Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

13 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If you like Doctor Who, Series 10 starts April 15 and will be the last with the current Doctor. Peter Capaldi is leaving after this years X-Mas special.

I like Peter Capaldi. But not as the Doctor. Not sold on the new companion (we'll see if she is worth keeping)..but I'm sure she will be gone soon too. Jenna Coleman was so/so...but she was fun to watch. ;)

No one will ever be as good as Amy Pond (even if Rose was pretty damn good). 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I like Peter Capaldi. But not as the Doctor. Not sold on the new companion (we'll see if she is worth keeping)..but I'm sure she will be gone soon too. Jenna Coleman was so/so...but she was fun to watch. ;)

No one will ever be as good as Amy Pond (even if Rose was pretty damn good). 

Your young but the best companion was Sarah Jane played by the late Elizabeth Sladen. I just hope they don't go with another pretty boy and get the fangirls with a romance storyline.  Ben Daniels is my choice for the next Doctor.  BBC might go with a woman this time.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Your young but the best companion was Sarah Jane played by the late Elizabeth Sladen. I just hope they don't go with another pretty boy and get the fangirls with a romance storyline.  Ben Daniels is my choice for the next Doctor.  BBC might go with a woman this time.

I wouldn't label Matt Smith or David Tennant as a pretty boy. I know all about SJS..but Amy Pond was amazing. 

If they go female..I'd love to see Hayley Atwell 

On 2/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, TK said:

Both The Expanse & The 100 start back up tonight. :) 

I watched the first season of the Expanse with Amazon Prime last week.  I hadn't heard of the show or the series of books before I started watching it, I literally just started watching it based on the promo picture and tag line.  I was blown away.  It was just really exciting and refreshing to see a first rate sci-fi series again.

A couple thoughts on it:

- This is the best sci-fi show since the Battlestar Galactica remake.

- I see a lot of elements of Dan Simmons's work in the series.  I haven't read the books, but I can tell that he had a heavy influence on the two authors who wrote them.  I see Simmons in the thematic and subject content of the series.  Particularly in the neo-noir narrative style and the heavy presence of classical European literature in the series.  This is wonderful for me, because Simmons is my favorite sci-fi writer.

- I'm worried that some of the best elements of the series are going to be the very things that keep audiences away from it.  The space patois that the belters speak, for example.  I love it, but I have an ear for language and don't mind watching a show with subtitles on.  Most people are probably going to find it impenetrable and confusing.

Anyways, I love the show.  If anyone likes sci-fi and hasn't seen it yet, please watch it.  Don't let it get canceled.

Can't recall if it's been mentioned, but I really enjoyed Sherlock.  Wasn't sure I'd like it set in present day, but they did a great job.  

Off the beaten path, but I liked the Last Kingdom.  Pretty fascinating look at Britain during the raiding and settlement of the Danes and the struggle for the Saxons to hold power.  Focuses on a dude that gets captured by the Danes as a boy, raised by them, and then torn between loyalties to both groups.  Netflix took over production from BBC for the second season - hopefully releasing sometime soon.  

I liked Last Kingdom too.  It felt a little bit like off brand Vikings but it was still solid.  Some missteps in the writing, but again, it's solid.  The historical authenticity of the setting also comes and goes, but it strives to be much more authentic than Vikings.  And we're also talking about a semi-legendary period of history where literacy was low, so you can enjoy a lot of creative license when making a work from the period.

The main problem I have with the show is how it compares to Vikings.  It just doesn't have the same stylistic excellence.  But it's worth watching, particularly if you want a more Anglo-centric and historically accurate perspective of Britain during the Vikings age than Vikings offers.

• Like 1

I love the Expanse, but am I the only one who thinks that Indian woman playing the head of the UN is a rather awful actress - just seems way too wooden, like she went to the Chuck Norris School of Dramatic Acting.

Tom Hardy has to be the greatest actor of the new generation. Look at his range from ST Nemesis to The Drop to Revenant to the Krays (where he.played BOTH brothers) to Taboo. DAMN.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 6:26 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I wouldn't label Matt Smith or David Tennant as a pretty boy. I know all about SJS..but Amy Pond was amazing. 

If they go female..I'd love to see Hayley Atwell 

I met Karen Gillian, pretty funny gal. Next time she comes to a con near me, will get a PIC with her.

Of the modern companions, Donna Noble was the best. Perfect companion for the Doctor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Anybody watch the new HBO show "The Young Pope"? I've been recording in on my DVR just in case it turned out to be good, but I haven't watched it yet. Worth watching?

I've been doing the same thing & haven't watched it yet either. 

36 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I loved it man.  Corey Hawkins (Dre in Straight Outta Compton, Heath in TWD) crushed it, imo.  Just straight out awesomeness from the get go.  

Yep agreed. People complaining about no Jack  Bauer but I love the fresh faces. And Corey Hawkins is an amazing actor. Next big thing IMO.

• Like 1

I recorded the new 24 but haven't watched yet.

Does anyone watch 'This Is Us'?  My wife likes it so I've seen a few episodes, but I can't say I really like it.  Moderately enjoy, sure, but that's about it.  I did watch 'Parenthood' and I thought it was the better family drama.  NBC should have kept it going another season or so.

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep agreed. People complaining about no Jack  Bauer but I love the fresh faces. And Corey Hawkins is an amazing actor. Next big thing IMO.

Only beef I have with it is that its only 12 episodes and the original 24 was 24 1 hour episodes of what took place in one day.  

Edit:  only 12 episodes, not 13.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro