Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you do if you were GM

alstontka

Bill Parcells was able to revamp the entire Dolphins squad in 2008 after they struggled to go 1-15 in 2007. The Dolphins made the playoffs in 2008 because of Parcells retooling. Shanahan certainly can do the same thing.

Yikes! Parcell had all of his draft choices and a few extra, and was drafting first in line. He also didn't have a 15 Million dollar offset against his salary cap. And he is considered one of the greatest talent evaluators of all time.

Not to take away from his accomplishments, but the roster revamp didn't leave much of a legacy. They haven't had a winning season since 2008.

Alright, I made a huge post earlier, but I'm consolidating it into a single coherent plan now.

Step 1: Cut DHall, save a ton of money (appox. 11M if I'm not mistaken)

Step 2: Renegotiate Moss and Fletcher down, Moss to around 1M (basically what happened with Cooley) saving 4.8M, and Fletcher to guaranteed money, which is 3.25M, saving 4M. Cut Brown after June 1, saving 2.4M Total savings of 11.2M. With Hall's savings we would have around 22.2M to play with.

Step 3: Sign DRC, 5 year/50M (mirror Finnegan's or Carr's contract). 12.2M remaining (assuming it's not slightly backloaded, which we might do).

Step 4: Sign Chris Owens, Mike Jenkins, or Leodis McKelvin to contract, try to get it around 5 year/10M. 10.2M remaining

Step 5: Sign Jairus Byrd, 5 year/40M. 2.2M remaining. Again, might backload, might not.

Step 6: Cut other dead weight, free up enough money for the draft.

Step 7: Draft either Fluker or Aboushi in the 2nd round (whoever the FO likes more)

Step 8: Draft one of Jefferson, Reid, Lester, Elam, McDonald, or Vaccaro with our 3rd, trading up (with combinations of 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders, keeping 4th) if we need to in order to secure one of them.

Step 9: Go BPA the rest of the way

End result:

Signed FAs - DRC, one of Jenkins, McKelvin, or Owens, and Byrd

Drafted players - Either Aboushi or Fluker, one of Jefferson, Reid, Lester, Elam, McDonald, or Vaccaro, and then BPA to the end.

Secondary has DRC at CB1, Wilson at CB2, one of those 3 at CB3, Byrd at FS, Meriweather at SS, with 3rd round pick backing them up (also Jackson if he's reinstated).

Right tackle is either Fluker or Aboushi.

As for NT, I'm still thinking we either start Neild or slide Jenkins inside (after he bulks up), and move Cofield outside.

Am I reading this right? You want to give Doesnt Really Care 10 million per year?

Yikes! Parcell had all of his draft choices and a few extra, and was drafting first in line. He also didn't have a 15 Million dollar offset against his salary cap. And he is considered one of the greatest talent evaluators of all time.

Not to take away from his accomplishments, but the roster revamp didn't leave much of a legacy. They haven't had a winning season since 2008.

We just keep making excuses for Shanny and the Skins man. Its honestly just heart breaking anymore. Faithful fans just keep coming back and we keep getting hurt. Im so tired of it. We deserve better. Even the Lions are competitive now. The Cardinals were ina SB a few years ago. The Colts are the luckiest team in the history of the NFL, Elway(event hough they traded the pick), George, Manning, Luck. The top 4 rated QBs of the last 20 years and the Colts had the #1 pick for all of them. How is that fair?

I hope Rg3 is the truth, but right now, Im scared. The offense is a gimmick and I dont even know if he can play under center yet. I just dont get the feeling I do when I watch him as to watching the other good QBs yet. I want that feeling, I want the feeling taht I know we will be ok because our QB can take us the length of the field in seconds.

As GM I dont know whatd Id do anymore, but Id get a coach that can make Rg3 the real deal. Sean PAyton, hell, I dont care who, just someone taht can finally make us relevant. God, I feel like crying anymore.

We just keep making excuses for Shanny and the Skins man. Its honestly just heart breaking anymore. Faithful fans just keep coming back and we keep getting hurt. Im so tired of it. We deserve better. Even the Lions are competitive now. The Cardinals were ina SB a few years ago. The Colts are the luckiest team in the history of the NFL, Elway(event hough they traded the pick), George, Manning, Luck. The top 4 rated QBs of the last 20 years and the Colts had the #1 pick for all of them. How is that fair?

I hope Rg3 is the truth, but right now, Im scared. The offense is a gimmick and I dont even know if he can play under center yet. I just dont get the feeling I do when I watch him as to watching the other good QBs yet. I want that feeling, I want the feeling taht I know we will be ok because our QB can take us the length of the field in seconds.

As GM I dont know whatd Id do anymore, but Id get a coach that can make Rg3 the real deal. Sean PAyton, hell, I dont care who, just someone taht can finally make us relevant. God, I feel like crying anymore.

