Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I wont say no chance. He has to have an all time great season

But you are right, the odds are stacked against him.

I don't know, even MJ's all time great season in 87-88 was still for a three seed. To get it as a 7 or 8 seed, Davis would probably have to put up the best numbers ever. And New Orleans would actually have to scare people. And there could be no legit MVP candidates on the top seeds.

I don't think he actually deserves the MVP anyway. It's one thing to put up crazy numbers on a sketchy team. It's another to play great basketball. He's going to win MVP awards eventually, but right now he doesn't deserve it. The whole case for him is really based off individual efficiency numbers that overrate the contribution of scoring front court players doing all the rebounding for their teams. That's why Kevin Love got so much run as the best PF in the league despite the fact he's now just the third best player and is putting up very ordinary numbers on a real team.

Interesting and lengthy article on Adrian Wojnarowski, especially this part:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

In 2010, the NBA fined Dumars $500,000 for leaking multiple confidential league memos to Wojnarowski, according to multiple sources. This matches the third largest publicly known fine the league has ever handed down. The NBA decided that too many memos were making it into the media, so they conducted a sting operation over several months. They would change a few words or numbers in different team’s copies of otherwise identical memos, so that when the memos leaked they could spot the small differences and trace them back to the leaker. This approach caught Dumars red-handed, as well as an executive from another team who was fined $12,500 for leaking to a draft-focused website. Joe Dumars, the Detroit Pistons, and the NBA all declined to comment on the fine.

I hadn't heard about that.

If we could afford to add him I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Nene with another big with a variety to his offensive game. Wittman would have him playing the best defense of his life and his fg% would jump here. Washington is not dysfunctional Detroit. (Can't believe I just wrote that)

We don't have the space to add him though.

I don't want any players who may potentially upset the finances beyond the next two years. We need to have as much cap space as possible to keep Beal, sign Kevin Durant, while still having Wall under contract with a max deal. 

Interesting and lengthy article on Adrian Wojnarowski, especially this part:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

I hadn't heard about that.

The Redskins need to do something similar to find out who the leaker is for the Redskins. 

The owner of the Kings is a crazy person.

"Defense is great, but we need defense and offense," the Kings owner said. "We need to go from a rules-based organization, which was important when you had chaos, to a values-based organization -- from kind of a programmatic offense to a read-and-respond, free-flowing offense.

"I like to use a music metaphor. We had a Sousa marching band, which was needed when there was chaos. But now we need to shift to a jazz band, where people can be individually showcased and improvised. What we need is a jazz director. I think that's the kind of leadership moving forward

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/71550/vivek-ranadive-looking-for-a-jazz-director

He speaks as if the Kings issues have been solved for years and that their former coach could take them no further. That's a hell of a journey to complete in around 20 games.

Edited by Destino

The owner of the Kings is a crazy person.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/71550/vivek-ranadive-looking-for-a-jazz-director

He speaks as if the Kings issues have been solved for years and that their former coach could take them no further. That's a hell of a journey to complete in around 20 games.

He makes Dan Snyder seem hands off. I am massively entertained by Vivek, and fairly aroused by his wannabe pop star daughter Anjali. I hope he owns the Kings for a long, long time. I just read their brain trust is still attempting to add Josh Smith to their bizarre roster.

Hawks with a 20 point lead on the Cavs headed into the 4th. Kyrie with a respectable 6 assists tonight.

However, Shelvin Mack has 24 points and Schroder has a double-double so he's doing a heckuva job on D.

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy

It was a good trade. A serious upgrade at PG for some bench players and crappy draft picks and a trade exception. It's because of the injury and the fact he's in the last year of his deal. Remember when people were talking about a straight up Rondo for Westbrook deal?

We'll see how this year plays out, but this is a dream situation for Rondo on paper. The Mavs should have a good chance at keeping him this summer.

