Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL.com: NFL's new bag policy to improve public safety at games

Popeman38

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211996/article/nfls-new-bag-policy-to-improve-public-safety-at-games

NFL fans arriving at stadiums for games in the 2013 season should leave their large bags at home.

That's the big takeaway from the new NFL policy revealed Thursday, which will limit the size and type of bags that are allowed into stadiums starting in the preseason. In an effort to increase public safety and expedite entry into the stadium, the NFL Committee on Stadium Security in May unanimously recommended the implementation of the measure.

Fans will have a few options for bringing smalls bags into stadiums. They only will be allowed to bring in small clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12", according to a press release from the league.

Other options include a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (like Ziploc) or a small "clutch bag," approximately the size of a hand. An exception will be made for medically necessary items after they've been
properly inspected at a gate designated for this purpose.

"Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags
or any bag larger than the permissible size," the statement reads.

Similar measures have started at many large college sporting event venues.

"Our fans deserve to be in a safe and secure environment," said Jeffrey Miller, NFL vice president and chief security officer. "Public safety is our top priority. This will make the job of checking items much more efficient and effective. We will be able to deliver a better and quicker experience at the gates and also provide a safer environment. We appreciate our fans' cooperation."

For more information on the policy, visit NFL.com/allclear.

WTF? You just told a family with a child still in diapers to leave their kid at home. If you are truly a "family-friendly" business, you don't make these rules. These rules are purely about making more money. We hear all this happy horse **** in the offseason about improving the fan experience at games, and this is what we get. No diaper bag, no camera bag, no seat cushion. Surely this is just a miscommunication, right? Let's look at the actual policy. Oh wait, the actual policy is exactly what is in the article.

This is garbage. Why claim it is for safety? Just tell us you want to shake us down for more of our money.

I concur.  This is complete and utter bull.  

If their focus was on safety, I would think they would focus their attention more closely on alcohol consumption and increasing stadium security staffing to better police combative fans.  

I think it would be better if they had a policy against douche bags... but hey.

That's exactly why... money.

I've never attempted to bring a bag into FedEx field but I've seen mom's arguing with usher's and security over diaper bags.  The whole thing is a sham.

They even take the bottle caps off of your water bottle now when you buy them, it doesn't stop me from re-filling them, but just the same these guys are finding new and exciting ways to get an extra five bucks out of you every game. 

And no, it's not a FedEx field problem, it's a league problem.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211996/article/nfls-new-bag-policy-to-improve-public-safety-at-games

Fans will have a few options for bringing smalls bags into stadiums. They only will be allowed to bring in small clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12", according to a press release from the league.

why can't we bring a bag that's 12" x 6" x 12" with a strap on it?  I'm sure I can find a bag that small with straps.  Maybe just to be an ass I'll jimmy some straps on a freezer bag :)

NFL fans arriving at stadiums for games in the 2013 season should leave their large bags at home.

That's the big takeaway from the new NFL policy revealed Thursday, which will limit the size and type of bags that are allowed into stadiums starting in the preseason. In an effort to increase public safety and expedite entry into the stadium, the NFL Committee on Stadium Security in May unanimously recommended the implementation of the measure.

Other options include a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (like Ziploc) or a small "clutch bag," approximately the size of a hand. An exception will be made for medically necessary items after they've been

properly inspected at a gate designated for this purpose.

"Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags

or any bag larger than the permissible size," the statement reads.

Similar measures have started at many large college sporting event venues.

"Our fans deserve to be in a safe and secure environment," said Jeffrey Miller, NFL vice president and chief security officer. "Public safety is our top priority. This will make the job of checking items much more efficient and effective. We will be able to deliver a better and quicker experience at the gates and also provide a safer environment. We appreciate our fans' cooperation."

For more information on the policy, visit NFL.com/allclear.

WTF? You just told a family with a child still in diapers to leave their kid at home.

Respectfully, I would ask why a kid in diapers is at the game at all? They are clearly to young to appreciatete the experience and frankly, a pro-football game is no place for a baby!

However, I will agree that the permissable bag size does seem restrictive.

Respectfully, I would ask why a kid in diapers is at the game at all? They are clearly to young to appreciatete the experience and frankly, a pro-football game is no place for a baby!

Respectfully, I respond by saying because my wife and I enjoy attending games  - as does my daughter. She had just turned 2 at the start of last season. She gave people high fives when we scored, sang along to HTTR, and had a blast. She asks almost weekly to go to football game now. It is something I can do with her from the day she was born until the day I leave this earth. A bond we can have. An activity we can share.

