Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's RR - Report: Redskins considering releasing Hall

SWFLSkins

I think Shanny has wanted to get rid of him for a while but knows he can't because CB is such a weak spot on this team.

Hopefully we can get another repeat of the 01 draft where we got Fred Smoot in the 2nd round and he started from day one.

Its far more likely we find a starting corner in free agency if we release Hall. It would be a HUGE gamble to leave a hole at that spot and hope you could find a corner who could step in and start picking at 51. If we release Hall, Moss and Carriker which is what seems to be on the cards that will create quite a bit of cap space but it means you need to find a starting corner and free safety as a priority in free agency. We probably also need to find a slot receiver but that is something I think we can do in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to the existing options already on the roster.

---------- Post added March-8th-2013 at 03:52 AM ----------

Is this a hint that the Redskins are pursuing Eric Winston? If Hall is cut and Fletcher resigns, we will have the money for the ZBS RT.

We need to get to about $13M under the cap just to do any business. We need a rookie pool of about $4-$5M, say about $4M to tender Rob Jackson, Young and Paulsen and then you need about $5M to cover paying a full practice squad plus an injury contingency in case you put anyone on IR (who still count against the cap) and need to sign replacements.

Cutting Hall, Moss and Carriker would save us more than $13M but not that much more - plus you have to replace them. We can save significantly more though with some restructures of guys like Garcon, Cofield, Chester and maybe Williams.

I think Hall will restructure his contract. Even if he does, the Redskins will probably look to the draft for another corner. With the way Josh Wilson and Hall played last year, Bruce Allen has to consider drafting Honey Badger. Honey Badger is better than what we have starting at cornerback right now.

No he's not. He projects as a nickle corner in the NFL- can you imagine 5' 8" corner covering big physical receivers like Bryant and Nicks?

They call him Honey Badger for a reason....do you know what a honey badger is? Some CBs who are his size play bigger than their size. Remember those games where Darrell Green who was also 5'8 covered big guys like Rice and Irvin? These scouts aren't always right about certain players. If they were right, then why did Richard Sherman slip to the 5th round of the 2011 draft?

They call him Honey Badger for a reason....do you know what a honey badger is? Some CBs who are his size play bigger than their size. Remember those games where Darrell Green who was also 5'8 covered big guys like Rice and Irvin? These scouts aren't always right about certain players. If they were right, then why did Richard Sherman slip to the 5th round of the 2011 draft?

Thats your argument? He's a honey badger?

I know what a honey monster is .......

Scouts are not alway right - see Morris Alfred. But they are right much more than they are wrong. As truly great a cover corner as Darrell Green was he had his problems with bigger physical receivers - you can't coach size.

Thats your argument? He's a honey badger?

I know what a honey monster is .......

Scouts are not alway right - see Morris Alfred. But they are right much more than they are wrong. As truly great a cover corner as Darrell Green was he had his problems with bigger physical receivers - you can't coach size.

It's an over rated rodent, that somebody made a viral video in the voice of a flaming queen about and it was really funny.

If you don't see how calling a player the nick name that came from that video's success, translates to the football field, that's on you.

Darrell Green was also one of the fasted CB's to play the game. The "Honey Badger" is not only undersized but has only average speed at best. Not saying he can't be a good player but he's not similar to Darrell Green.

It's an over rated rodent, that somebody made a viral video in the voice of a flaming queen about and it was really funny.

If you don't see how calling a player the nick name that came from that video's success, translates to the football field, that's on you.

Honey Badgers are very resourceful creatures. If bitten by a snake that vemon can kill a lion and all they do is go to sleep for a hour and wake back up just to go back and continue to eat their kill. Them creatures climb up trees after snakes. They're very relentless as hunters. Which is why Tyrann got his name. Because on the field he's relentless.

They're very relentless as hunters. Which is why Tyrann got his name. Because on the field he's relentless.

Cool - but being relentless does not make you an NFL corner. As a rookie he may turn out to be a very good special teams player and maybe nickle/dime DB in the NFL who over time develops into someone who grows into a starter. The odds are against him becoming a starter IMO but its certainly possible - the odds are probably better on him being on a drugs suspension first. He is not going to step right in though and be a better corner than Hall or WIlson - I feel VERY comfortable saying that.

Hall was signed to his deal because he came in the last year that Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers was here. He played himself into a contract by making big plays and having around 6 picks that year. But since then his production has gone down and is always trailing in every play due to the cushion he gives to every receiver he plays against. So cutting him wouldn't be a big missespecially if we can get someone better.

Got no problem with releasing DHall if they can't come to a better deal. Wouldn't mind him staying but it seems like there are just as many head shaking plays lately as there are ass kicking plays.

Next man up.

Hall was signed to his deal because he came in the last year that Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers was here. He played himself into a contract by making big plays and having around 6 picks that year. But since then his production has gone down and is always trailing in every play due to the cushion he gives to every receiver he plays against. So cutting him wouldn't be a big missespecially if we can get someone better.

