Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I totally agree with this statement. Even the argument that "most" native Americans aren't offended is a weak argument. Obviously quite a few are offended.

Tell the Wellpinit High School Redskins of the American Indian reservation in Spokane, Washington to change their name also.  Only fair.

I still don't understand why Wise, Florio, King, and the liberal blowhards are solely focused on attacking our team about the Native American imagery and not the others. We don't do that Tomahawk Chop chant like the Braves, Chiefs, and Seminoles, we don't use a cartoonish logo like the Braves (screaming savage) and the Indians.

What am I missing? Is it because the Skins are the 3rd valuable franchise in the NFL? Is it because of the superstar QB?

Wise is taunting Skins fans on Twitter, god I wish someone would fire that ass.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around why you would stop doing something you enjoy because a piece of the franchise changes. I associate my great memories of my childhood with the Joe Gibbs as the coach, but I still cheer for the team now that Gibbs is gone. I still cheer for them even though they changed from wearing white jerseys at home (something else that I associated with those great memories). I would still cheer for them if they updated their uniforms entirely. I would still cheer for them if they are named something else.

I appreciate you guys trying to explain it but I'm still hoping someone who actually will stop being a fan would try to articulate the thought process to me.

I think that the common denominator in all of this is the City and Mascot.  Washington Redskins is the glue that hold all of those things together that you alluded to.  Sammy Baugh to RGIII, that name is the only common thread.  The owner has changed (most hate him, but love the team), players come and go, coaches come and go (far to often), stadium has changed once in my lifetime and likely will again.  So you really learn to root for the name, regardless of who is filling the uniforms, where they play, who's coaching, etc. 

Beyond that, the band, the logo, and the fight song are integral parts of the franchise, and that would all likely be gone with the name "redskins."  The ultimate result would be unrecognizable, and a reminder of what has become a concerted effort by "outsiders" to interfere in something that many in this region hold dear to their hearts.   

Tell the Wellpinit High School Redskins of the American Indian reservation in Spokane, Washington to change their name also.  Only fair.

Some schools have changed their names. But that's apples and oranges. One's a high school and the other is a billion dollar plus corporation. And that argument works in the Washington Redskins favor as well as they have a lot of money tied up in that name as opposed to a high school, so it's a whole lot easier for a high school to change their name.

Some schools have changed their names. But that's apples and oranges. One's a high school and the other is a billion dollar plus corporation. And that argument works in the Washington Redskins favor as well as they have a lot of money tied up in that name as opposed to a high school, so it's a whole lot easier for a high school to change their name.

So what is the criteria on how many people have to be offended by something for it to be changed or removed? 

So, when the name change comes, does that mean we can also kiss the band goodbye as well? 

I get the impression ownership has already been working on that in recent years. HTTR is now played by a DJ. The band was moved up to the quieter club level. Their dark unis camo into the background of the standing decks so patrons have to look hard to find the brass. The band only gets to jam a few times per game nowadays.

The band should be a paid position, with three times the membership of our current volunteer roster. Any rebranding should involve restoring the pride of our band. Right now the Ravens have a better band and it kills me to see it. Our corp deserves way better considering the time they put in for us on non gamedays. 

To keep this post somewhat on topic to the thread, I noticed at the Detroit game that our band has dropped all of their Native imagery (from what I could see). Not sure when or how it was decided, but the big feather headdresses are definitely gone.

So, when the name change comes, does that mean we can also kiss "Hail to the Redskins" and the band goodbye as well? 

Yes because the song has the naughty word.

Funny how the media won't publish stories like this:

"...Neither does Eunice Davidson, a Dakota Sioux who lives on the Spirit Lake reservation in North Dakota. "It more or less shows that they approve of our history," she said.

North Dakota was the scene of a similar controversy over the state university's Fighting Sioux nickname. It was decisively scrapped in a 2012 statewide vote — after the Spirit Lake reservation voted in 2010 to keep it."

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/No-consensus-among-Indians-on-Redskins-name-4878255.php#page-2

Any chance they fire Wise if we boycott the post. The guy is such a joke. He is such a jerk to Redskins fans on twitter. Pretty such all he reports is the name change now. Nobody reads the garbage he puts out anyway. I think he lost all credibility with his fake sources for the Roethlisberger suspension story.

When the name change occurs in the next decade; just let the fans pick the new name.   The drumbeat will grow until the name has been changed.    Dan won't change anything until it becomes financially viable for him.    The way they will get the name change is go after the NFL where it hurts and the NFL would then demand the name change.  The owner won't care; they've already screwed Dan once and wouldn't mind seeing him get stuck again.

