Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL.com: NFL's new bag policy to improve public safety at games

Popeman38

For my wife and I, there is really no impact.  I usually go to 1 or 2 home games a year, sometimes with her, sometimes with friends.  We don't bring much of anything into the stadium with us.  She leaves her purse in the car, and just brings in her I.D.  I understand the reasons for trying to make everyone safe, but I'm sure you will see plenty of clear plastic bags this year with the Redskins logo on them.  Saying it's only about security is a partial truth at best.  They don't want you bringing something into the stadiums that you should buy in the stadiums.

How is it a money ploy?

If you can't bring anything, even a fanny pack, you have to buy everything.

Oh I think its a money ploy....but against law suits if something happens, not beer.

I don't think any security measures they implement would stop the law suits if something were to happen.  (god forbid)  Somebody is going to get sued, from the guy who did the frisk right on up the line to Goddell himself.

Notice there's no mention of restricting the ability to bring food and water in to the stadiums. 

Bringing your own food and (non alcoholic) beverages was a luxury we lost at FedEx years ago, in the name of "safety and security".

I truly don't know of another sporting venue that doesn't allow fans to bring in a small bottle of water or a bag of peanuts. Some teams like the Eagles encourage fans to bring their own hoagies.

Oh the outrage. Clearly most of the posters in this thread stay at home watching the Redskins on TV. NONE of the bag rules announced by the NFL are new to FedEx Field. Those restrictions have been in place for over ten years. It started the year after the 9/11 attacks. So temper your outrage. In fact, the NFL rule on permissable bag size is larger than it is for FedEx Field.

Easy to complain about an inconvenience until somebody flies a plane into an office building or the Pentagon, or blows up bombs at the Boston  Marathon. Frankly, I am surprised a terror attack has not hit a sports arena or stadium. I'd rather be slightly inconvenienced and alive than the freedom to bring in my backpack and dead.

IF they did nothing, you'd be the first ones ****ing about letting someone in with a bottle of explosive liquid that kills a couple hundred people. We don't live in the 1930s any more Dorothy.

Notice there's no mention of restricting the ability to bring food and water in to the stadiums. 

Bringing your own food and (non alcoholic) beverages was a luxury we lost at FedEx years ago, in the name of "safety and security".

I truly don't know of another sporting venue that doesn't allow fans to bring in a small bottle of water or a bag of peanuts. Some teams like the Eagles encourage fans to bring their own hoagies.

Yea, I was going to say, at FedEx we haven't been able to bring anything like this for years so this policy shouldn't really effect or change many peoples approach outside of women with purses or guys who bring their kids.  But just the same, that's enough to feel betrayed.

I even tried to bring an empty bottle in to FedEx last year (because I did/chew tobacco) and I told the cat who was patting me down that I wanted to bring it in and use it as a spitter... he was like, "Nope, throw it away."

Sorry, RFK, but either you need to get out more or do some research. Here is a little quick research on prohibited food and beverages around the east coast in the NFL:

• Dallas Cowboys -- No food or drink period
  • Philadelphia Eagles -- Bottles, cans and beverage containers of any kind are prohibited; food is only permitted if wrapped in clear plastic
  • NY Giants and Jets -- Food contained in a clear plastic bag is permitted; Factory-sealed, plastic bottles of water or soft drinks that are 20 oz. or less in size are permitted (caps will be removed by Safety Services team members).
  • Baltimore Ravens -- No beverages permitted; no mention of food on prohibited list; but any bag meeting size restrictions must be clear.
  • Boston Patriots -- No food or beverages.
  • Carolina Panthers -- No food or beverages except two plastic bottles with clear water per person.
  • Pittsburgh Steelers -- Food items such as small sandwiches, chips, pretzels, etc. are permitted in as long as they are in clear Ziploc plastic bags. You may also bring water, juice, pop, etc. as long as it is in a plastic bottle, 24 oz. or less

and must have its original factory seal.

• Falcons -- All bottles, cans and food are prohibited.
  • TB Bucs -- All food, drinks, cans, bottles and glass are prohibited.
  • Bears -- Cans, bottles or other beverage containers are prohibited. No mention on food restrictions.
  • Lions -- Food, beverages or liquids (cans, bottles or boxes) are prohibited.
  • Vikings -- no beverage containers (cans or bottles) can be brought into the stadium. No mention about food.
  • Packers -- All food and beverages are prohibited.
  • Browns -- No Cans, bottles, bottled or boxed liquids. No mention of food on the prohibited or permissable list. However, absolutely no dog bones are allowed in the stadium! (true....not kidding)
  • Bengals -- No Bottles, cans or other beverage containers (except sealed bottles of water)

I think NFL teams should allow one clear plastic bottle of water per person. Most teams do not permit this but they should. But then explosive liquid can be clear....so it depends on how safe one wants to feel in a stadium/arena.

