Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3's availability will be decided by Redskins doctor UPDATE: RGIII CLEARED TO START VS EAGLES!!!

brandymac27

David Elfin ‏@davidelfin

As expected, #RGIII was on the practice field taking snaps 4 #Redskins after sitting out last week with sprained right knee.

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN

RG3, Montgomery and Polumbus were all on the field for prax. Shanahan will tell us later how much they participated. #Redskins #RedskinsTalk

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Andy Reid on RGIII: "The league is lucky to have him. He's a good person and a good football player and that's good for everybody."

Let's say those fibers haven't healed, or as I suspect, they are too minuscule for the doctor to actually be able to see that they have healed fully, and decides to go by the book and thinks two weeks of sitting out games is in order.

Cousins gets his second start, and posts a perfect passer rating.

Isn't it somewhat common for NFL coaches to stick with the backup in that situation.

I know I know its RG3 and everything is different in this situation.

Or, is it. Is Mike that predictable?

And you thought there would be no controversy when he was drafted ;)

We can hope for that luxury. Or, should we.

Quarterback Robert Griffin III moved fine on his mildly sprained right knee at Redskins practice Wednesday morning.

Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to elaborate on the extent of Griffin's participation in practice after the session concludes around 1:45 p.m.

Griffin hopes to play Sunday's road game against the Philadelphia Eagles. Team doctors held him out of last Sunday's 38-21 victory over the Cleveland Browns.

Griffin moved fine during the brief period of practice open to media. He planted on his injured right leg and threw a variety of passes, as he did last week. He also practiced rolling out.

Center Will Montgomery (injured left knee MCL) and right tackle Tyler Polumbus (concussion) were in uniform and at least joined the team for stretching. Inside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander wore a gold non-contact jersey.

Shanahan is expected to elaborate on the extent of all of those players' participation after practice.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/dec/19/robert-griffin-iii-practices-team-wednesday-mornin/

Let's say those fibers haven't healed, or as I suspect, they are too minuscule for the doctor to actually be able to see that they have healed fully, and decides to go by the book and thinks two weeks of sitting out games is in order.

Cousins gets his second start, and posts a perfect passer rating.

Isn't it somewhat common for NFL coaches to stick with the backup in that situation.

I know I know its RG3 and everything is different in this situation.

Or, is it. Is Mike that predictable?

And you thought there would be no controversy when he was drafted ;)

We can hope for that luxury. Or, should we.

Ummm... no way in hell should we be pushing for that outcome. Just ask the Jets.

BTW: I say we get the Eagles thinking they will be facing Cousins this week and then throw RGIII in at the last possible minute. :evilg:

Greg Glasson ‏@GJGlasson

RT @ZacBoyer: #Redskins' Griffin, Montgomery and Polumbus all practiced during the first 20 minutes this morning. All looked fine.

John Keim ‏@john_keim

OK: RG3, Montgomery, Polumbus all worked during open session to media. Remember, RG3 did same last week.

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN

RG3, Montgomery and Polumbus were all on the field for prax. Shanahan will tell us later how much they participated. #Redskins #RedskinsTalk

Thats what I want to hear. Good news on all 3. Lets have a good week of practice and be ready to go come gametime Sunday. Thanks for posting Brandy.

Good post Moondog. I agree with your assessment that we need to keep Cousins for one more year. Some of our fans are just ridiculous with wanting to trade everyone. We scream year after year, "WE HAVE NO DEPTH," but the moment a backup shows any sign of good play, we want to ship him out for "picks." We're not the Patriots or Packers. We have not built up enough long term depth to be able to just start sending guys to other teams. Plus, how many damn picks do we need? Despite giving away our 1st rounder, we have 8 picks in this draft. There are only so many positions for the draft picks to fill. While I like that we have been able to go into the past couple of drafts with a good amount of picks for once, I'd rather have quality over quantity any day. Shanahan and Allen have shown they get make quality picks.

According to the reasoning of many fans, we need to trade:

1) Brian Orakpo

2) DeAngelo Hall

3) Adam Carriker

4) RG3

Let's get rid of several of the important or key pieces to our team because guys behind them on the depth chart have performed admirably in their stead. Well, we don't like DeAngelo Hall's attitude, and for that matter Pierre Garcon needs to go to because he spins the ball rather than being Art Monk reincarnate. Looks like Riley is good and Keenan Robinson was coming along nicely so let's cut Fletcher or trade him next year when Robinson's healthy again.

