Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

18 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I'm usually out on shows like The Expanse, but i'll give it a shot after i finish Into The Badlands.

Speaking of, i love that show. I dont think i would have liked it if i had to wait week to week. Certain shows i need to be able to watch them at my own pace.

Seemed like after the series finale this past season that they're leaving the door open, maybe for another network to pick them up.

I felt like AMC was holding them back a bit $$ wise towards the end. 

I quite liked S4, but the Murtry (?) character was too much of a cliche...way over the top B movie villain.

I noticed Falling Water is now on Amazon... I wonder if they will do a season 3.  I loved Season 1, but S2 was just okay. 

Edited by Riggo-toni

I'm down 2 ep's on The Witcher so far. Not as great as I'd hoped, not as bad as I'd feared.  Fight scenes are magnificent (seriously, its unreal), so are the subtle bits of magic, and it looks believable, not last airbender-y, but sort of like matter distortion.

The pilot was slow but I thought it picked up nicely towards the end. One thing I notice is there isnt enough explanation for what's going on. It's more like "This is happening, that is happening, and look! Over there!"

But I dont find that surprising for a show like this. I imagine things will start to settle down in ep 3. They did briefly mention the conjunction of the spheres, as to how monsters and humans and elves and magic coexist,  but not much else. Not as much monster hunting or monster antagonists as I thought there would be so far, so hopefully that picks up too. 

Right now it's more focused on the Niilfgaardian hunter and soldiers looking for Ciri, along with Yennifer (not to spoil things, but her whole.... deal ki da threw me for a loop at first, though a certain feature of hers should've been a dead giveaway from the start) and her trials at what I presume is the Lodge of Sorceresses.

I'm interested, but not hooked.

/My 2 cents so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a few episodes into The Witcher and it has some glaring flaws.  Bad lighting.  Costume design failed to match the script in one scene, which is so sloppy that it stood out.  The look and the writing seem to be at odds with each other, the story is appropriately bleak, but the visuals are bright and cheerful.  Soundtrack is weird, and the lute strumming bard at times sounds like a rock star. 

My biggest complaint however is that they’re rushing the storyline and it makes it hard to follow or care about anything that’s happening.  Pretty sure I watched a Gerlat fall in love, only to have it end in tragedy, in a 30 minute span.  I’m not sure I’d really understand it at all if I hadn’t read the books they’re based on.  

That said I’m enjoying it because they got enough right and I’m a fan of the source material.  The fight scenes featuring Geralt are excellent.  I’m hoping it improves on its weaknesses as shows often do beyond their very beginning.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

and the lute strumming bard at times sounds like a rock star.

Bruh that might be my biggest problem so far LOL. Supposed to be a classic bard and sounds like a Jonas brother. It would be awesome were this some intentional parody like Princess Bride.

One of the things I think is obvious right off the bat, is that for this kind of show, beyond the launch season, the Netflix special of under 10 ep's wont work for this. There needs to be better pacing and more opportunities for expansive dialogue, and exquisite, suped up  monster of the week style hunts.

16 ep's at least. Netflix may not have the budget for this show to afford that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So The Witcher is really good. But the problem is in the structuring of the episodes. At first it seemed a tale where everything is moving forward in one direction to an eventual tipping point, but in reality, the tipping point is the first 10 or so minutes of the pilot, and the next 6 ep's are several individual, nearly standalone tales that show the strange connections between all the characters, until everything converges in the finale.

But its explained in a nose bleeding hodgepodge of flashbacks and flashforwards and flash-in-betweens, with little to no explanation of who some characters are.

I think if they can clean stuff like that up for season 2, they will have something special. The acting is well done, but its stuff like the setting/lighting, and plot course that needs work. That much crossing up was a bad idea for the first season. And I still stand by the fact that this cannot be 8 episodes. It's not that kind of show.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So The Witcher is really good. But the problem is in the structuring of the episodes. At first it seemed a tale where everything is moving forward in one direction to an eventual tipping point, but in reality, the tipping point is the first 10 or so minutes of the pilot, and the next 6 ep's are several individual, nearly standalone tales that show the strange connections between all the characters, until everything converges in the finale.

But its explained in a nose bleeding hodgepodge of flashbacks and flashforwards and flash-in-betweens, with little to no explanation of who some characters are.

