Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is RGIII? (merged)

Crazed Bengal

Haha do you have a pic?

dm_130822_RG_III_Headline.jpg

Okay, so not quite Ryu, but it is pretty funny. 

I would like to make a prediction. I predict that this thread will be USELESS once we get past the first week in September and some other topic will become as boring and over talked about as this one is.

It'll be here for awhile. We haven't just been talking about his injury in here. For the most part, it's been the "Everything RGIII" thread since spring time. Every now and then someone will drop by to discuss the injury, but this thread will keep going well into the season.

rg3 needs to stop drawing attention to himself.....

??? what are you talking about? He didnt even play the game. He wasnt even part of the game.... Fined for wearing something while warming up before a game he wasnt going to play anyways. More like the NFL is trying to make money... Im sorry Im starting to think all these fines dont go to charity at all, but back to the NFL.

Just so everyone is clear.

Adrian Peterson had his ACL surgery on December 30, 2011. His first game back was September 9, 2012. 254 days.

RG3 had his surgery on January 9, 2013. First game back is September 9, 2013. 244 days. 

I'm not convinced 10 days is the difference between reinjuring the knee and not. Running back is a much more punishing position to play than QB (check out the average duration of a starting running back's career).

Adrian Peterson had his ACL surgery on December 30, 2011. His first game back was September 9, 2012. 254 days.

RG3 had his surgery on January 9, 2013. First game back is September 9, 2013. 244 days. 

I'm not convinced 10 days is the difference between reinjuring the knee and not. Running back is a much more punishing position to play than QB (check out the average duration of a starting running back's career).

Great post. Also, Welker had ACL/MCL surgery on February 2, 2010 and played in the season opener September 12, 2010 (222 days I believe) and continued to remain healthy all season. The constant planting, cutting and hits taken by a WR weekly are far greater stress on the knee than what a QB deals with, even a runner like RG3. 

Great post. Also, Welker had ACL/MCL surgery on February 2, 2010 and played in the season opener September 12, 2010 (222 days I believe) and continued to remain healthy all season. The constant planting, cutting and hits taken by a WR weekly are far greater stress on the knee than what a QB deals with, even a runner like RG3. 

Looking at the right side of the o-line this year, I'd be more worried about his ribs and his head than his knee. There were a few plays where he got blasted in the pocket last year. Any one of those could be a 3 game/season ender. Football is a violent game. Some things you just can't avoid no matter how hard you try.

Granted I've only watched the recorded portions of RG3's warm-up before the last two games, but I'm not seeing the 'close to 100%' claims. The straight line running looks good, some boot legs, etc. But in each of the past two warm up clips I've seen, when he has to plant hard on the right knee and reverse pivot to go the other way (i.e., simulating eluding a pass rusher), the footwork looked clunky and slow - specifically off the injured right leg. I'm not knocking him at all, because his recovery has been amazing to date. Not sure if 's the brance is impeding his agility, but it did not look good. Has anyone else seen these two small bits of the video? If not I'll be happy to go back and get the minute/second in each.

Is anyone confident that he could pull the move he did last year against NYG when he scrambled out, juked Pierre-Paul outta his shorts, then hit Paulsen with a strike? Bootlegs and straight-line running are one thing, a live NFL game with gladiators trying to rip you to shreds is another. Not feeling very confident at the moment. Has anyone who has been to Training Camp or these warm-ups seen something definitively different? I'd be very happy to hear otherwise, but I only have two clips online to go off of seeing him actually cut around hard after the injury, and neither instilled much confidence that he could have the mobility to protect himself in a live game as needed.

Granted I've only watched the recorded portions of RG3's warm-up before the last two games, but I'm not seeing the 'close to 100%' claims. The straight line running looks good, some boot legs, etc. But in each of the past two warm up clips I've seen, when he has to plant hard on the right knee and reverse pivot to go the other way (i.e., simulating eluding a pass rusher), the footwork looked clunky and slow - specifically off the injured right leg. I'm not knocking him at all, because his recovery has been amazing to date. Not sure if 's the brance is impeding his agility, but it did not look good. Has anyone else seen these two small bits of the video? If not I'll be happy to go back and get the minute/second in each.

Is anyone confident that he could pull the move he did last year against NYG when he scrambled out, juked Pierre-Paul outta his shorts, then hit Paulsen with a strike? Bootlegs and straight-line running are one thing, a live NFL game with gladiators trying to rip you to shreds is another. Not feeling very confident at the moment. Has anyone who has been to Training Camp or these warm-ups seen something definitively different? I'd be very happy to hear otherwise, but I only have two clips online to go off of seeing him actually cut around hard after the injury, and neither instilled much confidence that he could have the mobility to protect himself in a live game as needed.

Funny thing is, numerous writers and fans who have been to training camps and warm-ups have indeed seen something definitively different...but those observations tend to get ignored in favor of individual perception from home viewing.

Rest assured that Mike, Kyle and Laflure (Sp? QB Coach) are watching like a hawk. They see everything. They know more than we do.  And if somebody can pick up on it while watching on TV, then they've picked up on it. They won't comment on it.  But they are seeing everything. 

I'm pretty comfortable at this point that Mike is going to do what he thinks is best for Robert.  Whether Robert likes it or not.  And if Mike doesn't think he's ready, he won't play him, even if Dr. Andrews clears him.  Robert will go completely out of his mind, but I'm pretty sure that Mike is going to do "the right thing." I also don't know that anybody knows what the right thing is yet. 

I completely agree.  Though one thing to remember is that AP did start out slower than he finished.  I also remember saying that they had to always run in one direction, because it was easier for him to cut that way because of the knee.  I think it was left, but I don't remember.  

