Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Yeah, change is coming. It makes me sick to think about, but the media has chosen a target, and they will not rest until they can pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other for protecting another oppressed group. Wise will go on a victory tour and refuse to write anything sports related again.

What is funny, is ask him where his outrage is when 35,000 Braves fans were on national TV doing the tomahawk chop for 2 playoff games? Or when the Indians hosted a playoff game with fans in full headdress beating a drum?  Or Rob Riggle doing a bit from Arrowhead with a fan in full headdress?  present him with facts, he will completely ignore you.  Argue a counter point and he will scream his go-to hit and run response of "Washington N words -- you RACIST".  

For some reason, the Redskins are the only name of native heritage that is offensive. Can't imagine how that 

The way we shove it back in their face is starting a donation collection on behalf of E.S for the native american college fund. That way they're exposed for being self serving hypocrites who care about publicity, and not the people they are claiming to be looking out for.

I've said a few times in here that's what Snyder should do. Set up a charity for Native Americans. Will certainly earn him some kudos and will draw attention away from the name.

There was an article someone posted in here awhile back basically saying that Native Americans were more concerned with poverty, hunger, and their land being taken away. Not the name of a football team. So Snyder should give back to those people.

I think this all a bunch of people, who are not even of Native American decent, trying to tell another group of people how they should feel. There was a great article on ESPN a little while ago talking about this fact.

Everyone wants to throw a theory about where the name comes from and honestly does it even matter? I feel like you should have to think about the name in the context of how it's used. I am not of Native American heritage; however, I see it as a sense of pride. I'm proud to be a part of Redskins nation. I get goosebumps everytime I see the name or logo because it has such a rich sense of history and really it represents a family. This organization has runs various charities and is very active in the community. Can those in various positions opposing the name say the same? I doubt it. In no way, shape, or form does this organization represent anything other than something we are all proud of.

I would HATE to see a name change because of what this organizations impact on this region and what it means to me. Peter King, UnWise Mike, Tony Dungy, or whoever else wants to throw their two cents in because they think "it's the right think to do" can cram it.

I've said a few times in here that's what Snyder should do. Set up a charity for Native Americans. Will certainly earn him some kudos and will draw attention away from the name.

There was an article someone posted in here awhile back basically saying that Native Americans were more concerned with poverty, hunger, and their land being taken away. Not the name of a football team. So Snyder should give back to those people.

Earn him some kudos, make people like UnWise Mike look like the self serving cowards that they are and he'd actually be helping people. If I was of Native American descent the thing that would offend me to my core is people exploiting my plight to serve their own purpose while taking attention away from the real problems my people faced. Like I said, evil people.

This is one of those things that you just understand or you don't.  Difficult to explain.  I'm not personally on the "i'll stop being a fan" ship, but I can understand how some might be.  This is extremely important.  Football may be just a sport to some, and Redskins might just be a name, but when you associate certain memories/experiences with not only the franchise, but the name as well, it is an incredibly tough pill to swallow.  Especially in light of the current debate.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around why you would stop doing something you enjoy because a piece of the franchise changes. I associate my great memories of my childhood with the Joe Gibbs as the coach, but I still cheer for the team now that Gibbs is gone. I still cheer for them even though they changed from wearing white jerseys at home (something else that I associated with those great memories). I would still cheer for them if they updated their uniforms entirely. I would still cheer for them if they are named something else.

I appreciate you guys trying to explain it but I'm still hoping someone who actually will stop being a fan would try to articulate the thought process to me.

I have no issue with those who want to change it.  However, I DO have a HUGE issue with the incredibly irresponsible sports media and journalism conglomerate misrepresenting the opinions of many Native Americans who find pride in the name and who are not offended.  Ignoring the Native American high schools that use the name proudly among other institutions...Inaccurately stating that the term came from an order by King George or that it refers to the natural pigmentation of the American Indian.

I do agree with one opinion I heard from a full-blooded Native American.  She said she is proud of the term Redskins but is offended by those in their makeups and headdresses because in their culture you earn certain types/parts of headdresses.  That is a completely fair point and something that should be talked about more.

There's a little part of me that wants to find out the sponsors for the Post or for the Junkies and others who give a voice to these idiots who refuse to say the name or advocate for it's change and begin a website urging people to call/write their sponsors and voice their displeasure and state they'll boycott if they keep giving voice to these people. About the only way to combat this crap is to use their own type of tactics back against them.

