Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL.com: NFL's new bag policy to improve public safety at games

Popeman38

I guess you didn't see what happened in Boston. You are way over reacting.

Have you participated in the cavity searches before a game in the last two years?

Having your bags searched is not a cavity search

I know it's not, but if you have been to a game in the last year and a half since the new league policy you'd know that it's an experience. 

And all due respect, you are retired Army... you know 100% security does not exist.  In fact, it's impossible.  This is clearly a money ploy.  Plain and simple.

Your entire body gets wanded and your bags get searched after you empty your pockets out. 

Boston is a poor example to give because it doesn't compare on numerous points.  The most of which is that at FedEx there is a choke point, well, multiple choke points.  There was no such thing in a city wide event.

>I think having the security force not just wave people through when the lines get long would be a better start.

Honestly, you could get just about anything in under a winter jacket, and the security folks don't do much.

Tough problem to solve: They want to keep the games safe, but also keep the lines moving.  

This particular new policy is just a sham.  

You obviously haven't been to a game in a while either.

I've gone to as many games as I can afford over the past several years and never had a problem with security.  It does seem that we were just wanded and sent right on through.  I never had a bag with me so maybe that's why.

It's obvious that these measures were put in place because of what happened in Boston.  Several changes in security policies have taken place nationwide because of Boston.  I agree that exceptions should be made for folks with babies but folks are really overreacting here.

At the old RFK Stadium when my parents had season tickets, we used to pack lunches for four (tons of sandwiches), thermos of coffee, thermos of hot chocolate, other snacks and so on.  Never had any trouble.  My mom used to bring a small battery powered TV to watch the games for instant replays, and a radio to listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank.  She would be sorely disappointed in these times.

Your mom was obviously awesome...hope she's yelling at the Commish.

Hail!

Freakin awesome.  Wish I could have been there but those were vastly different times for our Country as a whole.

They let us tailgate to our hearts content outside for four hours before the game. If you can't stop eating and drinking for 3 hours until you go back outside to your tailgate, you got a problem. IF Dan Snyder really wanted to make you poor souls buy all of his food and drink to make money off of you, he would ban tailgating. But he has not. Instead, he has encouraged more tailgating at FedEx Field. Go ahead and spin that into how Dan Snyder is trying to make more revenue off of those of us attending the game. Your logic simply does not work.

Thank you.  People are on here complaining they wont be able to take 10 items with them for a 3 hour football game.  Seriously, if you are a man you only need wallet, keys and cell phone.  A woman may need wallet (or just ID and cash/credit), phone, keys, possibly a couple small womanly products and that's it.  All that other crap you 'need' is unnecessary to watch a football game.  If you have a kid then really cut back on all those things you 'need'.  One food and drink option is fine for a snack.  One or two diapers and a few wipes is plenty.  If they need more than that then they are simply too young to bring to a game; plain and simple, the dream is over - wait a year or two until they are older.  

Once again, someone talking out of their ass. Since when does requiring more than 2 diaper changes in 5 ****ing hours indicate a child is too young to attend an event. They don't require a ticket (though I own 3 seats so we have the space for her without cramping other people). Seriously, this forum is filled with posts complaining about the drunkenness and profanity and it not being a family environment, and now with blithering idiotic posts stating when it is appropriate to take a kid to a game. Get over yourself. Seriously, if you are a man you won't feel the need to braggadociously tell everyone else what is and isn't appropriate.

They don't require a ticket (though I own 3 seats so we have the space for her without cramping other people).

Good for you.  At least you bought a seat.  Lap passes suck for all but infants.  A 2 year old plus mom plus all the accessories is just to much for the small seats at FedEX.

I take a few different approaches on this.  I understand the back pack Boston Marathon issue 100% but what about the underwear and shoe bomber?  Honestly if someone wants to do harm they will find away to do so no matter what. 

No purses- I understand large puurses, I carry a small water proof bag (Burgundy of course and smaller than the guidelines) that slips over my shoulders does not get in anyone's way, and is always on my body.  Inside said purse I have my wallet with ID, $$, camera, smokes, car keys, tickets, maybe sunglasses (depending on time of game etc).  Any female thing I might need a work ID I always need.  No one needs to see what is inside my purse by being in a clear bag, No I am not leaving my wallet in the Jeep to possibly get stolen by rif raf that roams the parking lots when everyone goes inside. Now I could put a clear ziplock with straps and then put a make up container sealed with my personal items no one needs to see and I will still be within the guidelines but it still is defeating the purpose of the whole thing. I let them check my bag no issue and I open it up while waiting in line.  It is a simple 1 zipper. 

