Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Not even close. If they went to the Washington Warlocks then it would be just as bad.

Washington Witchdoctors? Washington Wombats? Washington Whackos? Washington Wimps?

Just spitballing here...

"I don’t know where the name came from or how it came about, but the bottom line is that it’s still here in this day and age, and it makes no sense to have it,”

Sounds like his opinion should be weighed in

He's still bitter that Gilbert Arenas was boning his wife.

I can't speak for the other forums.  But here is link to a thread at BBI talking about the issue five years ago.  This discussion isn't anything new.

Ya, I've seen it brought up plenty of times over at Cowboyszone and Igglephans throughout the past decade. It's often our fans who are most involved with the discussion on those other boards.

The place where I've been asked most is when I've traveled to road games in other cities. Last year it was Denver, in 2012 it was Cleveland. Somebody at the bar will see me in my colors the night before the game. We strike up a conversation about football, and they inevitably bring up the name. At the tailgate the next morning, a neighboring fan will do the same. It's never been mean spirited finger wagging, it's just the typical small talk you make with the locals when you travel. People are curious about us. 

there's literally only one name change I'd accept, the Washington Braves

I would "accept" anything in that I'm not going anywhere and will continue to be just as big a fan after any potential name change. But, Braves would be my preference since there's some historical connection to the franchise. My only concern would be that it might just be buying us more time (if a lot of these Native American-themed names will come under fire in the near-term). 

Also, I don't think everyone is as steadfast as some think (at least in this thread). 

Personally, my preference right now is that they keep the name Redskins simply because I'm used to it, associate it with our past, and haven't yet seen anything compelling that makes me think a large number of people are offended. But I've said that if another poll came out and it looked like a growing number of Native Americans wanted the name changed, that would be enough for me. 

I don't care if columnists, analysts, or politicians (unless any of them are Native American) want it changed. I'd like to see in, ahem, black and white, that the group we are representing dislikes the name. I don't know what the threshold is to change the name though. It's far less than a majority for sure...

I would "accept" anything in that I'm not going anywhere and will continue to be just as big a fan after any potential name change. But, Braves would be my preference since there's some historical connection to the franchise. My only concern would be that it might just be buying us more time (if a lot of these Native American-themed names will come under fire in the near-term). 

Just as a practical matter, I don;t see the Skins changing their name to any name which is already affiliated with a major sports team, in any other sport. 

Change the name to "Braves", and I think we have to spend the next five years in court arguing over whether it infringes the trademark of the Atlanta Braves. 

(Although I'm not sure why I don't think the same thing would happen, with Warriors.  Maybe because the Warriors are irrelevant.  :) )

Just as a practical matter, I don;t see the Skins changing their name to any name which is already affiliated with a major sports team, in any other sport. 

Change the name to "Braves", and I think we have to spend the next five years in court arguing over whether it infringes the trademark of the Atlanta Braves. 

(Although I'm not sure why I don't think the same thing would happen, with Warriors.  Maybe because the Warriors are irrelevant.  :) )

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Is there precedent for that? Like you alluded to, we have names that are shared in different sports (Giants, Cardinals, etc.). 

Warriors isn't horrible to me like to some. I actually think it's a pretty cool compromise. 

Zero cares what he thinks.. He's getting roasted in the comments section, including by some identifying themselves as NA.

I don't really care about Champ Bailey anymore either...but why doesn't he have a right to speak on the matter? If UnWise Mike can write columns about it, certainly current NFL players (especially current and ex-Redskins) can chime in. 

Tough does not roll over when self serving media blowhards are trying to make a mockery out of our team.

Can you name one person who refused to sign with the Redskins because of our name?

Seriously, just name one?

Do you think we would have a shot at Richard Sherman if he became a free agent?

How about London Fletcher talking about how he felt uneasy with the name.

Even Art Monk has spoken up about it.

Even if the current effects are minimal, can you not foresee the future? The pressure on players, coaches, and even fans. It's just going to get worse. All liberal ideas creep up until they are a force you cannot control. Better to change the name under your own demands than others. If you change the name now, we can keep our history. The term "Redskins" will slowly fade, become forgotten outside of football, and never become as racist as "N*gger." If you wait, the public outcry will just get worse until history perceives our team as racist.

I think that ad last night was stupid and love whoever posted the Red Mesa High School Redskins picture. Not too familiar with the demographics of the school but have heard it is Native American majority. Proves that ad wrong. The problem is that posting that stuff to message boards doesn't help the Redskins cause. It's going to take a voice louder than the Oneida Nation and the rest of the white guilt activists. That's not going to happen.

I love the Redskins name. But I love Washington football more. I'll choose the ladder all day.