I don't understand the rebranding of the "R" in a lot of those logos. If we were to choose Renegades or anything else beginning with R, I think you do that so that you can keep the script R or the old Lombardi R helmet. Otherwise, you should stay with the Native American theme.

How cool would the script R look on a helmet?

Always wanted to see that happen regardless of the name change garbage.

That's BS. I can't stand it, and find it obnoxious that these few people are stirring this pot without any real knowledge about the meaning of the word.

Just so it is clear, I think there are plenty of people with "real knowledge" about the historical meaning of the word Redskin and the history of the team and so on that are troubled by the issue.  I'm one of them.  

It's more lawyers, political activists and journalist trying to line their pocket and get their name out there. They wouldn't give the fumes out of their SUV to actually help N.A and while they're spending money on campaigns for this nonsense the real problems Native Americans face are receiving no aid or attention. Horrible, evil human beings.

FYI - demonizing people who disagree with you on this isn't making your argument any more compelling.   Thinking that the use of the word "Redskin" may have passed its due date in the 21st Century doesn't make you horrible or evil.  

If this whole thing has reminded me of one thing it's this: if you whine and complain loud enough and long enough, you'll always get your way. The name change is coming, folks. They will not let this go until it does. 

This isn't even close to the controversy surrounding the team's segregationist policies in the '60s. That had to do with denying people employment due to their race. That was abhorrent and, thankfully, now it's illegal. Real advocates of progress stood up to the organization and made the team integrate.

This is a controversy that doesn't seem to be controversial to the people who are supposed to find it controversial. As I've said many, many times before: if it came to light that a large chunk of the Native American community was offended by the name, I'd be all for a change. Nothing, though...NOTHING has come to light saying that.

Still, enough people are ranting and raving about it that it's inevitable. Every "social justice crusader" from sea to shining sea is going to pat themselves on the back after it happens and will go back to not giving two ****s about the conditions under which Native Americans live in many reservations. 

It is so refreshing to see how many fans and others who care so much, that they feel compelled to tell the majority of the Native Americans how they should feel and what they should be offended by.

Ya know what, I think you should tell them where its safe for them to live as well...oh wait......

It is so refreshing to see how many fans and others who care so much, that they feel compelled to tell the majority of the Native Americans how they should feel and what they should be offended by. Ya know what, I think you should tell them where its safe for them to live as well...oh wait......

I totally agree with this statement. Even the argument that "most" native Americans aren't offended is a weak argument. Obviously quite a few are offended.

I totally agree with this statement. Even the argument that "most" native Americans aren't offended is a weak argument. Obviously quite a few are offended.

compared to the entire Native American population, how do you define quite a few? I would hardly say the Oneida tribe being quite a few ;)

compared to the entire Native American population, how do you define quite a few? I would hardly say the Oneida tribe being quite a few ;)

From what I've seen, there's more than just them offended. Let me ask, how do you define most? Has every single native American taken.part in these polls?

From what I've seen, there's more than just them offended. Let me ask, how do you define most? Has every single native American taken.part in these polls?

ok...the more then just the Native Americans offended...well, their argument is basically it is offensive to a certain group. That certain group has been polled and polled time and time again, and there are a slew of schools where the majority of population is that same group. None of them are offended by this name.

So are they offended by the name...the same name that the group it refers too don't care about, and in fact I have read that some view it as a name of pride? Or is that group offended because they feel it is the right thing to do to make up for what has happened in the past?

Guess what, from what I understand, in the past a certain tribe called themselves that name, and in the past it was prideful to them. Guess what, it was the "white man" who gave that term an "evil" meaning. Well...now, it is the "white man" who is trying to reclaim that name to mean pride, honor, and history.

Quite honestly, its their word, if the majority of them are offended by it, then fine, maybe its time to change the name. But, if they are not offended by it, then groups that it does not even represent have no right to be offended for them.

And FYI...Yankee...is a slang and derogatory name for Americans. Are you offended by the baseball team? If a small percentage of people went to their congressman about it or held a press conference for it, do you think it would get ANY attention?

I was talking about other native American leaders that have appeared on ESPN and CNN that I've seen.

I haven't seen any of them, and don't know what tribes they are. They could all be from the same tribe for all I know. Most tribes do have more then 1 leader. But from the information that I have seen, is that the majority of Native Americans do not care, and when I say a majority, I am talking about over 80% of people polled.

Archived