Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most overrated/underrated Redskins of all time

Hitman21ST

Since everyone on Earth considers Lavar Arrington overrated, I think we can safely say that he's now rated correctly.

You might even say the pendulum has swung too far the other way at this point. 

I will say this for Lavar: He had a nose for the football and hit like a truck.

Underrated:

Joe Jacoby - should be in the HOF

Ken Harvey - doesn't get the accolades he deserves because he played on bad teams

Chris Samuels - See: Harvey, Ken

Dave Butz - One of my favortie Redskins of all time. Gets overshadowed by Mann/Manley. Dominant D-Tackle.

Vinny Carrato - Without his gargantuan ineptitude we wouldn't have Shanallen and RGIII.

Overrated:

Mark Rypien - remove 1990/1991 season and you'll see what I mean

Laron Landry - self explanatory

Shawn Springs - still can't believe he made a pro-bowl

Clinton Portis - too much press/hype. Never truly dominant

Gibbs II - Lots of fanfare, 1 playoff win.

Underrated:

Vinny Carrato - Without his gargantuan ineptitude we wouldn't have Shanallen and RGIII.

Overrated:

This might be a late bump, but I just have to get this off my chest. In no way was Vinny "Underrated". His gargantuan ineptitude almost cost us two key players, and only for the sympathy/even bigger ineptitude on the Bengals part do we even have Trent Williams and Brian Orakpo. Remember the trade for Chad Johnson that almost happened? Vinny offered two firsts, that turned out to be 71 and 98, for a receiver who would have been out of the league less than 4 years later. When your best move was having a trade you offered not be accepted, that nullifies any "underrated" reasoning.

As for Portis, what do you mean he was never truly dominant? He has the second most yards in team history, and before last year, had the best year rushing in Redskins history. He was the catalyst that led us to the playoffs those two years. Portis is anything but overrated.

And Gibbs II - come on man. For Gibbs to be able to even take those teams to the playoffs, that was absolutely a miracle. No way he's overrated.

As for Portis, what do you mean he was never truly dominant? He has the second most yards in team history, and before last year, had the best year rushing in Redskins history. He was the catalyst that led us to the playoffs those two years. Portis is anything but overrated.

He wasn't a catalyst. He was the whole offense, :P

Underrated:

Overrated:

This might be a late bump, but I just have to get this off my chest. In no way was Vinny "Underrated". His gargantuan ineptitude almost cost us two key players, and only for the sympathy/even bigger ineptitude on the Bengals part do we even have Trent Williams and Brian Orakpo. Remember the trade for Chad Johnson that almost happened? Vinny offered two firsts, that turned out to be 71 and 98, for a receiver who would have been out of the league less than 4 years later. When your best move was having a trade you offered not be accepted, that nullifies any "underrated" reasoning.

And Gibbs II - come on man. For Gibbs to be able to even take those teams to the playoffs, that was absolutely a miracle. No way he's overrated.

I guess I didn't articulate we'll enough why I listed Vinny. It was merely an "ends justify the means" rationale. You can go with the woulda, coulda, shoulda stuff all you want. Simple fact is that....... No Vinny, No Shanallen/RGIII. Thats all I'm sayin. nothing more. Does that mean I look fondly on the Cerrato era? HE'LL NO!

Portis may have been our whole offense but, come on! He was WAY overrated! Put away your Sheriff Gonna Getcha costume!

......and if you don't think GibbsII was overrated when analyzed in the context of all the press, fanfare and expectations, then I can't help you.

Well, the "official" list is out. I'll include a short snippet of the reasoning.

Getcha popcorn ready and start the arguments:

Underrated:

London Fletcher

The guy simply is indestructible. He defines consistent productivity and durability, and he's the quintessential professional. Fletcher's finally gotten a few Pro Bowl nods in recent years, but he still doesn't get the respect or praise he's earned. 

Alfred Morris

It's much too premature to write the story of Alfred Morris' NFL career. Still, doesn't it feel like he'll go his whole career without getting the national attention he deserves? 

