Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Dan Hellie Twitter: (Bang you finally got your wish) Danny Smith leaving for Pittsburgh

Sweet Sassy Molassy

I don't recall blunders like this with Danny. Special teams arguably lost us this game.

lol... seven years of this.

Seriously, y'all.

If you want to **** about the special teams you have every right.

but good lord, get over Smith. He SUCKED.

There IS no argument for him, and saying this guy sucks with the guys Smith left behind isn't making you much of a case.

Collinsworth made a point tonight that this cap penalty has not allowed us to make a lot of the minor signings of vets who help out here... this is a truth, and even IF it is an entire truth, it's only two years.

Smith's lousiness lasted seven.

Get OVER it, forget him, he stunk, move forward.

~Bang

I'm starting to think we shouldn't bother trying to return punts at all anymore. Half the time we wind up with a holding or blocking in the back penalty, so our 3 yard return turns into a 10 yard loss from the spot. Just fair catch all of them and be done with it.

We were horrible in every phase of special teams tonight. How do these guys keep their jobs? I guess a head coach thinks they'll look stupid for firing the position coaches. The thinking must be "We can't admit how terrible this guy is or people will wonder why we hired him in the first place". Disgusting.

I'm starting to think we shouldn't bother trying to return punts at all anymore. Half the time we wind up with a holding or blocking in the back penalty, so our 3 yard return turns into a 10 yard loss from the spot. Just fair catch all of them and be done with it.

We were horrible in every phase of special teams tonight. How do these guys keep their jobs? I guess a head coach thinks they'll look stupid for firing the position coaches. The thinking must be "We can't admit how terrible this guy is or people will wonder why we hired him in the first place". Disgusting.

Forget fair catching it. Just tell them to run the **** away from the ball and play it where it lies.

Why was this thread bumped?

No one would really ask for Danny Smith back, given literally any other option. We were right to fire him.

We didn't fire him (rightfully).

His ST unit never won us a game. Never had returns for TDs.

But they never lost us a game either. Coverage was consistently solid, ALWAYS.

I have bitten my tounge so far but I think this is a fair bump Danny Smith was made the bad guy for the breakdowns of specific players ... lets not forget how solid our special teams last year... This year Kia Forbath seems to be limited to extra point range at the moment our coverage teams are so bad I think going for it on 4th down every time is the better option ......and who makes the decision to bring it out of the endzone every time - we are giving up 10+ yards in field position each time someone refuses to take the touch back and it is consistent - that has to be coaching . It is nothing to do with the ability of the returner, it is the lack of opportunities by the blocking units ...  and it is NOTHING to do with personnel because it is just bone headed...

You then look what Smith has done in Pittsburgh and their coverage units, for years a problem are suddenly one of the best in the league....y'know like ours used to be ...

We fired a good coach for a very very very very very very bad coach

This to me was a nonsensical firing driven by our fickle fan base that always thinks there is something amazing around the corner ...the same fan base that is booing RGIII after one season ... some times you get what you deserve in life and the redskins fans are getting the team they deserve  and this is showing up especially in the special teams which is bearing the fruits of what we deserve .

I have bitten my tounge so far but I think this is a fair bump Danny Smith was made the bad guy for the breakdowns of specific players ... lets not forget how solid our special teams last year... This year Kia Forbath seems to be limited to extra point range at the moment our coverage teams are so bad I think going for it on 4th down every time is the better option ......and who makes the decision to bring it out of the endzone every time - we are giving up 10+ yards in field position each time someone refuses to take the touch back and it is consistent - that has to be coaching . It is nothing to do with the ability of the returner, it is the lack of opportunities by the blocking units ...  and it is NOTHING to do with personnel because it is just bone headed...

You then look what Smith has done in Pittsburgh and their coverage units, for years a problem are suddenly one of the best in the league....y'know like ours used to be ...

This to me was a nonsensical firing driven by our fickle fan base that always thinks there is something amazing around the corner ...the same fan base that is booing RGIII after one season ... some times you get what you deserve in life and the redskins fans are getting the team they deserve  and this is showing up especially in the special teams which is bearing the fruits of what we deserve .

Danny Smith was fired?

I don't know what our new coach is. I feel that at this point, labeling him a very very very very very very very bad coach is the same sort of fickle nonsense you're annoyed with. Having grievances with Danny Smith after 5 games where the entire team looked terrible would be fickle and nonsensical, and it's exactly what you're doing to Keith Burns right now. Take a look at what our current ST coach has accomplished throughout his career:

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches/Keith-Burns/64d3a817-6b33-4013-9d7d-fce76a97a2fa

Then tell me that he's a very very very very very very very bad coach.