I feel your pain, and I agree that the current state of the team is in large part because of Shanny, but I don't think anyone, including Parcells, could make this a consistent playoff team in one year. The Skins suck at too many positions, and in many cases its not a problem with developing players. It's a need to replace players that suck. But doing a roster revamp with no #1s and a $15M penalty just won't happen. A high price was paid for RG3, and the priority should be that he develops into a quality QB, not a gimmick QB, and that he stay healthy. If RG3 were to suffer a serious injury, it would set the team back 5 years. That means getting OL help and real receivers for next year with whatever $ we can muster. In turn, the defense will be neglected. And the defense is really, really bad right now.

Am I reading this right? You want to give Doesnt Really Care 10 million per year?

DRC is probably best CB on the market this upcoming year (besides maybe Talib), and is probably in line for something similar to what Carr or Finnegan received, both of whom got 10M/year. If his price is lower, then great, but I'm assuming that's what he'll be looking at.

Not ideal, but we're hurting at CB, and he's going to get paid handsomely by someone. He played badly last year, but he's playing a lot better this year, 3 INTs tie him for 6th in the league, and 9 passes defended ties him at 11th.

If we can get Talib here, or if Cason or Smith escape their respective teams, then I'd be fine with them, but Cason is heir apparent to Jammer and not going anywhere I think, and Smith got promoted when Miami traded Davis. Beyond that, there's some #2 CBs and Nickel guys out there, but no one on the level with DRC and Talib.

I wouldn't have a huge problem going into 2013 with say, Wilson, Owens, and McKelvin as our top 3 players, but our secondary will still want for a top corner.

Start with cleaning out the entire coaching staff and hiring a younger cordinator as HC. Someone with something on the line that will get the players to play like there is something on the line. What is the fascination with Jon Gruden? Retreads very rarely work and then there's the small fact of no head coach has ever won a superbowl with 2 teams. Hiring Gruden won't change a thing.

1: Get rid of Haslett and Smith.

2: If I'm in charge of picking the DC, I get Reggie Herring from the Texans, or Keith Butler from the Steelers. Preferably Herring. Dunno any ST or ST assistants.

3: I cut Fletcher with a heavy heart, or pressure him into retiring. Maybe he can be assistant LB coach? Well, this is assuming he continues to suck. For all we know, he's just playing hurt (balance issues?) and a 2 week bye will get him back to something approaching his normal form.

4: Cut Hall

5: Restructure or cut Moss

6: Cut Brown unless he shows a lot in the last 7 games

7: Fight to get that cap space back

8: Sign Jarius Byrd if at ALL possible (the Bills would be crazy to let him walk imo)

9: Sign Shaun Smith from Miami

10: Sign Jared Cook from Tenneseee

Then draft Oday Aboushi round 2, Quinton Patton round 3, and Montee Ball round 4.

QB: RGIII

HB: Morris/Ball/Helu

FB: Young

WR: Garcon

WR: Hankerson

WR: Morgan

WR: Moss/Robinson

WR: Patton

TE: Cook/Davis/Paulsen

LT: Trent Williams/Polumbus

LG: KL/LeRibeus

C: Monty/Gettis

RG: Chester/LeRibeus

RT: Aboushi/Polumbus

LE: Carriker/Jenkins

NT: Cofield/Jenkins/Baker

RE: Bowen/Carriker/Jenkins

OLB: Orakpo/Jackson

MLB: Riley

MLB: Robinson

OLB: Kerrigan/Jackson/draft pick?

CB: Shaun Smith

CB: Josh Wilson

FS: Jarius Byrd

SS: Brandon Meriweather

KR/PR: Robinson

K: Forbath

P: Draft pick? Or maybe Rocca if healthy.

That's a 9-12 win team next year, with the vast majority of the personnel under 30, and a large segment of that under 25.

Duh, why didnt I think of that. And, I believe hes over-rated as well.

If we're basing purely on his play last year, yeah he'd be very overrated, but his play this year has been much improved. Not to mention, Philly's pass rush has been even more non-existent than ours, and yet their pass defense is still somewhere around 13th in the league.

If Shanahan likes someone else though, that's fine, I wouldn't mind adding a Shields or someone with some upside.

The first thing I would do is force Shanahan to fire Haslett and Slowik on defense and Hilliard on offense.

I'm not sure what Mike Zimmer's contract is with the Bengals but if it is up I would hire him as defensive coordinator if he agree's to leave the Bengals. He runs a 4-3 in Cincinnati but he ran a 3-4 in Dallas with Parcells so he is flexable and it would be up to him what he thinks is best after going over the Redskins roster.

If Zimmer isn't available I would go after Keith Butler from Pittsburgh, he has had offers in the past to leave and hasn't so I guess he would have to be compensated heavily.

After getting the defensive coaches in place I would hope that Shanahan could find an experienced WR coach instead of former players like the last two wr coaches because I see no improvement at all in any of the wide receivers the Redskins bring in.

Next up would be moving cap expert Eric Shaffer's desk ito my office and spend the next couple of months figuring out how to restuctor a bunch of contracts and fit a bunch of new contracts under the salary cap, while the owner (Dan Snyder), president (Bruce Allen) and a team of lawyers take on the NFL to get our cap space back.

