Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most overrated/underrated Redskins of all time

Hitman21ST

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

Lavar, it's been said to death, but it's all true.

D. Williams, had a great few games, and really that's it. Deserves his place in history, but folks forget how otherwise mediocre he was.

Underrated:

K. Harvey, how people can forget about this guy amazes me.

L. Centers, since i am already talkng about former cardinals who came here to shine. . .

J. Lachey, people think hog they always mention Jacoby (not wrong) but where's the love for the LT?

You are so right about Ken Harvey. He was the last great pass rusher for the Redskins. I wish Orakpo had what Harvey had. He would be a 20 sack a year linebacker.   

Lol, I like CT I was one of the first to detail how he could help this offense.

But its too early when fans are calling him the next Darren Sproles and that hes better then Reggie Bush.

Thats overrated.

The problem here is taking a minority opinion and substituting it for the more sensible "he could really help our offense" approach.

I think I wrote that he could become our Darren Sproles, but I never said he was the next Sproles.

Lol, I like CT I was one of the first to detail how he could help this offense.

But its too early when fans are calling him the next Darren Sproles and that hes better then Reggie Bush.

Thats overrated.

The problem here is taking a minority opinion and substituting it for the more sensible "he could really help our offense" approach.

I think I wrote that he could become our Darren Sproles, but I never said he was the next Sproles.

Your problem is two fold.

First you assume that I am refering specifically to you, I wasn't.

Second you don't see the freakin chasm of difference between thinking someone could help our offense and fans that proclaim CT's impact next year will be greater then the impact of CJ Spiller, Ben Tate made as rookies and will be match the impact of Darren Sproles and that he's already a better runner then Reggie Bush. And

But now DG has taken it to an all new level - Seriously Tom Compton over rated ? How ? I know some people think he might be a guy to watch for the future - some fans are hyping him, but I do not see a single real news report saying he is the next big thing at OT ..He was a late round pick and he was a project that needs an NFL program to get him up to speed and he has some potential but from the media, I have not heard him mentioned as a legitimate challenge to Polombus - who is universally under rated, he was BAD but not as bad as people want to make out .

lol,  Pro Football Focus ranked your 'universally under rated RT' ranked 77th out of 80 graded tackles on the entire season last year with an overall grade of -24. They also had him joint 4th in the league in quarterback hurries allowed with 42

BTW-My list is based on this forum not on the media and enough people on this forum have a higher opinion of Compton then his play suggests.

>And Chris Thompson - really - he has not even had a full NFL practice and he is over rated, but not just over rated but one of the most over rated redskin players of all time --- most casual fans are not even going to know who this guy is or what position he plays ...

Ah, good old fashioned internet discussion board tactics...I clearly stated my list was of the present, but why let that get in the way of an inaccurate quote/false claim?

Then you have Albert Haynesworth on the under rated list ... in 2009 - because well he was a force ... of something ..

Do you remember Haynesworths 2009 season? Here's a challenge for you post his stats from that year. Look the guy is a turd. But, just because he's a turd doesn't mean you get to dismiss the times he played well.

Okay - I will play - According to NFL.com 37 tackles 4 sacks 5 PD 12 games played - his best as a redskin - Oh and lets not forget when Andre Carter and Orakpo (another on your over rated list) were piling up the sacks - Fat ass was not on the field .. I recall us moving P Daniels inside which generated a lot of pass rush ..

On your over rated list - Adam Carriker - playing the less glamorous 3-4 DE (but i take as roughly equivalent to a 4-3 DT)  - a position Fat Ass didn't want to play- didn't cost a 100 million contract, hasn't created a massive circus, hasn't thrown football coaches under the bus, and turned his career around after being a massive bust in St Louis, (mostly due to injuries)  to a solid starter ... and thats the only thing I have heard him talked about, that or as being a place holder for Jarvis Jenkins - and yet he had in his best year as a skin 34 tackles 5.5. sacks and 0 passed defensed  in 15 GS .

Also how is your list over-rated / under rated of present day and yet you are putting players like Big Al ... and Carlos Rogers (and i do agree Rogers was a really good cover CB who could not catch here - and was much maligned ..

it is all very confusing ..

Also if you are rating people because you get pissed off about listening about them from raving fans .. and not for any other reason then perhaps you need to stop listening to them ..

Weird to see somebody defending Albert Haynesworth.  He was so obviously overrated I didn't even think it was worth mentioning.  I'm not saying he could not be good when he felt like playing, he was after all the prototypical DT physically speaking, but he was way overrated.  Even if he didn't quit on the team, which he did, at no time did he look like he should be the highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL, but he was.