I think it would be better if they had a policy against douche bags... but hey.

That's exactly why... money.

I've never attempted to bring a bag into FedEx field but I've seen mom's arguing with usher's and security over diaper bags.  The whole thing is a sham.

They even take the bottle caps off of your water bottle now when you buy them, it doesn't stop me from re-filling them, but just the same these guys are finding new and exciting ways to get an extra five bucks out of you every game. 

And no, it's not a FedEx field problem, it's a league problem.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211996/article/nfls-new-bag-policy-to-improve-public-safety-at-games

Fans will have a few options for bringing smalls bags into stadiums. They only will be allowed to bring in small clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12", according to a press release from the league.

why can't we bring a bag that's 12" x 6" x 12" with a strap on it?  I'm sure I can find a bag that small with straps.  Maybe just to be an ass I'll jimmy some straps on a freezer bag :)

LOL douche bags, good one

It looks to be just added security, the revenue generation will just be a bonus. They're allowing enough alternatives so you don't have to buy diapers or tampons

It says you can bring a one gallon ziplock bag. If your baby needs more diapers for a 4 hour game than can fit in a one gallon ziplock bag, or you need more tampons than can fit in a one gallon ziplock bag, then I guess you're SOL. 

I don't see what the big deal is. As a man with no children, I have no reason to bring anything in other than that I can fit in my pockets. My wife usually just has me hold her ID. I've never had any problems with what was allowed to bring in to the stadium.

I don't understand why any man would need any sort of bag at all. Please somebody enlighten me.

Bringing food into a stadium? Really? Bring your own food to the movies? I don't get it.

Because this rule will not change my own habits one bit, it doesn't bother me. I don't see any reason that the rule is unreasonable either. A terrorist (or Redskins name opponent) attack on a crowded football stadium would garner huge headlines and probably be the most devastating attack on our soil since 9/11. I wouldn't take efforts to stop an attack too lightly. Whether these measures would stop an attack is up for debate, admittedly.

At the old RFK Stadium when my parents had season tickets, we used to pack lunches for four (tons of sandwiches), thermos of coffee, thermos of hot chocolate, other snacks and so on.  Never had any trouble.  My mom used to bring a small battery powered TV to watch the games for instant replays, and a radio to listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank.  She would be sorely disappointed in these times.

I don't really see the big deal either. Yes, it's probably BS but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I can't speak for people who bring small children (and with the party/drinking environment I would never do that), but from a female perspective, I bring my (older) daughter and her friends all the time and none of them ever want the hassle of carrying around a purse anyway. They come in with nothing, as do I and my friends. With anything you bring in, you just run the risk of a drunk spilling something on it and ruining it anyway. I think anything that's a necessity can be brought in a bag the size they specify. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most are simply things you can do without for a few hours. I think sometimes people analyze things too much. It's only a few hours and unless you're just trying to avoid spending money there (which I understand) or need something for small children then you can probably do without most things for that short of a time frame. Tailgate, eat and drink before you go in and you're set. Enjoy the game and don't worry about BS like this that you can't control! :-) Get used to it because it will get worse long before it gets better.

At the old RFK Stadium when my parents had season tickets, we used to pack lunches for four (tons of sandwiches), thermos of coffee, thermos of hot chocolate, other snacks and so on. Never had any trouble. My mom used to bring a small battery powered TV to watch the games for instant replays, and a radio to listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank. She would be sorely disappointed in these times.

It was a different world.

I don't want to get too political but since 2001 we have been giving up more and more of our "rights". This isn't anything new. I have my own opinions on the subject and you can go over to the tailgate to discuss this further if you'd like.

As it stands, I don't think that it's unreasonable to ask patrons of an event to bring only that which they can carry on your pockets. I have had no problem with that since I've attended games... before any rules were in place.

I've grown up in a world where you are expected to buy concessions at a sporting event if you want to. I expect to pay a premium if I'm at a game, a movie, a bar, a restaurant. I've learned to accept this. I feel that bringing your own food and drink into an "event" is rude and looked down upon.

I'm sorry that your mom would feel bad about this. Times have changed though. In more ways than what you can/can't bring to a game. This is the evolution of a nation and its people.