Guess what guys, depth is a good thing. Jackson playing well is a good thing. Do these people REALLY think our defense would be playing worse right now or that we'd have lost games if Orakpo was playing and not Jackson? Let's just trade RG3 to recover some random picks because Cousins was clearly capable of playing at a high level when he came in for him.

Orakpo is the better player just like Cousins is the better player. Guess what, I could make an argument for Cousins because he led us to a blow out win and threw for over 300 yards which is pretty rare for RG3. And look, Cousins completed ~70% of his passes too! It's not the stats guys. Or always the end result. Watch them play. Watch the players around them and the schemes they are running and why/how they are running them with the personnel they have on the field. The fact is, all the guys I listed are very talented players that make our team better when they are in the game. If we unfortunately had to let Jackson walk, or even if he stayed and saw limited playing time, we are a better defense and team with Orakpo on the field if he is healthy.

You add Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, Tanard Jackson and even Keenan Robinson back our defense next year, and you think about all the valuable experience Jarvis Jenkins and Rob Jackson have earned...if they are all here next year and we add some pieces in the secondary and perhaps offensive line plus Helu Jr. coming back, this is a very scary team with a LOT of weapons to rotate in and out on offense AND defense. You don't get better by getting rid of key pieces. Orakpo not having to play EVERY snap because we have a guy like Jackson, or even getting them on the field at the same time is a GOOD thing. It's how good teams win. But don't sit here and think for one second Jackson is the better player because he's made some impact plays and then completely push every impactful play out of your mind that Orakpo has made.

Still stuck on Orakpo's Raiders game in 09? Please, that is the last game I would ever use to talk about how good Orakpo is. Get real man.

Ummm... no way in hell should we be pushing for that outcome. Just ask the Jets.

BTW: I say we get the Eagles thinking they will be facing Cousins this week and then throw RGIII in at the last possible minute. :evilg:

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: ols: :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

You just compared our QB situation to the Jets. OMFG. KC1 is Tebow? Sanchez is freaking RG3? Holy **** balls. Thanks for the laugh

And as far as the thread, the Health of our QB will be determined by a doctor? That's crazy.

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

According to the reasoning of many fans, we need to trade:

1) Brian Orakpo

2) DeAngelo Hall

3) Adam Carriker

4) RG3.

I think we are just suppose to cut Hall, not trade him. I'm not sure. I think him being on the roster insults the fans. :D

This. I was about to say the same thing in the Is Orakpo Expendable thread. Screw that. Keep all the depth and trade them when we have to. Screw the picks...

I agree that depth is important, but not at the expense of starters. If the skins can get a high 2nd round pick and a future pick, then getting the RT/CB/S help we need might be more important. Much depends on what is offered and what we need. Cousins shouldn't go just because we get an offer.

If we could get a trade like Matt Schaub to the Texans would you do it? Maybe two 2nds and a 4th (A bump from 32 to __ spot that needs the QB is too much ;)).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

I think it's in our best interest to wait another year, drop Grossman, get another development pick 4-6 round range and see what happens, so I'm mostly playing devils advocate. If Shanny feels comfortable with a new guy next year, I'd be fine with him getting some solid value from KC.

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 02:39 PM ----------

I think we are just suppose to cut Hall, not trade him. I'm not sure. I think him being on the roster insults the fans. :D

If Hall is on the roster next year for the 8.3 million in his contract I will be upset. He has about a 2 year/17mill deal with no guarantees. I think most can agree that 8% of our remaining cap money can't go to him.

Cousins is worth more than a 2nd rounder to us for a couple of reasons and it would be a very big mistake to give him up this offseason for anything short of a 1st rounder (which we will not get):

Moondog,

I agree with you. Cousins is proving to be a very capable backup. Every team needs a good or great backup QB if it wants to keep winning when the starter is out. Cousins is directly responsible for two critical wins. I would only part with him if the offer is simply too good to refuse, such as two very high draft picks. Until RG3 proves he can avoid big hits on a consistent basis, the Redskins should keep Cousins at least until the end of next year.

As a Skins fan, I would be hesitant to give up even a good backup QB after having such poor QB play for so many years. Not having a quality QB has wasted some very good Redskins defenses over the years.

Archived