The net effect on a Mavs team that already had the best offense in the league isn't going to be as big as you'd think. They need to get better on defense. Rondo will help some. But the problem is the wings are absolutely terrible defensive players. Ellis and Parsons can't defend their position at all.

SM - the deal was contingent on getting Rondo's commitment to signing an extension in Dallas.  He's staying. 

What's amazing is that Dallas (currently) has $43M committed in salary on their books for the 15/16 season.  Obviously that will change w/ Rondo re-upping, but they have positioned themselves to do some great things with their roster going forward.  Chandler Parsons is the highest paid Mav, making 15 mil....next highest (in 15/16) is dirk...making 8 Million!  Insane....but it shows how much Dirk wants to win. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 2

They're well positioned. They need to keep Chandler and Rondo this summer and that'll cost money. But they'll be worth it. Can you think of a better PG/C combo to go with Dirk?

I like Parsons for the team too. And I like Devin Harris as the back up PG.

Ellis has been very valuable to them, but he might not be worth the cost of keeping him moving forward. Especially because of how weak the combo of him and Parsons is on the perimeter. This might be where it would have been better to get Trevor Ariza than Chandler Parsons.

What's done is done though, and you can't let a scorer like Ellis walk for nothing without a plan for a starting caliber SG in place. Their next big step needs to be bringing in a 3 and D wing that can play a lot of minutes and they're going to need to find an athletic big to spell Chandler and replace some of Wright's production.

I like this Mavs construction. Their ownership and management is fantastic. Their coaching is fantastic. And they've got good players who fit together. Dirk is going age gracefully and retire a universally respected winner. I like it. The exact opposite of what Kobe's done.

They're well positioned. They need to keep Chandler and Rondo this summer and that'll cost money. But they'll be worth it. Can you think of a better PG/C combo to go with Dirk?

I like Parsons for the team too. And I like Devin Harris as the back up PG.

Ellis has been very valuable to them, but he might not be worth the cost of keeping him moving forward. Especially because of how weak the combo of him and Parsons is on the perimeter. This might be where it would have been better to get Trevor Ariza than Chandler Parsons.

What's done is done though, and you can't let a scorer like Ellis walk for nothing without a plan for a starting caliber SG in place. Their next big step needs to be bringing in a 3 and D wing that can play a lot of minutes and they're going to need to find an athletic big to spell Chandler and replace some of Wright's production.

I like this Mavs construction. Their ownership and management is fantastic. Their coaching is fantastic. And they've got good players who fit together. Dirk is going age gracefully and retire a universally respected winner. I like it. The exact opposite of what Kobe's done.

I think both Ellis and the Mavs have to figure out a way to keep him there. That guy has never been this good, and the Mavs haven't had a perimiter player like him in forever. Ellis seemed like a guy transitioning to the role of 15 PPG scorer who switiches teams every year until he is out of basketball at age 33 when he came to Dallas. Now, he legitimately looks like someone who could be the leading scorer on a Finals team. Carlisle changed his career.

As for Dallas....their offense loses all of its flexibility without him.

They have to stay together.

its not

People made their minds up about Kobe the day he entered the league and played and sorta acted like that MJ fella and then actually got somewhere close to that level of play. As if every kid born between 1977-1993 did not try to play like Michael Jordan.

Its been held against Kobe as if Jordan was the originator of basketball and that he didnt take some from David Thompson, Dr. J, and Walter Davis (yes, Walter Davis).

its not

People made their minds up about Kobe the day he entered the league and played and sorta acted like that MJ fella and then actually got somewhere close to that level of play. As if every kid born between 1977-1993 did not try to play like Michael Jordan.

Its been held against Kobe as if Jordan was the originator of basketball and that he didnt take some from David Thompson, Dr. J, and Walter Davis (yes, Walter Davis).

yes... added to the fact that Kobe is a completely unlikable turd.   

(although MJ somehow gets a free pass on the same unlikable turd charge)

• Like 2

its not

Elgin Baylor.  I know Kobe has watched lots of film on Elgin.