Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please don't shout O during the National Anthem this weeknd.....

MarkB452

When did this become a Baltimore thing? I have heard this all over. I think the first time I heard it was at the movies on post back in 94. Always showed hoah clips and then the National Anthem and everyone said OH! when the M1 came crashing through a large puddle. I've always liked it, never have thought of Baltimore. Just something fun to do.

How about...."What so proudly we HAILed"? Wouldn't that be more appropriate?

Now this is disrespectful, the oh, doesn't change the song. But I kinda like the HAILed. Wouldn't do it, but it's cool.

Their fans are so damn dumb they still think it's the Redskins fault the Colts snuck out of town. I Have literally heard this from many Baltimore fans myself :doh: They hate our team and swear its a real rivalry between us.

I have a co-worker who is a Ravens fan and he does the same thing. He insists that there is some rivalry between us. He's even tried to get to smack talking when we've played each other in PRESEASON :ols:. I just give him a weird look and say "You do realize that we really don't even care about you all, right?"

Random idea; let people say whatever the hell they want to say.

It's a free country, and so long as they aren't cursing or screaming "AMERICA SUCKS!", it doesn't matter if they say "O!", whether it's a "Baltimore thing" or not. It's just a phrase. If it bugs you that much just watch the game at home where you can have cheaper concessions, and don't have to hear the anthem at all.

It is not just a Baltimore Orioles thing. I've have been to several sporting events in Florida and Alabama and everyone does it. I hate it and think it is disrespectful.

In what way is saying "O!" disrespectful to the United States of America?

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 01:37 AM ----------

Seriously. I don't get it. It's like, a word in the song.

It's not as though people are screaming "****!" at the top of their lungs. They're just singing the song and putting emphasis on one word.

I did not realize their were rules to the National Anthem.

I always thought of it being rather disrespectful. You rise and stand to reflect and remember why we have the opportunity to be here in this land and be able to enjoy sporting events, while portions of the world live in fear, hunger, and lots of conditions we don't think about when we're drunk and cussing at each other.

Think about it next time you O's fans are about to do it.

Random idea; let people say whatever the hell they want to say.

It's a free country, and so long as they aren't cursing or screaming "AMERICA SUCKS!", it doesn't matter if they say "O!", whether it's a "Baltimore thing" or not. It's just a phrase. If it bugs you that much just watch the game at home where you can have cheaper concessions, and don't have to hear the anthem at all.

:applause:Well said.

I swear it seems like the more we win the less it seems people around here have to say. So, they simply come up with the pettiest subjects that they can think of and create threads. There's been quite a bit of this going on lately.

I mean, we aren't even talking about football anymore.:doh:

Furthermore, does this even belong here? It has nothing to do with the Redskins.:(

:applause:Well said.

I swear it seems like the more we win the less it seems people around here have to say. So, they simply come up with the pettiest subjects that they can think of and create threads. There's been quite a bit of this going on lately.

I mean, we aren't even talking about football anymore.:doh:

Furthermore, does this even belong here? It has nothing to do with the Redskins.:(

The selfishness of some people. Just because you can say what you want, doesn't mean you should. It also doesn't mean that because you can, that it isn't disrespectful. Again, we're talking about making an "O" chant, to symbolize the unity of a city's baseball team in the SMALL portion of TIME in which we're remember the hundreds of thousands of people who died to make it possible to watch such an event and have such a luxury. Do people not get that? I bet if we equipped everyone who is for this with a gun and threw them in the middle of a battleground, we will see a change in how one sees the national anthem.

Keep in mind, usually just prior to the anthem, we have a memorial sometimes for fallen vets, or veterans that have come home in wheelchairs or worse. We usually take a moment of silence for these people. There easily is people around you who have lost someone or who have been apart of some war that are paying respects to these people when you stand for the national anthem.

I always thought of it being rather disrespectful. You rise and stand to reflect and remember why we have the opportunity to be here in this land and be able to enjoy sporting events, while portions of the world live in fear, hunger, and lots of conditions we don't think about when we're drunk and cussing at each other.

Think about it next time you O's fans are about to do it.

What about at US soccer games where the fans singing the national anthem? Heck that's what they do at the World Cup. Check out the 2006 world cup US anthem.

We didn't have baseball in D.C. when I was growing up. We were all Orioles fans. *shrug* I don't see anything wrong with it.

I like the "proudly we HAILed" idea though. You'd need to get a core of people to start it and do it every game and eventually it spreads over time. A couple seasons and we might have the stadium doing it.

The selfishness of some people. ...

There easily is people around you who have lost someone or who have been apart of some war that are paying respects to these people when you stand for the national anthem.

I mostly agree with your sentiment, but I personally know some vets (one purple-heart) who do this themselves. I don't do it, but who is to say that those folks aren't doing it out of the excitement (and freedom) inspired by our national anthem?

(There are people who yell Fight Fight Fight?)

Listen after the next TD. It's there. I don't understand it. The only rationale I can come up with is that there is some kind of group-think to change the lyrics of an ~80 year old song for no reason other than superficial reasons. If anyone wants to shed some light on it, I would love to hear a reason other than "it sounds better."

Listen after the next TD. It's there. I don't understand it. The only rationale I can come up with is that there is some kind of group-think to change the lyrics of an ~80 year old song for no reason other than superficial reasons. If anyone wants to shed some light on it, I would love to hear a reason other than "it sounds better."

Honestly for many years growing up I thought it was "Fight!". I sing "Rah!" now, but as a kid I'd say fight. I don't even remember where it came from. But yeah theres a core of folks who think that's the lyric..I used to.

Archived