Danny Smith hung around here for 7 years, during which we had a turnstyle of terrible field goal kickers, countless blocked punts, major special teams penalties, and kicks/punts returned for touchdowns. This was NOT a knee jerk reaction, this is something which built and accumulated over time. If there is anything Mike Shanahan has shown, it's that he isn't the type to make fickle decisions. Hell, he's stubbornly stuck with Jim Haslett for 4 years now. The fact that he decided to "fire" Danny Smith (i.e. perhaps tell him to look elsewhere) should tell you a lot within that context.

Also, maybe the Steelers return teams have been looking better, but I do recall a blocked punt already in their season. I don't watch their games however so I cannot comment further on the competency of their special teams. My last comment is that A. As Collinsworth pointed out, we didn't have the cap room due to the bull**** penalty the past 2 seasons to retain special teams aces and we're thin on that area of our team. B. As I'm sure many have forgotten, Richard Crawford (you know, our actual punt/kick returner) blew out his knee in the pre-season so we've been sticking all sorts of people back there to see what happens. Josh Morgan is dumb enough to bring the ball out from the endzone 9 yards deep. Josh Morgan is dumb enough to catch a punt with a guy 2 feet away. Some other guy who has a forgettable name is dumb enough to field a punt bounce when even Josh Morgan was smart enough to wave everyone off!

If we are being fickle and shortsighted for blaming Danny Smith for the failures of individuals every year for 7 years, aren't we being just a tad premature calling Keith Burns a very very very very very very very bad coach simply because we're mad that we lost to the Cowboys when we shouldn't have?

I stand corrected, Smith was allowed to leave .. despite years of stopping teams talking to him ... he was essentially told to look elsewhere.

Richard Crawford our KR/PR? Really - I mean he was a solid pair of hands but loosing him was not a loosing Brian Mitchell kind of impact - next man up .. especially on special teams and it is not about the returner ... Crawford would have mininmal impact on this unit oustide what he could do on coverage .... I think our returners are fine  what is consistent is our guys do not seem to be even aware of when to  field a kick or let it go ... they do not seem to know when not to run the ball 9 yards deep in the endzone ... and that is bad  coaching or discipline  .. and that is killing us on offense ...

Just a quick comment on the link - Burns was not responsible for the special teams excellence in Denver, he was not the special teams coachs,  of the Broncos but he was an assistant on that that staff ... just saying ..

we have already had blocked punts under Burns and botched kicks in 5 games ...and I am not calling for Burns head but I am pointing out that some fans were dancing on his grave when Smith went  ... but Smith was no where near this bad ever and in fact if people would have looked around the league and seen what other teams special teams units were like we might not have been so keen to give him a shove out the door.

To me a special teams unit has to win the field position war and that is it - and we are not doing that - it hurts us   ... but all people are concerned about is "Waaah we never get punt returns .... Waaah we never get kick returns" ..

And Collinsworth is talking out of his ass when he talks about the cap penalty killing us on special teams .. if anything our special teams should be the proving ground for young and hungry players - not exactly somewhere where the lack of $$$ is a huge issue ...

Now now Bang. Don't think those of us that try to tell you to be careful what you wish for weren't going to come back and poke you with a stick. If Burns was doing a stellar job you would be here reminding the world how "bad" Smith was. So far, Burns units are as bad as we've seen around here in years.

I think it was Danny's preference to leave so he did, but I sure wished he hadn't. The special teams are killing us, they look lost they lack energy and there is absolutely no cohesiveness to this unit. Can we at least find a guy to coach this group with a little passion and creativity? Most special teams coaches are a little nuts anyhow Burns stands there on the sideline dazed and confused and is a joke. At least his last name reflects the type of performance we get week in and week out and that is BURNT.

Now now Bang. Don't think those of us that try to tell you to be careful what you wish for weren't going to come back and poke you with a stick. If Burns was doing a stellar job you would be here reminding the world how "bad" Smith was. So far, Burns units are as bad as we've seen around here in years.

I still got what i wished for. I just didn't get a better replacement.

Honestly,  folks pining for danny,   it's pathetic.

BUT..  expected..

We have an entire generation of fans who truly don't know how to do anything but lo look at bad coaching and compare it to more bad coaching.

~Bang

It's not from one bad coach to another bad coach Bang. It's from one coach that wasn't as bad as you suggested he was to a coach that looks as incompetent as they come. Blocked punts for TD's, returns for big gains and touchdowns. That wasn't an issue with Smith.

No...   the numbers don't lie.

7 years of horrible special teams speaks for itself.

I don't make up what happened.

All I suggest is to look at the numbers and see it for yourself.

We can't continue to look back at trash and think it's better than trash we have now.

Trash is trash.

~Bang

Archived