There was a time when people actually used to read other posts before jumping to conclusions.

More and more now it seems people just skim a post as decide to disgaree with something in it. But when they reply they either don't use to quote feature to avoid being burden by actually responding to what the poster actually wrote or they quote but the reply doesn't address the thoughts being expressed in the quote. Rather they respond to what they want to regardless of what the poster wrote., even if what they disagree with isn't even what the post actually said.

But now DG has taken it to an all new level - Seriously Tom Compton over rated ? How ? I know some people think he might be a guy to watch for the future - some fans are hyping him, but I do not see a single real news report saying he is the next big thing at OT ..He was a late round pick and he was a project that needs an NFL program to get him up to speed and he has some potential but from the media, I have not heard him mentioned as a legitimate challenge to Polombus - who is universally under rated, he was BAD but not as bad as people want to make out .

lol,  Pro Football Focus ranked your 'universally under rated RT' ranked 77th out of 80 graded tackles on the entire season last year with an overall grade of -24. They also had him joint 4th in the league in quarterback hurries allowed with 42

BTW-My list is based on this forum not on the media and enough people on this forum have a higher opinion of Compton then his play suggests.

>>And Chris Thompson - really - he has not even had a full NFL practice and he is over rated, but not just over rated but one of the most over rated redskin players of all time --- most casual fans are not even going to know who this guy is or what position he plays ...

lockquote>

Ah, good old fashioned internet discussion board tactics...I clearly stated my list was of the present, but why let that get in the way of an inaccurate quote/false claim?

> Then you have Albert Haynesworth on the under rated list ... in 2009 - because well he was a force ... of something ..

Do you remember Haynesworths 2009 season? Here's a challenge for you post his stats from that year. Look the guy is a turd. But, just because he's a turd doesn't mean you get to dismiss the times he played well.

Okay - I will play - According to NFL.com 37 tackles 4 sacks 5 PD 12 games played - his best as a redskin -

Which according to Football Outsiders is good for being the 11th ranked DT(Under Tackle) he also played 75% of the snaps more then any other Redskins DL and near tops in the NFL. So yeah in 2009 he was under rated, he was still a jerk but he had a good season that very few fans give him credit for having.

Also if you are rating people because you get pissed off about listening about them from raving fans .. and not for any other reason then perhaps you need to stop listening to them ..

Why would I be pissed? I like CT and I'm always optimistic about our rookie in general. But I try not to look at the team through burgundy colored glasses, I try to remain objective and make football honest statements. I don't see CT as having the huge impact many fans think he poised to have.

WOW Chris Thompson on a "Most Overrated Redskins" list? LMAOOOO Dude hasn't even played a down yet and he's already one of the most overrated Redskins?, never-mind that 50% of the fanbase doesn't even know who he is. 

Then Albert Haynesworth underrated? LMFAOOOOO This guy?

In my opinion an Underrated Ex Redskin our fanbase never talks about is Rock Cartwright. He was a special teams STUD and would give you everything he had with every opportunity he was given. I remember him being one of the few bright spots we had during those dark years (Though in a VERY VERY VERY VERY Limited role since he only played special teams and RB sparingly) lmao 

He was also one of the few players that Shanahan got rid of that found a new home on another team. A 10 year career for a 7th round pick drafted out of Kansas ST, kudos to Rock for a solid career, most 7th rounders don't play that long. 

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

D. Williams, had a great few games, and really that's it. Deserves his place in history, but folks forget how otherwise mediocre he was.

Underrated:

L. Centers, since i am already talkng about former cardinals who came here to shine. . .

J. Lachey, people think hog they always mention Jacoby (not wrong) but where's the love for the LT?

You are so right about Ken Harvey. He was the last great pass rusher for the Redskins. I wish Orakpo had what Harvey had. He would be a 20 sack a year linebacker.   

Gawd, how'd I miss Larry Centers and Ken Harvey...that's how underrated they were.  I agree with that list, but I want to kill rick1796 for putting Sean Taylor in the overrated list.

One person i'd like to add to the overrated list is, Cary Conklin.  This is just because I, personally, overrated him as the next great quarterback as a kid.  I'm probably the only one that thought of him in that way, lol.

Since we keep talking about tight ends, how about James Jenkins for the underrated list?  He was rarely, and I mean RARELY, used as a receiver but he was such a large body and good blocker, it was like having a 6th offensive lineman.  I personally loved him.

I'll also throw in Kelvin Bryant.  Loved him and he had a Brian Westbrook-type feel to him.  To bad his injury cut his time short...I think he could have been a consistent contributor.