Thats certainly the popular opinion/perceived wisdom. The tape does not always back that view up though.

Hall actually played quite well last year - especially later. His performance covering Dez Bryant in the second Dallas game stands out in particular and his tackling in general was excellent - he had a lot less missed tackles last year than London Fletcher for example.

Hall is not an elite cover corner - never has been. He is a guy who though who makes plays playing off man and who is very good in run support. He is clearly overpaid for what he brings on his current deal but if we can agree a lower number he still brings value to this team if he wants more than we think he is worth he will be released. If that happens though he will not be as easy to replace as many on ES seem to think - starting caliber NFL corners are a rare species.

Reminder: "restructure" means still paying him 8 mil for next season, just making it so a chunk of that counts against the cap in future years. Even for people who believe he's a good deal better than I do, I hope we could reach a consensus that he just isn't worth star-level pay.

Now, an actual pay cut is different, but personally I hope we just move on from him.

As far as I've seen from guys who follow the cap and salaries in here, we don't owe Hall any bonus money, so we can cut him outright and not owe him a dime. What is left is his base salary, which is not guaranteed. So we could cut his base salary in half without owing him in future years, unless we tagged a bonus on top of the paycut.

---------- Post added March-8th-2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

Seriously? You are basing his skills on a nickname?

Rice isn't a big guy. Not by height/weight standards. Irvin used to abuse Darrell, although alot of Redskin fans won't admit it. Difference between Mathieu and Green are, if Green was beat, he could make up for it with his speed. Plus Green had great instincts.

I know I've been probably a little too harsh when talking about Mathieu and I don't really believe the guy sucks, but he's projected to be a low round pick and alot of scouts, coaches and GMs don't know what position he will be able to play in the pros. Most teams put their largest WR in the slot to maximize space. See Megatron, Boldin, Andre Johnson. Why do you think Hall is always playing the slot receiver? Mathieu will be able to play in this league, but what gets to me is how much of a pedalstool Redskin fans are putting this guy on and convincing themselves he'll be our saviour at CB.

Truth is, for this 3-4 to work, our DL and LBers have to get better. They have to put MORE pressure on the QB and get MORE sacks than they have. The defense is similar to the Steelers and besides Polamalu, they interchange the rest of the secondary with no name guys, because their front 7 takes care of business. Get our front 7 elite and it makes the secondary that much better. I'm just not interested in taking Mathieu and I'd be really disappointed in the FO if they picked him since he's not the senior, captain, leader type guy they are always looking for.

I really like this idea. I'm not the biggest guy against Hall (and the guy is a BEAST in Madden), but I do think e'd have an easier time replacing Hall than say Fletcher or Orakpo. Especially by just giving the young guys we drafted last year a shot, and maybe going with Griffin just in case neither one works out. I'm not a fan of bringing in overpriced free agents and I think Hall is an example of one (although he was a trade), but I'm not necessarily in favor of bringing in some other overpriced guy to replace him (Like dude who just got released by the Eagles whose name I can't spell).

Its far more likely we find a starting corner in free agency if we release Hall. It would be a HUGE gamble to leave a hole at that spot and hope you could find a corner who could step in and start picking at 51. If we release Hall, Moss and Carriker which is what seems to be on the cards that will create quite a bit of cap space but it means you need to find a starting corner and free safety as a priority in free agency. We probably also need to find a slot receiver but that is something I think we can do in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to the existing options already on the roster.

---------- Post added March-8th-2013 at 03:52 AM ----------

We need to get to about $13M under the cap just to do any business. We need a rookie pool of about $4-$5M, say about $4M to tender Rob Jackson, Young and Paulsen and then you need about $5M to cover paying a full practice squad plus an injury contingency in case you put anyone on IR (who still count against the cap) and need to sign replacements.

Cutting Hall, Moss and Carriker would save us more than $13M but not that much more - plus you have to replace them. We can save significantly more though with some restructures of guys like Garcon, Cofield, Chester and maybe Williams.

Yes but we do not have to be $17 million under the cap tomorrow - or the next day - we have to be cap compliant at the beginning of the next NFL year (12th or March) we can continue to restructure and move money about after that ... for example we would not need to get the space for the rookie cap until after the draft . After- all the rookie cap is a cap within a cap it is an allocated maximum to the drafted players (and possibly the undrafted players) - it does not have to carved out of the resources we have now or at the beginning of FA ...

Also up until the first day of the playing season only the top 51 contracts count against the cap - so generally we can make a number of vet min moves without having to have a massive amount of space .... of example say our 50th and 51st salaries (base+pro rated bonus) are $600,000 we could add a player with a $1 million salary and only have about $400,000 additional net hit on the cap as the 51st most expensive player becomes the 52nd most expensive player and the $600,000 is taken off the cap .

Of course we would need to have the $400,000 space as otherwise the league would not approve the contracts ....during the playing season all players on the active roster must fit under the salary cap, though i have not seen anything about practice squad players .. you do want a fund (cap space) where fa could be signed from, but we would need to have that resolved in September not next Tuesday...

Archived