Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBCDFW: Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business, CEO Blames Union Strike

Kilmer17

"over-inflated" was a bad choice of phrase. Nothing personal. I just meant higher than where the normal job market would peg salary.

My experience in the construction industry is that quality of workers is extremely important. There will always be a market for good and talented people. I understand and appreciate your point. I just don't think salaries at non-union shops would change that much. Perhaps you're right, for day laborers. BUt is the pool of crane operators who aore trained and experienced really that large that they could pay minimum wage and still find quality people who could (and would) do the job safely?

I agree with this last post very much.

My wife was a union nurse for a long time and I kept telling her she's wasting her money, her degree experience and the law of supply and demand were all she needed and now that she's non union she actually makes much more.

And yes the laborers do need the unions more that's why whenever there's a rally there's like 6 carpenter's 4 operators, a couple electricians and around 200 laborers, because even they know there not as protected by there skills as we are.

And no I don't for one second think I would make minimum wage it was an extreme analogy but I know I would make less and probably a considerable amount.

I am just one of those people who thinks that capatilism is a great idea and a good idea coupled with hard work should be rewarded with great riches but the hard working, maybe not overly intelligent person should also be allowed to fight for what he believes is a fair pay in this world.

As I understand it, the unions gave back $110 million per year to get the company out of the first bankruptcy proceeding. The hedge fund guys then gave themselves multi million dollar bonuses. Meanwhile, they were selling off assets, especially the real estate.

There will be a lot of fingerpointing in every direction from this. The truth will be a lot more complicated than the talking points, that's for sure.

indeed

I always feel Americans like to blame the employees over the executives. Its always the first reaction.

I believe the union gave back money two times in this situation, and the hedge fund guys were asking for much more.

That doesnt say unions are always in the right and execs are always on the wrong, and vice versa, but there is more here than to just finger point at the union.

indeed

I always feel Americans like to blame the employees over the executives. Its always the first reaction.

I believe the union gave back money two times in this situation, and the hedge fund guys were asking for much more.

That doesnt say unions are always in the right and execs are always on the wrong, and vice versa, but there is more here than to just finger point at the union.

Good luck with that. The stories are already written in the business press, and will soon be set in stone in the world of public opinion. And you can guess which side they are taking. It was greedy unions, nothing more. Anything else is too complicated, and lacks a clear villain.

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 02:22 PM ----------

You know, like this.

There is no need for blame....or for their job obviously

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/14/news/companies/hostess-liquidation-thursday/index.html

A offer was made ...the Bakers Union refused,now everybody can move on

I have never seen as many men food snobs in my life. Big deal, it was snack food. Not everyone wants to eat carrots and celery

So eat nuts, chips,apples, crackers, whatever.

Twinkies, HoHos,Wonderbread,Tastycakes.... that's right up there with Spam or maybe even past it on the white trash scale. Tastes likw dawgs*** and is terrible for u. I just don't get the appeal. Then again, I've never gone to a family reunion to pick up chicks either.

Why or how did Hostess have a Union to begin with? I'm not downplaying the loss of this many jobs, which is a shame in such a bleak economy, but I can't think that many of these jobs would be considered skilled labor. As others have said, another company will come along and buy the worthwhile products within the brand the jobs however aren't coming back.

Why or how did Hostess have a Union to begin with? I'm not downplaying the loss of this many jobs, which is a shame in such a bleak economy, but I can't think that many of these jobs would be considered skilled labor.

You don't have to be skilled labor to have a union.

Let's assume that the union's demands caused Hostess to go under... does anyone even know what their demands were that were so terrible? What if they were demanded reasonable wages? And Hostess couldn't afford to pay reasonable wages? Maybe the union members are better off not working for Hostess.

You don't have to be skilled labor to have a union.

Let's assume that the union's demands caused Hostess to go under... does anyone even know what their demands were that were so terrible? What if they were demanded reasonable wages? And Hostess couldn't afford to pay reasonable wages? Maybe the union members are better off not working for Hostess.

well the market decides what's unreasonable here. I don't think anyone had a gun to the workers heads forcing them to come to the Hostess plant each day. I don't see unskilled labor having a real need for a union but unions have long outlived their usefulness in this country.

well the market decides what's unreasonable here. I don't think anyone had a gun to the workers heads forcing them to come to the Hostess plant each day. I don't see unskilled labor having a real need for a union but unions have long outlived their usefulness in this country.

That's what I'm saying. This is the market. The union was saying "we'll work for this amount under these terms." And assuming that is what happened, why isn't that good free market? If the company can't afford labor at a reasonable price, then it goes out of business.

Why are you assuming they were unreasonable? You agree that some companies should die in a free market, right?

Now does anybody know what actually happened there?
Immaterial. ;)
<edit> but unions have long outlived their usefulness in this country.

Well, that's the point of the thread. "Unions/workers bad-evil!" to be countered with "Owners/management bad-evil!"

My veiw on that gestalt--"either extreme stupid." (no exclamation point).

Good riddance Twinkie :ciao:

Look at that ingredient list. Pure poison.

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.

my favorite is "solids."

Poor Andy Reid can't catch a break this year. He's probably losing his job with the Eagles and now Twinkies are going away too.

-from the faux John Madden twitter account

Normally I would take any chance to poke fun at a rival however Andy Reid deserves a bit of a break this year considering he lost a child.

I like the fact that it has three kinds of sugar: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup. I'm not sure why corn syrup is listed twice though (after sugar, and after corn flour).

So eat nuts, chips,apples, crackers, whatever.

Twinkies, HoHos,Wonderbread,Tastycakes.... that's right up there with Spam or maybe even past it on the white trash scale. Tastes likw dawgs*** and is terrible for u. I just don't get the appeal. Then again, I've never gone to a family reunion to pick up chicks either.

WTF does eating twinkies have to do with being a redneck? Farthest thing from a redneck and I enjoyed hostess cakes every now and again.

Archived