Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most overrated/underrated Redskins of all time

Hitman21ST

Well, it's time for another offseason thread. NFL.com is putting together a list of the all time underrated and overrated players for each team - 5 under and 5 over. Redskins don't get their turn until July 4th. Let's go ahead and put together our list and see how it matches up.

Underrated:

• Mike Sellers - The guy brought it every game, and he was around for two stints with the Skins (1998-2000 and 2004-2011). Loved seeing him run over people.
  • Art Monk - Yes, I think he was underrated. Around for all three Super Bowls and retired as the all-time receptions leader, but it took him far too long to get to the HoF and he hardly gets mentioned in the list of all time great receivers.
  • Ryan Kerrigan - What can you say about him? Two pick sixes in two years, improved on his rookie year sack total, without a rushing threat opposite him. Still don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

Overrated:

• Chris Cooley - Had a couple good years, but got much more hype than he deserved and the "legend" was more than the actual guy.
  • LaVar Arrington - High draft stock, only really lived up to it for a year or two. Once he started completely freelancing he took a major step down. Known only really for ending Aikman's career.
  • Brian Orakpo - This was a toss up really. He's averaged 9 sacks per season he's played (not counting last year's one game), which isn't horrible, but we expect him, rightly or wrongly, to put up 12-15 per season. That's why I have him as overrated.

I'll probably add more later, but that's who I can think of off the top of my head.

Landry could definitely fall in to overrated.  Lavar completely fits.  I feel like Shawn Springs was underrated around here, and Rogers will be seen as both.  He was overrated for where we drafted him as he rarely made game changing plays for us, but we ran him out of town when he was a solid coverage corner, better than the guys we have currently.

Overrated - Joe Theismann

Why do you say Theismann was overrated?

he was an average quarterback.  he gets extra fame points for the confluence of a lot of stuff that wasn't really his (onfield) doing:

1.  standing behind the GREATEST offensive line in the history of football.

2.  working under one of the greatest coaches of all time

3.  riggins, monk, green, charlie brown, and all the other extraordinary talent around him even aside from gibbs and the hogs

4.  the way he finished -- that gory leg break on monday night -- made people see him in a much more sympathetic light.

5. his flamboyant personality.  i hate it, but that always goes a long way towards building a legacy in the nfl, unfortunately.

theismann's golden years (82 and 83) were pretty much the same, numbers-wise, as ryp's 91 season, and yet theismann is thought of  as this wonderful redskins legend, and ryp was a just a journeyman lucky enough to stand behind behind the hogs and gibbs.  i think the disparity in perception is mostly due to their respective personalities, sadly.

Overrated: George Allen. Brought a winner to D.C. after decades of losing, but for a "winner" he couldn't do much in the playoffs. Plus, by all accounts, he was mean-spirited, paranoid and wasn't willing to win unless he could win his way.

Underrated: Santana Moss. As others have said in this thread, Moss has busted his butt for this team for nearly a decade and is the definition of clutch.

Underrated - Don Warren. Everyone (rightly) talks about the Hogs but Warren was as big a part of what made our power running game go as anyone else along the line. He was better as a receiver than he is given credit for as well but did not get many looks in the passing game. 

Overrated - I would have to say Doug Williams. He was a below average QB for most of his relatively brief time here. He was made the starter at the end of the 87 season going into the playoffs as much because of how inconsistent Schroeder had been as anything. He had a decent run in the playoffs and the best game of his entire life in the biggest game of his life. The next year he was poor when he played and then got injured. We should all be grateful for what Williams did against Denver and celebrate it - but apart from that game he really did not do much else as a Redskin.

I would give a (dis)honorable mention to LaVar Arrington in the overrated area as well ....

Overrated: LaRon Landry/ Jason Campbell. Hard to separate the steroid King and Captain Checkdown from (most, mainly the younger end admittedly) of this fanbase' (not so glorious) recent crushes.

Theismann and Williams are great shouts there too for all that's been mentioned above. 

Underrated: This one is a toughie.

From the present group, I'd put forward Steven Bowen. Dudes quietly and steadily pushed himself into the elite group of DE's in this league. Totally under the radar. And still pretty much totally unheralded. Josh Morgan would be the other off the current roster. 

