Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Pretty sure he's laughing at the idea that they can ever get "Ahead" of it at this point when they have dug themselves such a deep hole.

Also the colors would be the first thing I'd want to change, but that's just me being selfish because I think I look ridiculous in Burgundy and Gold. I root for the Skins harder than any DC Team but I own very little merchandise because of the colors. 

I agree with you.  For this reason, almost all the team gear I've ever had was white, black, or gray.  

And I've kind of always been a fan of DC teams having red, white, and blue.  But too many teams in the league use some form of that scheme already.  

I can live with a name change.

Just go with "Warriors" and go with the old school Spear-on-the helmet look.

Time to move on.....

If a change is gonna happen, that's always been the simplest solution and still the best one.  Or any version of non-specific warrior imagery.

I call bull**** on the whole "whaa, they're still gonna come after us" crowd.  Indians, Seminoles, Blackhawks, Utes, etc…  The reason that they are coming after us is because…THE WORD REDSKINS IS. A. RACIAL. SLUR…It just is.

You sure? :)

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2014-articles/native-american-redskins-fan-and-what-they-dont-want-you-to-know-about-the-r-word.html

NATIVE AMERICAN REDSKINS FAN REVEALS WHAT THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE R-WORD

Posted by Anthony Brown on Jun 16, 2014 15:11

This post originally appeared as a comment by Native American Redskins fan, Mark One Wolf to a blog post, Reclaim “Redskin,” An Indian expression, not a slur. Hog Heaven republishes One Wolf’s comment here with his permission.

An online story popped on my desktop a few days ago. As I have many things to do, I took my time to read it. I see this post was written a while back (Nov. 2013), but I decided to take the time to reply.

Perhaps I can give you a more appropriate point of view concerning the name Redskins. Obviously, there is no consensus across the board. I can only speak for myself with the assurance that many others feel as I do.

I am Chinene N’de or the Red Paint People. I am proud of my heritage and culture. You may never have heard of Chihene N’de. You may know us better as Apache or maybe Chiricahua Apache, the same as you may not know the name Goyathlay, but recognize him as Geronimo. Apache, Geronimo, and Indian were names GIVEN by our enemies. Apache derives from a Zuni word, apachu, a derogatory term that means enemy strangers. It is said that in France the slang for street thug is “Apache.” Most Apache have come to accept these given word identifiers primarily because we know who we truly are.

Let’s be clear on the issue with “Redskins.” Dan Snyder and the Washington Redskins are not suggesting that we call Native Americans “redskins” again. It is and has been for 80+ years the name of the football team. No one has ever suggested that we ditch American Indian or Native American and go with Redskin.

Okay, the term redskin has a storied history for sure, as does this country and its policies on “dealing with the Indian problem” To the Whites we were Indians, but natives had no concept of India so more than likely my ancestors probably thought it meant “Human” or “Person.” So in turn, we translated Indian as Person and you end up with some literal translation of a word that is some variant of Red People, Red Man, Red Paint People, Red skin.

Not sure why it was necessary to translate our words, but I suppose it’s the same for other people like the Japanese. In their language, you cannot even spell JAPAN. They say Nihon and that they are Nihon Jin, but we say Japanese.

So, Redskins….

While there is plenty of documentation that this word was not given to us by those who sought to “deal” with us, this was a word born from our people’s language and used by our people when dealing with the government. Red does not now and has never has referred to our natural skin color. Even the settlers did not initially describe us as “red.” They described us as tawny, bronze, copper or brown. Red is a Spiritual reference and varies from tribe to tribe. It has to do with our origin being made from the Red Earth of these lands.

It is not a matter of reclaiming this word as a term to call the collective population of Native Americans. This is about having pride in it and not allowing the ignorance of a few to steal that proud word and turn it into a slur. People can prefer to call themselves whatever they want. People can choose to be proud or choose to be offended. I am not suggesting taking away the right to feel offense. But neither should anyone tread on my right to see this word as a symbol of unity and pride.

Thank you,

Mark One Wolf

I think they'll probably change the current logo too.