With the money we save from cutting some players, re-doing some contacts and the cap space we get back we can now sign the players we need to field a competitive team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG MONEY SIGNINGS

1. Jairus Byrd FS- Will play the Troy Polamalu role in this defense.

2. Mike Wallace WR- Pittsburgh signed Antonio Brown to a 6yr 43.1 million dollar contract and he isn't half the threat that Wallace is.

3. Sean Smith CB- Miami propably won't let him go but none of the other stuff I'm projecting is going to happen either:)

PLAYERS I WOULD WANT IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT

4. Eben Britton RT- Never really played up to his potential in Jacksonville hopefully a change of scenery helps

5. Aubrayo Franklin NT- Up there in years but a cheap stop gap to a major need until we develop a better option

6. Delanie Walker TE- If Davis resigns and is healthy we may not need this move

7. Tracy Porter CB- A quality starting CB when healthy

8. Kenny Phillips SS- Another good player when healthy

9. Kyle Arrington CB

10. Larry Foote ILB- If Butler is the DC Foote would be ideal to bring in as a system fit

12. Joselio Hanson CB- A decent nickle/dime cornerback, he should have been signed this year

13. Devery Henderson WR- Speed receiver but they never seem to do well once they leave Brees

14. Keenan Lewis CB-- Playing suprisingly well for the Steelers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess thats it and for the record I don't expect any of this to happen!

get all the fastest players in the draft. a fast receiver, a fast running back to compliment morris, fast corners, fast safeties, fast linebackers. our team has always been too slow on both sides of the ball. we need people who are home run threats. DB's who if get beat can catch back up. linebackers who can keep up with this new breed of TE's

Skip the draft then Al and go right to the Olympics.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

I'd try to do everything possible to help outside those restrictions, ie. as some have mentioned before I'd want the absolute best, largest, most effective scouting department imaginable and the best coaching staff possible. Maximize your efforts outside of the Mara-straitjacket.
Very difficult to answer, do you jump ship on Shanahan or do you stick with him two more years but force his hand in changing the DC position? When he came here the offense was anemic, the D was good. Now the opposite is true. In this case the GM does not acquire the talent nor the coaches, so getting players is not an option. I would personally beef up the personnel department and search out UDFA, the CFL and late round unknown gems. Without the money this is going to be where you can build depth. I would push to spend money on a safety, a corner and maybe a WR if you can pull it off within the budget.

Just saying......

Casserly added that the Redskins can overcome those handicaps. “They’ve got to get lucky with some late-round draft picks, with some undrafted free agents,” he said. “They just have to scout very well and find some guys in other ways.”

When people in and around the sport are asked to list the Redskins’ needs they almost invariably list a wide receiver and a right tackle on offense. They also talk about the team’s glaring needs for a cornerback or two and a safety on defense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-roster-needs-to-improve/2012/11/09/98c7b590-2a96-11e2-b4e0-346287b7e56c_story.html

The Redskins needs to renegotiate with as many people as possible, in addition to the cuts we're suggesting. Look at Williams, Chester, Montgomery, Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Maybe sign Orakpo to an extension and cut his base salary next year. I don't know if Morgan or Garcon would be willing to renegotiate one year into deals or not.

I agree only allow Shanny to coach. If he disagrees, then pay him off and send all the coaches including little Shanny packing. Then bring in a GM with full authority to run the draft. Upgrade the scouting department and let go of existing scouts. If Shanny stays, then let Hilliard go, and both coordinators go. Go back to 4-3 defense and draft defensive linemen accordingly. In free agency go after two defensive cornerbacks who can cover receivers better than Hall and Wilson. If Wilson is our number 3 cornerback, then we are o.k. On offense I would see if another team would give me any draft picks for Kirk Cousins and trade him. I would go after some taller receivers out of college but not before I had some decent offensive linemen on the team. I would keep the injured lineman who did not play this year that 5 or 6 teams are trying to get now.

I'd value draft picks more earnestly than we've done in the past. I know we've taken a hit (of sorts) in dealing for RG3 but nobody in any Front Office would say that was a foolish move given the early results on the field from him. In the past oh, 15 years we've really not valued the draft as we should have imho.

How do the Redskins fix a last-ranked defense when they currently have ~$2.2 million in cap space, the cap penalty next year, and no first round draft picks for the next two years?

You live with what you have and coach them up. Most of these guys have played football from age 6. With the draft picks we still have, work on the lines.an CB's A lot of players in round two through 6 have made the pro bowl However, Step number 1 is get rid of Haslett.. I don't think Rex Ryan. will be with the Jets next season. He was never ment to be a top Head Coach but is a very good DC. The other coaches mentioned would also be fine but they don't need a job next season. Let's just see how this all plays out. We have the start of a very good team in Washington. Give it two years and not a lot of teams will like to play the Redskins...

Archived