Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most overrated/underrated Redskins of all time

Hitman21ST

Over: Rock

Under: Olkewicz 

I think a lot of the overs were not used to their strengths. 

Lavar for instance, was not even allowed to try to block FGs or extra points. Really? We had him ready for the fake that never happened. 

Long before you hated Haynesworth many a high ticket FA DT  came in here and were asked to read, do things not to their strengths.. They sucked it up, and got run over, and "sucked". And were thus horrible investments. Perhaps when players push back its in some roundabout way for the best. Most of our DCs in the past 2 decades were horrible. 

Sure its a team game but its a bit short sighted to blindly ignore what is asked of players. Are we going to bench Rak if he sucks in pass coverage? Square Peg Round hole keep pounding away. If it fits, you changed the player you were once enamored with. Is it always for the best? 

There was a time when people actually used to read other posts before jumping to conclusions.

More and more now it seems people just skim a post as decide to disgaree with something in it. But when they reply they either don't use to quote feature to avoid being burden by actually responding to what the poster actually wrote or they quote but the reply doesn't address the thoughts being expressed in the quote. Rather they respond to what they want to regardless of what the poster wrote., even if what they disagree with isn't even what the post actually said.

I thought Haynesworth could have been the best lineman in the league when he came here. He was certainly a respected, dirty, but respected tackle.  ;)

The thing about it is, considering the way we paid him, if he was anything less than the best lineman in the league, then he was overrated, and he was much less than that.  That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for posting that video DC, one more I'll add to the underrated list: Marcus Washington. I loved watching him play and his energy was contagious. He was another guy that always brought it and more often than not turned in a big play at an important time, and his talent was wasted on teams that could have and should have been much better.

Marcus Washington was my man. Loved when he hit that Ric Flair dance after a big play. I was so blown when he never recovered from his injuries...

Marcus Washington was an absolute blast to watch, whether it be making plays or doing whatever came into that noggin of his once the play was over. He, along with that entire defense, was wasted. That was a championship defense.

Yeah it was. The defense with the current offense and the Skins would be hosting that trophy setting up dates for the parade in downtown DC

We paid Haynesworth $100 million dollars, anything less than a JJ WATT like year would be highway ROBBERY, and that's exactly what we got from Haynesworth, highway robbery. 

I think one could argue Haynesworth might be one of if not the most Overrated player of all time!

You guys are changing the criteria to determine whether or not a player is/was under/over rated.  The OP and majority of the posts, have offered opinions of players that were overrated/underrated in comparison with the fan/media perception, independent of salary.

Using salary, instead of fan/media perception brings about a very different list.

RG3 would have to be the all time most underrated player.

While Sanchez, who since his first year  or two has been viewed in a very poor light, would be overrated despite the fact that people consider him bad.

AH was underrated in comparison with fan/media perception, but overrated it comparison with his contract.

My list for this year:

Underrated: Merriweather, and Morgan

Overrated: Rambo, and Thompson

I will undoubtedly get flamed for this, as I was last year when I had Helu/Hankerson on my overrated list.

You guys are changing the criteria to determine whether or not a player is/was under/over rated.  The OP and majority of the posts, have offered opinions of players that were overrated/underrated in comparison with the fan/media perception, independent of salary.

Using salary, instead of fan/media perception brings about a very different list.

While Sanchez, who since his first year  or two has been viewed in a very poor light, would be overrated despite the fact that people consider him bad.

AH was underrated in comparison with fan/media perception, but overrated it comparison with his contract.

My list for this year:

I will undoubtedly get flamed for this, as I was last year when I had Helu/Hankerson on my overrated list.

At least Helu and Hankerson had played in the NFL before being put on your list lol...

Plus, this is most overrated of all time, not just of 2013.

I'm one of the people that you would say over rates Rambo and I completely get where you're comin from with including him on the over rated list. He's a 6th round draft pick with a checkered history yet people are viewing him as capable of winning a starting spot on defense.

But, there are factors that lead me to my opinions on Rambo. He has scheme and specifically position familiarity Single Deep FS. And we currently don't have an incumbent player on the roster at that position.

