Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Police officer vs. Law student (video)

Sticksboi05

Thats not what it is at all. If i came up to you and took your phone for no reason, you would be totally fine with that? Please. What does violence have to do with this? Abusing power doesnt always correlate with violence.

What violence has to do with it is your comparison.

You compared this to a punch in the face, and it's nothing of the sort.

secondly, if you were a duly authorized police officer and you had informed me that people had called to state their nervousness, i would cooperate reasonably to insure that no one has any reason to be nervous. because I don't want to make anyone nervous, I just want to walk down the street. And, being a nice person, i would rather people feel comfortable in my presence than not.

And that is exactly what would happen. everyone would go about their day. And next time i walked by, those same people would likely smile and wave instead of call the cops.

and again, as many have stated, we don't know what he was doing to precipitate more than one call to the police about his behavior.

Simple compassion, you know. giving a **** about your fellow human beings.

Not everything is an assault on your rights. Simple courtesy and basic understanding for those around you makes this situation easy to defuse and a snap to make everyone involved happy.

but, in many minds, they are the only ones who matter.

Like yours, it would seem.

~Bang

What violence has to do with it is your comparison.

You compared this to a punch in the face, and it's nothing of the sort.

secondly, if you were a duly authorized police officer and you had informed me that people had called to state their nervousness, i would cooperate reasonably to insure that no one has any reason to be nervous.

And that is exactly what would happen. everyone would go about their day. And next time i walked by, those same people would likely smile and wave instead of call the cops.

and again, as many have stated, we don't know what he was doing to precipitate more than one call to the police about his behavior.

Simple compassion, you know. giving a **** about your fellow human beings.

Not everything is an assault on your rights. Simple courtesy and basic understanding for those around you makes this situation easy to defuse and a snap to make everyone involved happy.

but, in many minds, they are the only ones who matter.

Like yours, it would seem.

~Bang

I misread your post, i thought i edited it before you would post but you beat me to it. I brought up the punch example because someone compared this to murder.

I can understand people saying he handled it the wrong way, but to say him handling it the wrong way means the cop did not do anything illegal, as you are arguing, thats completely wrong.

Just cause someone is being a jerk, that does not turn something done illegally to him, to being done legally. i dont get how you are arguing that

I misread your post, i thought i edited it before you would post but you beat me to it. I brought up the punch example because someone compared this to murder.

I can understand people saying he handled it the wrong way, but to say him handling it the wrong way means the cop did not do anything illegal, as you are arguing, thats completely wrong.

Just cause someone is being a jerk, that does not turn something done illegally to him, to being done legally. i dont get how you are arguing that

I follow you. And i agree,, I'm as much a hawk to keep our rights as anyone.

My main problem in this case is this guy's attitude. Not that he's wrong, it just could be handled better.

I'd still like to know where this happened, just to know their particular laws.. it might go a bit further to helping this discussion.

Back about 30 years ago I lived in Crofton for a time. (Planned community in MD.)

Anyway, I bought a pipe and put tobacco in it and went walking around the parkway.

I got stopped, being a long haired teenager smoking a pipe, and the cops wanted to know what was in it.

I cooperated happily.

because after two weeks or so when every one of the half dozen cops on their force had stopped me and investigated my pipe, I began to walk around with something else in my pipe, and never had a whit of trouble ;)

what that has to do with this, i don't know,, but it's a fun story.

~Bang

It doesnt matter if you know what his intentions are. Really not at all. Guess what? There are many police officers that dont understand the laws when it comes to open carrying. You believing that or not doesnt change that its a fact.

That would be the same thing as me walking by somebody that has a knife clipped to his belt. I decide that makes me uncomfortable, I feel unsafe and call the police. The guy did nothing illegal, didnt threaten me, he isnt going to get arrested.

No matter how much you may want it to be the case, you cant get someone arrested for doing something that is lawful, because it makes you uncomfortable. The law doesnt work that way, the constitution doesnt allow you to infringe on their rights.

How about this:

The officer said that there were calls from concerned people. Now, when someone calls 9-1-1, generally the operator tries to get as much information as possible so the emergency responders aren't walking into a ****storm.

So, when the person calls 9-1-1, they say there's a guy with a gun. Not knowing what kind of gun, or where, the operator asks questions. To which the person replies. If the guy had been doing nothing illegal, then the operator would have said something to that effect. The fact that a call was made and police responded highly suggest that there was something questionable going on.

So you are assuming something that is never indicated in the video. The cop says the only reason that he was stopped was because he had a gun. He says that IN THE VIDEO. You are even ignoring the words the police officer speaks.

Yes. I've said it a few times in a couple different ways. My gut says that there's more going on than what you see in the video. I use common sense and context clues to support the notion that it was a setup and while you're right that I don't know for sure what transpired prior to the tape rolling, we do know that something was going on, otherwise people wouldn't be calling the police.

---------- Post added March-1st-2013 at 02:41 PM ----------

what that has to do with this, i don't know,,

~Bang

That you can get a lot more accomplished by being cool.

Archived