Art Monk

It's sad that some remember Monk more by the lack of appreciation he got than by the incredible, consistent production he put up in the NFL. Depending which theory you subscribe to, it's a shame he got overlooked because of politics, media members playing favorites, his quiet off-field demeanor or not always dominating a game due to the other offensive talent around him. 

Ladell Betts

Then, I wised up and recalled that Betts, who spent eight long years with the Redskins, totally flew under the radar. He had a career season in 2006, when he started nine games in place of Clinton Portis, totaling 1,154 rushing yards and catching 53 passes for 445 more yards that season. His versatility as a lead runner and a receiving threat out of the backfield earns Betts a place on this list. 

Darrell Green

Green bridged the gap between the Redskins' Super Bowl-winning teams that called RFK Stadium home and the much less successful squads at FedEx Field. Not only was Green the NFL's fastest man, his career was the model of consistency. "Mr. Redskin" had 1,159 career tackles, 54 interceptions (most in team history) and eight touchdowns from his cornerback spot, and he could dazzle as a punt returner, too. 

Overrated:

Albert Haynesworth

Albert Haynesworth's skills were overrated before he joined the Washington Redskins, which led to him getting a seven-year, $100 million contract. Many people were giddy when that news broke; me, not so much. He also had these things going for him: a lack of participation in offseason workouts, showing up to camp out of shape and multiple run-ins with the law. 

DeAngelo Hall

It's nobody's fault but his own that DeAngelo Hall makes this list. By virtue of his swagger, trash talk and me-first mentality, he's failed to reach the high bar he's set for himself. 

Adam Archuleta

Remember "Arch Deluxe?" Yeah, Redskins fans wish we could discontinue him from our memory the way McDonald's discontinued that menu item. Archuleta was the highest-paid safety in NFL history at the time. Toward the end of the 2006 season, the guy couldn't get the splinters out of his rear end as he was relegated only to special-teams duty. 

Heath Shuler

As the third overall pick in 1994, you can't really blame the guy for holding out of training camp until he got his big deal, but you can blame him for starting just 18 games before losing his job to a seventh-round draft pick named Gustave Joseph Frerotte. 

Joe Theismann

A cursory glance at Theismann's career numbers reveals some mediocre statistics: a 56.7 career completion percentage, 160 passing touchdowns to 138 interceptions and a 77.4 career quarterback rating. In six of his 12 NFL seasons, Theismann had more interceptions than passing touchdowns. For quarterbacking the Redskins to victory in Super Bowl XVII, Theismann always will be revered, but he left you wanting more. 

I think on the 'official list' reads like a bleacher report article .

DeAngelo Hall is an over rated Redskin because of his reputation he got when he was playing for Altlanta at the begining of his career  ? I will give you he has that swager and he is all ego - but just watch the way he has conducted himself this off season - making press comments to say he was to blame for the cap penalty - his contract was a problem but that was a problem not of his making . I may be alone but his actions have really shown humility, far more than the supposed 'meangelo' years

He is a gambler - but and he has his bad days but then he also has the spectacular games, where he shuts down the big name reciever (byant for instance) - i think that is a little harsh ..

As for the under rated list . Art Monk and Darrell Green -  under rated ? I love them - but both are HoF inducties, Green was first ballot, and they both deserve it - but I am not sure you can call a player under rated when they get elected to the HoF .

And Laddell Betts - Okay when he came out - in the second round - he was supposed to be the faster, smarter, more athletic Stephen Davis  - yet he was never the feature starter, he had 1 year he was above 1000 yards at the RB position he had some good games but he never lived up to his potential and was either injured or ineffective for most of his time here ...

Overrated - the obvious choice is Lavar Arrington. I nearly abandoned this board completely during Gibbs tenure because of all the whiney 15 year olds starting threads about "how can Gibbs do this to the greatest Skins LB ever...." The guy had a solid 2nd half of a season in '01, and good sack numbers in '02, and that was it. Yes, he ended Aikman's career, but he lost more games than he won on blown assignments.

They're talking about this on 106.7 right now. I called in and said Lavar is easily the most overrated Redskins. In recent times anyway. I said he only had one double-digit sack season and that there is a reason Gibbs benched his ass. The host proceeded to tell me it was because Lavar was injured, they're not going to knock a guy for having his career derailed by injuries, that I came weak and then proceeded to hang up on me. **** I hate that station.