This might be why the no seat cushions-  LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Sippin-Seat-Flask-Stadium-Cushion/dp/B001N1041A

but even then you still have these: (Reef Flops with built in flask)

http://feet.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/04/reef_flask_sandals.php

And other items like the Wine rack or beer belly. 

To me this is kind of silly and I do not understand it at all. 

I feel ya, girl!  My fanny pack has just what you described...smokers unite!(j/k, quittin' ain't easy)...and I carry girl things for others, even if I don't need them at the time, a friendly thing I think, especially amongst we sports girls.  Then there's always "lip stuff", hand sanitizer (saves time in the ladies' room), & band-aids (I'm a grandma, gotta have 'em, you never know).

Let's hear it for being prepared!

My seat cushion, however, is not up for debate!

Leave the kid at home with a family member or baby sitter. Doing the child no good at the Redskins game. Kid will have almost no memory of the game. It's like parents who insist on bringing their babies and toddlers to movies. Just stupid.....and yes, I had three kids. I hired a baby sitter.

Well thanks for informing me. I may have to reconsider how I raise my child. And the no memory BS, please. Children form memories starting around 2. At 3, there are long term memories that can be recalled for life. And attending Redskins games with her dad will be one, thank you very much.

Never saw the 'Skins with my dad, but the Subway World Series will always stand out.  I was 3 1/2.  Will remembering arguing with the woman he was married to at the time about blue or pink cotton candy.  I picked blue...she was upset.  I remember asking my dad why he was taking his glove,("Are you playing, Daddy?") and I remember the answer:  "We're going to Shea Stadium...we may catch a foul ball!"

I've never known why the foul pole is fair territory, and I can't ask him now, he has Alzheimer's.  See?  Some sports fans remember every moment...I've lost a few, but NONE with my dad.  Not one.

No chance I'd take a child to a game. All the crap I've seen week in and week out at that stadium baffles me why anyone would expose their children to that. probably the same people who justify taking their 4 year old into the evil dead and thinking it's ok

Yeah... bags or no bags, I'm bringing my son to his first game this August and I can't wait.

I also play with my children and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse every day. 

Anything else you'd like to follow-up on or offend with your 3rd post?

No chance I'd take a child to a game. All the crap I've seen week in and week out at that stadium baffles me why anyone would expose their children to that. probably the same people who justify taking their 4 year old into the evil dead and thinking it's ok

Hell, I don't want to expose myself to some of it.  I'd rather watch from home.  I don't want to deal with traffic, weather, lines, people or drunks anymore.

Maybe it's the drunkeness and foul language that needs to be curbed and not the presence of children at sporting events.

You know what's funny.  I can cuss like a sailor on shore leave with the best of them and cussing doesn't really offend me.  But I also feel like cussing should incorporate "time and place."  Went to the Skins-Patriots game two years ago and this young woman (20s) came up the stairs with a beer (upperdeck) with her "Tommy Brady" jersey on, sat down in the next section and proceed to let go with a bunch of F-Bombs during the stoppage in play when nothing was going on.  Totally inapproipriate.  Now, if the team does something stupid on the field and someone lets go an F-Bomb, it doesn't bother me.  Went to a minor league baseball game the other night and I was sitting behind the dugout and nearly every player would let go with a "Duck" every time they got out.

Yeah... bags or no bags, I'm bringing my son to his first game this August and I can't wait.

Lol I'm sorry my opinion didn't meet your standards, but I stand by it in saying that being around a bunch of drunk, unruly and sometimes violent people isn't appropriate for kids..... and I hope yours isn't exposed to any of that in the wonderland you seem to be living in where it's ok to be around that

It's the great irony of the NFL and the people who regularly attend games.

If the NFL was more concerned with getting families and every day people into the games and less on nickel and diming a bunch of people who come to drink, swear, and treat games like some all inclusive club that some people shouldn't go to, they'd probably have less violence in the stands and more money.

Lol I'm sorry my opinion didn't meet your standards, but I stand by it in saying that being around a bunch of drunk, unruly and sometimes violent people isn't appropriate for kids..... and I hope yours isn't exposed to any of that in the wonderland you seem to be living in where it's ok to be around that

No issues with your post other than the generalizations.  Everyone is free an open to their opinion obviously.  If you are a responsible parent and a responsible adult who isn't lazy with your kid you'd be surprised at what you can enjoy with your children.  I do consider NFL games a bit much, which is why he will be attending a pre-season game and probably only the first half.  But that's less about idiots and what they do and more about the fact that there are 75k plus people there and three hours is a long time to keep a 3 year old occupied who isn't fully invested.  If a parent can do it, Air ****ing borne.

So I can assume quite a bit from your post, but that doesn't solve anything does it?

