Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The Spurs are in the process of forming like Voltron

They saw the Cavs improve and felt the call in their hearts once again. The need to rise up and do battle with their natural enemy. Lebron must be opposed at the summit where he is at his weakest!

Also they don't trust those other western bamas to get it done after OKC folded so easily.

They saw the Cavs improve and felt the call in their hearts once again. The need to rise up and do battle with their natural enemy. Lebron must be opposed at the summit where he is at his weakest!

Also they don't trust those other western bamas to get it done after OKC folded so easily.

I may need therapy if Cleveland & LeBron knocks us out of the playoffs again.

Golden State will probably win 66 games and still has a good chance to win 67. Should have been a lock to win 67 and threaten 68 but they dropped that one against New Orleans when they really should have won it. Whoever talked **** to Anthony Davis and made him go HAM needs to be slapped.

67 wins would be one of the best winning percentages ever, and the best we've seen since the '06-'07 Mavs, who also won 67. It would tie them for the sixth best record in NBA history. If they win 66, it'll tie them with the '12-'13 Heat, '08-'09 Cavs, and '07-'08 Celtics and also tie them for the 10th best winning percentage in league history.

For some context on how special their record could be, since the merger, only nine teams have won more than 80% of their games in a season (66+ wins). And those teams almost always did well in the postseason too. Only that '06-'07 Mavs team **** the bed in the playoffs by losing in the first round. The '08-'09 Cavs lost in their conference final to the Magic, a disappointment, but still a respectable run. All of the other seven teams won the championship.

Here's a list of all nine teams:

1.) '95-'96 Bulls went 72-10 and won the championship against the Sonics. Phil Jackson was coach of the year (his first time oddly enough) and Jordan was MVP

2.) '96-'97 Bulls went 69-13 and won the championship against the Jazz. Pat Riley was coach of the year (coached the 61 win two seed Heat). Karl Malone was MVP (led a 64 win Jazz team). Even still, Malone probably won the award because of Jordan fatigue in the voters.

3.) '85-'86 Celtics went 67-15 and won the championship against the Rockets. Mike Fratello was COTY for a 50 win Hawks team. I don't know why KC Jones didn't win it, before my time, but I'd guess he wasn't a particularly well regarded coach. Larry Bird was MVP.

4.) '91-'92 Bulls also went 67-15 and they won the championship against the Blazers. Don Nelson won his third COTY award with a 55 win Warriors team. My guess for why he won it over Jackson is because Jackson was not as well regarded at that point as Nellie was. Jordan won MVP.

5.) '99-'00 Lakers won 67 games too and they beat the Pacers in the Finals. Doc Rivers won COTY with a 41 win Magic team. Why he got the award over Phil is inexplicable and indefensible. Shaq was MVP.

6.) As previously mentioned, the '06-'07 Mavs won 67 games and got upset in the first round by the Warriors. A stunning outcome in retrospect, really fueled the "Dirk is soft" narrative for several years. But it's worth noting this was the first "one star" team to win 80% of their games. Sam Mitchell won COTY for a 47 win Raptors team. Avery Johnson had won it the year before and voters don't like to give it to the same coach in consecutive years. Dirk was MVP.

7.) The '07-'08 Celtics went 66-16 and beat the Lakers in the Final. Byron Scott won COTY with a 56 win Hornets team. They were a breakout team that year and it's becoming clear that the award voters don't like giving the award to coach of the powerhouse 1 seed with multiple All Stars. Kobe Bryant won his lifetime achievement MVP despite more deserving seasons from CP3 and LeBron. This Celtics team is notable because they're the only team to win 80% of their games without a real MVP candidate. Even now, it's hard to say whether Pierce or KG was the definitive leader of that team. And neither had the kind of individual season deserving of the award.

8.) Once again, the '08-'09 Cavs won 66 games and lost to the Magic in the ECF. Mike Brown rode LeBron's coattails to the COTY award even though he's a joke of a coach. LeBron won the MVP of course. Like the '06-'07 Mavs, this team is interesting as the only other "one star" team to break the 80% mark since the merger. It's a testament to both LeBron's historic greatness and competitiveness in this period of his career, as well as the ****ty state of the EC, that Cleveland won this many games. This was probably the flimsiest team in the group, they were not particularly good outside of LeBron.

9.) And the last team is that great '12-'13 Miami team that had the 27 game winning streak and just beat San Antonio in the Finals. George Karl won COTY for the 57 win Nuggets (and was then promptly fired). LeBron won his fourth MVP. This team was loaded and LeBron was going through some of the best individual play of his career. But strangely, they wore down by the playoffs and showed some cracks against the Pacers and Spurs. They went into the Finals as heavy favorites against the Spurs, but actually came very close to losing.

Anyway, looking at those teams leads me to conclude that the COTY award is a joke with nebulous standards and doesn't have a good track record of actually being given to the best coach. Phil Jackson only won the award once despite being the coach of four of the best teams ever. That's the same number of times as a friggin joke like Mike Brown. Sam Mitchell, of whom I have zero recollection, was fired following the season after he won the award, and George Karl was fired immediately after he won it. Based on that, who knows who wins it this year? Probably Budenholzer or Kerr, and I think both are deserving. Both are coaching break-out teams that unexpectedly won 60 games. Budenholzer did it in a much weaker conference, but also did it without the MVP. Edge probably goes to him even though I think what Kerr achieved was a lot more special.

But Steph Curry is definitely the MVP. It would be a travesty if James Harden won it and it would go against 40 years of well established precedent in the award. The only two times the leader of a team as good as Golden State hasn't won it were when:

1.) There was no clear MVP candidate on the team, nor was it clear whether KG or Pierce was the team leader.

2.) They got tired of giving it to Jordan and the guy who won it led his team to 64 wins and had already established himself as one of the greatest ever.

#1 ain't the case with this Golden State team--Curry is the clear leader and has put up MVP caliber individual numbers

#2 certainly ain't the case either. Voters obviously aren't fatigued with Curry and James Harden and this Houston team certainly aren't Karl Malone and his Jazz team.

So stop resisting Curry as MVP Predicto. Just enjoy it because this season was incredibly special and it might never happen again.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

The Knicks & Magic just set a NBA record with a combined 15 points in the 2nd quarter.

And ESPN will cover the game extensively because basketball media is convinced the Knicks matter to anyone other than their fans.

One of the many things to like about the NFL is that they don't force feed you news and highlights about teams no one cares about just because they are a major media market. This year I've seen entirely too much of the LAL and NYK. Probably more than I've seen the Hawks and Grizzlies.

My nightmare is a Cleveland versus Clippers or Rockets final. I would have to root Cavs. I would ABSOLUTELY prefer an Atlanta vs Memphis final.

A Warriors vs Cavs final would be pretty fun but I'd rather see ATL or Chicago make it. Would also love to see Portland in the Final but they are depleted. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas or San Antonio in another Finals.

Hate to see anyone try to come down on Russell Westbrook for willing his team, my God.  54 Pts (21-43 FG) tonight, and he had 9 Rebounds and 8 Assists to go along with it, but its all for not.  He also got his 16th Tech of the season late in the 4th quarter, which is huge because that means he's suspended for 1 game if the tech is not rescinded by tomorrow.  NO is currently winning right now, so it might be congrats Pelicans after tomorrow night.

Edit:  Hold the phone, NO had a 8 point lead late in the 3rd Quarter against Houston, but now trail by 9 in the 4th Quarter.  Maybe its not over for the Thunder yet.

Edited by samy316