They're talking about this on 106.7 right now. I called in and said Lavar is easily the most overrated Redskins. In recent times anyway. I said he only had one double-digit sack season and that there is a reason Gibbs benched his ass. The host proceeded to tell me it was because Lavar was injured, they're not going to knock a guy for having his career derailed by injuries, that I came weak and then proceeded to hang up on me. **** I hate that station.

That was you? lol They straight carried you man lol

I was like, I can't even believe this dude even called knowing they were going to hang up on him lol..

I am not going to say Lavar is Overrated or Underrated. I think he gets enough heat from both sides, therefore he is properly rated. :)

The author on NFL.com lost all credibility when he said he considered calling Michael Westbrook underrated. 

I don't know how you can have an overrated list without Arrington. And Haynesworth, Archuletta and Shuler are busts, not overrated players. 

I was like, I can't even believe this dude even called knowing they were going to hang up on him lol..

I am not going to say Lavar is Overrated or Underrated. I think he gets enough heat from both sides, therefore he is properly rated. :)

Lol I sure as hell didn't tell the phone screener I was going to say Lavar. Just told them my underrateds were Stephen Davis and Terry Allen. No way they would've put me on if I said Lavar.

What kills me about the station, and particularly that host, isn't that their opinions are wrong. It's that their facts are wrong. I'm comfortable knowing most people listening knew I was right. Diid you hear a couple callers before me when the guy mentioned Lavar and the host says he was a "beast in the middle" for us "like Ray Lewis." **** is embarrassing.

And yeah, Lavar is most definitely overrated.

Curious, what did you think of my opinion that players like Haynesworth, Deion, Archuletta, Shuler and Co can't be overrated Skins because they were never positively rated in their times here?

Lol I sure as hell didn't tell the phone screener I was going to say Lavar. Just told them my underrateds were Stephen Davis and Terry Allen. No way they would've put me on if I said Lavar.

What kills me about the station, and particularly that host, isn't that their opinions are wrong. It's that their facts are wrong. I'm comfortable knowing most people listening knew I was right. Diid you hear a couple callers before me when the guy mentioned Lavar and the host says he was a "beast in the middle" for us "like Ray Lewis." **** is embarrassing.

Heck yeah I heard that. That whole segment at work had me laughing. As soon as they put it on their site I am posting it on here lol

Heck yeah I heard that. That whole segment at work had me laughing. As soon as they put it on their site I am posting it on here lol
Please do. And kindly shoot me a PM with the link when you find it, so I can pass it around.

I used to call into the station quite a bit. Especially when Danny Rouhier was doing Overtime in the evenings. I remember one time I had tweeted him something while he was on the air and then had me call in and did two full segments with me. Can't recall what the topic was, probably something Wizards related since me and him seemed to be the only two people in the world willing to acknowledge their existence and talk about them in public.

But yeah, i can't stand to listen to the station now. It is so ****ing dreadful. Outside of Nats and Wiz games, the only time I listen for more than 5 mins is when another station goes to commercial, I flip over and then zone out. Like today (before the stupidity of the segment (starting with the article--Ladell Betts? Really?) caught my attention.)

I will restrict my list to players I have seen play:

Over: Doug Williams-One fantastic game and in the Super Bowl but other than that....meh

LaVar Arrington-Nuff' said by others in this post.

Dexter Manley- Some good years but we all know what happened.

Laron Landry- Muscles do not make you a better player, technique and skill does.

Joey T.- Overall average QB but was on some great teams with great talent. By himself average QB.

Still love Williams, Manley, and Joey T. though.

Under: Stephen Davis-He was a beast. Third all time leading rusher for the Redskins. ( If I am wrong on my numbers someone please correct me.)

Terry Allen- Solid offensive back on some inconsistent to outright bad teams.
             Henry Ellard- Solid receiver on bad teams. Was a first down machine. Definition of possession receiver during his time with the Skins.

Charles Mann-Gets overshadowed by Manley but had a better overall career and was a beast and real professional.

Jon Jansen-Before he got injured he and Samuels were decent combo of bookend tackles.