I can leave my purse at home, no problem. But my fanny-pack is my backup plan, wtf? A girl's gotta carry stuff!

I agree, the fanny pack is a bit rediculous.  Check that, it's beyond rediculous. 

Respectfully, I respond by saying because my wife and I enjoy attending games  - as does my daughter. She had just turned 2 at the start of last season. She gave people high fives when we scored, sang along to HTTR, and had a blast. She asks almost weekly to go to football game now. It is something I can do with her from the day she was born until the day I leave this earth. A bond we can have. An activity we can share.

I plan on bringing my son to one of the preseason games this year so that I can get him to one before we move.  He just turned three years old last week and we're almost all the way potty-trained with him... but if the Steelers game rolls around and he is still wearing diapers, he's still wearing diapers at the game.  That's how you hook 'em.

-America

Well, I'm glad it works for you but I stand by my opinion that I don't think it's a place for a baby or a toddler.  I wouldn't do it with one of mine but that's me. But not here to derail the thread...

Damn those bags!!

I think having the security force not just wave people through when the lines get long would be a better start.

Honestly, you could get just about anything in under a winter jacket, and the security folks don't do much.

Tough problem to solve: They want to keep the games safe, but also keep the lines moving.  

This particular new policy is just a sham.  

I guess you didn't see what happened in Boston. You are way over reacting.

Have you participated in the cavity searches before a game in the last two years?

Having your bags searched is not a cavity search.

I guess you didn't see what happened in Boston. You are way over reacting.

Have you participated in the cavity searches before a game in the last two years?

Having your bags searched is not a cavity search.

I know it's not, but if you have been to a game in the last year and a half since the new league policy you'd know that it's an experience. 

And all due respect, you are retired Army... you know 100% security does not exist.  In fact, it's impossible.  This is clearly a money ploy.  Plain and simple.

Your entire body gets wanded and your bags get searched after you empty your pockets out. 

Boston is a poor example to give because it doesn't compare on numerous points.  The most of which is that at FedEx there is a choke point, well, multiple choke points.  There was no such thing in a city wide event.

I think having the security force not just wave people through when the lines get long would be a better start.

Honestly, you could get just about anything in under a winter jacket, and the security folks don't do much.

Tough problem to solve: They want to keep the games safe, but also keep the lines moving.  

This particular new policy is just a sham.  

You obviously haven't been to a game in a while either.

Am in San Diego, and heard this topic debated today on local Charger radio today trying to decide if it was motivated by $$$ or safety.  Conclusion was $$$ moreso than safety.  Amazingly enough, clear plastic bags with team logo's that meet specs are now on sale......

To be honest, really won't impact my wife and I that much.....but I really don't see this as making me safer at FEDEX anymore than I see TSA screenings at airports as making me safer when I fly.  This may be a rule more geared to make the average person feel better/safer about coming to a game......not sure how this will dramatically increase profits at the stadium unless one was sneaking in a lot of booze or something prior to the game.

Think the ban on seat cushions is a bit much.........heck, if they are tossed onto the field they can be collected and resold by the home team!!! 

I don't suppose many American Football fans were watching last Sunday when a crazy protester ran onto the clay court of the French Open and charged Rafa Nadal with a flare. Thankfully, it turned out to be a political protester and nothing really happened. But we may remember 5-6 years ago when a fan got onto the field and took the ball right out of Brett Favre's hands. And lets be real, if you can get a hot dog into the stands, you can a knife in too. 

I agree that it is mostly money driven, but I also don't see a need to bring a bags. A clutch is enough for ladies to bring the money and ID, and every guy can fit what he needs in his pockets, especially cargo pants. If you need more then that, well I don't really know what all to tell you. I wouldn't be bringing my kid to the stadium if it involved a diaper bag...

If someone really wanted to do any harm to people at a football game, they dont even have to get inside to do so!!!! Just wait until lines get

really long and backed up... then get into line with a explosive.....once in the middle of hundreds.....

BOOM!

And that is why I always get into the stadium early BEFORE lines get bad!

For women who have periods, I guess they can't go to the games either.  I don't know of any women who would carry a clear bag with their necessary products in it for all to see.

Time for the NFL to get a grip.  They are getting just like the FAA with the rules that force people to buy products after they go through security.  Frankly I think all this "security" stuff is just a way to train the US populace into complying with policies that will turn the US of A into a police state.  We're pretty close to being a police state now.

Archived