I'm just going to put this out there because.  If we are talking over/under rated by a fanbase.... Underrated...Sammy Baugh.  I'm not sure a large part of our fanbase really understands who he was and what a player he was.  I know time dims memories, but Slingin Sammy may to this day be one of the best football players to ever play.  Hail.

I'd never claim Chris was a HoF player. That's homerism and then some. Hell, he's not even our all time best TE. 

But he was up there with the very best in the league at his position through the main duration of his career and there's not much more you can ask of a guy than that. 

Hail. 

Passing yards ranking among TEs for Chris Cooley 

2004 - 21st 

2005 - 6th 

2006 - 7th 

2007 - 5th 

2008 - 4th

2009 - injured 

2010 - 3rd

2011 - injured 

2012 - didn't get on the field much

I'd say 5 out of 9 season in the top ten of the league for his position makes him a pretty good TE.  Is he great?  No.  He was easily one of  the best TEs in the NFL when he was healthy however and his production showed that.  

Fred Davis has been more over rated if we define it as results not matching production.  He has had one good year (2011) but it ended on a sour note because he decided smoking weed was a grand idea.  2012 started off strong but he couldn't stay healthy.  I've been hearing about how he's better than Cooley since he arrived on the team and 5 seasons later he's got one top ten finish in yards by a tight end.  Production doesn't match the hype.  

Other over rated players... seemingly every late round pick before they ether get cut or see the field and show that they aren't very good.  I've seen coaches slammed for not playing guys.  Fans demanding that veterans be cut to make room for the younger players, seemingly for no reason other than youth and hype.  Every year we get all crazy excited over bad players like Niles Paul.  

I'd never claim Chris was a HoF player. That's homerism and then some. Hell, he's not even our all time best TE. 

But he was up there with the very best in the league at his position through the main duration of his career and there's not much more you can ask of a guy than that. 

Hail. 

Passing yards ranking among TEs for Chris Cooley 

2004 - 21st 

2005 - 6th 

2006 - 7th 

2007 - 5th 

2008 - 4th

2009 - injured 

2010 - 3rd

2011 - injured 

2012 - didn't get on the field much

I'd say 5 out of 9 season in the top ten of the league for his position makes him a pretty good TE.  Is he great?  No.  He was easily one of  the best TEs in the NFL when he was healthy however and his production showed that.  

Fred Davis has been more over rated if we define it as results not matching production.  He has had one good year (2011) but it ended on a sour note because he decided smoking weed was a grand idea.  2012 started off strong but he couldn't stay healthy.  I've been hearing about how he's better than Cooley since he arrived on the team and 5 seasons later he's got one top ten finish in yards by a tight end.  Production doesn't match the hype.  

Other over rated players... seemingly every late round pick before they ether get cut or see the field and show that they aren't very good.  I've seen coaches slammed for not playing guys.  Fans demanding that veterans be cut to make room for the younger players, seemingly for no reason other than youth and hype.  Every year we get all crazy excited over bad players like Niles Paul.  

Calling Niles Paul a bad player is unfair.  He's a monster on special teams.  And he changed position last year to TE from WR.  It's not going to be seamless.  If he was a bad player, he wouldn't be on the team.  Let his position change play out.  The Shanahans obviously see something in him.  Hail.

>>>And Chris Thompson - really - he has not even had a full NFL practice and he is over rated, but not just over rated but one of the most over rated redskin players of all time --- most casual fans are not even going to know who this guy is or what position he plays ...

lockquote>

> Then you have Albert Haynesworth on the under rated list ... in 2009 - because well he was a force ... of something ..

lockquote>

Okay - I will play - According to NFL.com 37 tackles 4 sacks 5 PD 12 games played - his best as a redskin -

Which according to Football Outsiders is good for being the 11th ranked DT(Under Tackle) he also played 75% of the snaps more then any other Redskins DL and near tops in the NFL. So yeah in 2009 he was under rated, he was still a jerk but he had a good season that very few fans give him credit for having

11th rated DT in the league ? - that would be a good season for someone like C Grifiin or Golsten - Albert Haynesworth was the $100 million guy - he was supposed to be the best in the league - The expectations would be top 5 player at his position - hell in 2009 the Redskins defense was 4th over all .. a guy like Haynesworth posting stats like that - is not impressive - and is kind of underachieving on a defense that was so effective

Why would I be pissed? I like CT and I'm always optimistic about our rookie in general. But I try not to look at the team through burgundy colored glasses, I try to remain objective and make football honest statements. I don't see CT as having the huge impact many fans think he poised to have.

