Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPo.com: Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity

Ellis

I still haven't seen a valid argument for why minimum wage should not be at least above the poverty line. $22 an hour to flip burgers is kinda crazy. But with $4 gas and continued rise in cost of living, $10 an hour ($9.80) should not be out the question, imo. In a consumer-driven economy, it just makes sense to me, really.

People flipping burgers aren't more productive. Walmart greeters aren't more productive. The cleaning help at hotels aren't more productive. People who use technology in their jobs are, but those people are usually making more money anyway.

I agree with Renegade, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see MW raised to $10. Everything is so expensive.

People flipping burgers aren't more productive. Walmart greeters aren't more productive. The cleaning help at hotels aren't more productive. People who use technology in their jobs are, but those people are usually making more money anyway.

I agree with Renegade, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see MW raised to $10. Everything is so expensive.

Even those groups that you say are more productive aren't seeing their pay raise.

fig2_prodhhincome.jpg

Across the board there has been a decoupling of productivity and wages. If you were wondering where that money goes/went

mojo-chart.png

Agreed, Predicto. She didn't. Holy crap, can't find it.

But swear, guys, she didn't.

IIRC, she said if production had kept up with wages(instead of making 1 person do the work of 5)it might've worked?

---------- Post added March-20th-2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Thank you. It makes us in the restaurant biz think you give a crap...but I guess those of us who take it seriously somehow pisss you off? Ever had really super service by a 47-year old with memories of the first subway series?

Thank you. It makes us in the restaurant biz think you give a crap...but I guess those of us who take it seriously somehow pisss you off? Ever had really super service by a 47-year old with memories of the first subway series?

So what do you think minimum wage should be? $10 is fine with me. $14 is fine with me. $22 would be too high in my opinion.

If we did raise the minimum wage to 10/hour, would you like to see the companies increase their products price or cut a few employees to make this feasible?

If we did raise the minimum wage to 10/hour, would you like to see the companies increase their products price or cut a few employees to make this feasible?

The awful thing about it that is there's a good chance that will happen even though most of the corporations don't need to do that. And there's nothing we can do about it because that's just capitalism. Capitalism isn't the problem here, greed is.

They'll have to do the former. If they could make widgets with fewer employees, they'd already be doing it.

Which doesn't mean that there won't be any downward pressure on employment. There will be. And no doubt some of "well, now that the price has gone up, that automated widget that wasn't cost justifiable, now is".

$22/hr if full time is a $44,000/yr job. There are plenty of college graduates in professional settings who are making about that much, and okay with it. And it's well above the poverty line. Min wage shouldn't be anywhere near that. I'm less interested in "productivity" (how does one measure the productivity of a fast food worker or something anyway?) or in how much the wages of the 1% have increased, than what it would be if it had simply kept up with inflation.

The poverty line in the United States in 2012 was $23,021. I don't have any problem with jobs paying a liveable wage, above the poverty line. I also look at the economy and how it's changed over my lifetime and have never once thought our problem was wealth is too concentrated in the poor.

In General when you leave the minimum wage stagnant for decades, you should expect significant adjustments like this.

It's not necessary as the taxation is so repressive at higher levels of earning that there is an effective maximum wage because no-one wants to work and take home so little of it.

That's funny. What's the maximum wage that people can make?

The effective tax rate is flat for the top 10% http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/18/us/effective-income-tax-rates.html?_r=0

see the middle column. In fact, the top 1% pay a lower effective tax rate than the top 5% and the top 10%.

So, it pays off in taxes to make more.

It's not necessary as the taxation is so repressive at higher levels of earning that there is an effective maximum wage because no-one wants to work and take home so little of it.

Looking for sarcasm tags.

Not seeing any.

Walking away, shaking head.

If people were actually paid minimum wage adjusted for inflation, there would be even more tax revenue, because minimum wage workers pay taxes on 100% of their income, less any deductions. They would be more likely to own homes, increasing the real estate tax base.

Ceding higher profits to the 1% on the backs of minimum wage labor is real wealth redistribution in action.

LOL

I thought you were just paraphrasing Phil Mickelson. Poor ole' Lefty. It's really, truly sad how much he has to pay in taxes. <sarcasm tag>

The PGA should really start thinking about a cap on yearly earnings. We have a salary cap in the NFL, NBA, and NHL, and it has made all of those sports better and more competitive. Why not an earnings cap in golf? After Tiger wins two majors, he should have to sit out the rest of the year. How else are small-market players supposed to compete? The rich just keep getting richer, with better shoes, better clubs, and better training. Let someone else win, already!

Archived