Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please don't shout O during the National Anthem this weeknd.....

MarkB452

No rules, just etiquette and respect for country.

Same as booing another country anthem. You just don't do that.

While I'm not even a US citizen, I fully agree with the OP. You have to respect your own Anthem, b/c there's a lot of history, thus life and death, attached to it.

Honestly for many years growing up I thought it was "Fight!". I sing "Rah!" now, but as a kid I'd say fight. I don't even remember where it came from. But yeah theres a core of folks who think that's the lyric..I used to.

I hear you and understand that. The lyrics are on the big screen though. If there are other people who learned the song incorrectly, they are also ignoring the screen. The motivation for singing incorrect lyrics escapes me . . .

Same as booing another country anthem. You just don't do that.

While I'm not even a US citizen, I fully agree with the OP. You have to respect your own Anthem, b/c there's a lot of history, thus life and death, attached to it.

Singing it differently is not the same thing as disrespect.

Singing it differently is not the same thing as disrespect.

The intent of having the anthem sung at every game is to honor the country. The yelling of "O" is, at its base level, an homage to the Baltimore Orioles. You can argue why people yell "O," but I believe some people use it as a license to be obnoxious. It is not a matter of singing the song differently especially when most people only yell one syllable. Regardless of the reason, there is no connection between honoring the country and yelling "O." I wish it would stop.

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 10:48 AM ----------

Does anyone here have a problem with yelling "red!" at Caps games? Because it seems as of only Orioles fans disrespect the anthem, according to the thread.

I have never been to a Caps game, but I see no difference between the two practices.

The selfishness of some people. Just because you can say what you want, doesn't mean you should. It also doesn't mean that because you can, that it isn't disrespectful. Again, we're talking about making an "O" chant, to symbolize the unity of a city's baseball team in the SMALL portion of TIME in which we're remember the hundreds of thousands of people who died to make it possible to watch such an event and have such a luxury. Do people not get that? I bet if we equipped everyone who is for this with a gun and threw them in the middle of a battleground, we will see a change in how one sees the national anthem.

Keep in mind, usually just prior to the anthem, we have a memorial sometimes for fallen vets, or veterans that have come home in wheelchairs or worse. We usually take a moment of silence for these people. There easily is people around you who have lost someone or who have been apart of some war that are paying respects to these people when you stand for the national anthem.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even my nine year old son (who salutes during the anthem whether he is attending or watching on television) remarked how stupid it was when I took him to the stadium last year.

"Just let people say whatever they want to say".........**** this comment! Do the RIGHT thing every once in a while...........

I have no problem with local traditions involving the national anthem and think it's a bit silly to complain about. I love the tradition at Chicago Blackhawks games of cheering throughout the anthem, the Canadian tradition of singing along to their anthem, and the countless other national anthem quirks from around the county.

I just don't see silence and respect as mutually exclusive.

I'm a die-hard skins fan and a die-hard orioles fan. I hate the ravens and i hate the nationals, go figure. I will yell OOOO at the national anthem with all the other orioles fans proudly. If you don't like it go and think its disrespectful go talk to your therapist about it.

I'm a die-hard skins fan and a die-hard orioles fan. I hate the ravens and i hate the nationals, go figure. I will yell OOOO at the national anthem with all the other orioles fans proudly. If you don't like it go and think its disrespectful go talk to your therapist about it.

Hey, it's your prerogative... but the tone in your post is not the best way to make a first impression.

Hey, it's your prerogative... but the tone in your post is not the best way to make a first impression.

JMUSkins gives good advice, here. I suggest you follow it, ktizzzlee.

It is not just a Baltimore Orioles thing. I've have been to several sporting events in Florida and Alabama and everyone does it. I hate it and think it is disrespectful.

As an Orioles fan, I've never done it at Redskin games. I too think it's disrepectful to do anything while the anthem is being sung/played. I also hate when so called "artists" put their own twist on it. The song has notes and words and represents our country. Sing/play it right. But that's for another time.

I'm not an O's fan and I don't like it... but I'd LIKE to think that even the Redskins/O's fans would understand that maybe this one time would be a good time to skip the "O" thing during the anthem. Come on guys. It's us against them on Sunday. No solidarity with anything Baltimore for one afternoon.

I'm sure I'm talking to a brick wall here though. The loudest "O" during the anthem I've ever heard was this past Monday night vs. the Giants. :doh:

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

As an Orioles fan, I've never done it at Redskin games. I too think it's disrepectful to do anything while the anthem is being sung/played. I also hate when so called "artists" put their own twist on it. The song has notes and words and represents our country. Sing/play it right. But that's for another time.

Thanks PJ... other Skins/O's fans take note! :)

I'm not an O's fan and I don't like it... but I'd LIKE to think that even the Redskins/O's fans would understand that maybe this one time would be a good time to skip the "O" thing during the anthem. Come on guys. It's us against them on Sunday. No solidarity with anything Baltimore for one afternoon.

I'm sure I'm talking to a brick wall here though. The loudest "O" during the anthem I've ever heard was this past Monday night vs. the Giants. :doh:

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

Thanks PJ... other Skins/O's fans take note! :)

The only thing anyone should do is either remain silent with their hat "OFF!" or sing the anthem with the right notes and key.

The selfishness of some people. Just because you can say what you want, doesn't mean you should. It also doesn't mean that because you can, that it isn't disrespectful.

rocky, i think you are 100% correct. everything im reading here by those that do it is 'i want to do it, so i'm going to do it and if you disagree, eff yourself'. i'm only 42, and i'm a pretty young at heart guy, but attitudes like this make me feel like an old great grandpa.

once in awhile i get on my soapbox. its just shocking to me sometimes. wildbunny is from france and gets it. i wasnt born here. i'm english by birth. moved here when i was 4. embraced this country like it was my own. i wanted to badly to be 'more' american- like people who are born here (so many take it for granted), so i joined the greatest fighting force in the world. the united states marine corps. i served in desert storm. lost a friend there (who was also not born here). i got married in my dress blues, medals, ribbons, nco sword and all. there is nothing in my life i am more proud of.

i get choked up when i hear the national anthem. i go to arlington to visit my friend. arlington is a sacred place. the anthem, to me, is a sacred thing. people have a right to say what they want. i served to ensure that. people can state their opinions as loudly rudely as they like, and i will state mine- ive earned it. but i'll be damned if i have to agree with those opinions.

soapbox ran over.

Guess what, there are O's fans in Florida. It's absolutely an Orioles thing.

http://aapolitics.us/article/2008/02/25/otwhere-did-theostart-national-anthem

Guess what, it is not just an O's thing like I said. I never said it wasn't an O's thing. Maybe it started with them, but others have caught on to doing it. When I go to a Huntsville Havoc Hockey game, and half of the stadium yells 'O', I can assume with certainty that it is not just orioles fans.

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

I won't get in on the topic, but I agree with every word you said here. Also, I am an O's fan as well.

It better not be after the Redskins swept the division and are 1 game out of owning the NFC East. If that's the case, trash FedEx in the off season and go back to RFK where we had real home field advantage.

To be fair, many of the fans may've put tickets up for sale after the Carolina game and the "Evaluating" comment...a month before we swept the entire NFC East

Right, because taking two minutes to show respect for all the men and women who have given their time and lives for you to be at a sporting event, pales in comparison for your god given right to cheer for the team that is a few miles down the road closer to you and wears slightly different colors.

Much respect.

Archived