Which makes the path to him starting sooner rather then later wide open.

But, time will tell, as with Thompson.

I'm with you on Morgan being underrated.

I would put Meriweather on the over rated last though.

My list for this year:

At least Helu and Hankerson had played in the NFL before being put on your list lol...

I would argue, that the fact that Thompson/Rambo haven't even played a snap, and fans still view them in such high regard, supports my opinion that they are overrated.

I understand this is a all time list, but myself and others have made lists for this season, and made it clear that that's what the list is.  It's the offseason and it's for fun...

I'm one of the people that you would say over rates Rambo and I completely get where you're comin from with including him on the over rated list. He's a 6th round draft pick with a checkered history yet people are viewing him as capable of winning a starting spot on defense.

But, there are factors that lead me to my opinions on Rambo. He has scheme and specifically position familiarity Single Deep FS. And we currently don't have an incumbent player on the roster at that position.

Which makes the path to him starting sooner rather then later wide open.

But, time will tell, as with Thompson.

I'm with you on Morgan being underrated.

I would put Meriweather on the over rated last though.

You make valid points concerning Rambo DG, I just think this board had gotten a little carried away with him.  It's the people that were projecting him in the 2nd/3rd round, that believe we got this sure thing diamond in the rough, that I believe overrate him.  While he could no doubt be sustained started at one point, he could just as easily be a career backup.  Here's to hoping for the former though!

Re: BM

Thinking about it, he was probably a poor choice for this, not because I don't feel he's underrated by some, but because the perception of who he currently is varies so much among fans.

If you view him as 2-time pro-bowler, who was a stud in the NE defense, and that is what you expect, he's probably overrated.

If you view him as the guy who's been cut by his past two teams, and you expect not much more of him than that, I believe he's underrated.

Thanks for posting that video DC, one more I'll add to the underrated list: Marcus Washington. I loved watching him play and his energy was contagious. He was another guy that always brought it and more often than not turned in a big play at an important time, and his talent was wasted on teams that could have and should have been much better.

Marcus Washington was my man. Loved when he hit that Ric Flair dance after a big play. I was so blown when he never recovered from his injuries...

Marcus Washington was an absolute blast to watch, whether it be making plays or doing whatever came into that noggin of his once the play was over. He, along with that entire defense, was wasted. That was a championship defense.

Yeah it was. The defense with the current offense and the Skins would be hosting that trophy setting up dates for the parade in downtown DC

Hell, that 2007 defense with just an average offense would have been in the Super Bowl. Not sure how we would have done against the Pats though, that was the 52-7 game, but even an average offense would have gotten us there. That 2007 playoff offense was one of the most inept in NFL history.

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

Sean Taylor overrated? WOW, he was a top 3 safety in the league by the time he hit year 3 in his career, it takes time to develop. look at Calvin Johnson, he just now took over the top WR spot in year 5 of his career, but before that people would ask "When is he going to put it together? He's too talented to have these solid but not elite seasons" . Sean Taylor entered the league as a DEVASTATING hitter with ok coverage ability by year 3 he started to cover very well and could still knock you out. He garners his first pro bowl selection by year 3 and the entire league fears him, heck you had running backs falling to the ground before Sean could get a hit on them. By year 4, Sean Taylor was leading the entire NFL in interceptions, let me repeat by year 4 of his career he was leading the entire league in interceptions before his life was taken.

So if fans big up Sean Taylor it's because it was warranted, polamalu and Reed played on winning teams, Sean Taylor didn't I could only imagine if Sean Taylor played for the steelers or ravens he would be illegal. 

Just watch that 30 minute video of all sean taylors plays, no possible way you could call THAT overrated. The guy was just about to hit his prime before his life was taken and still he was feared by ANYBODY who had to line up in front of him. Go look up how scared the "Hall of Famer" T.O was of sean taylor lmao. 

To add to your point...here is where Sean Taylor ranked among safeties between 2004-2007:

Passes Defensed: 3rd

Interceptions: 5th

Number of games played: 33rd

More or less this.  ST was clearly on his way to greatness and was, without a doubt, the best player on our team when he played.  Find another safety with as many highlights in their first 3 and a half years, it is absolutely unreal the plays he made at a position that is probably the most difficult to make an impact in.