PS. I'm not a liberal and I'm not trying to sell anything. Just trying to help brace our fans. I apologize if I offend anybody.

just change the name. Im really tired of this conversation.

Hear me out.

You ever had a child ask you for something, and you tell them no. Yet, they keep on asking you, and you still tell them no. Then they start to whine, and cry, and complain. And you continue to tell them no. But they keep complaining and crying, and whining...

It's at this moment you have two choices, you give them what they want so they can be quiet, or, you send them a message letting them no that no matter how much they complain, they are not getting what they want.

Right now, I am in the middle of that. I want to change the name so bad so people can shut up, but I also don't want to go out like a little punk.

If you change the name now, we can keep our history. The term "Redskins" will slowly fade, become forgotten outside of football, and never become as racist as "N*gger." If you wait, the public outcry will just get worse until history perceives our team as racist.

Ironic. The public outcry over the term will be what ends up making it racist. Probably not Harjo's intended consequence.

Hear me out.

You ever had a child ask you for something, and you tell them no. Yet, they keep on asking you, and you still tell them no. Then they start to whine, and cry, and complain. And you continue to tell them no. But they keep complaining and crying, and whining...

It's at this moment you have two choices, you give them what they want so they can be quiet, or, you send them a message letting them no that no matter how much they complain, they are not getting what they want.

Right now, I am in the middle of that. I want to change the name so bad so people can shut up, but I also don't want to go out like a little punk.

Yes, that would definitely be the best reason for doing so...because some fans are tired of talking about it.

This is the endgame that the Halbriters, Reid's, and UnWise Mikes of the world want. They want to dwindle your resolve down until you change the name simply so they'll shut up.

here is the thing, this isnt going anywhere. This isnt a child. This is people with a lot of money who will keep saying its offensive. The name probably is offensive. THe history of the team is not going anywhere if the name is changed. We wont give up the Super Bowls and the NFL championship. And we will probably make more money off this.

I do not like how the team is handling this, and I dont like that this name offends people. But I also dont like UnWise Mike types talking about this all the time too. I just want to watch and support my football team. A lot of people are bothered by it from former players, fans, etc. I want us to talk about the abject nature of our team, and not this stuff. Just change the name and move forward. We will look a lot better in the long run.

As a never name change guy, I understand I have nothing to do with it.

But if we went to the ridiculous suggestion of warriors, I would go to the bars on Sunday with empty beer bottles with one new fight song...

WARRIORS- COME OUT AND PLAAAYYYEYA

Joe, Who is this we that would make more money ?

I have never made a dime from being a Redskins fan.

The players offended thing is complete BS.

We collectively as people with common sense (most of us) know that.

I know if I was offended...I wouldn't play for the team. If these chumps had any ounce of integrity, they would have protested instead of signing up. It's a garbage point to be made. If I was offended by it and still signed up...no room to talk as an enabler.

What really bothers me though is that they use this name to focus their resources, and not do an ad to discuss the sad state of affairs on reservations across America.

Joe, Who is this we that would make more money ?

I have never made a dime from being a Redskins fan.

I meant the team, not us the fan. Sorry I wasnt clear.

The players offended thing is complete BS.

We collectively as people with common sense (most of us) know that.

I know if I was offended...I wouldn't play for the team. If these chumps had any ounce of integrity, they would have protested instead of signing up. It's a garbage point to be made. If I was offended by it and still signed up...no room to talk as an enabler.

we have NBA players who played for an owner that everyone knew was racist. Bobby Mitchell played under George Preston Marshall. Miss me with that.

Just change the name. This fight is going to look bad 20 years from now when the name is actually changed.

What really bothers me though is that they use this name to focus their resources, and not do an ad to discuss the sad state of affairs on reservations across America.

So would you deem that as ignorant or/and irresponsible ?  I would.

Although I have never liked the song 'This land is your land'. You know the rest. The fact that the US stole land while trying to kill off a population of people and then bailed on contracts is a big deal (rather disgusting).

That part is serious, the name change crap is absurd and reaching at best.

So would you deem that as ignorant or/and irresponsible ?  I would.

Although I have never liked the song 'This land is your land'. You know the rest. The fact that the US stole land while trying to kill off a population of people and then bailed on contracts is a big deal (rather disgusting).

That part is serious, the name change crap is absurd and reaching at best.

but you have to believe those kind of go hand and hand. WE can run around with this name for years and flaunt it and large groups of them get upset over the name but have no power to change it?

Im just tired of this conversation. We should move onward and start looking good as an organization.

I have. I won some bets. But I have lost some bets and spent money on them too... So I am in the red. (No pun intended)

I don't bet on my favorite teams.

Winning plenty from San Antonio in this Finals however. Don't tell Sinister. 3 of 4 bets. I'll take it.

Archived