Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you stop our offense?

Vilandil Tasardur

This is a topic that's been kicked around in a couple of other threads, but I felt like it really needed its own both to prompt good discussion and to keep from side tracking other threads. The question is simple. You're an opposing D coordinator. How do you stop our offense? If you're a division rival, what personnel do you NEED to stop it?

Personally, I have only one idea. I would play two heavy, defensive tackles and line them up inside, right over the guard and center gaps. Then I would play two pass rushers (be they 43 ends or 34 backers) in a wide 9 technique ala the eagles. This leaves a huge gap over the tackle and guard. It also leaves you with 7 players left to scheme with.

I would set my outside linebackers out wide, so that they are sitting above this open gap. Then I would line up one safety about 5-10 yards deeper than the MLB, but centered right behind him. My second safety would play way deep, like Sean Taylor used to when he center fielded.

At the start of our pistol option, my players would be coached as such. Corners carry their man downfield, ALWAYS. The edge rushers ALWAYS play contain, they NEVER crash in on Morris, no matter what. The outside linebackers, sitting in the wide gap I mentioned, crash at the tackle. They try to penetrate beyond the tackle to attack the ball carrier. However, if they fail, they ALSO play contain within the edge rushers' contain.

The MLB is used as a QB spy and/or slash player. The hope is that with both edge rushers and both OLB playing contain while attacking the linemen, your MLB should be free to make cut into the gap. It's essentially the one cut rushing system but for a MLB. The near safety sits just behind the MLB and essentially does the same thing, because innevitably the MLB will get blocked and/or miss. The back safety doubles the deepest man and helps the corner. We rarely send more than one guy deep.

If RG hands to Morris, it falls on the two DTs, the MLB, and the near safety to make the play. If RG tries to keep, he has to get outside of the OLB, and then again get outside of the edge rushers. He has the skills to do it, but hopefully these players can be stout and at least create lanes for the MLB and near safety to slash in and make the tackle. If RG keeps the ball to throw, then the responsibility falls on the near safety to "free lance" across the 10-20 yard range and read the QB's eyes to shut down the crossing route. The deep play should be double covered.

As I see it, you'd HAVE to have to powerful, run stuffing DTs and a highly athletic MLB and a reasonably athletic strong safety.

What do you guys think? How would you try to stop us?

The running or passing the ball is not whats hard to stop, its the confusion the offense creates by all the ball fakes that makes it damn near impossible to stop. Every player has to play perfectly on every snap to stop the offense, one breakdown and off to the races they go.

Your plan requires A LOT of talent in a lot of positions on D...luckily most teams don't have all that
This is the only way I see it. You have to have LEGIT starters at at least two positions on the DL, and one at LB. Then you need 1 elite LB or safety, while the other being legit as well.

Few teams have that type of talent. Basically, I think you need a MLB like combined with a SS like Polamalu. I think a full strength Ravens could stop it because Reed can play centerfield, giving them an extra man in the box. The more you commit to the box the less the fakes hurt you, because guys can stay home and not bite on the fakes since they can trust someone to be everywhere else.

They posted this article over on the Giant forums. They are going over the deep end over there about RG3 and the Skins success. HTTR!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20121207,0,6299566.column

"Yeah, it's the element of surprise right now, but you're going to get teams that say, 'Who cares about the dive back, go directly at RG. Even if he doesn't have the football, and he's riding the guy? Hit him anyway,'" said Jim Kelly, Hall of Famer for the Buffalo Bills. "I would do that if I was the defensive coach. I would say, 'If he's going to run the option, make him pay for it.'

Your plan requires A LOT of talent in a lot of positions on D...luckily most teams don't have all that

Second this.

The amazing thing about our offense is how it's almost chameleon-like. It just shifts and adjusts to whatever the defense is doing, and we're able to beat them in a number of ways. This offense isn't a one-trick pony, that's what makes it so dangerous.

To the OP, the read inside the tackle on the stretch play would kill that strategy.

If I'm going to try and stop this attack, I'm taking away Morris, and crashing my DE on every play. If RG3 wants to run, that many times in a game I'll tell my defense to tee off on him.

I agree with the OP, that's a good plan if you have the players. But the best way to stop our offense is to keep it off the field. Our safeties suuuuuck, so use a lot of west coast 5 yard dinks and dunks with long drives, and yeah, you must score on almost every drive.

They posted this article over on the Giant forums. They are going over the deep end over there about RG3 and the Skins success. HTTR!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20121207,0,6299566.column

"Yeah, it's the element of surprise right now, but you're going to get teams that say, 'Who cares about the dive back, go directly at RG. Even if he doesn't have the football, and he's riding the guy? Hit him anyway,'" said Jim Kelly, Hall of Famer for the Buffalo Bills. "I would do that if I was the defensive coach. I would say, 'If he's going to run the option, make him pay for it.'

there comes a point where that draws penalties though.

How did the Panthers stop it? I'm legit curious. We didn't have many drops. We played sloppy, but hmmm.

I really believe that, after the bye, it's been a matter of a more dedicated defensive unit committed to playing at a higher level. If they continue to evolve over the next four games, we could actually see ourselves in the playoffs. That's my :2cents:

there comes a point where that draws penalties though.

all he has to do is hold hishands up to let everyone know that he doesn't have the ball, and it will draw a 15 yard penalty everytime. I'm a tad nervous that they'll try some bush league **** though. Bernard Pollard plays for them. Even though their D has not played the same this year, I'm sure the culture is still there. They are going to try to knock him out of the game.

Archived