Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Morris to be DC in Tenneesse

German_skin

An European scoop ;)

How about this rumor then....

WREG-TV in Memphis, Tenn. reported Tuesday night that the ESPN NFL analyst has an offer on the table to become the next head coach of the University of Tennessee with an interesting twist. According to the report, Gruden would be getting an ownership stake in the Cleveland Browns as part of the deal and a decision could be made as early as Wednesday.

Doesn't excuse the continued, basic fundamental flaws in his charges.

If the buck doesn't stop with the positional coach when his unit is poorly performing, where does it stop?

Hail.

Could be a number of things, including talent, injuries, maybe personnel dept. mistakes, and yes, coaching. The buck doesn't always stop at the coach, sometimes it stops before and sometimes it stops after.

Could be a number of things, including talent, injuries, maybe personnel dept. mistakes, and yes, coaching. The buck doesn't always stop at the coach, sometimes it stops before and sometimes it stops after.

Whilst there is other factors it's true, if the positional coach, or HC come to that isn't ultimately responsible for what his guys do on the field. why bother to have coaches at all?

It might not always be fair. It might not always be the right decision. But that's why they get paid the big bucks. They take the acclaim. They take the consequences through failure.

If it doesn't stop with them, then they may as well be redundant or your giving them a free pass to do whatever. However poor the results may consistently be.

Hail.

Doesn't excuse the continued, basic fundamental flaws in his charges.

If the buck doesn't stop with the positional coach when his unit is poorly performing, where does it stop?

Hail.

Point taken, but also consider how probably most people thought our DBs were weak before the season started and injuries occured. If the starters are weak, how are the backups going to look? Coaches can only do so much.

Also, the point that was made referred to whether losing Morris would really be a loss, not that he shouldn't take any responsibility for poor performance. There might be a couple things he's not coaching right, but there was no depth at DB at the start of the season and its only gotten worse.

Wouldn't argue with any of that jnhay.

But I also wouldn't take issue with anyone that wanted him gone along with Haslett and one or two others. Regardless of talent level, when basic fundamentals keep happening, you have to ask questions on just what their being taught on the practice field. It's true that's it's a complete disgrace for pro's to have those problems to start with, but it's all relevant when it comes to the issue of how a coach' job is going.

Hail.

Whilst there is other factors it's true, if the positional coach, or HC come to that isn't ultimately responsible for what his guys do on the field. why bother to have coaches at all?

It might not always be fair. It might not always be the right decision. But that's why they get paid the big bucks. They take the acclaim. They take the consequences through failure.

If it doesn't stop with them, then they may as well be redundant or your giving them a free pass to do whatever. However poor the results may consistently be.

Hail.

So position coaches make the big bucks and get all the acclaim? If you're reading headlines about positional coaches over there, they're doing it wrong. :D

Turnover is not always the way to go. You hire a guy and give him a chance to succeed. Morris has not finished 75% of his first season here, and is obviously outmanned, both by lack of talent AND injuries. to top it off, he receives no help from the other acclaimed position coach Jacob Burney. :)

For the record, I am not saying he is definitely the answer....but I am saying that he hasn't had a real chance to succeed yet.

I also wouldn't disagree in giving a guy time Major. That should be a staple that isn't oft afforded in today's transient, 'what have you done for me lately?' NFL. I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. But I wouldn't be pissed to see him stay at his position for a duration either.

But I sure as heck wouldn't boost him to DC as many keep suggesting until such a time as he has proved himself.

Hail.

I don't picture Gruden going to the SEC or the Titans. Gruden is an NFL guy and he has options. The Titans are normally a mediocre to bad franchise in a small market, with a historically cheap owner. I'd think the Philly job would have greater appeal than the sanctioned strapped Vols.

Morris is a ra ra type of coach who ignores discipline and immediately created discourse between himself and our DC. I hope he gets a HC job in our division.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. He does not seem to demand a lot of discipline from his players and just kind of lets them do their own thing as long as it keeps them happy. I would be disappointed if he saw any kind of promotion from us and I would not be saddened if he left.

I also wouldn't disagree in giving a guy time Major. That should be a staple that isn't oft afforded in today's transient, 'what have you done for me lately?' NFL. I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. But I wouldn't be pissed to see him stay at his position for a duration either.

But I sure as heck wouldn't boost him to DC as many keep suggesting until such a time as he has proved himself.

Hail.

The Morris as DC in waiting talk from the insiders has died down over the last few weeks. The feeling now seems to be that if we do fire Haslett at the end of the year we will want a guy with some proven recent experience in the 3-4. Clearly that makes far to much sense to happen of course ......

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

I don't picture Gruden going to the SEC or the Titans. Gruden is an NFL guy and he has options. The Titans are normally a mediocre to bad franchise in a small market, with a historically cheap owner. I'd think the Philly job would have greater appeal than the sanctioned strapped Vols.

Think about Philly - no established QB, some ageing higher priced underperfroming veterans who need to be purged and some significant needs on defense. Their OLine is a train wreck but should be much better if they get the guys back who were injured this year most notably Peters. Lack of a QB is what makes me think Gruden would not be attracted by the Philly job though - he was hamstrung in Tampa with mediocre QBs can't see him wanting that again.

FWIW, didn't Darrell Green say he observed a practice or two and said our technique in the secondary was horrible? So, if he goes, he goes. Maybe someone will come in and stress technique. I'm more interested in whether or not Haslett is fired/released/let go/kicked out/booted/ejected/launched out of here.

FWIW, didn't Darrell Green say he observed a practice or two and said our technique in the secondary was horrible? So, if he goes, he goes. Maybe someone will come in and stress technique. I'm more interested in whether or not Haslett is fired/released/let go/kicked out/booted/ejected/launched out of here.

Yeah him and another vet from the DL?? don't remember who it was, Charles Mann maybe said technique was not being stressed. I wished DG would come in as the secondary coach.

Great players rarely make great coaches. You can't coach world class speed or instincts and what worked for DG might not work for mere mortals.

Probably so in most cases Martin, but we all know DG had a work ethic and quality of character that would improve any **** sandwich like the one we have right now.

Probably so in most cases Martin, but we all know DG had a work ethic and quality of character that would improve any **** sandwich like the one we have right now.

I think better talent, especially at the safety positions, is what will improve our secondary the most.

Archived