Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I for one hate the idea of anything other than the name Washington Redskins. With that being said I don't think Snyder is going to have a choice other than change the name.

I for one would be okay with the Washington Warriors. As long as we can keep the uniforms the same. Either way I think the name is going to be changed.

Yes, I would hate changing the name.

But then, lots of things change, that I don't like. I'm sad that we've retired the Iowa class battleships. That we don't have a space program, any more. That there's no new Star Trek.

And, I think the fight over the name has been lost.

I think that every single argument that's been made, trying to say that the name is offensive, is a downright insulting argument. To me, it's moronic that people actually make such arguments.

However, I suspect (although, granted, none of us KNOW) that advertising has worked. People now THINK that the name is offensive.

And, when the subject is people's feelings, emotion is reality.

If people feel offended, then it's offensive. Whether it SHOULD be, or not.

And I think that, when we start to see actual Native groups, through their actual, designated leaders, (as opposed to the political activists we've been seeing), speaking out against the name, then I think their opinions need to be respected.

STaylormade,

You have to understand that everything you're saying had been debated and beaten to death for years here. Most here know the issue forwards, backwards and upside down.

If you think the name is a slur, by all means, move on.

But the issue just isn't that simple.

For years I thought they could have gotten in front of the issue.

I would separate the imagery issue from the name issue.

Keep the imagery but change the name to reflect the positive intent of organization towards native americans.

Done and done.

I don't understand the notion that fans would stop supporting the team if the name was changed.

I know I wouldn't.

I wouldn't stop cheering for the team

I'd never buy another officially branded item from them, or the nfl, again.

If they remove the name then they have little standing I imagine to maintain a copyright on it. Which would give rise to counterfeiting. I'll not give a single dime for anything branded with a sign of gutless cowards as and sniveling acquiescence to ridiculous faux outrage. The only way I buy a single item branded with a new name is if it's forced upon the team via legislation or the nfl.

I care about homeless people....

....so I'm going to spend a few million to run a TV ad to suggest people should stop saying someone who's disheveled looks "homeless" because it belittles the struggle of real homeless people.

Wait, what's that you say? If I actually cares about homeless people I'd spend those millions actually trying to give them shelter rather than buying some ad time to talk about something with little to no impact on the majority if homeless peoples lives? Ha, don't be silly.

Guys, I love my team but this is getting ridiculous. I know a lot of us see the name and correlate it with our history. But with that aside, we have to realize that Redskins is now a racial slur. Is it really the most important part of our team name, anyway?

I know I'm going to get some heat for this but hear me out... I think it's time for us to change the name but find a way to keep our burgundy and gold. If not the racist name, think about the distraction for the team. It will be a quick process if we can just show Danny that we're not going to jump ship just because our team name changes.

Huh?...Why would a name change threaten the team colors? lol

By the way, which players are being distracted by the name issue? And I doubt Snyder fears the fans jumping ship if he changes the name. That's not why he's not changing it.

I'm often floored by how little people think this issue through.

For years I thought they could have gotten in front of the issue.

I would separate the imagery issue from the name issue.

Keep the imagery but change the name to reflect the positive intent of organization towards native americans.

Done and done.

You get a like.

Washington Warriors or any other alliteration is lame. Like Wizards lame.

Yup and if they give in I'll start halfway following the Warriors like I do the Wizards (Used to be a huge fan before the stupid name came). It just won't feel the same and my fandom would be retired along with the name.

Extremewarriors *pukes*

This is a painting representing how the Pawnee natives painted themselves before going to war  As you can see the color is RED!!!!!  The Pawnee's were not the only tribe to do this, but several tribes painted themselves in red war paint before battle.  It looked very intimidating to who they would be going to war with.  Plain and simple the red war paint looks bad ass.  This war paint influenced the team name of our beloved redskins!  Educate the ignorant.  Hail to the REDSKINS.

2010-PAWNEE-WAR-PAINT-PAWNEE-OIL-ON-BOAR

Just Washington... Same logo and everything. No official nickname. People who still want to call them the Redskins can do so. People who don't, don't have to. People who want to sing the words when they play the fight song can sing. People who don't want to dont have to.

You know what? I could live with this it would be a throwback to the early NFL we could be "the Washington D.C. football club" it would never happen but this is the only acceptable resolution outside of keeping Redskins.

Is there any red face paint apparent on the logo? No? Well that argument was fun.

It is about were the name is derived from, the history of the name, and its original meaning.  The war paint influenced the name redskins.  That is a fact.  You must be one of those people who don't like facts. Well that was fun!

Marshall was a flat out racist. 

The great players, great owners, coaches and traditions since him will not be tainted by a name change because they were not the racist that Marshall was. This is not going away. It will become more and more of a distraction. It is becoming a nation issue. I am a life long fan but believe they should change the name.

Wasn't denying he was a racist, my point was how his contributions to the game have been overlooked despite him being vital to the success of the league. He IS the owner that gets scapegoated when all the rest of them had their hands dirty as well. 

And yes, with the way the local media is allowed to operate, using punchline after punchline against the team, the name change will never go away if it happens. It will always be a convenient punchline for them and the team's legacy will always have that caveat with it of racism and many non-team fans will dismiss past accomplishments and just focus on the perceived racism of the team. 

And you can bet division opponent fans and any other fans wanting to trash the team will bring it up right away.

This isn't really becoming a national issue. Few others on other team message boards and other football sites are even talking about it. Football fans don't care. They shouldn't change the name until it is proven the majority want it changed. So far, that's not the case. All noise, little substance. Don't be fooled.

Seriously think about this.....  Have you ever seen someone with red skin, who wasn't sun burnt?  The native americans that I see have a darker toned skin, tan or brown.  If the issue is truly about skin color then the Browns are as guilty as it gets, not the redskins!

Seriously think about this..... Have you ever seen someone with red skin, who wasn't sun burnt? The native americans that I see have a darker toned skin, tan or brown. If the issue is truly about skin color then the Browns are as guilty as it gets, not the redskins!

You're joking right? You cannot really be that ignorant in regards to US history and the native Americans.

Terms like "red man" have been used to describe them for centuries. You can't just ignore that

Archived