• 2 months later...

If you can buy it in the Redskins' store, they'll let you bring it in. For instance, if I have a seat cushion (I use a pillow) there's no chance they won't let you bring it back to a 2nd game.  I'd be pretty shocked if they could turn away anything that has the officially licensed NFL tag on it.

If it was my stadium, I'd make them turn away anyone wearing visiting team gear. Or... they could throw it out and buy new gear inside :)

Guys, really, a diaper bag is probably okay. You'd say it was medically imperative. You'd go through the handicapped gate, and you'd be fine. But get yourself a smaller diaper bag. a handful of diapers, a bag of travel wipes, and a tube of desitin doesn't take up that much space. It's easier to carry on your way to see Chief Zee for a photo opp. He's a great guy about it and nothing beats showing your family a picture of your baby and Chief Zee.

I LOL'd at this :)

So we had our first taste of the implementation. It's very disappointing. The pillows I bought in the Redskins HOF store were blocked at the gate. I argued with the guard and then again with guest services, but they pretty much told me it sucked to be me and actually suggested I stash them in the bushes and hope for the best. Thankfully I was able to find a security guard to keep an eye on them for me, outside of the stadium of course.

So not only am I pissed they sold me something in years past that they won't let me bring back in, which isn't on the list, they're not working with me or helping in any way, and the all fuss made me miss the opening kick and I wasn't in my chair for a couple of plays. So the whole experience has me pretty hot.

After the game I head back to the HOF store and find some interesting items for sale:

1. Drawstring backpacks, clearly larger than a gallon freezer bag

2. Large, maybe even double sized pillows (again, I don't see pillows listed in the OP)

3. Seat cushions

I don't see how this is legal.

After the game I head back to the HOF store and find some interesting items for sale:

1. Drawstring backpacks, clearly larger than a gallon freezer bag

2. Large, maybe even double sized pillows (again, I don't see pillows listed in the OP)

3. Seat cushions

I don't see how this is legal.

I think the policy stinks, but I doubt it's illegal.  It's kind of like in airports.  They will sell a soda but if you try to go through security with it they will make you toss it.  Then after you clear security you're free to go buy another coke just like you threw away. 

The items for sale are just poor form. The already purchased items more of like an ex-post-facto, or bait and switch kind of thing. We bought these items with the promise that we'd be allowed to use them at future events. After the purchase, they change the deal. Our long term investment have now become garbage. That's not legal - especially if your new policy outlines very specific items which are okay and limits pretty much everything else because restricted items are "not limited to" the items restricted in the policy. It's a slimy way to turn stadium gear purchases into rentals. Worse, they sell you things without telling you they won't be allowed back in. When you buy something at an event it's implied you can bring that item back. Are hats and coats next?

The actual policy:

http://www.nfl.com/allclear#question10

Anyone know of a place to complain directly to the NFL and not just the Redskins?

Here's the comment I left for the NFL:

I went to my first pre-season game of the 2013 season. Much
to my displeasure the pillows I’ve brought to every home game and some away
games for the past decade, purchased in the stadium during previous events,
were turned away at the door. I’m told they were in violation of the new bag
policy.  This policy is ridiculous. Enforcement
of the policy is even worse.  Clearly “pillow”
is nowhere listed as a restricted item. Further, blankets are specifically
allowed because they’re easy to screen – much like a team logo covered pillow.

This policy, or more specifically how this policy is being
enforced, in no way makes stadiums safer. Worse, it detracts from the in
stadium experience. Adding to the incredulous situation, all items restricted
in the document are easily found for sale before, during, and after the game in
the stadium store and on the team website.

Tell me this isn’t meant to be brought to the game:

http://store.redskins.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2729&catID=43

“Officially licensed Redskins seat cushions are a great way for
showing support and being comfortable while sitting and watching the big event.”

It appears purchased through the website it’s a knickknack
and purchased at the stadium it’s rental. It’s deplorable business.

The bigger issue is that I have to explain to my kids,
likely to their horror, that we can’t have pillows at football games because
the NFL is scared someone will use them to kill us all. Say that out loud. The absurdity
of it is laughable. If someone wants to kill us all they’re not using a pillow.
I’m all for common sense measures like easy to screen bags but telling the
world they can’t have seat cushions is the terrorists winning. We’ve needlessly
and pointlessly given up our freedom without gaining even a shred of security
in the process.

Please update the policy to reflect more common sense and
the perception that we’re in a land full of people brave enough to attend
football games surrounded by soft cushy objects.

I also sent that to the Redskins.  Here's the link for where I sent it to the NFL for anyone else who'd like to complain:

http://www.nfl.com/contact-us

I selected "other".

Archived