Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com - LaRon Landry likely priced himself out of the Jets - Would we? SHOULD we?! No we shouldn't and you all should stop with all the silly "should we" threads. DAMN.

Chadwiko

IMHO, pass rush was another huge problem for our team. We allowed QBs to get too comfortable which only exacerbated our weakness in coverage. Laron is pretty good near the line of scrimmage. He's a really good blitzer. Do, I think he would have made us a top ten defense? No... but I think we would have had a better showing.
Better than third and 4th string safeties on the roster, maybe, but not by much and not enough to pay him what he wants. Doughty is good against the run and a better tackler, Landry tried going for the big hit and whiffed a bunch, giving up big plays. Not to mention his coverage skills are suspect. Not to mention that due to the injuries to Orakpo and Carriker, which killed our pass rush, they couldnt have blitzed him that often as it would put either Hall or Wilson on an island with no safety help. Blitzing the safety is a luxury where you need to already be able to generate a good/above average pass rush to maximize it's benefit.

When we didn't have a pass rush 2-3 years ago, we all saw what happened when Laron blitzed or played too close to the line, our corners got burned. Just like we all saw what happened when we blitzed the CB and put Laron 1 on 1 with a WR with speed (see Jackson, Desean - Eagles blowout game on MNF). Thats the very reason why Hall didnt get to be utilized on some blitz packages like Haslet wanted him to last year, because we didnt have our best defensive players on the field and couldnt generate a pass rush.

Id rather stick with Merriweather and see what he can do healthy if he can bounce back along with Jackson back there.

Better than third and 4th string safeties on the roster, maybe, but not by much and not enough to pay him what he wants.

And that was pretty much my point. He was much better than what we put out there last year and nowhere in my posts have I advocated signing him to anything.

After Sean Taylor was murdered, the coaches tried to convert Landry into a FS. That is not where he excels and that became very evident. He's too aggressive. When Shanahan got here, they moved him back to his natural position of SS and he played at a high level until he injured his achillies that year. He tried to play through it but they finally sat him down in that Eagles game. The injury problems persisted into the 2011 season. I think these types of injuries will persist for Landry for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post. That's one of the reasons why I want the Redskins to steer clear of him (not that I really thought there was a chance anyway).

And that was pretty much my point. He was much better than what we put out there last year and nowhere in my posts have I advocated signing him to anything.

Thats fine, but I was pointing out that it wouldnt have been much better than it already was due to the lack of pass rush and blitzing the safety isnt a luxury that you have when your D line and LBs cant get to the QB or open holes for said blitzer from the secondary. If teams ran the ball all day would LL be better than what we had stopping the run, yes, as long as he got them at the line of scrimage. But Im sure you can't deny that in open space, his run coverage got worse because he would rather lay them out than wrap and tackle. Because of that, Im gonna go out on a limb and say Doughty is better against the run, overall, than LL. So in our paticular situation last year, we were better off without LL, than with him.

Stopping the run wasnt our biggest issue anyhow, it was the lack of a pass rush good enough to force the QB to get the ball out quickly before WRs/TEs picked our secondary apart and found holes/got open. Hell, I'll even go out on a limb and say that Doughty is better in pass coverage than LL. Both suck at it imo, but Doughty was more improved at it this season than in years past.

The inappropriate celebration times thing aside

Merriweather and Jackson.... not expecting much next year.

Reed looked really good shadowing Wilson. He may have found his perfect role.

I wonder if Andrews recommended the knife.

Based on his salary, prior, and our cap room, I think we will not touch him.

LL at SS > FS is my preference though.

Naaa. Even if he did come back, IMO it would only be for the money and I don't think that we do that anymore. We actually can't do that anymore.

Merriweather and Jackson.... not expecting much next year. Reed looked really good shadowing Wilson. He may have found his perfect role.
Why aren't you expecting much from Merriweather? In his first game of the season he was able to put together as many tackles in one half of football than Doughty was in four quarters of just about every game of the season. He matched Doughty's interception total also.

I'm not taking anything away from Doughty, I just didn't understand your quote.:)

He's a very similar player to Brandon Meriweather only he has a (negative) history with us. Why pay more for what we already have?

Merriweather covers more earth, pass on this discount double flex. We would'nt and should'nt. Draft or sign young cheap potential.

---------- Post added February-15th-2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

This ship has sailed, hit an iceberg, sunk and had a film which is at least an hour too long made about it.

Haahahhaaa,,,and this ship is all blown up faux version to begin with....

titanic.jpg

NO. I appreciate the time he was here, but now it is over. We are trying to change the culture and signing a big name free agent only looking for the big pay day would be setting all the work Shanahan and Allen have done over the past few years. Landry was good and bad here and he still holds some ill feelings here.

N-O.

All I needed to know about Landry I saw on a piece of behind-the-scenes Redskins footage a couple years ago. It was pre-game, and the entire secondary was in a huddle, arms entwined with each other, chanting, getting themselves worked up, all except one ... SuperDouche. He was standing away from his teammates, outside of the huddle, standing totally still, apparently wanting nothing to do with the sense of "all for one and one for all" they were trying to build.

This guy is the epitome of the kind of guy we DON'T want on this team EVER AGAIN. All about himself, couldn't care less about the team he's on or his teammates, just wants the attention of a big hit and a big payday.

Screw SuperDouche. He does remind me of a Hall of Fame player in one way, though. Whenever I look at him, I think "bust."

Archived