Underrated:

Overrated:

I agree on Portis.  I only wish this was his prime now, look at how he played for shanny back when he was a rookie and sophomore.

Stephen Davis had a monster year in 1999 there is no question about it - but overall what I remember of him was the inopportune fumbles at the wrong times ... I mean in 2001 he had more fumbles than TDs

What really bites me about him is he signed his massive contract and then started pouting as the system changed (and he kind of had a point because it went to the Spurrier fun and gun)  and esentially cried his way out of town at the end of 2002 , went to the Panthers had another good year that drove them to the superbowl and had him in MVP consideration . But then played less than 13 games after 2003 for them and rushed for less than 700 yards over 2 years and was let go ...

but then he signs a 1 day contract to sign and retire with the Panthers .. okay he went to the superbowl with them but only had one good season ... so he obviously does not consider himself a redskin, so I cannot see how he can be considered over or under rated by skins fans ...

Underated - Gary Clark (still can't figure out why he gets no love in HOF talk. His stats are way better than Lynn Swann's stats and he was smaller!),  Santana Moss, Fletcher, and my boy Alvin Walton! (He was a poor man's Steve A****er back in the day and had a cool mohawk!)

Overrated - The obvious bust Haynesworth and Landry. I hate to say it, but maybe Orakpo too. I think Orakpo sitll has a ton of potential if he can stay healthy.

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

Lavar, it's been said to death, but it's all true.

D. Williams, had a great few games, and really that's it. Deserves his place in history, but folks forget how otherwise mediocre he was.

Underrated:

K. Harvey, how people can forget about this guy amazes me.

L. Centers, since i am already talkng about former cardinals who came here to shine. . .

J. Lachey, people think hog they always mention Jacoby (not wrong) but where's the love for the LT?

I was thinking the same thing pertaining to Taylor. He was a good and beloved player but his untimely death played a part in his legendary status.

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

D. Williams, had a great few games, and really that's it. Deserves his place in history, but folks forget how otherwise mediocre he was.

Underrated:

L. Centers, since i am already talkng about former cardinals who came here to shine. . .

J. Lachey, people think hog they always mention Jacoby (not wrong) but where's the love for the LT?

I was thinking the same thing pertaining to Taylor. He was a good and beloved player but his untimely death played a part in his legendary status.

To those who weren't paying attention, yes.

I was calling him a god in cleats since late in the 2004 season.  I got to enjoy that incredible player, and I'm sorry that others missed out, especially on this site.

overrated:

Underrated:

To those who weren't paying attention, yes.

I was calling him a god in cleats since late in the 2004 season.  I got to enjoy that incredible player, and I'm sorry that others missed out, especially on this site.

Just to pile on, I'm pretty sure a lot of other players and coaches acknowledged Taylor as one of the (if not the single most) premier safeties in the league. The Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys sure did. 

Taylor was to safeties what Griffin is to QBs. A paradigm shift. A safety who could man up on anyone, and still cover the full field as a single high.

I still remember that Taylor had the interception of Favre that broke the career INT records.

My best memory of him (yeah, even more than the Pro Bowl hit, swatting the ball away from Moss, and the Monday Night Miracle hit) was the preseason game his rookie year against the Panthers. They had the ball inside their 10 yard line, and the Tight End ran a quick out (or something like that). Taylor reads it and shoots forward, jumps in front of the TE, and takes it in for a TD. I knew he would be special from that moment.

Most underrated is Charlie Taylor. I know he is in the half of fame but people here do not appreciated what he brought to the game. Besides his pass catching ability and his running ability he was probably the best blocking WR of his era and maybe ever. Chuck Howley the Cowboys LB said before the snap he would look to see where Taylor was lined up best he was not aware of him he would lay a debilitating block on him

I had the privilege of watching Mitchell.Taylor and Smith play and IMHO they were the best combo we ever had. Remember back then they played tackle football and the defensive player could hit you until the ball was in the air. Some players today would have never made it off the line back then

I also think he was a superb WR coach Art Monk gives him the credit for making he the WR he was in the NFL. He did coach the posse.I really hated it when Norv let him go as WR coach

Archived