Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's RR - Report: Redskins considering releasing Hall

SWFLSkins

I don't see why we would be worse off drafting a rookie in round 2 to replace him. Will come at a fraction of the cost (helllooo Winston) and it's not like Hall is channeling his inner D.Green.

Because doing that means that a hole we would have filled with that pick goes unfilled. We already have a bunch of holes in the secondary alone without creating another one. I hope they are able to restructure and we can use that pick somewhere else.

Because doing that means that a hole we would have filled with that pick goes unfilled. We already have a bunch of holes in the secondary alone without creating another one. I hope they are able to restructure and we can use that pick somewhere else.

You just can't fill that hole with a draft pick. Any holes not addressed by taking a CB in the 2nd could be addressed with the $8 million additional cap space from releasing Hall.

I hope we release Hall and then bring him back at a much cheaper rate once he sees what the market will give which hopefully will be even less than the paycut we have asked him to take.

You just can't fill that hole with a draft pick. Any holes not addressed by taking a CB in the 2nd could be addressed with the $8 million additional cap space from releasing Hall.

I hope we release Hall and then bring him back at a much cheaper rate once he sees what the market will give which hopefully will be even less than the paycut we have asked him to take.

I love DHall, but I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking. His 8 mil salary would probably cover 2 up and coming db/safties.. along the lines of Bowen and Cofield.

Unless his replacements perform miserably, I don't see how it can be a bad thing... That would also free up draft picks to go bpa.

I dunno, tough call on this one.

Yes but we do not have to be $17 million under the cap tomorrow - or the next day - we have to be cap compliant at the beginning of the next NFL year (12th or March) we can continue to restructure and move money about after that ...

Thats a fair point. But if we want to be active at the start of free agency and tender Jackson, Paulsen and Young we need about $12M of space by 12th March and then a plan on where the extra $5M will come from for the rookie pool. Its only really the $5M for the practice squad and IR reserve you can put off to the end of August.

I'm not a Hall hater, and like him off the field in interviews and whatever, but I wouldn't mind not seeing all of his BS on the field. He is certainly not worth his cap number and I think he'll wind up restructuring. Nobody will pay him 8 Mil. And remember when he used to be fast?

I love DHall, but I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking. His 8 mil salary would probably cover 2 up and coming db/safties.. along the lines of Bowen and Cofield.

Unless his replacements perform miserably, I don't see how it can be a bad thing... That would also free up draft picks to go bpa.

I dunno, tough call on this one.

Its not like we couldn't have gotten his production for a much lower salary.

I thought I had already heard he was willing to restructure. Maybe I'm thinking of Moss or Fletcher... Fred Davis...is there anyone we AREN'T talking about taking a pay cut? lol

I think Freddy is someone we should be willing to give some money... I'd hate to see him go to another team and just start lighting it up. /close hijack

---------- Post added March-8th-2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

Seriously? You are basing his skills on a nickname?

I know I've been probably a little too harsh when talking about Mathieu and I don't really believe the guy sucks, but he's projected to be a low round pick and alot of scouts, coaches and GMs don't know what position he will be able to play in the pros. Most teams put their largest WR in the slot to maximize space. See Megatron, Boldin, Andre Johnson. Why do you think Hall is always playing the slot receiver? Mathieu will be able to play in this league, but what gets to me is how much of a pedalstool Redskin fans are putting this guy on and convincing themselves he'll be our saviour at CB.

I can see this 'Honey Badger' being more of a distraction, a media whore, than anything else. A player with talent doesn't mean he's a 'team' type player, just look at T.O., who drew more problems than cures, and thats how it could very well turn out with this cat.

A lower round, hungry, player will give you more on the field than a high rnd pick, in most cases. Hall, even though his mouth costs the team, he still has the tools. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed to calm down alot last season, especially in the turkey day game against Dallas; he KNEW refs were eyeing him, and he was 4 layers under Bryant's skin for most of the game. Hard to control oneself under those situations with that kind of character...

I'm not a Hall hater, and like him off the field in interviews and whatever, but I wouldn't mind not seeing all of his BS on the field. He is certainly not worth his cap number and I think he'll wind up restructuring. Nobody will pay him 8 Mil. And remember when he used to be fast?

