Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you make more money than your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend?

Springfield

Certainly make more,always have and it looks like I always will

no chance of quitting working(self employed) w/o liquidating all assets or going on the dole ...too many depend on me.

but it is tempting

I do make much more than my GF. And I could get by on substantially less than I make but no I could not just ride out the rest of my life without some kind of income. I could be enticed to change venues even at a lower salary but there would have to be at least the stability of maintaining employment for the next 8 to 10 years. Experience is a highly valued commodity where I am working at and within three years I will be at the top of the seniority list - and my employer is well aware of this. In about 5 years my house will be paid off and then I could probably just walk off and still get by.

My wife makes more money than I do, and like to remind me of it now and then. :mad: :ols:

We are financially stable, but if we both were to just quit working, we would have to move to someplace very, very cheap and scale back like mad until we could draw on our retirement assets. I could quit now and we could get by for along time on her salary, but we would eat into our savings awfully fast.

I make a few thousand more a year than my fiancé but that's only after a recent promotion. We seem to swap those back and forth and she will make more than me when she gets another which should be in the next 6 months. It doesnt both me. We are bother career driven and the more she makes the better off we are.

We do both make very good money for our area and age too so we are pretty stable and comfortable and are able to live the exact lifestyle we want and travel etc so I'm good with that.

My wife makes more money than I do, and like to remind me of it now and then. :mad: :ols:

I could live with that lol

mine has never made a real effort,which is partly my fault for telling her she didn't have to

of all the things to listen to me on.......

My wife makes more than me now. We could probably live off her salary if we cut back significantly and made adjustments (i.e. not eating out so much, cutting back on premium cable channels, not buying new TVs, etc.). But, I wouldn't quit my job, I love it and my company takes good care of its employees. Plus I work from home now, so I'm saving about $250 in gas a month with no commute (I drive a Sequoia and was dropping $75 every 6 days in gas).

The only way Id even consider voluntarily becoming a stay at home dad would be if she were to make at minimum a salary equivalent to our combined salaries, preferably more than that. Even then it would be hard, because I'd feel guilty that I'd give up a really great salary that could be used to save even more money for our little girl. Plus, I like being able to go out to eat when I want, where I want and buy a movie, etc. and not feel guilt.

I guess it goes back to when we first got married, out of college we both were only making $8/hr, with rent, bills, 2 car payments and because we were going out so much partying with friends on the weekends, we blew through our entire savings in 8 months. I remember coming home and telling her to get ready to go out and she said we can't afford it. Then literally showed me a copy of our savings statement. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

So, I've been poor before, and that's all fine and dandy, builds character, but sucks ass. Hell, I had to pawn off CDs, old games, etc. just to afford to buy a new video game back then. By no means are we wealthy/rich. But we are simple peeps and live comfortably and I love the feeling that I can also go out and buy my daughter stuff for no other reason than because I love her.

When I was married, I made the money and we lived off my income. It wasn't easy, but it was done.

Not in a relationship now, but I don't see myself ever not having or wanting to have a career. Even if I married a millionaire, being successful in my career is something that's very important to me.

I do make more than my wife but there was a year and a half stretch where she surpassed me. She started asking questions like if I'd be willing to get a personal trainer if she paid for it.

We actually could BUT it'd be tight and it'd be with few frills and we'd pare down a lot of things. Retirement savings and weekly savings would be put on hold. So, if you look at it from that perspective, we couldn't go down to one income. If we did, it would be "surviving"—which is not a bad thing.

There have been 6 lead changes in this particular game and my wife is currently winning. I think I'll retake the lead next year... Until then I just make sure I keep it within striking distance.

No there is no way we could both quit right now. We just had a baby and are in our early 30s. I think one of us could though if we wanted to really scale things back. I don't see that happening however.

I am make more than my wife. She is in graduate school.

My salary can cover all of our living expenses on a moderatly tight budget. No big vacations and no big contributions to our IRAs - but enough to be comfortable.

When she is done school she will probably make slightly less than me but wih a much higher future potential.

The best part is we have lived for 2 years on such a strict budget that when she is working again it is going to feel rich. :ols:

We currently have enough to support us for 1 year unemployed.

I make 1 1/2 times my wife's salary, but she makes a good salary for someone who has been in the country less than 10 years. We could live off my salary, but we'd have to make some "luxury" cuts. She said someday she wants to make six figures. She could if she keeps working at her profession. At that time, I may be ready to retire. I'm 9 yeas older than she is.

Yes, but not always. Some years she does better, some years i do.

retirement... well.. for most of you I guess it's something you look forward to because you can drop out of the rat race, stop driving to work every day, stop dealing with co-workers, and relax.

I sort of already did that.

If I retired, I'd still do what i'm doing. I make things.. i can't stop making things. i enjoy designing and making art, I enjoy creating websites and cartoons and radio shows and finding new music and making fun of athletes,,

And for this people pay me.. so why would i do it for nothing? I free lance, i find my own clients, or my clients find me.

It'd be nice to be able to retire from things like the constant learning curve to stay up on new tools and tech, but other than that, my life is pretty laid back.

I like my clients, I don't have problems with most of them, and no major problems with any of them. Those who give me trouble, i drop.

Most of them come to me through referrals, i do some rat-racing to hunt down business, but not much.

I set my own hours, mostly.. meaning if I want to play tennis on a tuesday morning, I can. And it also means that if a client needs to see me tuesday, I can play tennis Wednesday.

I have 24 hours in any given day to put in my work for the day, some days that's 4 hours, most days it's about 10-12.

I DO work pretty much every day though.. although most of the time it's what I'd be doing anyway.

I have assets, but have to watch money carefully. I live sort of like a bohemian with roots.. if that makes sense. I own a home, have bills, etc. i don't live off the courtesy of others, I work hard for my clients, and it insures I keep working. But to me, it's not work, even when it is.

I could conceivably do this for the rest of my life.

~Bang

i make double what my wife makes, but thats because im further into my career as she went sraight to grad school.

but with her being private industry and me being government, she'll probably pass me in 5 years or so lol. and my ego is just fine with that :)

I make close to 3 times what my wife makes but she is in residency and about to start her last year. Then she will have 1 year of fellowship. Once she is done, I expect her to make way more money than me. It's a sacrifice I made to get her through Med school and residency so she could further her career. I'll follow her where ever she goes after fellowship to practice. So right now, there is no way we could live off a single income but we are living comfortably and probably spend more than we really need to.

Archived