I think if they can clean stuff like that up for season 2, they will have something special. The acting is well done, but its stuff like the setting/lighting, and plot course that needs work. That much crossing up was a bad idea for the first season. And I still stand by the fact that this cannot be 8 episodes. It's not that kind of show.

Yeah I noticed that too and got confused during episode 4. I haven't finished the season yet(just finished 5), but they really should have said something like "X years ago" to let us know. I was like, wait a second, didn't XYZ get XYZ'd in episode 1? (don't want to spoil)

The production value of the show is really good and the acting and dialogue are fantastic. I do think they did a disservice though not explaining the characters/lore a wee bit more for those who don't have a background from the books and/or games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I noticed that too and got confused during episode 4. I haven't finished the season yet(just finished 5), but they really should have said something like "X years ago" to let us know. I was like, wait a second, didn't XYZ get XYZ'd in episode 1? (don't want to spoil)

The production value of the show is really good and the acting and dialogue are fantastic. I do think they did a disservice though not explaining the characters/lore a wee bit more for those who don't have a background from the books and/or games.

I thought the finale was frankly incredible.  The seen with the XYZs (not gonna spoil it for you or anyone else), something I'd been waiting for. was hair raising. You could feel the foreshadowing in the air when Geralt (who Cavill did a MASTERFUL job of playing) said "Well it's not x, its, not y, I think you'd better run"

This show has massive potential. Think it may have thrown in with the wrong network though. Needs 16-20 ep's for motw and monster antagonists. 

Was talking to a guy at the airport a few days ago who mentioned that the Marvelflix shows ran at least 16, but I reminded him that they had some kind of deal with the state of NY that let them film at a lower cost, and those shows were very low budget.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I've watched all of Season 2 of "Lost in Space" when I wasn't out at Universal yesterday and "The Polar Express" Ice Sculpture Exhibit at the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee today.

A good season.  Will is still a little annoying at times and Dr. Smith is still devious but she showed some heart this season.

Spoiler

My one gripe, the original show; it was just the Robinson's who were lost in space.  This show, at least for this season; it's sort of entire colony that's Lost in Space.  

I do hope there's a Season 3, especially with how Season 2 ended.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

I liked the show and I agree they need to clean some stuff up for season 2 in how they tell the story. 

They should also abandon this nonsense idea of Yennifer as a fragile sympathetic figure.  Yennifer is supposed to be an impressively awful manipulative person, not a girl wrestling with demons.  

• Like 2

I loved The Witcher just finished it yesterday. I don't really get the complaints about the timelines. I noticed it in the first episode that Mousesack tells Ciri they used to lock little girls up in towers which is what Streygobar the wizard told Geralt earlier in the episode that he had done that previously to girls born on the eclipse. Then Renfri talks to Geralt about Queen Calanthe winning her first battle and later we see the Ciri talk to the Queen about how she was Ciri's age when she won her first battle. So I actually really enjoyed the differences in the timelines and waiting to see them converge. We spent a lot of time getting to know Geralt and Yennefer over the course of decades before they all come together in the same timeline. 

I guess the biggest complaint is that Ciri didn't have much to do. Her scenes were definitely the worst part of the season but I was still engaged by the mystery surrounding her power. I'd also have liked some more info on Cahir and Flingilla and why she is doing all this. Is it revenge on Yennefer for stealing her seat at court or is she a real believer like Cahir? What does she have to gain by this? It should be a lot more straightforward next season now that they have all converged. 

49 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I'm going by my very suspect memory, but the first season seemed to be mostly the short stories which are somewhat disjointed and not at all in a timeline.  Optimistically, I'm hoping that later seasons do away with that as they start to follow the main books.

The first couple of books are short stories introducing Geralt and then once Ciri comes into the picture she becomes a big part of the focus of the narrative. The writers said they brought her into this a lot earlier than they could have because they didn't want 1-2 seasons of just Geralt and his adventures with Yennefer thrown in and then you get this complete transition of focus as Ciri is introduced and becomes so much more important

11 hours ago, Destino said:

They should also abandon this nonsense idea of Yennifer as a fragile sympathetic figure.  Yennifer is supposed to be an impressively awful manipulative person, not a girl wrestling with demons.  

I think they did that with her origin in season 1 culminating in her unleashing her chaos and letting go. Tiassa also may have made an impact on her in that she still has reason to live, not through what she can take from the world but in what she can give to it. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1