He would be willing to restructure. I really think his lack of production was more a testament to the scheme we ran and the lack of safeties.... tough only playing with 9 guys on defense (we didn't have safeties).

Who would replace him?... he's our best corner...

Seems like a lot of misguided folks out there just want a reason to complain about Hall...

I figured that once I saw the thread.

Personally, I understand all the talk about Hall either taking a pay cut or being gone, but I'm only in favor if you can find someone of equal or greater ability and I don't know if it is going to be that easy. I personally think Josh Wilson was a downgrade from Carlos Rogers, and the third corner spot has been a revolving door of guys.

Is Hall one of the best in the league? Probably not, but I think he is a good CB.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/03/08/signs-point-to-release-of-deangelo-hall/

Signs point to release of DeAngelo Hall as free agency nears

As the start of free agency draws closer and the Redskins remain over the salary cap, people close to the situation believe that it’s “highly likely” that the team will release veteran cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

The Redskins as of Friday afternoon had yet to engage in talks to restructure the contract of the 10-year veteran, and team officials hadn’t offered any assurances that Hall remained in their plans, sources said.

Hall is scheduled to make $8 million next season, but Washington is roughly $3 million over the salary cap because of the $18 million penalty the league leveled against them last year and this year as punishment for how they structured contracts during the uncapped 2010 season. Hall said at the end of the 2012 season that he was willing to do whatever it took to rework his deal and remain in Washington. One person speaking on the condition of anonymity said that Hall’s representatives had proposed to contract restructure, but the Redskins informed them that they still were hoping to get at least some of the $18 million back and couldn’t talk money because wouldn’t know where they stood until closer to the start of free agency. The Redskins had twice pushed back negotiations with Hall’s representatives in February while holding out hope for resolution to the cap dispute. But with free agency starting at 4 p.m.Tuesday, and no resolution to the cap situation and little communication from Washington’s officials, Hall’s camp is bracing for the likelihood that he will be released early next week and will then become a free agent. Hall last season recorded 95 tackles and four interceptions. The Redskins haven’t held much negotiations with any of their impending free agents, and aren’t yet believed to have restructured any contracts. Most of their 13 unrestricted free agents expect to first test the open market (which they are permitted to do starting midnight Friday) since Washington has yet to make serious efforts to re-sign them.

Hall is one of those cornerbacks that you just have to accept his peaks and valleys. He is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and has the speed and athleticism to bait QB's into throwing into a zone they think is safe, and then Hall can step in front of a pass and take it to the house.

The counter-balance to this however is how often he seems to get beat on the long ball. For as fast as he is, the speed is rendered useless if he is totally juked and worked over on a double-move.

I think people should realise that Hall's contract would have been something that the FO would have looked at this year, irrespective of any cap penalty.

And i even think that love him or hate him, he is due to make $16.5m in base salary over the last two years of his contract, which to me seems difficult for anyone to justify to be honest.

So, its pay cut or he's gone.

Unless you think we should extend him by say 3 years to have him under contract until he's 35 say..??...that seems like a move from the past FO to me.

**** happens...

A lot of hate on Hall but I'm always going to remember how big he came up against Dez to help us win the division when Dez was on an absolute tear

Exactly. Saw another piece in this thread saying we're basically hoping to get some kind of answer on the cap penalty before we can make a final decision on Hall. This isn't about the franchise not liking Hall, its about us being in a very tough spot and not having very many options to get out of it.

Cutting Hall will only make things worse because we have enough problems back there. Even if Hall refuses to take a pay cut, we have to go with it. If anything, Hall has leverage.

Not saying Hall is great...but he's the few we have back there. Last season, a lot of heat was getting blown out of proportion. Despite the horrible defensive schemes that were called and the lack of help over the top, he's done respectable for the situation he was in.

Hall had some bad games last year. Still, I wonder how much of Hall's problems last year were compounded by poor play at the safety position. Like any of the units on the team (e.g. O-line), the secondary depends on the unit playing well together.

Archived