Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBCDFW: Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business, CEO Blames Union Strike

Kilmer17

You haven't lived until you've tried Polysorbate 60.

How can you go wrong with something that has ample helpings of both red and yellow dye? I remember the first time I heard of there being a deep-fried twinkie. Foolishly, I thought we'd jugged the shark there--never underestimate the extremes of American dietary choices.

How can you go wrong with something that has ample helpings of both red and yellow dye? I remember the first time I heard of there being a deep-fried twinkie. Foolishly, I thought we'd jugged the shark there--never underestimate the extremes of American dietary choices.

While the wisdom of your words is undeniable I have to ask... have you tried a deep fried snickers bar?

I'd be mad if i lost my job because the bakers said screw it...

The new contract cuts salaries across the company by 8% in the first year of the five-year agreement. Salaries then bump up 3% in the next three years and 1% in the final year.

Hostess has also reduced its pension obligations and its contribution to the employees' health care plan. In exchange, the company offered concessions including a 25% equity stake for workers and the inclusion of two union representatives on an eight-member board of directors.

Good riddance Twinkie :ciao:

Look at that ingredient list. Pure poison.

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.

No. Cigarettes and those highly caffeined energy drinks are pure poison. Twinkies are just fattening. On too.of that, a twinkie is probably no more "poisoning than the pie, cake or cookies you, your wife or mom is planning on making for Thanksgiving.

While the wisdom of your words is undeniable I have to ask... have you tried a deep fried snickers bar?

Dude, I haven't, but one of the coastal resort towns about 80 minutes from my place has a store/restaurant that specializes in chocolate-dipped and deep-fried everything you can imagine, and they do the snickers. While I've been mostly well-behaved nutritionally for awhile (and even do some work with a UofW research group that has a big nutrition component) I am looking forward to it. :D

(and carefully sampling the entire menu of the place) :evilg:

No. Cigarettes and those highly caffeined energy drinks are pure poison. Twinkies are just fattening. On too.of that, a twinkie is probably no more "poisoning than the pie, cake or cookies you, your wife or mom is planning on making for Thanksgiving.

If they just contained sugar and flour then you'd be right.

Those ingredients are not only in Twinkies but in many other products in the grocery store. They will fatten you up and they poison you. High Fructose Corn Syrup should be banned or be subject to production quotas like it is in Europe.

*The Pumpkin pie on Thursday (from scratch ) won't include soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate. Unless someone picks up one of those tasty Costco pies.:pfft:

My mother wouldn't cook anything with partially hydrogenated oils.

Trans fat has been removed from some products. I believe most restaurants don't even use it no more. But again, I'm not some food above who really cares about that stuff. As long as it taste good, it's alright with me.

There is no need for blame....or for their job obviously

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/14/news/companies/hostess-liquidation-thursday/index.html

A offer was made ...the Bakers Union refused,now everybody can move on

I read the same article and had a different reaction. It didn't seem to be totally a union thing, though it's a part of it. It didn't seem to be totally a bad management thing, though it was also partly to blame. More of a shift in several market forces and a company who had seen so many ownership changes it never really got around to adapting to the new realities.

And I admit it. I love HoHos. Know they're bad for me, and contain no natural ingredients but I love them.

I can honestly say I have not had a hostess product in over 20 years, who eats this crap?

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

aye, just read the thread.

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

Can we be honest here? Maybe it deserves it's own thread.

1. How many of you that went out and purchased 1+ more boxes of twinkies today are overweight?

I can honestly say I have not had a hostess product in over 20 years, who eats this crap?

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

Can we be honest here? Maybe it deserves it's own thread.

1. How many of you that went out and purchased 1+ more boxes of twinkies today are overweight?

How many that drank a soda or pizza or taco, or fries, or slurpee, or beer, or meatball sub?

nuts/berries and a bottle of water is all you need.

Though i noticed zombie land the guy looking for the twinkie was in shape :)

Snoballs though.. nobody likes snoballs

How many that drank a soda or pizza or taco, or fries, or slurpee, or beer, or meatball sub?

nuts/berries and a bottle of water is all you need.

Though i noticed zombie land the guy looking for the twinkie was in shape :)

Snoballs though.. nobody likes snoballs

If anyone has been paying attention, health, half marathons, 5k's, mud runs and many other different forms of racing are becoming very popular with all kinds of people, hostess was bound to fail, maybe the soda companies are going next, imo this is good for The United States. Millions of people are doing some form of running every weekend, health is becoming popular, hostess never adapted, oh well see ya.

You'd be surprised at the crazy **** we can dream up in the kitchen of an Applebee's at 3 a.m. while wat....ok, that was 20 years ago, but still, half of it ended up on the menu. That bbq chicken pizza was credited to my nutty bar mgr at the time...love ya, Chris.

No, but my curious eyebrow went the other way with intrigue...

Archived