Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Police officer vs. Law student (video)

Sticksboi05

That could be. I was pretty sure that it applied for any gun carry license. Even still, he could have just showed his credentials and been on his way.

Virginia is an open carry state, meaning you don't need a permit to openly carry it. If you carry concealed though, you need a permit and are required to show it along with your I.D. You do need to be 21 to carry a handgun though, so if there was any doubt about him not being 21, that could have been an issue.

Virginia is an open carry state, meaning you don't need a permit to openly carry it. If you carry concealed though, you need a permit and are required to show it along with your I.D. You do need to be 21 to carry a handgun though, so if there was any doubt about him not being 21, that could have been an issue.

That pretty much sums up how it works in Idaho. Couple of other things:

1. CCPermit or not it's STILL illegal to carry a weapon under any circumstance under the influence.

2. CCP is revoked upon conviction of a felony

Excellent laws I must say.

That pretty much sums up how it works in Idaho. Couple of other things:

1. CCPermit or not it's STILL illegal to carry a weapon under any circumstance under the influence.

2. CCP is revoked upon conviction of a felony

Excellent laws I must say.

Yup, same here.

But even if he was following every law there is, you know he was looking for a confrontation because he started recording it. Most likely too, he was drawing some sort of attention to himself to warrant the call to police. Granted, I don't know what the atmosphere around Portland is, but if I see someone carrying responsibly, open or concealed, I'm not going to do anything. I would call, however, if he was acting unusual.

wow i don't see a guy being an *******, i see a guy who knows his rights. how was he being a giant tool about it? he was being questioned...people tend to get a little excitable when things like that happen so yeah he seemed a little edgy and eager to speak over the cop (which was rude)...but he was simply showing he wouldn't be pushed around or strong armed by the police because he knew his rights. The police hate people like him because he understands his rights and how to protect himself.

I can understand how many of you sense a hint of "doucheism" within the guy, but honestly he handled it exactly how a citizen should handle it when they're being harassed for no legit reason. and to say he's a law student simply so he can walk around with a gun and do these kind of things....that's completely unfounded. You don't know this guy. Unless of course there's more to the video i'm missing, but those labeling this guy as a "troublemaker" for lack of a better term...sorry i disagree. rude? yeah a little bit, but that's as far as i'll take it. but to say he should be out "getting in the way of ambulances" or whatever was said....talk about a toolbag type of comment. The guy in this video did nothing of the sort.

So, he walks around with a gun and a camera specifically so he can get a policeman to ask him questions, so he can prove he knows his rights.

Even when the cop explains that people have called expressing concern, he shows no compassion for anyone and why they may feel concerned, he just behaves as if he's the only person on the ****ing planet, and continues to give the cop ****.

The cop does exactly what he is supposed to do, he doesn't violate anyone's rights, and certainly while he's wasting time with this attention whore, he's distracted from doing his job.

remember when you were a kid and they explained why you shouldn't make a false fire alarm?

they didn't say "because it's illegal"

they said "Because while the firemen are attending your false alarm, a real fire might happen somewhere else."

You know,, life in a society, recognizing that there are more people than you.

this guy's a tool wasting a public servant's time so he can play games.

~Bang

So, he walks around with a gun and a camera specifically so he can get a policeman to ask him questions, so he can prove he knows his rights.

Even when the cop explains that people have called expressing concern, he shows no compassion for anyone and why they may feel concerned, he just behaves as if he's the only person on the ****ing planet, and continues to give the cop ****.

The cop does exactly what he is supposed to do, he doesn't violate anyone's rights, and certainly while he's wasting time with this attention whore, he's distracted from doing his job.

remember when you were a kid and they explained why you shouldn't make a false fire alarm?

they said "Because while the firemen are attending your false alarm, a real fire might happen somewhere else."

~Bang

I'm glad someone said it.

742049ae.gif

If that was a young black male, in the same situation, how many words in the first sentence does he get out of his mouth before backup is called and there is a knee on his upperback holding him down while the other officers place him in handcuffs.

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 12:18 AM ----------

Odds that a young black make gets away from this situation without a scratch on him?

~Bang

I wish we could "thanks" posts.