Over-rated: Colt Brennan!

Under-rated: Barry Cofield (If I have to see another person claim we need a REAL nose tackle over him.  That guy has been great for us)

My list for this year:

I would argue, that the fact that Thompson/Rambo haven't even played a snap, and fans still view them in such high regard, supports my opinion that they are overrated.

I understand this is a all time list, but myself and others have made lists for this season, and made it clear that that's what the list is.  It's the offseason and it's for fun...

You can't be "overrated" until you fail to live up to the hype/expectations/whatever.

I put Colt Brennan on my list because he DID fail to live up to pretty much anything lol...he proved the hype/expectations was abysmally false.

Rambo nor Thompson have yet to do that.

My list for this year:

You can't be "overrated" until you fail to live up to the hype/expectations/whatever.

I put Colt Brennan on my list because he DID fail to live up to pretty much anything lol...he proved the hype/expectations was abysmally false.

Rambo nor Thompson have yet to do that.

So if cowboy's fans tauted a late round draft pick as the next Roger Staubach, they wouldn't be overrating said player?  That's a silly stipulation to add to someone being "overrated", and I obviously don't include it in my ratings.

To be over rated in my opinion it requires:

A group of people perceiving someone/thing far greater than one does in their own opinion.

Thus in my opinion, people are overrating Thomspon/Rambo. 

So if cowboy's fans tauted a late round draft pick as the next Roger Staubach, they wouldn't be overrating said player?  That's a silly stipulation to add to someone being "overrated", and I obviously don't include it in my ratings.

Not if that player was Tom Brady lol...but we'd have to at least wait and let the guy play before determining he was overrated. Some fans here last year at this time said RG3 was among the most overrated players on the Skins roster. Yeah, that turned out to be real accurate lol...

Saying a restaurant is "overrated" a month before it even opens would be foolish...saying a movie is "overrated" while it's still in production would be just as foolish.

To be over rated in my opinion it requires:

A group of people perceiving someone/thing far greater than one does in their own opinion.

Thus in my opinion, people are overrating Thomspon/Rambo. 

Overrated should always be based in something factual to go along with the opinion. I think the word you may be wanting to use is "overhyped".

You're still adding stipulations, and arguing semantics at this point. In the best interest of this thread, I'm not going to reply to such arguments, if you'd like to explain why Rambo/Thompson are as good as some members believe, and better than I believe than I am all ears.

I'm gonna go with Ricky Sanders. He's like the forgotten guy from the Possie. Every argument seems to be centered around who is better between 84 and 81, while 83 was just forgotten about and left on the side. Given his numbers weren't on their level, he was the guy on the receiving end in the quarter that lives in SB history!

Oh and that's underrated.

Poman, on 23 Jun 2013 - 00:59, said:

I'm just going to put this out there because. If we are talking over/under rated by a fanbase.... Underrated...Sammy Baugh. I'm not sure a large part of our fanbase really understands who he was and what a player he was. I know time dims memories, but Slingin Sammy may to this day be one of the best football players to ever play. Hail.

I've got my own beefs with the Sammy Baugh era that I'll leave off this board so as to avoid derailing the discussion. But along the same lines, I'll say Sam Huff is underrated. I'm a youngster so I never saw him play, but I was listening to Andy Polly yesterday about how he changed the game when he was playing for the Giants and I was like WOW. Then just the stuff he did in his career. Dude impressed me.

overrated:

S. Taylor, sorry to ruffle feathers but people talk as though he was a lock hall of famer and the best they had ever seen. He wasn't even the best safety in the league. He might have gotten there, but he hadn't yet (RIP suckiest day of being a Redskins fan)

Lavar, it's been said to death, but it's all true.

D. Williams, had a great few games, and really that's it. Deserves his place in history, but folks forget how otherwise mediocre he was.

