Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: After school shooting in Connecticut, Piers Morgan blasts America’s ‘gun madness’

PCS

Where did you come up with that strict definition?

their power to err is moderated by the other branches, but most certainly exists

http://books.google.com/books?id=vgQdAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA57&lpg=RA4-PA57&dq=supreme+court+%22power+to+err%22&source=bl&ots=uU3LSlcWYM&sig=q7DihVe6etbmOUaJszU6x665gG0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PvbaUO72DoGT0QH_0IBo&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=supreme%20court%20%22power%20to%20err%22&f=false

BTW, when was the last time SCOTUS was over-ruled? Congress can change the law to adjust it to meet the ruling of SCOTUS but they cannot overrule SCOTUS without a Constitutional amendment and I'm trying o figure out when the last time SCOTUS was overruled via Constitutional amendment. Given the current state of affairs in our country I'd argue that the Separation of Powers that was intended is all but dead since SCOTUS has the defacto final authority.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

Great idea, piss off MORE people with guns.

Newspaper Publishes Gun Owners’ Names and Addresses

A newspaper in New York has received a wave of criticism from its readers after publishing the names and addresses of all of the individuals with handgun or pistol permits in its coverage area.

Hundreds of residents in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties were surprised to find their names and addresses listed on a map posted by The Journal News on Sunday. Users can click any dot on the map to see which of their neighbors has a permit for a gun.

The map sparked more than 500 comments from readers within a day of its appearance on the website, many of them voicing outrage at the paper’s decision to make the information public.

“This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this. This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should i hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun? I am canceling my subscription with your paper today!!!” said commenter Curtis Maenza.

Click on the link for the full article

I happen to know a few pissed off people on that list. One being a ~92yr old lady who I used to live across the street from.

Holy crap what on EARTH would make them think this helps anything?

I mean other than the massive unconscionable UNAMERICAN invasion of privacy that it is, what is the end game? what do they hope to accomplish with this? What purpose was in mind? Did they think this through at all?

(If ONE person on their list is harassed, they ought to be charged with as many incitement crimes as the book holds.)

I swear, the idiocy that is overwhelming this country is UNBELIEVABLE.

Wave upojn wave of dumb, stupid ignorance just piling up everywhere. It's like our sewer is backed up.

What the **** happened to SENSE? Maturity? even a little wisdom?

Why don't we seem to have it any more?

~Bang

This cartoon is ridiculously stupid and short-sighted.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Listen

I don't like Call Of Duty or most violent video games like BloodStorm or Blood Bowl or whatever they make now

But I can tell you that there is no positive link that playing violent video games makes one a killer. I'm not going to go outside and steal a jet plane because I saw it on GTA V. The mere suggestion of any link between violent video games and violent behavior is absolutely, positively ludicrous.

You cannot say that

Control the guns for all I care, deal with mental health...but don't blame it on the media. Don't blame it on violent video games, music, et cetera, because we've heard that excuse so many times before. And we've debunked that flimsy excuse time and time again.

Now you have teachers bringing in loaded pistols even though she has a conceal carry permit. She violated those terms bringing it to school and it's unlawful to bring a weapon on school premises.

I know this has been beaten up so many times and I've said it plenty of times, we can't have teachers carrying loaded weapons with children around. That's not going to do it and that is not a solution.

Clearly not the right move on her part, particularly since she broke a law of her conceal carry permit.

That said, I can kind of understand where she's coming from. I mean, some of my teacher friends are freaking out a bit since the Newtown massacre.

And just so I'm clear, I don't agree with what this teacher did, just saying it's not too surprising to me considering state of fear some teachers (some more than others) are experiencing.

Just solidifies (in my mind, at least :) ) the need for either military reserves, national guard, etc. or police officers - all in plain clothes - to be placed in schools. I think it will provide a sense of security to parents and teachers. Obviously just my opinion though...and I don't claim to know everything :)

There is this kid in Newtown CT as on CNN, he is urging other kids to give up their video games in honor of the tragedy!