This X 10000

Not to mention, and I have done some stupid stuff in my life, but I normally dont have a camera rolling seconds before I do something. Lest I have it planned and am trying to make some kind of statement

If that was a young black male, in the same situation, how many words in the first sentence does he get out of his mouth before backup is called and there is a knee on his upperback holding him down while the other officers place him in handcuffs.

Odds that a young black make gets away from this situation without a scratch on him?

Actually surprised it took 57 posts for this to be brought up.

the odds go up with a camera taping the events as they unfold...

~Bang

Applause-gif-tumblr-i8.gif

That's a whole other kettle of fish.

~Bang

If that was a young black male, in the same situation, how many words in the first sentence does he get out of his mouth before backup is called and there is a knee on his upperback holding him down while the other officers place him in handcuffs

God love the tailgate.

~Bang

I'd say that precisely sums up everything that needs to be said in response to :dunce: people unable to see the issues with this jackass's actions. :)

~Bang

How do you know that? Everyone has a camera on them these days on their phone. Lots of times people record their interactions with police so they have it on record, to keep the police honest. The police officer actually did violate his rights, by removing his gun. Unlawful search and seizure. The guy filming didnt call the police, he was walking around and someone saw he had a gun, and decided to call the police. He wasnt doing anything illegal, he wasnt brandishing his gun, he wasnt flashing it around. He was walking down the street with it in his holster.

Im glad there is someone out there that actually cares to reinforce what a citizens rights are, so perhaps the police will be able to get away with less.

Sometimes in society as well, people need to stand up for their rights, because most people dont know their rights. Which is good for society as a whole, lest we forget what those rights are. Same goes for those people who video tape their interactions with police when they are stopped for photographing in public areas, and their IDs are demanded. Should they also just hand it over?

I'm not going to join the parade of praising the cop for showing restraint. They aren't supposed to attack people they don't like and apparently the ******* with the camera wasn't breaking any laws. The issue here is that the law student has a horribly abrasive personality, total dbag, and carry laws obviously aren't in line with what people want or think they are. It's odd that carrying a firearm in full view is entirely legal being that absolutely no one is comfortable with it. That puts police in an annoying position where they have to respect the concerns of a community, and common sense, while at the same time dealing with the fact that they have to allow it.

It's odd that carrying a firearm in full view is entirely legal being that absolutely no one is comfortable with it. That puts police in an annoying position where they have to respect the concerns of a community, and common sense, while at the same time dealing with the fact that they have to allow it.

Making something illegal because people are uncomfortable with it, is very unwise. Many people want to carry laws as they are, to say people dont want open carry is a generalization across the U.S population which is not accurate. And very many people are comfortable with carrying a gun in full view, another generalization. You dont see many criminals open carrying, the vast majority of people that open carry or responsible gun owners.

Wait, what? I've never heard of this. In fact, given what I've been told by my friends who went to law school, it seems like the opposite is true.

Unless he's lying UMASS doesn't allow you to have a job while in their law program. I'm not sure about the internships that someone asked about earlier, he was talking about an internship last summer, but I have no idea what came of that.

Making something illegal because people are uncomfortable with it, is very unwise. Many people want to carry laws as they are, to say people dont want open carry is a generalization across the U.S population which is not accurate. And very many people are comfortable with carrying a gun in full view, another generalization. You dont see many criminals open carrying, the vast majority of people that open carry or responsible gun owners.

If someone is walking around my neighborhood pacing back and forth with a gun then I'm not going to feel at ease with that. The laws are too lenient for those with a license - if you can't be stopped to check that information then what is stopping those that don't have a license from doing the same thing? This video is just opening the door for all the psycho's out there that can think "they need a reason to stop me so if I just carry on normal then they won't know if i actually have a license or not"

And this guy was a total tool - his whole demeanor was annoying - it's a cops responsibility to check out any incident that involves public safety. What if the cop listened to him and let him go and then they guy shot up a bunch of people and posted the video of the cop just letting him go? What would everyone be saying then?