Years ago, Turner Field started letting in small coolers. Awesome!

Sorry, RFK, but either you need to get out more or do some research. Here is a little quick research on prohibited food and beverages around the east coast in the NFL:

• Philadelphia Eagles -- Bottles, cans and beverage containers of any kind are prohibited; food is only permitted if wrapped in clear plastic
  • Browns -- No Cans, bottles, bottled or boxed liquids. No mention of food on the prohibited or permissable list. However, absolutely no dog bones are allowed in the stadium! (true....not kidding)

I think NFL teams should allow one clear plastic bottle of water per person. Most teams do not permit this but they should. But then explosive liquid can be clear....so it depends on how safe one wants to feel in a stadium/arena.

Lol about the Browns and the 'no dog bones' rule. I was just in Cleveland and Philly last Dec, but didn't remember the no water policies. oh well   :wacko:

I usually try to bring a small bottle of water into most sporting events. If water is prohibited and security finds my bottle in the pat down, it's only $2 lost vs. the $5-7 I'll spend on a new bottle inside. I usually succeed.

At the old RFK Stadium when my parents had season tickets, we used to pack lunches for four (tons of sandwiches), thermos of coffee, thermos of hot chocolate, other snacks and so on.  Never had any trouble.  My mom used to bring a small battery powered TV to watch the games for instant replays, and a radio to listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank.  She would be sorely disappointed in these times.

Your mom was obviously awesome...hope she's yelling at the Commish.

Hail!

Lol about the Browns and the 'no dog bones' rule. I was just in Cleveland and Philly last Dec, but didn't remember the no water policies. oh well   :wacko:

I usually try to bring a small bottle of water into most sporting events. If water is prohibited and security finds my bottle in the pat down, it's only $2 lost vs. the $5-7 I'll spend on a new bottle inside. I usually succeed.

I agree. I started sneaking in one bottle per game last year and never got caught. Cargo pants/shorts are great. Since they started wanding, they do fewer frisks. So I pay what, 50 cents per bottle, I lose very little if they catch me. At $5 per bottle in the stadium, it's worth the risk of being caught. A clear bottle of water should be permitted at all venues, particlarly outdoor ones in the summer or late summer time.

P.S. You buy very expensive water, RFK! :-) ...OK...I guess the liter or 1/2 liter bottles go for around that amount....never mind....

Oh the outrage. Clearly most of the posters in this thread stay at home watching the Redskins on TV. NONE of the bag rules announced by the NFL are new to FedEx Field. Those restrictions have been in place for over ten years. It started the year after the 9/11 attacks. So temper your outrage. In fact, the NFL rule on permissable bag size is larger than it is for FedEx Field.

Easy to complain about an inconvenience until somebody flies a plane into an office building or the Pentagon, or blows up bombs at the Boston  Marathon. Frankly, I am surprised a terror attack has not hit a sports arena or stadium. I'd rather be slightly inconvenienced and alive than the freedom to bring in my backpack and dead.

IF they did nothing, you'd be the first ones ****ing about letting someone in with a bottle of explosive liquid that kills a couple hundred people. We don't live in the 1930s any more Dorothy.

You are talking out of somewhere that you shouldn't be. I have been to every game since the beginning of the 2002 season, including the last 2 seasons with a child. You could, without a doubt, carry in a diaper bag that was beyond the dimensions allowed in the new policy. In it, we would pack diapers, wipes, desitin, bag of cheerios, fruit squeezers, a gogurt, extra clothes, a poncho, a sippy cup fill of cold water, a bag of medicines (childrens tylenol, childrens motrin, childrens benadryl, childrens robitussin). I never had an issue getting ANY  of this past security. They would check, and as long as my daughter was with me, we breezed through. See, this is where our common sense has left us. If I am a dude trying to get in with a bag, turn it away. If I am a man with a woman and a child trying to get in with a bag, search it.  Don't create a blanket policy that you know will result in a revenue stream under the guise of public safety.

Those poor people that got their limbs blown off in Boston would like you to know that they approve of this.

I had this very conversation with several people Saturday and we all agreed that anytime their is a security measure taken in this country people in this country piss and moan yet if they were victims of Boston or the next of kin from 9/11 they wouldn't be so quick to **** about it.

Get over it. You would cry wolf if you were the aforementioned Boston victims or 9/11 survivors.

Those poor people that got their limbs blown off in Boston would like you to know that they approve of this.

I had this very conversation with several people Saturday and we all agreed that anytime their is a security measure taken in this country people in this country piss and moan yet if they were victims of Boston or the next of kin from 9/11 they wouldn't be so quick to **** about it.

