Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rebranding Abercrombie & Fitch #FitchtheHomeless

AsburySkinsFan

Last week we found out about Abercrombie & Fitch's elitist and superficial marketing scheme which is completely discriminatory against larger customers, because apparently heavy kids aren't the cool kids and can't be cool kids. Well, I committed then to boycott Abercrombie & Fitch permanently....until now......

#FitchtheHomeless

For those who haven't heard about Abercrombie & Fitch's philosophy, click here.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

1) I don't buy things like A & F or Tommy Hilfiger and such so I don't contribute to their riches, plus I'm too old to wear that kind of stuff.

2) We ALWAYS donate our clothes to the veterans or local shelter. We also have a clothes bin in the parking lot across the street from our house in the shopping center that collects clothes.

3) He's an idiot. Money is money and I wouldn't care who it came from.

That's hilarious.

And constructive. I like it.

I had vowed to just boycott the clothes, first we don't buy from A&F in the mall too $$$, but we pick up nice clothes from second hand stores, flea markets and yard sales so I was going to make sure that we didn't buy any lest we be passively supporting and endorsing their product. But this is a perfect idea, because it takes a negative and turns it into a positive. I really hope this catches on.

My son asked me what the deal was and why I was frustrated with A&F, as I sat him down I reminded him of his friend in the 5th grade who is taller than he is and is just naturally a larger girl, not fat just big it hit him when I told him that A&F doesn't make clothes for her because they think that she can't be cool because she is big, he immediately replied, "but she's one of the most popular girls in school". Yup, out of the mouths of babes.

I love how often younger kids are much more free from the prejudices that haunt our society.

One might wonder why Mike Jeffries only wants to be in the company of good-looking people. That curiosity will end after seeing what this freak looks like.

After seeing a picture of Mike Jeffries, it can only be concluded that he was never around good-looking people as a kid and is now making up for the glamorous youth he wishes he had.

As reprehensible as the comments were, on some level I appreciate the honesty from a corporation.

It's be great to hear from: Glaxo "Honestly, we don't really care if this drug cures you but if we advertise it you MIGHT think you have this disorder."

Under Armour: "Our fabrics are made from the same stuff as the Target brand, but our models and advertising look good and people are generally suckers."

Apple: "Our customers are not the most tech-saavy, but they tend to have more disposable income so it drags along the aspiring affluents."

I don't think any of us can really be surprised by the comments, I think the fact that they were actually said is what is jarring. But are most people deluding themselves if they thought this wasn't AF's MO all along? "High Fashion" whatever segment, has never been geared toward those with less than ideal bodies.

People are awful, it's nothing new.

As reprehensible as the comments were, on some level I appreciate the honesty from a corporation.

I don't think any of us can really be surprised by the comments, I think the fact that they were actually said is what is jarring. But are most people deluding themselves if they thought this wasn't AF's MO all along? "High Fashion" whatever segment, has never been geared toward those with less than ideal bodies.

People are awful, it's nothing new.

Agreed, but it isn't often that we find a way to hit back. Companies will always use ads to make money and oversell their products which aren't really all they're supposed to be. Where A&F differs is the fact that they are pushing the damaging stereotype that only people with certain physical characteristics can be "cool" or popular. It's even more damning when we realize the startling number of young women who because of social pressure have found themselves in the a struggle for their very lives with anorexia and bulimia.

I just buy my clothing at Sears or Wal-Mart. I don't need to go to some pretentious uppity store to pop my collar and be an elitist.

One exception though is sports gear. For much of the sports gear, you don't have a choice. You have to pay hefty prices for Redskins hoodies from the official Redskins store, or other stores like Champs / Modell's / whatever else you have in the mall.

I was lucky to find a Redskins hoodie at K-Mart a few years back or else I wouldn't wear Redskins swag :ols:

There's a big difference between talking about "being the brand for cool/hot/desirable" to the CEO explicitly and gleefully saying "fat chicks not welcome".

You're right, it says "fat chicks can't be cool/hot/desirable".

Actually, when you say that "fat chicks can't be cool/hot/desirable" and you refuse to make clothes in their sizes for that reason you are saying fat chicks not welcome.

All this guy and his company are doing is perpetuating the same harmful thinking that hurts so many young women.

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 10:46 AM ----------

I just buy my clothing at Sears or Wal-Mart. I don't need to go to some pretentious uppity store to pop my collar and be an elitist.

Neither do I, but A&F are selling the lie that people must be skinny in order to be cool/attractive/desirable, all this while they are targeting high school kids who are often very prone to social pressure to conform. Funny thing is that A&F used to sell clothes of all sizes, then they rebranded themselves into what they are now, I just plan on helping to rebrand them again.

Oh, and burning flawed clothes rather than giving them to the needy or selling them to discount retailers like just about every other clothing retailer does...tisk tisk tisk.

Agreed, but it isn't often that we find a way to hit back. Companies will always use ads to make money and oversell their products which aren't really all they're supposed to be. Where A&F differs is the fact that they are pushing the damaging stereotype that only people with certain physical characteristics can be "cool" or popular. It's even more damning when we realize the startling number of young women who because of social pressure have found themselves in the a struggle for their very lives with anorexia and bulimia.

oh I don't mind that people are hitting back. I'm just pointing out that it was obvious, even without the words out of the CEO's mouth, that this was their policy. Watch what people do, not what they say (or don't say) to see what it is they value.