There is a world of difference between not being a 'homer' and being objective - You have clearly shown you cannot be objective calling a ho hum year from Albert Haynesworth - i repeat a 100 million $$$ guy - the sweetheart of the free agency - national media were comparing him hitting the FA to Reggie White back in the day - hell the man himself compared himself to Reggie White in terms of the impact he expected to have - as one of the under rated player performances of recent times - he really wasn't not compared with reasonable expectations .. 

And this is the crux - Over rated to me refers to plays who have not performed to his expectations - this is why Niles Paul is to me not over rated - because for all the talk of him being Shannon Sharpe like - he was a WR who has shown they were a better blocker than reciever - he has good speed and was taken late in the draft as  a project - for all the talk i expected him to struggle last year and to be honest i don't expect he will ever be anything other than a special teams stand out   - Chris Thompson - all i have heard is talk and potential, and again from fans - nothing more- he was not brought in as a top round pick to pin our hopes on - or an expensive free agent - he is a mid round rookie with potential upside and who has not played a down - do i have high hopes for him - after Al Morris it is hard not too - but edge that with caution because of the injuries he has had - but it is really unfair to call some one over rated as a redskin before he has even put on the uniform ... do you not see that? He could be our next Sproles, or Bush - or more than likely he will be our version of Chris Thompson .. 

overrated:

Underrated:

Sean Taylor overrated? WOW, he was a top 3 safety in the league by the time he hit year 3 in his career, it takes time to develop. look at Calvin Johnson, he just now took over the top WR spot in year 5 of his career, but before that people would ask "When is he going to put it together? He's too talented to have these solid but not elite seasons" . Sean Taylor entered the league as a DEVASTATING hitter with ok coverage ability by year 3 he started to cover very well and could still knock you out. He garners his first pro bowl selection by year 3 and the entire league fears him, heck you had running backs falling to the ground before Sean could get a hit on them. By year 4, Sean Taylor was leading the entire NFL in interceptions, let me repeat by year 4 of his career he was leading the entire league in interceptions before his life was taken.

So if fans big up Sean Taylor it's because it was warranted, polamalu and Reed played on winning teams, Sean Taylor didn't I could only imagine if Sean Taylor played for the steelers or ravens he would be illegal. 

Just watch that 30 minute video of all sean taylors plays, no possible way you could call THAT overrated. The guy was just about to hit his prime before his life was taken and still he was feared by ANYBODY who had to line up in front of him. Go look up how scared the "Hall of Famer" T.O was of sean taylor lmao. 

11th rated DT in the league ? - that would be a good season for someone like C Grifiin or Golsten - Albert Haynesworth was the $100 million guy - he was supposed to be the best in the league - The expectations would be top 5 player at his position - hell in 2009 the Redskins defense was 4th over all .. a guy like Haynesworth posting stats like that - is not impressive - and is kind of underachieving on a defense that was so effective

Your post above proves my point that his 2009 was under rated because you still can't bring yourself to give him credit for having a good season. And, you probably only give him the smidge of credit that you have because I made you post the stats. Most fans don't even remember him being productive at all. Because Albert is a jerk most fans revisionist history makes them believe that his 2009 season was like his other seasons in Burgundy and Gold when clearly it wasn't.

But, its funny that you mention 'the expectations would be a top 5 player at his position'. So if Haynesworth was a top 5 DT then you would admit his season 2009 season was under rated?

Well I'm gonna give you a chance to test your football honesty and overall honesty as a poster. Football Outisders had him Haynesworth ranked 11th and 6th but I didn't post his ranking form Pro Football Focus:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/06/making-the-grade-4-3-defensive-tackles/

3. Albert Haynesworth, Washington Redskins

Fair to say things haven’t gone exactly to plan in Washington for the former Titan. Staggeringly though, when he’s been on the field he continues to be as good a DT as there is out there (even though he may be as scrutinized a defensive player as there is). Despite the pretty low sack totals in Washington, in his first year there, he was a top five defensive tackle and not that far off his best year. Even last year he generated pressure in the sub package defense. If you can get him playing his best then he’s a bargain whatever the price.

Grade: +60.75

ME: Why would I be pissed? I like CT and I'm always optimistic about our rookie in general. But I try not to look at the team through burgundy colored glasses, I try to remain objective and make football honest statements. I don't see CT as having the huge impact many fans think he poised to have.

YOU: Chris Thompson - all i have heard is talk and potential, and again from fans - nothing more- he was not brought in as a top round pick to pin our hopes on - or an expensive free agent - he is a mid round rookie with potential upside and who has not played a down - do i have high hopes for him - after Al Morris it is hard not too - but edge that with caution because of the injuries he has had - but it is really unfair to call some one over rated as a redskin before he has even put on the uniform ... do you not see that? He could be our next Sproles, or Bush - or more than likely he will be our version of Chris Thompson ..