When the name change occurs in the next decade; just let the fans pick the new name.   The drumbeat will grow until the name has been changed.    Dan won't change anything until it becomes financially viable for him.    The way they will get the name change is go after the NFL where it hurts and the NFL would then demand the name change.  The owner won't care; they've already screwed Dan once and wouldn't mind seeing him get stuck again.

Let's just hope it isn't the equivalent of Wizards.

The point is, it won't become financially viable. There are roughly 90,000 fans who pack FedEx wearing REDSKINS stuff. There are tons more of us who are loyal and devoted to our team, our town, and our tradition.  We buy stuff too...ask my husband, lots of it!  My parents are in NoVA, and right now my mom is on the hunt for a Redskins toaster cover for me, :lol: 

There is absolutely NO legal precedent that I have found for changing the name. It cannot be forced upon Dan, and God love him, he was always a REDSKINS fan, and though I don't always agree with him, I believed him when he said NEVER.

I still don't understand why Wise, Florio, King, and the liberal blowhards are solely focused on attacking our team about the Native American imagery and not the others. We don't do that Tomahawk Chop chant like the Braves, Chiefs, and Seminoles, we don't use a cartoonish logo like the Braves (screaming savage) and the Indians.

What am I missing? Is it because the Skins are the 3rd valuable franchise in the NFL? Is it because of the superstar QB?

It's because of the word "Redskin."   That particular word is iffy.   It's not the Native American imagery in general. 

Beyond that, the band, the logo, and the fight song are integral parts of the franchise, and that would all likely be gone with the name "redskins."  .   

I really do not think that this is accurate.

Hell, we already changed the words of the song once.  Somehow, no one died from a loss of that tradition.

Goodell, was just asked about the name and Obama's comments:

He said the Redskins have used the name in a positive way and not in derogatory way, by the team and it's fans, and that reasonable people can view the name differently.

Edit: Reporter quotes poll saying four out of five do not want or think the name should change. Reporter asked " what do you say to those fans ? "  Goodell gives a confused look ( understandable, I guess the reporter was implying if the name were changed ), and says " Well that's what I ( or we ) have been pointing to ( or emphasizing ), and that's that reasonable people can view it differently." " We want to make sure we're listening and doing what's right."

Funny how the media won't publish stories like this:

Finds new story in media, tells us how the media won't report it.   I don't get it.

Interesting because some of the antagonists claim the imagery is just as offensive as the name.

Yes, a few.  But in reality, the controvery has gained life and focused on us because of the word Redskin, which dictionaries and many people view as a perjorative against Native Americans.   If we were the "Washington Native Americans" with the same logo and colors and band, there really would be no controversy.

There is absolutely NO legal precedent that I have found for changing the name. It cannot be forced upon Dan, and God love him, he was always a REDSKINS fan, and though I don't always agree with him, I believed him when he said NEVER.

No one is talkng about legal precedent.  This is about public relations.

Let's just hope it isn't the equivalent of Wizards.

Ok that would suck.   But that abomination was Abe Pollin's fault, no one else's.

Goodell, was just asked about the name and Obama's comments:

He said the Redskins have used the name in a positive way and not in derogatory way by the team and it's fans, and that reasonable people can view the name differently.

I agree with him.

For me, if I am Dan Snyder and I am forced to change the name of MY team...I go in a completely different direction.  I strike every single ounce of "Native American" imagery out of my team, and name them the Washington Warriors with an Armed Forces theme.  Maybe burgundy and gold done in a camo kind of way, but absolutely NOTHING that could be construed as Native American.  

Call it spite, but it is what it is.  No way I could still have a Native American mascot under those circumstances.

It's because of the word "Redskin."   That particular word is iffy.   It's not the Native American imagery in general. 

I really do not think that this is accurate.

Hell, we already changed the words of the song once.  Somehow, no one died from a loss of that tradition.

No, Redskins is merely a starting point as it is viewed by them as the "most offensive" and potentially easiest to take down. Even Wise on twitter has said Redskins is a starting point. Oneida and Harjo and others have frequently said their goal is to remove all Native American themes from sports, and Wise on twitter has previously said he'll stick with them on that. None of the loons have mentioned Buffalo Bills of course. If Redskins gets changed then it won't be long after when Braves, Chiefs, and others have to change too, or at least go the Florida Seminole route where they get approval from a local tribe and then pay them annually. 

For some reason, the Redskins are the only name of native heritage that is offensive. Can't imagine how that

I've never been under the impression that the redskins are the only one considered offensive. The Indians and their mascot have been protested for a long time and the media hasn't ignored it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/indians-fans-red-face-chief-wahoo_n_4036326.html

Archived