All time, or at least through the last 30 years of my fan life, how about Ken Harvey? He never seemed to get the full appreciation from Redskins fans for his efforts. Even given the pro-Bowl seasons. Maybe it was the fact he played on some piss poor Norvell teams. Maybe it was the fact he was just the consummate professional who just did his job and shunned the limelight. (And boy did he do it well.  Premier pass rusher and tough ass lil' SOB.). But Ken never seemed to get the esteem his play deserved from ourselves. 

Both then and now as we look back on great 'Skins linebackers.

Hail. 

Underrated Jeff Bostic.  One of the original Hogs, he was always deemed too small and they kept trying to replace him, but he stuck, and captained one of the great lines of all time.  Every so often you hear that Jacoby or Lachey or other Hogs need to be in the HOF and probably Bostic isn't there, but he was one of the main constants and much better than people recall.

Overrated Norv Turner.  How this guy keeps getting Head Coaching jobs is baffling.  Is he even really that great an OC?  For some reason, this guy is beloved and really respected in the league, but he's exceedingly mediocre.

Underrated:  Joe Jacoby, Gary Clark, Brian Mitchell, Stephen Davis, Jon Jansen, London Fletcher

Overrated: Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Andre Johnson, Lavar Arrington, Laron Landy, Albert Haynesworth 

To be overrated a player has first of all to be 'rated". I think you will go a long way to find a Redskin fan who in anyway rates Heath Shuler or Andre Johnson (who were big draft busts) or has a good word in any way to say for Haynesworth.

One to add:

Overrated: Steve Spurrier - lots of sound and fury on his way in, and Osaka to boot. Only to end up like this

spurrier-lips-o.gif

Spurrier was a huge disappointment but again I dont think there are many Redskins fans who would say they rated him as an NFL coach. He was just a flop in his time here.

Over-rated:

God help me, but Moss is over-rated. I love the guy. Love his heart and his willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team, but he should never have been treated as a top WR for years like he was. He couldn't stay healthy enougj and wasn't consistant enough. We see now how effective he could have been as a second or third option, and that's what he should have been here his entire career.

Chris Cooley. Again, I love the guy, but the adoration he received for being an above average TE for a few years is I think unprecedented in this town. He's easily the most over-rated Redskin of his generation.

The 82 Hogs. I see it even in this thread when people say Theismann and Riggins had this awesome line in front of them. The Hogs in 82 were a bunch of VERY young players who hadn't developed their chemistry yet. They were not a dominant unit in 82 like they would some day become. We won that superbowl because of a fantastic defense, Riggins, and to a (much) lesser extent, Theismann's ability to extend plays with his mobility.

Under-rated:

Whoever said Don Warren is right on. Everyone mentions the linemen when they talk about our awesome like play in the 80s but rarely mention him. He deserves better.

Charles Mann. Everyone talks about Manley, but Mann was the anchor. Manley had a couple truly exceptional seasons, whereas Mann had a career. More pro-bowls. More superbowls ... if I had to take one on my team I'd take Mann.

I like the Art Monk mention, though now that he's in the Hall of Fame its tough to call him under-rated.

I guess I was more saying Spurrier for all the hype that he got with the "Fun n Gun" offense.

Thats why he was such a big disappointment - but nobody rates Spurrier in any way for the coaching job he did (or rather did not) do here.

Overrated: LaRon Landry/ Jason Campbell. Hard to separate the steroid King and Captain Checkdown from (most, mainly the younger end admittedly) of this fanbase' (not so glorious) recent crushes.

Theismann and Williams are great shouts there too for all that's been mentioned above. 

Honestly, I don't think Campbell's name should even be mentioned, even as being over-rated. He may have been touted as being somewhat good by the mediots, but he was nothing more than a bust. As much as LL flew around the field [ mostly missing his target ] i'm surprised we haven';t seen him in a squirrel suit in the Himilayas. 

Now, the Theismann thing is a little different; he could be somewhat under-rated, but he put in the work, had the team together during the strike year of 82 keeping everyone fresh and on the same page, and led the redskins to another SB the following year, while setting an NFL record for points scored in a season, so he had to have been doing something right. Yea, he's a camera whore, but who wouldn't be if they were in his shoes...

Archived