Again, your post makes my point. Chris Thompson is a mid round rookie with potential and upside. But the expectations that he make a 'huge impact' this season or that 'he will have an impact like Darren Sproles' or 'he's already a better runner then Reggie Bush' these are all sentiments that have been posted about CT. And the discussions haven't been about 'potential' the discussion were specifically about what level of production they expect from CT as rookie. Those aren't the rookie season expectations of a mid round rookie draft pick.

Hence over rated.

overrated:

Sean Taylor overrated? WOW, he was a top 3 safety in the league by the time he hit year 3 in his career, it takes time to develop. look at Calvin Johnson, he just now took over the top WR spot in year 5 of his career, but before that people would ask "When is he going to put it together? He's too talented to have these solid but not elite seasons" . Sean Taylor entered the league as a DEVASTATING hitter with ok coverage ability by year 3 he started to cover very well and could still knock you out. He garners his first pro bowl selection by year 3 and the entire league fears him, heck you had running backs falling to the ground before Sean could get a hit on them. By year 4, Sean Taylor was leading the entire NFL in interceptions, let me repeat by year 4 of his career he was leading the entire league in interceptions before his life was taken.

So if fans big up Sean Taylor it's because it was warranted, polamalu and Reed played on winning teams, Sean Taylor didn't I could only imagine if Sean Taylor played for the steelers or ravens he would be illegal. 

Just watch that 30 minute video of all sean taylors plays, no possible way you could call THAT overrated. The guy was just about to hit his prime before his life was taken and still he was feared by ANYBODY who had to line up in front of him. Go look up how scared the "Hall of Famer" T.O was of sean taylor lmao. 

To add to your point...here is where Sean Taylor ranked among safeties between 2004-2007:

Passes Defensed: 3rd

Interceptions: 5th

Number of games played: 33rd

overrated:

To add to your point...here is where Sean Taylor ranked among safeties between 2004-2007:

Passes Defensed: 3rd

Interceptions: 5th

Number of games played: 33rd

THANK YOU, I think it's a crime to EVER put Sean Taylor on an overrated list. The guy was feared and respected around the league and he hadn't even hit his prime yet. I mean our own draft pick Phillip Thomas became a Redskin fan because of Sean Taylor and a LOT of the safety prospects in the draft continued to say "Sean Taylor was one of the safeties they tried to pattern their game after"

There was a time when people actually used to read other posts before jumping to conclusions.

More and more now it seems people just skim a post as decide to disgaree with something in it. But when they reply they either don't use to quote feature to avoid being burden by actually responding to what the poster actually wrote or they quote but the reply doesn't address the thoughts being expressed in the quote. Rather they respond to what they want to regardless of what the poster wrote., even if what they disagree with isn't even what the post actually said.

I thought Haynesworth could have been the best lineman in the league when he came here. He was certainly a respected, dirty, but respected tackle.  ;)

Haynesworth was an asshole who deserves no props. All in all his 2009 season was more good than bad, but his ****ty attitude and monster contract undermined all of that. Classic case of an athlete who got his money and then only decided to turn it on when he felt like it.

I'd say his 2009 season is more of a push than either an underrated or overrated season. We paid him to be gr

Thanks for posting that video DC, one more I'll add to the underrated list: Marcus Washington. I loved watching him play and his energy was contagious. He was another guy that always brought it and more often than not turned in a big play at an important time, and his talent was wasted on teams that could have and should have been much better.

Marcus Washington was my man. Loved when he hit that Ric Flair dance after a big play. I was so blown when he never recovered from his injuries...

Marcus Washington was an absolute blast to watch, whether it be making plays or doing whatever came into that noggin of his once the play was over. He, along with that entire defense, was wasted. That was a championship defense.

I'm just going to put this out there because.  If we are talking over/under rated by a fanbase.... Underrated...Sammy Baugh.  I'm not sure a large part of our fanbase really understands who he was and what a player he was.  I know time dims memories, but Slingin Sammy may to this day be one of the best football players to ever play.  Hail.

I think dyed in the wool Redskins fans know how important Baugh is to to the team's history and the history of the NFL, but they seem to be the only ones (outside of football historians).

One of the reasons why I'm more of a baseball fan than a football fan is because football fans and writers seem to have a very short memory, whereas baseball fans and writers (generally speaking) are walking, talking encyclopedias.

Archived