Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Tatum is something else.  Imagine if the 76ers hadn’t outsmarted themselves and drafted him instead of Fultz.  

Fultz was the consensus #1 at the time.  He was a beast in college that looked like the next Damian Lillard/James Harden type volume scoring guard.  He is one of the most extreme cases of a dude just utterly losing his talent that I can remember.  Like the F Scott Fitzgerald of basketball.  Some guys just aren't cut out for the league mentally or are bad cultural fits or whatever.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fultz was the consensus #1 at the time.  He was a beast in college that looked like the next Damian Lillard/James Harden type volume scoring guard.  He is one of the most extreme cases of a dude just utterly losing his talent that I can remember.  Like the F Scott Fitzgerald of basketball.  Some guys just aren't cut out for the league mentally or are bad cultural fits or whatever.

Why are you saying **** Scott Fitzgerald? what did Scott Fitzgerald do to you?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I don’t know why I enjoy watching the Knicks lose.  I even like their players, but there’s just something about New York losing that appeals to me.  

Time for the Luka show.  

it's their classless fans

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fultz was a PG and they already had a PG. It never made a lot of sense to pair him with Simmons. They had the opportunity to lock in the perfect SF option. It's one of the worst draft pick mistakes in history. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

Fultz was a PG and they already had a PG. It never made a lot of sense to pair him with Simmons. They had the opportunity to lock in the perfect SF option. It's one of the worst draft pick mistakes in history. 

Especially considering they traded up to do it.  

Hard to see it as one of the worst though after watching Luka in the playoffs and remembering the Kings passed on him for some guy I can’t remember.  Passed on Trae Young too. 

Milwaukee frustrated the NBA media by signing Giannis to an extension without drama and not overreacting and firing Budenholzer--a great coach.  And then they just kind of did their thing, got into a playoff rematch of the ECF, and then pounded the team they lost to in the bubble.  They're good when they fly under the radar.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Milwaukee frustrated the NBA media by signing Giannis to an extension without drama and not overreacting and firing Budenholzer--a great coach.  And then they just kind of did their thing, got into a playoff rematch of the ECF, and then pounded the team they lost to in the bubble.  They're good when they fly under the radar.

They made a hell of a statement by sweeping the team that beat them last year.  I don’t think they have the fire power to take down the Nets, which look like prohibitive favorites on paper, but they’ve clearly improved.  

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

They made a hell of a statement by sweeping the team that beat them last year.  I don’t think they have the fire power to take down the Nets, which look like prohibitive favorites on paper, but they’ve clearly improved.  

I could see any of the top three seeds advancing to the Finals.  They're all good and led by dominant players.  But I think Brooklyn has a clear Achilles Heel in their defense.  They remind me of those mid aughts Phoenix teams and Milwaukee are like Dallas and the 76ers are San Antonio

Edited by stevemcqueen1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could see any of the top three seeds advancing to the Finals.  They're all good and led by dominant players.  But I think Brooklyn has a clear Achilles Heel in their defense.  They remind me of those mid aughts Phoenix teams and Milwaukee are like Dallas and the 76ers are San Antonio

Those Phoenix teams couldn’t win any game in which the score was within single digits with 5minutes left to play.  The Nets probably have three nearly unstoppable scoring options.  You can’t double anyone of them to force a better (for the defense) option.  Beating them requires what the Celtics did, entering crunch time with a big lead.  

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Those Phoenix teams couldn’t win any game in which the score was within single digits with 5minutes left to play.  The Nets probably have three nearly unstoppable scoring options.  You can’t double anyone of them to force a better (for the defense) option.  Beating them requires what the Celtics did, entering crunch time with a big lead.  

You can beat them by scoring more efficiently than them, which wasn't that uncommon this year because they were 23rd in defensive rating.  Their offense is the most potent in the NBA this year, but that defense is so unbelievably soft that I doubt they are a serious threat to win the championship.  I don't think it's one of those deals where they can flip the switch for a series and play great defense either, I think they just lack the personnel to do it and Steve Nash has never really been known for caring about defense.  Almost all of the other contenders are much more balanced than them and don't have to rely on individual heroics to win.  All it takes is for Kyrie Irving to tweak an ankle and/or James Harden to have a playoff regression before Brooklyn starts looking like they're in trouble.