Get over it. You would cry wolf if you were the aforementioned Boston victims or 9/11 survivors.

Are you ****ing kidding me? We are talking about a diaper bag here, not a ****ing Jansport backpack. 12x6x12 sounds like a big bag, until you try to pack enough for a 2 year old for 5 hours in it.. Get over yourself and your self righteous indignation. God forbid we ask someone to *gasp* search a diaper bag. I'm pretty sure searching a bag would have identified a pressure cooker bomb. But by all means, continue to campare a ticketed event with defined entrances to a ****ing city or flying planes into buildings.

Methinks it's a bit...ugh, how do I put this..."naive"? I think it's a bit naive to assume this is all about what happened in Boston. After all, attacks like the ones that happened in Boston have happened in other parts of the world and the response was never to restrict the size of bags you could bring in. One could make the argument "that was there and this happened here", but again, it's not like these bags weren't getting check before, and people in this thread are talking about the kind of stuff you can sneak in wearing cargo pants.

And to put a damper on things a smidge, anyone who really wanted to do this kind of thing would do it regardless of added security measures or not.

More likely the NFL saw this as an opportunity to force more people to spend more money inside the stadiums. Nothing the NFL has done has earned them the benefit of the doubt in cases like these. Ticket and concession prices keep getting higher and higher while the NFL makes more and more money, while they simultaneously punish fans by blacking out games because they won't go to absurdly expensive games to watch what will likely be mediocre football.

Assuming the NFL does anything that's not to it's own benefit is a touch naive. Money is their bottom line, period.

Well at least we can rest assured knowing that if a terrorist flies a hijacked airplane into Fed Ex Field no large bags will have been harmed. 

NLC's post above is probably true.  This seems much like Snyder not allowing fans to park for free at Landover Mall by prohibiting foot traffic into the stadium via a public road under the guise of safety.

If you can buy it in the Redskins' store, they'll let you bring it in. For instance, if I have a seat cushion (I use a pillow) there's no chance they won't let you bring it back to a 2nd game.  I'd be pretty shocked if they could turn away anything that has the officially licensed NFL tag on it.

If it was my stadium, I'd make them turn away anyone wearing visiting team gear. Or... they could throw it out and buy new gear inside :)

Are you ****ing kidding me? We are talking about a diaper bag here, not a ****ing Jansport backpack. 12x6x12 sounds like a big bag, until you try to pack enough for a 2 year old for 5 hours in it.. Get over yourself and your self righteous indignation. God forbid we ask someone to *gasp* search a diaper bag. I'm pretty sure searching a bag would have identified a pressure cooker bomb. But by all means, continue to campare a ticketed event with defined entrances to a ****ing city or flying planes into buildings.

Guys, really, a diaper bag is probably okay. You'd say it was medically imperative. You'd go through the handicapped gate, and you'd be fine. But get yourself a smaller diaper bag. a handful of diapers, a bag of travel wipes, and a tube of desitin doesn't take up that much space. It's easier to carry on your way to see Chief Zee for a photo opp. He's a great guy about it and nothing beats showing your family a picture of your baby and Chief Zee.

Well at least we can rest assured knowing that if a terrorist flies a hijacked airplane into Fed Ex Field no large bags will have been harmed. 

I LOL'd at this :)

I go about 2-3 times a year.  Never carry a bag.  Wear cargo shorts in hot weather, coat with multiple pockets in winter.  This policy doesn't bother me to much with exception to a few things:

1) I hate that everything needs to be clear.  What purpose does that serve?  If you get your slow ass to the gates in a reasonable time, it wouldn't take them long to search inside a regular bag.  Like some women have mentioned, do we need to see their "personal" woman items?

2) Not understanding the seat cushion thing at all.  If that's the case, I want cushioned seats installed Dan.  Get on it now.

3) I don't like that they take the tops off the water bottles.  I mean, if you put it by your feet, since there are no cup holders and someone kicks it, you're out $5 and thirsty.  I've been bringing my own tops in. screw them.

For women who have periods, I guess they can't go to the games either.  I don't know of any women who would carry a clear bag with their necessary products in it for all to see.

Time for the NFL to get a grip.  They are getting just like the FAA with the rules that force people to buy products after they go through security.  Frankly I think all this "security" stuff is just a way to train the US populace into complying with policies that will turn the US of A into a police state.  We're pretty close to being a police state now.

No worries. Official NFL team tampons w/ logo will be on sale for the low, low price of $7.50 each. 

Archived