Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3's availability will be decided by Redskins doctor UPDATE: RGIII CLEARED TO START VS EAGLES!!!

brandymac27

The eagles are 4-10, they are no better than the Browns. If Cousins plays like he did on Sunday, we can give RG3 the proper rest he needs for the much tougher Dallas game.
No joke. Came home late from work and I was like WTH.... This thread should not have been bumped.

For real! My 1st thought was Oh dear Lawd hep us! Here we go again lol

I firmly believe that RG3 could have played last game against the Browns..... Didnt you guys watch the highlights of him warming up?? He was looking like the RG3 I have been watching all year. Coach was just being overly cautious with him so he didnt injure it worse for these last games. Honestly there is no dought in my mind that he will be on the field on Sunday!!!

Griffin definitely could have played vs Cleveland, but the coaching staff saw an opportunity and seized it: they knew they had a vulnerable opponent and could showcase Cousins. The result? Cousins put up more yards than Griffin has all year, and, Matt Flynn-style, we'll be able to get a 2nd-round pick (at least) for him in the offseason. That can be a new starting safety, a new cornerback, whatever. Great, gutsy move by the coaching staff.

Griffin definitely could have played vs Cleveland, but the coaching staff saw an opportunity and seized it: they knew they had a vulnerable opponent and could showcase Cousins. The result? Cousins put up more yards than Griffin has all year, and, Matt Flynn-style, we'll be able to get a 2nd-round pick (at least) for him in the offseason. That can be a new starting safety, a new cornerback, whatever. Great, gutsy move by the coaching staff.

I'm not sure if one game alone against the hapless Browns is sufficient in convincing other teams to surrender a 2nd round pick for him. A repeat performance, against a division opponent, however...

I'm not sure if one game alone against the hapless Browns is sufficient in convincing other teams to surrender a 2nd round pick for him. A repeat performance, against a division opponent, however...

Yea but at the same time, if I'm the Redskins I'm not in the business of trying to flip KC for a draft pick. I'm in the business of giving my team the best shot to make the post season and that starts with RG3 playing this week

I believe RG lll will demand to play and that he should play this week if he is healthy. Sitting him out for too long could make him rusty and hurt the momentum we've got once we put him back in (see Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers).

RG lll needs to play and the Eagles should not be taken lightly. Play him.

I believe RG lll will demand to play and that he should play this week if he is healthy. Sitting him out for too long could make him rusty and hurt the momentum we've got once we put him back in (see Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers).

:applause:

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 11:10 AM ----------

btw, what time is practice today? When she we start seeing tweets about how RG3 looks out there?

I agree (assuming a healthy knee, which I do) We have to beat the Eagles in order to make the Dallas game count. RG3 should give us the greatest chance to do that, and I would not want to start a rusty QB in the biggest game of the season at FedEx. Keep Griff sharp!

Cousins is worth more than a 2nd rounder to us for a couple of reasons and it would be a very big mistake to give him up this offseason for anything short of a 1st rounder (which we will not get):

1) RG3 still takes more hits than your typical NFL QB. And not just hits, he tends to take a lot of pretty vicious hits. He has shown this year that we have need for a capable backup, both for spot duty and to fill in for an entire game or so. We have more reason to believe RG3 will miss a game or two per year than to believe he will be healthy for all 16.

2) Cousins value, if this past game was not a fluke (which I don't think it was), will only go up in these instances when he gets playing time.

There are many examples every year of how poor backup QB's are around the league. It would be foolish to give up a good one so early and rest all our hopes on RG3 staying healthy. We have a known (or at least semi-known) value in Cousins and that value is immense. Giving him up for a 2nd round pick that could be a hit or miss and placing our faith in a 33 year old Rex Grossman next year, or some other backup that's less talented than Cousins, is a poor choice, in my opinion.

Continue to develop him, let him get more film next preseason and fill in if RG3 needs it next year, and then perhaps trade him the following offseason for a 1st rounder. If we continue to follow this path next year and are indeed a contender for a division title and even a super bowl (talking about next year), having a capable backup that will stop the sink from completely sinking should RG3 have an injury is absolutely essential. I think it was proven against the Browns on Sunday that a capable backup QB may be just as valuable to us right now as a new 2nd round safety or corner, even if they did end up a starter.

Good post Moondog. I agree with your assessment that we need to keep Cousins for one more year. Some of our fans are just ridiculous with wanting to trade everyone. We scream year after year, "WE HAVE NO DEPTH," but the moment a backup shows any sign of good play, we want to ship him out for "picks." We're not the Patriots or Packers. We have not built up enough long term depth to be able to just start sending guys to other teams. Plus, how many damn picks do we need? Despite giving away our 1st rounder, we have 8 picks in this draft. There are only so many positions for the draft picks to fill. While I like that we have been able to go into the past couple of drafts with a good amount of picks for once, I'd rather have quality over quantity any day. Shanahan and Allen have shown they get make quality picks.

If RG3 is healthy, he plays, period. You put the best players on the field and that means playing RG3. When teams do sit their starters, its for meaningless games once playoffs and home field adv. are clinched, not when your playoff chances rely on the final two games that are also within your division.

128px-Thumb_Bane.jpg

When Redskins lead 50-0, then you have my permission to play Cousins

Some of our fans are just ridiculous with wanting to trade everyone. We scream year after year, "WE HAVE NO DEPTH," but the moment a backup shows any sign of good play, we want to ship him out for "picks."

This. I was about to say the same thing in the Is Orakpo Expendable thread. Screw that. Keep all the depth and trade them when we have to. Screw the picks...

We need RG3 to play, and to play well. I'm already slightly concerned that one week off, plus whatever knee limitations he might have, will cause our offense to be a little out of sync. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few "awkward" looking plays on Sunday until we get back into the swing of it. Hopefully, we won't leave the door open for the Philth.

Momentum is a weird, strange, and very real thing. We've got it right now. If we can leave that **** hole on Sunday with RG3 feeling good, and our team feeling good...Dallsux could very well walk into a buzzsaw next weekend.

We need RG3 to play, and to play well. I'm already slightly concerned that one week off, plus whatever knee limitations he might have, will cause our offense to be a little out of sync. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few "awkward" looking plays on Sunday until we get back into the swing of it. Hopefully, we won't leave the door open for the Philth.

Momentum is a weird, strange, and very real thing. We've got it right now. If we can leave that **** hole on Sunday with RG3 feeling good, and our team feeling good...Dallsux could very well walk into a buzzsaw next weekend.

IA, just like last week, the offense will probably get off to a slow start when RG3 comes back, isn't it better for that to be next week than against Dallas

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

QB Robert Griffin III is practicing with the team today. He moved around fine in position drills. Hard to say if he's favoring right knee.

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

@katie11074 I do think he'll play, but I also thought he'd play vs. Cleveland. And I do think they'll keep us guessing.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

#Redskins practice update: Robert Griffin was on the field for practice, took part in positional drills. We'll see how much he participates.

Greg Glasson ‏@GJGlasson

RT @ZacBoyer: #Redskins' Griffin, Montgomery and Polumbus all practiced during the first 20 minutes this morning. All looked fine.

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo

We'll find out later from Shanahan how much Griffin, Montgomery were able to do. Polumbus hasn't likely completed concussion monitor program

John Keim ‏@john_keim

The key for #RG3 will be how much work he does during full-team sessions. Won't know that until later.

We need RG3 out there against the Eagles. We would beat them Kirk cousins, it is just I don't want RG3 playing cold against a Cowboys team ready to win the division. I rather him play cold against the Eagles and make his mistakes in that game. We need to play out best ball against the Cowboys.

Archived