Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Is it me or now that we're backing to totally sucking, this doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

No, it has definitely quieted. Partly, because, we suck. I also think people are just getting tired of hearing about it. Plus we get treated to a "new" Jason Reid article coming out about Robert Griffin every other day.

There is a new level of apathy in general by Redskins fans--that probably has the most to do with it. The media brigade behind this isn't getting the response they want.

Is it me or now that we're backing to totally sucking, this doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Well, if you think about it if you want to protest against racism and you have the Redskins' name on one hand and a series of unarmed black children and civilians being killed on the other...

The people hankering for civil justice just found a more immediate and important cause.

You posted that the issue really isn't up to you, or any other non-NAs for that matter. Therefore, in this forum it's really only up to me, Kosher and Larry; any other NAs please put your hands up to continue because Planter has excluded everyone else. Planter, you may see yourself out.

What's the requirement for being an NA?

I ask because I have NA blood but am unsure if I qualify due to to many facts; including but not limited to the communities i grew up in and the % of me that is NA.

I ask because I have NA blood but am unsure if I qualify due to to many facts; including but not limited to the communities i grew up in and the % of me that is NA.

Well, "being NA", I'm not really aware that anybody has an exclusive on the ability to define that term. 

Now, being a member of a tribe?  Each tribe gets to set their own rules.  (I think that's called "sovereignty") 

Me, I'm a member of Citizen Pottawatomie Nation.  And they've actually changed their rules, over the years. 

When I was born, the rule was you had to be able to demonstrate ancestry showing you were 1/8 Native.  Myself, and one of my brothers, qualified, and were signed up, at birth, by my parents.  (At the urging of Grandma.) 

But, in between the birth of Child #2 and Child #3, the tribe changed the rules, requiring 1/4 ancestry.  My youngest brother wasn't allowed to join, when he was born. 

A while back, they changed their rules again.  Now, they simply require you to demonstrate any Native ancestry. 

I agree with Larry, it all depends on your tribal affiliation and their rules for membership. Each tribe may have different criteria.

Check out this link:

"How do I get Tribal Affiliation?"   https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100124184707AA3lBdm

It does require some research on your part to find a direct relative that was enrolled in a recognized tribal nation.

Live opposition today over retiring the Redskins at Capitol Hill HS in OKC. The CHHS Redskins are older than our Redskins by a decade.

http://www.koco.com/news/capitol-hill-high-school-students-protest-mascot-change/30154764

heres an article thats a little more in depth on this school.

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-high-school-students-protest--red-skins--name-change-181729922.html

Cedric Sunray, a teacher at Oklahoma Centennial Mid-High School, called on the board to oppose the mascot after a former Capitol Hill student spoke out against it, The Oklahoman reported.

if this is true- that one teacher objected, because one student protested, i can see that being a problem.

That student told Centennial’s American Indian Organization, which represents 32 students and 15 tribes, that he did not like “imagery” of the mascot at the school, according to the paper...

thats odd, if by imagery, they are referring to the depiction of the native american and not the name. could be referring to both.

It means more than that. It means pride,” freshman Jada Adams said. “We’re proud of our red skin instead of what it used to mean because we give our words different meanings all the time.”

shes a freshman, and yet seems to understand language and context. good for her. 

The district’s Native American Student Services Department will provide the community and student body with additional information on the history of the controversial term, according to the statement.

interested to know if they are teaching their version of history, like harjo, blackhorse, and every protestor who holds up a 'redskins=scalps' sign, or actual  history. 

was wondering about the ethic makeup of the school. 5% american indian (the term always sounds wrong to me, salistala, what say you about this?), 65% hispanic, 84% total minority enrollment

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/oklahoma/districts/oklahoma-city-public-schools/capitol-hill-high-school-16155/student-body

A recurring theme in this entire argument has been that ONE person being offended is enough to force change for everyone.

There really is nothing more ****ed up than this notion.

And if it's not, well hell, i can't WAIT for what offends me to be changed.

Let's get on it. Otherwise the entire country is racist and hateful.

~Bang

A recurring theme in this entire argument has been that ONE person being offended is enough to force change for everyone.

A. That's not the theme. And even if it was, the number is probably larger than one - even though you seem to think that everyone is lying about this all the time.

