Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3's availability will be decided by Redskins doctor UPDATE: RGIII CLEARED TO START VS EAGLES!!!

brandymac27

RG3 still sounds really irritated that he was sat last week. If he was hindered, I think he is man enough to get over it by now. Sorry but I trust RG3, not 2 doctors on Mike's payroll you cant name.

He was back at full practice only 8 days after the injury. Fast healer, or was he simply held back in a knee jerk reaction to seeing the nasty looking leg whip on Ngatas back. I am thinking it was the latter, and thus the doctor was needed to make the call so there was no heat on Mike in what I see would have been a scrutinized move had we lost the game.

As a Skins fan, I would be hesitant to give up even a good backup QB after having such poor QB play for so many years. Not having a quality QB has wasted some very good Redskins defenses over the years.

I think the x-factor to this decision is that ability to get similar production from the next guy on the depth chart. On one hand, I would assume that what Cousins did last week was far and away a better outing than Grossman could have. However, he did it with better talent around him than he had last year (Garcon, Morgan, Morris, etc.). So, if we believed that Grossman could do something similar to what Cousins did, then I'd be comfortable trading Cousins for value. If not, I think it's wise to hold onto him until you have that commodity behind him.

A couple other notes:

1) I believe that we'd need to trade Cousins sometime before the trade deadline of 2014. After that, he'd be on the last year of his rookie contract and the value we'd get back might drop.

2) An ideal long-term backup to RG3 is slightly older QB who had his shot to start and is content to be a mentor/2-game-per-year fill in for the next several years. In some ways, Rex is the perfect backup if he can perform at a high level.

:applause: that's awesome news

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 05:43 PM ----------

i believe that's from yesterday before RG3 had a full practice and said his piece today

Moondog,

I agree with you. Cousins is proving to be a very capable backup. Every team needs a good or great backup QB if it wants to keep winning when the starter is out. Cousins is directly responsible for two critical wins. I would only part with him if the offer is simply too good to refuse, such as two very high draft picks. Until RG3 proves he can avoid big hits on a consistent basis, the Redskins should keep Cousins at least until the end of next year.

As a Skins fan, I would be hesitant to give up even a good backup QB after having such poor QB play for so many years. Not having a quality QB has wasted some very good Redskins defenses over the years.

Agreed. Obviously there are always exceptions. If a team came to us with an offer of two 2nd rounders (both of them THIS for this upcoming draft - and I'm not sure any team that needs a QB has two 2nds) or a 1st round pick, it would have to be strongly considered, especially with a player like Tyrann Mathieu entering the draft at a position of need and he'll probably be had at a very high value place in the draft.

That being said, I very seriously doubt we will be offered two 2nds or a 1st so it's kind of a mull point. I don't think we will be offered anything that is even close to the value he represents to this team and I'm very certain we will need him at some point next year.

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III (knee) was back on the practice field Thursday and practiced in full for a second straight day. Griffin sat out Week 15 with an LCL sprain and is hopeful to return Week 16 at Philadelphia. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he doesn't know if Griffin is 100 percent yet, but he will be given the choice to wear a knee brace if he plays Sunday. Coach Mike Shanahan said Griffin has yet to be cleared by the doctors, but is confident he will suit up Sunday. "If there's no setbacks, he should be able to go," Shanahan said.

(Updated 12/20/12)

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1620788/robert-griffin-iii

If Mike really wanted to be precautious as he seemingly was just 3 days ago, the risk of re-injury that high, I think 3 should have been cleared before the full practice.

I know I know, we are just messing with the Eagles.

I mean, Mike just said if there are no set backs he's gonna go. It's a safe bet that he'll play at this point IMO

Archived