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

There's a big difference between talking about "being the brand for cool/hot/desirable" to the CEO explicitly and gleefully saying "fat chicks not welcome".

I'm probably jaded from being in the advertising industry. The more powerful damage was already being inflicted at a subliminal level—the images, the exclusiveness, the unhelpfulness of associates, etc. It didn't need to be said.

oh I don't mind that people are hitting back. I'm just pointing out that it was obvious, even without the words out of the CEO's mouth, that this was their policy. Watch what people do, not what they say (or don't say) to see what it is they value.

Usually when I talk about this inevitably someone points out Victoria Secret and how they advertise a certain "look" for sexy, but what they miss is that Victoria Secret makes XL clothes. Yes, VS is selling a certain image of sexy, but they are making their clothes available to even those women who won't ever be in their advertisements.

Usually when I talk about this inevitably someone points out Victoria Secret and how they advertise a certain "look" for sexy, but what they miss is that Victoria Secret makes XL clothes. Yes, VS is selling a certain image of sexy, but they are making their clothes available to even those women who won't ever be in their advertisements.

But they aren't doing that to be nice. That's a bottom line (no pun intended) decision. VS is not outwardly visible wear, while AF is. They have more motivation to "control" who wears their stuff.

But they aren't doing that to be nice. That's a bottom line (no pun intended) decision. VS is not outwardly visible wear, while AF is. They have more motivation to "control" who wears their stuff.

VS sells much more than underwear, they have an entire clothing line.

This is absolutely right. I've never bought or worn A&F clothes because I've always found their marketing insulting. This statement coming out is merely compounding the insult.

For kicks I went to the A&F Facebook page. It's been completely overrun. Very amusing.

Yes. The difference is most companies, even the ones Elessar78 has mentioned, market their brands by saying 'if you buy this, you will be cool/smart/sexy/whatever' whereas A&F says 'only if you are cool can you buy this.'

It's an important distinction. One is just a lie. The other is an insulting lie.

Henry's right, their FB is overrun with negative comments. I'm interested to see how this plays out. People are proclaiming the end for them, but attention spans are short. If they don't go under because of this negative publicity, then it's just bad for society as a whole. It's open season for being shallow and materialistic.

Is ironic the right word? But the CEO is talking about exclusivity to the beautiful but their whole premise is far from, well, beautiful. It's the ugly side of humanity. It's kinda along the same way I feel about being a Redskins fan: the CEO treats the fan base awfully, but we still come back.

From the business insider artilce that (re) started this issue.

""Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either," he told Salon. "

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/abercrombie-wants-thin-customers-2013-5#ixzz2TNT27M57

The sad thing is that this attention, is exactly what he's looking for for his business. Sadly, the "good looking" probably won't stop shopping there in droves. And the stigma derived from wearing AF gear, will just "enhance" the exclusivity- "they hate me 'cause I'm beautiful".

It's perverse marketing (on multiple levels).

This guy has a slightly different take on "Fitch the Homeless".

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/05/fitch-the-homeless-no-thanks/

I'm not affiliated with the blog at all.

I think the error in his logic is here...

We still get someone who thinks he can score points on A&F by distributing their clothes to the poor, and the only reason those points can be scored is because he accepts the premise that these are unworthy people.

One doesn't have to accept the premise that the homeless are unworthy in order to do this, it is simply a recognition that A&F believes that the homeless are unworthy people and acting in spite of A&F's superficial convictions.

The sad thing is that this attention, is exactly what he's looking for for his business. Sadly, the "good looking" probably won't stop shopping there in droves. And the stigma derived from wearing AF gear, will just "enhance" the exclusivity- "they hate me 'cause I'm beautiful".

It's perverse marketing (on multiple levels).

Yup. I thought of that. It's possible that A&F is probably loving this free advertising. It's not like they've even attempted to back off on any of it.

Abercrombie does something like this every few years to get people riled up. Remember the thread here a long time ago about the controversial dry cleaning tshirt featuring Asians? http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-04-24/features/0204240012_1_college-clothier-abercrombie-tom-goulet-san-jose-accountant

Their lookbook with nudity and gay overtones was another cause for controversy a few years ago and I know I'm forgetting something else.

I agree with Elessar78's take, I kind of find the honesty refreshing, they cater to spoiled brats and they don't care about it. And he's also right when he says they're loving the free advertising. They embrace this sort of stuff, they always find a way to make headlines every so often. It probably results in an uptick of business for them, they get more rich people in the door who think what they represent is cool and buy a few more tshirts. I don't agree with their policy about sizes and I think it's pretty ridiculous, but at least they're not shy about what they represent even as ****ed up as it is. However, kids are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find out the popularity contest doesn't stop after high school/jr high.

... was another cause for controversy a few years ago and I know I'm forgetting something else.

- Marketing thong underwear to middle school girls with phrases like "Wink Wink" printed on the front.

- Girl's T-shirts that say "Do I make you look fat?"

Archived