If people have issues with the name I doubt they'll be thrilled with an NA mascot period.

Screw 'em.  People will always whine about something.  They'll just have to live with it.

What's not to like?

:evilg:

Gross.

This is directed at nobody in particular, just a general musing; It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Redskins fans so readily willing to accept the agenda filled bigotry from the minority and concede defeat on OUR name (which should never be an issue to start with); or worse actually agree with the minority.

I find that both more frustrating, and in the latter case HIGHLY insulting; coming from fellow fans of our team.

Washington REDSKINS.

It's our identity. It's our heritage. It's our team. It's our NAME. Change the name, you lose a MASSIVE part of who we are and what we've achieved over the years.

Keep fighting and stonewalling Danny. Appeal thi latest B/S and make the minority agenda filled biggots, who are EVERY bit as racist as they claim our proud heritage is; rue every last cent they've spent on this legal disgrace.

Washington REDSKINS for EVER!

Hail.

I disagree with you on the colors like most people here disagree with me about the imagery.

Burgundy and gold have a romantic glow under the autumn sun. It would be impossible to replace imo. There are only so many colors in the wheel, and they've all been taken before us. 

Working in graphic design, there's a million colors out there, trust me.  

Once the Redskins name changes. Every Native American name in Pro/College sports will be on a clock. Even the ones that have deals with some tribes. Other tribes will still claim its offensive for some reason. I believe that. 

Yep, we're the big domino in the front of the line. 

This is directed at nobody in particular, just a general comment; It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Redskins fans so readily willing to accept the agenda filled bigotry from the minority and concealer defeat sober OUR name (which should never be an issue to start with); or worse actually agree with the minority.

I find that both more frustrating, and in the latter case HIGHLY insulting; coming from fellow fans of our team.

Washington REDSKINS.

It's our identity. It's our heritage. It's our team. It's our NAME. Change the name, you lose a MASSIVE part of who we are and what we've achieved over the years.

Keep fighting and stonewalling Danny. Appeal thi latest B/S and make the minority agenda filled biggots, who are EVERY bit as racist as they claim out proud heritage is; rue every last cent they've spent on this legal disgrace.

Washington REDSKINS for EVER!

Hail.

I agree; however, it's a very small number of Redskin fans who want to change the name.  I personally don't understand them at all.  If they find it so offensive, why are they still fans of the football team?   As far as I'm concerned, they can go perfume their own vanities and express their faux outrage somewhere else.

A warrior is a generic term.  A warrior could literally be anybody.  Unless you attribute the term to a specific group?

Because without Native American images, it could represent anything. The American Military for example.

A warrior is good at war (read: killing people). Nope, not offensive at all!

Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said in a statement that “no matter what the ruling is this year, we expect no change that will impact the Redskins.”

“Even a negative ruling will have no effect at all on the team’s use of the Redskins name and logo,” he said. “That’s how the process works given our right to appeal.”

http://brandbodyguards.com/will-the-redskins-be-able-to-keep-their-name/

Even if they prevail, McCallion said, revoking the team’s trademark registration wouldn’t have a huge impact on the team or the name. The team could still sell merchandise and use the name, although some of the legal protection afforded by a registered trademark would be lost

http://time.com/33837/washington-redskins-dan-snyder-nfl-trademark/

Regardless of whether the American Indian plaintiffs win those cancellations, it won’t end the dispute. Registering a trademark just strengthens trademark rights. Even without registrations, the team would still have powerful “common law” trademark rights − rights sufficient to keep other football teams from using the name Redskins.

The team would still be able to call itself the Redskins. It doesn’t need trademark registrations to use the name. There is no law against using that name, and, even if such a law was passed, it would not survive First Amendment scrutiny.

under the law, the issue is whether the name was derogatory in the eyes of a substantial component of the American Indian community when the Redskins trademarks were registered at the USPTO, which occurred between 1967 and 1990, with the most important registrations occuring in 1974 and 1978.

Sounds like the trademark office is admitting they made a mistake by issuing the trademarks in the first place.

Archived