Underrated:

K. Harvey, how people can forget about this guy amazes me.

L. Centers, since i am already talkng about former cardinals who came here to shine. . .

J. Lachey, people think hog they always mention Jacoby (not wrong) but where's the love for the LT?

You are so right about Ken Harvey. He was the last great pass rusher for the Redskins. I wish Orakpo had what Harvey had. He would be a 20 sack a year linebacker.   

Gawd, how'd I miss Larry Centers and Ken Harvey...that's how underrated they were.  I agree with that list, but I want to kill rick1796 for putting Sean Taylor in the overrated list.

One person i'd like to add to the overrated list is, Cary Conklin.  This is just because I, personally, overrated him as the next great quarterback as a kid.  I'm probably the only one that thought of him in that way, lol.

Cary Conklin!! Might just be the worst QB I have ever seen play in a Redskins uniform - and when you think of some of the guys who have taken snaps in the last 20 years thats quite a low bar.

I saw him 'play' live and in person in a Monday night game against Miami in Miami back in '93. I had conned my then girlfriend into taking a winter vacation in Florida which just happened to coincide with the Redskins playing at Miami and we drove up for the game from Clearwater (so a good 4 hour drive).

Rypien was injured and Conkin got the start and was flat terrible. It got to the point that when he went down and took a sack in the 3rd quarter with no defender close to him that even the Dolphins fans booed him. He was pulled just after that and Rich Gannon (yes Rich Gannon was our 3rd string QB that year) came in and led us to a late TD but all to little to late .....

I'm gonna go with Ricky Sanders. He's like the forgotten guy from the Possie. Every argument seems to be centered around who is better between 84 and 81, while 83 was just forgotten about and left on the side. Given his numbers weren't on their level, he was the guy on the receiving end in the quarter that lives in SB history!

Oh and that's underrated.

mUUq6K6PUyfkcJsDKgUSWiQ.jpg

We used to go "yard sale-ing" with my grandma back when I was a little kid and I remember buying this one at a yard sale (just the figure, no cards).  I still have it somewhere in one of my boxes in my basement!  It was one of my favorite things as a kid.  Man, I'll have to dig this up for my son... lol

EDIT:  Nice pull, though.  I liked Rickey but of course 84 was my favorite.  I still don't think you can call a member of the Posse underrated, though... in terms of the group as a whole I can see what you mean.

You're still adding stipulations, and arguing semantics at this point. In the best interest of this thread, I'm not going to reply to such arguments, if you'd like to explain why Rambo/Thompson are as good as some members believe, and better than I believe than I am all ears.

Um, "stipulations" are a requirement lol. You yourself added "stipluations" in your definition of over/underrated. If we remove stipulations, then the thread would be full of posts like "Jason Campbell is overrated...no real reason, just a name I thought of right now."

And hardly semantics. Overhyped and Overrated mean two distinctively different things.

No need for me to explain anything...because as I already pointed out (and which everyone except you has grasped lol) Rambo and Thompson haven't done anything yet TO explain why they would be overrated or underrated.

Tell me a movie is overrated...then tell me you've never seen the movie. Try not to be embarrassed while I laugh in your general direction.

Your analogy with a movie is awful, it assumes I know nothing about these two prospects or prospects joining the NFL in general.

Again, I'm done with this, it's a decent thread, I'd prefer not to derail.  My last suggestion would be to look up semantics and overrate in the dictionary, because you seem to have little to no understanding of their meanings.

mUUq6K6PUyfkcJsDKgUSWiQ.jpg

We used to go "yard sale-ing" with my grandma back when I was a little kid and I remember buying this one at a yard sale (just the figure, no cards).  I still have it somewhere in one of my boxes in my basement!  It was one of my favorite things as a kid.  Man, I'll have to dig this up for my son... lol

EDIT:  Nice pull, though.  I liked Rickey but of course 84 was my favorite.  I still don't think you can call a member of the Posse underrated, though... in terms of the group as a whole I can see what you mean.

Dude, I still have a Chip Lohmiller Starting Lineup Action Figure with the card, in the case. My father-in-law found one at a yard sale and got it for me.

md3ReCunlJpR7j0IdoLgZzA.jpg

Archived