Very sweet to see kids in this town, and kids around this country, responding to the tragedy and try to help any way they can. Last night, my dad was reading us some of the calls NORAD received about Santa Clause that NORAD published. A few questions brought us to tears...

One of the kids asked if Santa could stop at Newtown, CT first and give those kids their presents to make sure they all got presents before he ran out of them. :(

Another tear jerker that didn't have to do with CT was a little child whose little sister had passed away earlier this year. He requested Santa to please go to Heaven first to make sure his sister and all the other kids in Heaven could play with their toys first :(

Kinda helps put things into perspective if we didn't get gifts we asked for and were upset (although I don't know a lot of adults who that would apply to) or just puts everything in perspective. There are a lot of people dealing with an enormous amount of heartache and sadness out there...hopefully all of us (despite arguing about guns, violence, etc.) remember to be happy for so many of the good things we have in life :)

This cartoon is ridiculously stupid and short-sighted.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Listen

I don't like Call Of Duty or most violent video games like BloodStorm or Blood Bowl or whatever they make now

But I can tell you that there is no positive link that playing violent video games makes one a killer. I'm not going to go outside and steal a jet plane because I saw it on GTA V. The mere suggestion of any link between violent video games and violent behavior is absolutely, positively ludicrous.

You cannot say that

Control the guns for all I care, deal with mental health...but don't blame it on the media. Don't blame it on violent video games, music, et cetera, because we've heard that excuse so many times before. And we've debunked that flimsy excuse time and time again.

No. Video games do not make kids killers. But put an even mildly mentally disturbed person in front a violent video game, hour after hour, day after day, and tell me it will have no effect.

No. Video games do not make kids killers. But put an even mildly mentally disturbed person in front a violent video game, hour after hour, day after day, and tell me it will have no effect.

Thank you. Nice to see someone one who "gets" it. :)

That is what people like Hillary Clinton, NRA pres., (and me, although I'm not much of a figure in the national debate ;) ) etc. are saying.

No one (except possibly the village idiot) is saying violent video games create killers. No one is pinning the blame solely on violent media. People are saying, however, that more investigation is needed in regards to the correlation studies have found between violent video/tv viewing and increases in aggressive behavior. Some people are saying it could potentially be one factor in the constellation of factors involved in create a societal atmosphere conducive to this type of insanity (mass murders, school shootings, etc.). IMO, only a ding dong conclusively crosses that off the list as a "non-factor" when there are still so many unknowns about the correlations that have been discovered by scientists...

Shouldn't we get help for the mildly mentally disturbed person then? Why should everyone pay because of one or two demented individuals?

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

People are saying, however, that more investigation is needed in regards to the correlation studies have found between violent video/tv viewing and increases in aggressive behavior. Some people are saying it could potentially be one factor in the constellation of factors involved in create a societal atmosphere conducive to this type of insanity (mass murders, school shootings, etc.). IMO, only a ding dong conclusively crosses that off the list as a "non-factor" when there are still so many unknowns about the correlations that have been discovered by scientists...

So you're saying exactly what I said earlier.

BTW..a lot of people think that violent video games are responsible for these violent acts. Go check your previous comments in this thread. Go check the media. Go check the ****ized cartoon that Koolblue13 posted. That perception is out there. And it's dangerous to stifle first Amendment rights to preserve 2nd amendment rights.

ix, I like you fine as an ES poster, amigo, so don't take the following as anything contrary to that--I actually held off posting over the last few days cuz I'm such a softy (it was Christmas! :pfft:) but I keep reading you here so I'm going ahead. Most was writ tent right after the relevant posts appeared, and then all pasted together for this time. :)

I worked as a psychologist doing experiments for some time back in the day. I oversaw many experiments and studies.

I wouldn't argue with too much of what you said on some of the basics of research and statistics (and the same actually holds with what K is saying, though you guys are at odds in the conversation). My personal views on violent content in video games aside, I do know what K does, professionally, and what it means in terms of her formal education. I think she’s more than holding her own with you so far.

Being someone who is and does what you say you are and did, I have to ask what kind of psychologist you are---because, legally, in every state in the U.S., that means you have a PhD (APA or not)---unless you are a school psychologist, which is a whole different bag and has almost zero to do with big boy research.