B. That does lead to an interesting argument - what is critical mass on something like this? And who gets to decide?

C. And that leads to a larger question, I suppose, which is What is the point of using a word that causes this much debate in the first place? What - exactly - are the Redskins and all the teams using NA names and imagery trying to prove at this point?

The recurring theme on the other side of the debate seems to be "We are honoring you jags. Why do you not feel honored?

And that leads to an interesting argument. Can you honor someone who doesn't want the honor?

Also, the dude who has hijacked this thread seems like a Poe to me so I'm just not engaging.

Everyone else can obviously do what they please.

Also, I don't believe anyone here as any NA blood. I want vials in the mail by Christmas.

A. That's not the theme.

"a" recurring theme, not "the" recurring theme.

i have heard people say 'if ONE person is offended, it should be changed', and, like bang said, thats ridiculous.

the article above appears to indicate that one former student spoke out against it, a teacher heard about this, then the board voted to change it.

A. That's not the theme. And even if it was, the number is probably larger than one - even though you seem to think that everyone is lying about this all the time.

Maybe you ought to tell this to Roger Goodell,  who said it.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/11/roger-goodell-on-redskins-name-if-one-person-is-offended-we-have-to-listen/

Amanda Blackhorse also said it,,  unfortunately, i don't have the tape of her on channel 9 on the steps of the courthouse in VA when she filed her trademark vacating suit.

I don't think people are lying. 

I think a small number of people are trying to force their way, and they prove it by claiming everyone, especially their 'own people' who disagree are simply ignorant and uneducated.

From this post 

http://supportthename.info/posts/1410505/blackhorse_becomes_flustered_when_cause_questioned_during_9_person_protest.html

"“Well, what do you say to the 90 or more percent of Native Americans who support names like Chiefs and Redskins?” I asked.

“They just are not educated,” she said. She then went on to attack the statistic from an Associated Press poll but with no real evidence. By this time she was getting angry.

I then asked, what about Red Mesa High School, who has a Native student body and administration, who share and overwhelmingly support the name Redskins; what about the Tuba City High School Warriors, Shiprock Chieftains, St. John’s Redskins, Sanders Middle School Braves—are all these students and administrations racist?

Blackhorse reiterated that they were ignorant and uneducated" 

She attacks every single study, poll and shred of evidence that shows what a severe minority she's in even among her own. She absolutely believes what she says. Everyone is stupid but her and her small group of followers. She's offended, so everyone change.

It must be awesome to know it all. 

2661305-3139548713-tumbl.gif

~Bang

As a NA, am I supposed to be offended, or are non-NA people stating that I am wrong for not being offended ?

What is more offensive... Non-NA people trying to tell me I should be offended irritates me most. Certainly more than the name of a football team that most people would recognize as such.

5% american indian (the term always sounds wrong to me, salistala, what say you about this?)

In my lifetime, in Canada.

Indian, Indigenous, Aboriginal, First Nations.

Each is a compromise to try to encompass 600+ FNs in Canada. I've never been comfortable with these awkward umbrella terms, maybe the most apt (based on an already existing format) is North American. That is problematic though in that it precludes everyone else that emigrated here in the last 500 years.

The one that feels most accurate, based on geography and our existence pre-Contact, is the American term Native American.

As a NA, am I supposed to be offended, or are non-NA people stating that I am wrong for not being offended ?

What is more offensive... Non-NA people trying to tell me I should be offended irritates me most. Certainly more than the name of a football team that most people would recognize as such.

Kosher, I know you've stated your NA status several times in this long thread, but can you tell us if you're currently enrolled with your nation or tribe?

Just curious bc I'm beginning to study the various policies of who, what, and where is recognized, Fed govt. vs. tribal/nation govts., etc.

Talk about personal. Jeepers.

Let's just say that the tribal leader is not exactly the voice of the Nation.

Please pardon my curiosity. I wasn't taught much about Native anything in school, aside from the clichés most American kids were fed for generations. I've been fortunate to have met a few Native people recently, and they've schooled me on some of the basics. I'm always wanting to know more.

Not sure what you mean about the tribal leader reference.

Actually, I will point out that that press release does not mention any actual locations for this massive march, at all.

Still, considering the way the season has gone, I wouldn't be surprised is the march has more people than the stadium has.

Archived