Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kyle would like to be a HC

Chachie

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8810610/kyle-shanahan-washington-redskins-offensive-coordinator-wants-head-coach

ASHBURN, Va. -- Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan says he's "definitely" interested in exploring head coaching opportunities once Washington's season is over.

Shanahan could be a candidate for one or more of the seven NFL openings based on his successful season molding a creative offense around rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

More at link..

This would be the worst thing this guy could do to himself IMO. He has his QB, he needs to stay here and take the job when his dad leaves. I would thoroughly pissed off if he ditched us over the offseason.....

You should take the opportunities while you have them and strike while the iron is hot. What if Mike wants to coach 5 more years, is Kyle supposed to wait while all these other jobs go by the wayside? There's no guarantees.

You should take the opportunities while you have them and strike while the iron is hot. What if Mike wants to coach 5 more years, is Kyle supposed to wait while all these other jobs go by the wayside? There's no guarantees.

Kyle is 33 years old. He could coach griffin for 10 years then go get a head coaching job. Plus Snyder has never been afraid to pay assistants head coaching money. Kyle will be here next year.

This would be the worst thing this guy could do to himself IMO. He has his QB, he needs to stay here and take the job when his dad leaves.
Kyle has proven that he can game plan and call plays with any QB when he commanded Cousins to a win against the Browns.

Not to say that Cousins is just any player.:)

He never said he would like to be a HC this off-season, just that he would like to one day.

He'd be silly to walk away from this offense, and if he DID, who would Shanny Sr bring in to run the offense?

I think RG3 can run any offense, but Kyle's creativity is definitely worth keeping around for the long haul. I was really hoping we could keep some level of continuity with this staff, if not with the Head man, at least with the coordinators, and position coaches.

I'm fine with this. People wanted nothing to do with Kyle Shanahan until Robert Griffin III came into the picture. RG3 is a great player and would be a great player even if Rex Grossman (hyperbole) was the OC. If Kyle Shanahan goes I won't lose any sleep over it. Sucks that Rg3 would have to learn a new system but he is a smart dude.

With that being said I am sure Mike Shanahan told him to put this out just to increase the $$ he can get from Snyder on a extension.

Where are all the people who said"

"OMG why would Kyle leave? Are you crazy??! He would be nuts to leave Rg3 here and our young talent BLAH BLAH"

Hilarious. Some of you fans are just extreme homers. Some of you need to realize, as I said in the other thread, it doesnt matter who he has here, if a coordinator gets a job offer as a head coach 9/10 he is taking it. He doesnt care if he is leaving Tom Brady to go coach Blaine Gabbert, hes going to take it, because its HIS team then. This is what I told everyone, but everyone thought I was crazy.

Edit:

By the way, Ive been a Kyle supporter since he took Houston to the top in the offensive category. Kyle is a great coach, he has fire, and hes freaking SMART. If Kyle leaves, we may be in for a bit of a down year, we must keep Kyle, Danny needs to open up the wallet.

Kyle is 33 years old. He could coach griffin for 10 years then go get a head coaching job. Plus Snyder has never been afraid to pay assistants head coaching money. Kyle will be here next year.

Getting paid head coaching money isn't the same as BEING the head coach.

Getting paid head coaching money isn't the same as BEING the head coach.

This.

People need to understand, its not the money (even though thats the best weapon in keeping him here), but its the principle. Any football coach has a dream to be a HC of an NFL team, if he gets an offer, he WILL take it. The only hope we have is that Snyder offers him a crap ton of money so he doesnt answer his phone for interviews.

It would not be wise of him to separate himself from Robert Griffin III. He should ride this train for a while. Cause if he leaves, no one is going to give up that spot.

People have given up better spots now and will in the future. If I was a head coach I would want all my assistants to become Head coaches when they could. I wouldnt want a guy under me that wasnt hungry and was fine with being an OC for 5 years.

Players>System we will be fine if Kyle leaves

Kyle needs to be careful. Head coaching gigs are traps as often as they are opportunities. When the Jags or Browns have an opening, does anyone really see that as their big opportunity, besides maybe Holmgren? You usually want to avoid places that are old, lacking in a QB, or just generally requiring a rebuild. That's a recipe for disaster, because most coaches get 2 years, 3 tops to turn things around. Very few coaches get 4 years to turn a team around, so without a solid QB and some other solid pieces if is very difficult.

The head coaching gigs that are available are the Cards, Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Browns, Bills, and Bears. Cards, Chiefs, Eagles, Browns, and Bills all have QB problems. Chiefs do have the #1 pick, but neither Geno Smith nor Matt Barkley are guarantees like RGIII or Luck, and for that matter Reid got the job anyway. Now, the Chargers do have Rivers, but he seems to be fading fast.

If Kyle could somehow get the Bears job, that'd be a good one, since Cutler is still a franchise QB, and I think with a little more focus on their Oline and maybe adding a TE their offense could be really dangerous. Problem is, they're interviewing a bunch of people already, and wouldn't be surprised if somebody got the job before he could get the chance.

Anywhere else besides the Bears though could be problematic.

Kyle has a QB here, and if he is in line to get the spot in 2-4 years, he should stay. Inheriting the HC job in a few years with a 25 or 26 year old franchise QB is a dream, all he has to do if be patient.

It would not be wise of him to separate himself from Robert Griffin III. He should ride this train for a while. Cause if he leaves, no one is going to give up that spot.

I think he'd be able to to survive as a play caller without RG3, plenty of talented QBs out there and coming in the draft, his offense would surely be missed here, I know how much we hate changing coordinators year after yeah.

Archived