Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3's availability will be decided by Redskins doctor UPDATE: RGIII CLEARED TO START VS EAGLES!!!

brandymac27

Becuse at point there was no MRi that showed he had a sprained ligament. Player comes off - stretches a bit, Docs do some stability tests, player says I'm good to go and back in he goes. Then when he goes back in it turns out he can't go and he has to come out this time for good. It happens all the time.

Orakpo went back in after he tore his pec found he couldn't function and them went on IR during the next week. By your logic he should have been starting the week after.

I really hope RGIiI is good to go but all reports are that there is significant doubt and he really is a game time decision.

Cept there is one big difference. In RG3's case, after coming out the second time and getting examined on the table Andrews actually CLEARED him to go back in and play in OT. However, Coach and other decided against it. RG3 has never been a true game time decision this is all gamesmanship. RG3 will start.

Do you realize this man performs pretty much all the surgeries for the top guys in every major sport? He just did Derek Jeter's most recent one. I'm sure he's not on the sidelines because of the money. He must be a diehard Redskins fan. Can't believe I've never heard that mentioned before though.

He's under the employment of the team, as team doctor. He can work on players from other teams and other sports, but officially, he's a team doctor for the 'Skins. Dan pays him.

I believe that this was a Gibbs move in 2004 when he came back.

One thought I have on Griffin's playing status is this: if he were to sit, it might actually help in the long run. He obviously didn't learn much from the Atlanta game. Him having to sit a game (or games) might finally get him to realize that he has to do a better job of sliding earlier, or running out of bounds when the opportunity is there. This is really the only knock I have on the guy.

This is complete bull**** (and I like you as a poster). Griffin has been WAY more careful with his scrambles since the Falcons game, only taking risks when the game is absolutely on the line, as it was when he took the hit that sprained his knee.

This is all a stare-down with the Cleveland coaching staff. I think Shanny is playing this perfectly... look how confused we all are! I think it helps when you have players bought in and with the intelligence to deliver your message to the media. HTTR!

You nailed it!

This is complete bull**** (and I like you as a poster). Griffin has been WAY more careful with his scrambles since the Falcons game, only taking risks when the game is absolutely on the line, as it was when he took the hit the sprained his knee.

I agree with you here. He has already shown growth in this piece of his game.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 05:08 PM ----------

You nailed it!

Did you also notice how well Cousins presented the information? I was impressed with how in tune the two QBs were this week. That's a lot to put on a pair of rookies, one of whom is eager for playing time.

So the real question here is: What is the risk of further injury if you play with a grade 1 LCL sprain? If the answer is none, then RG3 plays. IF the answer is that there is significant risk, then we will see Cousins.

Seems like a smart decision to me to let the doctors decide.

This is all a stare-down with the Cleveland coaching staff. I think Shanny is playing this perfectly... look how confused we all are! I think it helps when you have players bought in and with the intelligence to deliver your message to the media. HTTR!

i have a feeling he will start Rex tomorrow for a few drives in 1st quarter. then go straight to Cousins. Then back to Rex. Back to cousins. Back to Rex. Back to Cousins. Then BOOM!!! Rex and RG3 switch jerseys, RG3 goes into the game, fakes a handoff to Moriss, and runs all the way down the field for a TD!!!

Haha. It can work in reverse too depending on what type of fan he is.(i.e.. he may be more concerned with protecting Robert for the future)

Yes I agree with you.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

i have a feeling he will start Rex tomorrow for a few drives in 1st quarter. then go straight to Cousins. Then back to Rex. Back to cousins. Back to Rex. Back to Cousins. Then BOOM!!! Rex and RG3 switch jerseys, RG3 goes into the game, fakes a handoff to Moriss, and runs all the way down the field for a TD!!!

I'm assuming he'll be wearing a fat suit and beige colored make-up on his face and arms as well?!? Haha... good thing you had him running, otherwise, since he was wearing Rex's jersey, he would inevitable have thrown a red zone INT.

Collective...grooooan!

Yes I agree with you.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

I'm assuming he'll be wearing a fat suit and beige colored make-up on his face and arms as well?!? Haha... good thing you had him running, otherwise, since he was wearing Rex's jersey, he would inevitable have thrown a red zone INT.

Collective...grooooan!

aahaha yeahh didnt really think that one out... :(

He's under the employment of the team, as team doctor. He can work on players from other teams and other sports, but officially, he's a team doctor for the 'Skins. Dan pays him.

I believe that this was a Gibbs move in 2004 when he came back.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that Dan doesn't pay him. The OP made it sound as if he's only on the sidelines because of the money he's getting.

So the real question here is: What is the risk of further injury if you play with a grade 1 LCL sprain? If the answer is none, then RG3 plays. IF the answer is that there is significant risk, then we will see Cousins.

Seems like a smart decision to me to let the doctors decide.

It really depends on how it responds pretty much. If it's very minor, no swelling, no interaction with joint function you can theoretically play a day or two after. If it's significantly swollen, causing knee instability, and painful, then you probably won't play for 2-4 weeks if not more.

Pretty much will be an on the spot assessment and looking at him moving on Sunday morning.

I sure hope the doctor knows about the NFL playoff scenarios

I for one don't like the doctor having sole discretion of the decision. I think the player's pain threshold is not easily measurable. I feel like a coach can see if a player is playing up to speed. The doctor is needed to advise about the likelihood, or ramification of re-injury. primarily.

If Mike is as deceptive as many seem, the doctor deciding is also a lie.

If nothing is torn in his knee I wonder what exactly is a doctor going to base his decision off of. Is getting an MRI at 11am in Cleveland? Is it swelling that they are measuring?

Probably assess the ligaments with manual testing, and then have him move around on it.

I'm not sure why everyone is thinking he is going to reinjure it if he plays. LCL prevents medial torque on the leg, and he CAN wear a brace to prevent that from occurring. It will just mean he likely loses a step or two running and whatever pain inhibits the knee.

But we know he is deadly accurate and our run game is good anyway. He doesn't need the extra step, and it's unlikely that they'll call those plays anyway. Keeping a brace on which limits the torquing motions while playing would 99+% prevent any further damage from occurring to the LCL.

My guess is that it will likely be a matter of pain tolerance for him to play if they opt for him to wear a brace.... AKA will the pain prevent him from doing his drop backs, handoffs, and otherwise running the offense efficiently and/or if the doc clears him does the team think that he wouldn't be as good enough compared to Cousins play.

Archived