Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins hire Keith Burns as new ST coach (MET)

BringEmBacktoDC

Just Suisham. And he was statistically one the best in franchise history. It was WHEN he missed the kicks that doomed him. As for the rest of them, where are they balling now?

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/09/redskins-lead-the-nfl-in-kicking-changes/

Novak is with San Diego, 18 of 20 this season. Suisham 28 of 31. Gano is on the Panthers now replacing an injured kicker, went 9 of 11.

Each of the young guys we had started out well but then became inconsistent, especially in clutch situations. The trend was too common under Smith.

Probably best not to use a piece from October, especially not one from the Post that only puts out hit pieces. But his point you are correct in that it was exaggerated.

Novak is with San Diego, 18 of 20 this season. Suisham 28 of 31. Gano is on the Panthers now replacing an injured kicker, went 9 of 11.

Each of the young guys we had started out well but then became inconsistent, especially in clutch situations. The trend was too common under Smith.

Probably best not to use a piece from October, especially not one from the Post that only puts out hit pieces. But his point you are correct in that it was exaggerated.

True enough about those three. But Novak was out of the league for a year or two IIRC and nobody really wanted Gano until there was an injury. Seems the trend in the league may be shifting away from these retread kickers everybody keeps trotting out every year. Hell, I think Kai is the first kicker we've had I would call "our young guy". Everybody else played reg season games elsewhere before we rented them. I'd like to see them go down the same route with the punting position we're going to need to fill now that Rocca has health issues.

True enough about those three. But Novak was out of the league for a year or two IIRC and nobody really wanted Gano until there was an injury. Seems the trend in the league may be shifting away from these retread kickers everybody keeps trotting out every year. Hell, I think Kai is the first kicker we've had I would call "our young guy". Everybody else played reg season games elsewhere before we rented them. I'd like to see them go down the same route with the punting position we're going to need to fill now that Rocca has health issues.

Pat McAfee from the Colts is a FA. I'm hoping that we target him in FA. Plus, he is great at KO and can fill in as a FG kicker in case Kai is injured.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/keith-burns/8be9b559-a10f-48d4-8300-f2a38bb4e05d

Keith Burns begins his seventh season on the Denver Broncos’ staff in 2013, following a 13-year playing career in which he became one of the most accomplished special teams players in the NFL. Burns, who played for the Broncos for 11 years, has worked with the club’s special teams for the last six years. He was named to his current position as assistant special teams coach on Jan. 27, 2011.

During six seasons assisting with the instruction of Denver’s special teams, Burns has worked with a unit that has accounted for 10 return touchdowns (6 punt return, 4 kickoff return) and three blocked kicks (2 punts, 1 extra point) in addition to posting the sixth-best punt return average (10.3 yds.) in the NFL. The Broncos also have posted the most touchbacks on kickoffs (194) in the league over that span.

Thought this was good info from the Broncos site.

Somewhere Bang is doing the happy dance.

it wasn't just kickers.. 2012 excluded, the entire unit constantly under-performed.

Penalties were my biggest gripe.

2012 was an exception.

However, Kai Forbath was a last ditch stab-in-the-dark-oh-crap-i-hope-this-works move.

And even though it DID work, and he IS good, there's no way I give credit to a guy who brought in two other kickers to compete, cut them both, brought in ANOTHER loser kicker on the eve of the season and when that blew up in his face, flailed out and found Forbath.

By any stretch of any imagination, a LUCKY stab... a miracle. and no way will I give Smith credit for that. He had no idea, or Forbath would have been here all summer.

Good luck coach Burns.

~Bang

it wasn't just kickers.. 2012 excluded, the entire unit constantly under-performed.

Penalties were my biggest gripe.

2012 was an exception.

However, Kai Forbath was a last ditch stab-in-the-dark-oh-crap-i-hope-this-works move.

And even though it DID work, and he IS good, there's no way I give credit to a guy who brought in two other kickers to compete, cut them both, brought in ANOTHER loser kicker on the eve of the season and when that blew up in his face, flailed out and found Forbath.

By any stretch of any imagination, a LUCKY stab... a miracle. and no way will I give Smith credit for that. He had no idea, or Forbath would have been here all summer.

Good luck coach Burns.

~Bang

Ur da Man!

OK he does look a little like Ashy Larry.

In 2012, the Broncos boasted the NFL’s second-ranked punt coverage team and the seventh-ranked kick coverage unit. Returner Trindon Holliday ranked first in kickoff return average, while also taking back a kick and a punt for touchdowns.

I'm liking what I'm hearing here.

Archived