If someone is walking around my neighborhood pacing back and forth with a gun then I'm not going to feel at ease with that. The laws are too lenient for those with a license - if you can't be stopped to check that information then what is stopping those that don't have a license from doing the same thing? This video is just opening the door for all the psycho's out there that can think "they need a reason to stop me so if I just carry on normal then they won't know if i actually have a license or not"

And this guy was a total tool - his whole demeanor was annoying - it's a cops responsibility to check out any incident that involves public safety. What if the cop listened to him and let him go and then they guy shot up a bunch of people and posted the video of the cop just letting him go? What would everyone be saying then?

no no ,, you don't count.

If anyone wants to prove they know their rights, then they should walk around making people nervous just so he can hassle a cop and show them they were stupid for being nervous .

F them, after all, they don't have any rights, only this guy does. Besides, he never videotaped anything prior to his encounter with the cop. We can only take his word for it that he was doing nothing.. so much nothing thatg it prompted several calls from concerned citizens.

I'd speculate and say if open carry laws are in effect, and they tell the cops the guy is walking around with a safely holstered pistol, the cops aren't going to investigate.. in fact they'll probably tell the caller he's not breaking the law if his gun is holstered.

But something caused them to send a man out, and i can only assume it's because all of those sheep were just frightened by the sight of a holstered gun.

Considering his pleasant attitude, I doubt he'd do anything like say "What are YOU looking at!" or something else friendly and kind when concerned citizens looked at him.

(In fact,I hear they all called the cops later when they observed a person driving the speed limit. Stupid nervous fools!)

But I guess what people are saying is right, though,, it's good people like this are willing to show us what our rights are.

after all, look at all these posts by people who are so happy with his actions. He's sure getting the message across.

And the lesson that most people seem to be taking from this video is that this clown is a grade-A *******.

~Bang

Worthless POS cops. Never around when you need them.

EDIT: nm, Bang beat me to it.

How do you know this guy was pacing around a neighborhood rather then just walking down the street? Another assumption. And you are within your rights to not feel at ease with that, but at the same time that guy would also be within his rights as long as he isnt on private property and has the gun holstered.

You dont need a license to open carry. If someone is concealed carrying, which would even mean a jack loosely hanging over the gun, that you are required by law to provide your ID and concealed carry permit.

It is the cops responsibility to check on it. But once he gets there and sees the guy is lawfully open carrying, not drunk, not carrying the gun unholstered, etc, he has done his job. So should we start stopping people, arresting them, etc if they have the ability/know how to harm people? How does that make any sense?

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 11:00 AM ----------

no no ,, you don't count.

If anyone wants to prove they know their rights, then they should walk around making people nervous just so he can hassle a cop and show them they were stupid for being nervous .

F them, after all, they don't have any rights, only this guy does. Besides, he never videotaped anything prior to his encounter with the cop. We can only take his word for it that he was doing nothing.. so much nothing thatg it prompted several calls from concerned citizens.

I'd speculate and say if open carry laws are in effect, and they tell the cops the guy is walking around with a safely holstered pistol, the cops aren't going to investigate.. in fact they'll probably tell the caller he's not breaking the law if his gun is holstered.

But something caused them to send a man out, and i can only assume it's because all of those sheep were just frightened by the sight of a holstered gun.

Considering his pleasant attitude, I doubt he'd do anything like say "What are YOU looking at!" or something else friendly and kind when concerned citizens looked at him.

(In fact,I hear they all called the cops later when they observed a person driving the speed limit.)

But I guess what people are saying is right, though,, it's good people like this are willing to show us what our rights are.

after all, look at all these posts by people who are so happy with his actions. He's sure getting the message across.

And the lesson that most people seem to be taking from this video is that this clown is a grade-A *******.

~Bang

You are making a lot of assumptions Bang, none of which is backed up by whats in the video.

Most people are ignorant of the law, and assume that a guy having a gun out in public is illegal so they call the police. Their ignorance of the law doesnt trump this guys right to carry his gun. People saw a guy with a gun, so they called the police. If he was handling his gun, if he was threatening people, he would be arrested because its illegal.

Stop making assumptions, adding stuff to the story that isnt there. You dont like guns? Fine, but there are millions of responsible gun owners that know the law, unlike many of the people calling the police about this guy.

Archived