So when you say "worked as a psychologist doing experiments for some time back in the day" that sounds like you were not only specifically credentialed as stated, but somehow at your current ripe old age of 27, you still manage to have a "back in the day" period where you had achieved that rank a few years sooner than possible unless you're a genius. :pfft:

Then there's this on your profile page under occupation--- Unemployed collegiate student. I also see you give your location as 'twitter" and you interests as "listening to 80's music , playing computer games , listening to sports on internet & radio" so you sound fine to me. :ols:

It's hard to imagine a guy who could get a PhD in psychology some years before hitting 27, or even by 27, is actually unemployed and has chosen to go back to in school to remedy it, even in this economy. I hope it gets better. :)

But dismissing the history, evolution, and level of violence-centered video gaming as one of the notable components of our culture’s violent content, and one (just one mind you) that is reasonably relevant to the overall socialization occurring within that culture (and of course individuals will vary in response), seems neither very intelligent or very scientific.

Now, figuring not much will ever be done in some serious limitations of such games beyond the advisories they already carry (and similar with the guns side of it) makes sense to me.

As I've said, I’d contend they all play a role (as pieces of a whole) in the shaping of the current issues we find ourselves in---and I mean all forms of wide-spread numerically significant crazy-ass violence in such a materially rich culture--- but I keep saying we have neither the will or ability (and I include denial and rejection as linked to ability) to change it.

ALL the horses are long out of the barn.

To mix football into a tailgate topic, we are exactly who they thought we were.

Don't blame it on violent video games, music, et cetera, because we've heard that excuse so many times before. And we've debunked that flimsy excuse time and time again.

First, I'd watch the "we" in "we've", and sweeping claims of "debunking" without specifying exactly what has been "debunked." Even a psych 101 student knows that behavioral conditioning is "real" and games of a culture very much say a lot about that culture. But I have yet to see anyone in the thread blame it all on video games.

To some extent, mi amigo, I think "thou dost protest too much" :) and I can't help but also note that while you say

I don't like Call Of Duty or most violent video games
you actually have also posted many times of really liking and regularly playing a number of video games with serious violent content. Soooooo ;)

In this, you seem a leeeetle like the gamer version of the "gun nut" who has his fingers in his ears and is yelling "nonononononononono" at even the raising of the subject.

<edit>

So you're saying exactly what I said earlier.

BTW..a lot of people think that violent video games are responsible for these violent acts. Go check your previous comments in this thread. Go check the media. Go check the ****ized cartoon that Koolblue13 posted. That perception is out there. And it's dangerous to stifle first Amendment rights to preserve 2nd amendment rights.

I’ll have to re-read, because I think here (red highlight) it’s more like you’re swinging closer to what she’s been saying than your previously over-stated (to me) position. The rest of that post keeps one of my eyebrows raised a little in your direction. (our grin smiley is broken)

And I’m not anything like some “getting rid of our guns” extremist. :cool:

So if we can't remove murderous intent from people, and gun laws are too easy to circumvent then what's the answer?

I'd love to see a solid plan that addresses the 13,000 gun homicides committed each year.

twa, if you would be so kind.....

not sure where you get that figure

Nearly 13,000 homicides were committed with weapons — 8,775 with firearms — in the United States in 2010, the latest year of available FBI data. Of the murders where firearm types were identified, 6,009 were committed with handguns; 358 with rifles; and 373 with shotguns. Another roughly 2,000 were committed with firearms either of unknown type or in other categories.http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/effectiveness-policies-programs-reduce-firearm-violence-meta-analysis?wpmp_switcher=mobile

The researchers conclude that “law enforcement programs are clearly more effective than gun laws.” They note that the “most effective programs combined both punitive and supportive strategies to effectively reduce gun violence…. The assessment of [gun violence prevention programs] provides clear guidance concerning which approaches are most likely to result in enhanced public safety — an outcome that should be attractive to policy makers regardless of their ideological persuasion.”

from what I gather gun violence has been trending down,especially where good citizens are allowed arms...the bad ones seem to find a way to get them

Archived