There's also no question that he got stronger as the year progressed. 

I also don't think that if Robert starts week 1, he's going to be the same Robert that will finish in Week 17.  He'll get better through the season.

An additional point: IF he can't hurt the knee again, if it's totally stable, and he's healthy, but still needs to get confidence and strength, then I'd personally prefer that he goes ahead and plays, in order to get the reps and the confidence.  But if he's increasing his chance at injury, I wouldn't let him in the stadium.  Maybe not even the state.  

Yeah.  And Welker didn't look like he really was effected at all. Of course, it's tough to tell.  He wasn't the fastest guy, or the shiftiest.  He just knew exactly where to be and how to get there, and Brady, being a Jedi Master, would get him the ball. 

Tore the LCL, and got the bore sights on the old ACL repair at Baylor redone, because it was deemed "Unstable" or "Too loose". It's been discussed quite a bit in here over the course of the spring/summer, and numerous posters such as myself have wondered whether or not that affects/shortens his recovery time since it wasn't torn, but since none of us are doctors, we don't really know. We do know definitively, that he did not tear it though.

I wish we could flash this in front of everyone who comes into this thread so that they know the reality of his surgery and stop comparing him to AP. AP actually tore his ACL while RG3 didn't. I'd like to send this post out to all the sportswriters and fans as a national press release.

What if I am not even at work and just came to the store to shop ...with a dick's sporting goods tshirt on.....should i be fired for that?

Yes. And, in fact, the wife of one of my colleagues works for Exxon/Mobil, and he told me that they have fired executives for buying gas at competitors' gas stations to save a few cents a gallon. Companies have to protect their brand.

I feel a lot like Goldskinner.  I think he's stated his position very well, and I concur with it.  Nothing would make me happier than Griff coming back opening night and going on to have a year like AP.  I just have a gnawing fear that it might just be to early. 

If he passes all the tests they require and has had 0 setbacks or swelling, what else do you want? Just to sit our best player just because?

I don't think we have to worry!

Yeah, I remember people wondering if he'd gained a little weight in the offseason wen he showed up for OTA's, but I think this video confirms it. Maybe it's just your typical season entering weight that goes down once you start taking a beating, but it definitely looks like he may have gaines about 5-6 pounds.

Side note... Our jerseys look so much more vicious with white cleats. I really wish we'd stayed with white in '06

If he passes all the tests they require and has had 0 setbacks or swelling, what else do you want? Just to sit our best player just because?

To me the history of similar recoveries is relevant. AP is an outlier not the norm. Griff may be the same, maybe not, but with the future of the franchise in the balance I would air on the side of caution.

To me the history of similar recoveries is relevant. AP is an outlier not the norm. Griff may be the same, maybe not, but with the future of the franchise in the balance I would air on the side of caution.

If he's cleared by the doctors to play, then it's time to play (unless Shanahan thinks he's still rusty). That begs the question though. What if the only thing keeping him off the field (assuming he is cleared) for MNF is rust? How does Shanahan tell this to the press without it becoming another BS media firestorm. Does he tell the truth and (in the media's eyes) throw Robert under the bus, essentially saying that he wasn't inspiring confidence in his workouts/practices? Or does he BS it and create an even bigger story ala McNabb? Interesting, to say the least. I bet those cats over at the WaPo are probably salivating at the thought.

But anyways, back to your post: If he passes all of the doctors tests, and is cleared to play, and isn't on the field week 1, it had better be because he's rusty. It's not Mike's place to err on the side of caution in that scenario, unless he wants to be looking for work soon. Jobs and careers are on the line when you start talking about the difference between wins and losses. You can never be 100% safe in football. Ever. Yes, it's up to players to protect themselves at all times, but you can't stop freak injuries... That is unless people want to start a campaign where money is raised to encase Robert in carbonite for 3 years.

IBut anyways, back to your post: If he passes all of the doctors tests, and is cleared to play, and isn't on the field week 1, it had better be because he's rusty. It's not Mike's place to err on the side of caution in that scenario, unless he wants to be looking for work soon. Jobs and careers are on the line when you start talking about the difference between wins and losses. You can never be 100% safe in football. Ever. Yes, it's up to players to protect themselves at all times, but you can't stop freak injuries... That is unless people want to start a campaign where money is raised to encase Robert in carbonite for 3 years.

I get my position is highly unpopular.  I'm not saying Snyder should do this, just that if I was the owner this might be a junction that I step in on and take the pressure of the coach.  I hope all of you are right and he goes out there week one tears it up and never looks back.  I want him to be our QB or the next 10 years or more. This just feels rushed to me, also I don't trust Robert to tell me if he feels anything unusual in the knee.  Which makes up a part of the DR releasing him to play. 

but your desire to delay his return is arbitrary.  it's not based on anything medical or visual or evaluatory.  it's just free-floating fear.  it's simply taking what the experts have recommended and adding X to it in order to look more cautious than the next guy.  it doesn't really serve any purpose or come from anywhere logical.

but your desire to delay his return is arbitrary.  it's not based on anything medical or visual or evaluatory.  it's just free-floating fear.  it's simply taking what the experts have recommended and adding X to it in order to look more cautious than the next guy.  it doesn't really serve any purpose or come from anywhere logical.

Well it's not in order to look more cautious, it's in order to be more cautious.  I might think different if I could I was a person in position to talk to the doctors, I don't know.  It's just everything I've seen on ACL revision surgery makes me go for caution above all else.

Agree entirely,

it's almost comical at this point when someone claims that they should hold him out just for the sake of holding him out for a few more games.

If he is ready to play you play him. Period. 

Archived