Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Official 2012/2013 Winter Weather Thread***

Skins24

Our first legit cold shot will come just in time for Christmas.

Next weeks storm will likely be rain. Any thing after that, snow.

First chance of some flurries is next Friday. Christmas eve, models have been flip flopping on a system that would bring more than just flurries.

If we don't see anything, it'll still be cold (high temps barely making the 30s) so, at least it'll feel like winter *shrugs*

cool story bro...u do know that its only december, and winter doesnt actually start until the 21st, right? we have all of january and february to get snow. most winters that i've lived in the DMV area (im in long island for freshman year of college), we havent gotten much snow in december, with the exception of my 9th, 10th and 11th grade years.

Yeah I've lived in the in the DMV a little longer than you and I off the top of my head I can think of two Decembers where it's been 65 degrees. This year and last year.

Yeah I've lived in the in the DMV a little longer than you and I off the top of my head I can think of two Decembers where it's been 65 degrees. This year and last year.
It hit at least 70 in the Dec in the following years: 1889 1924 1931 1950 1965 1966 1970 1971 1978 1979 1980 1984 1990 1998 2001 2006. Soooooo, yeah. The last 2 years haven't even tickled record highs for Dec, and as you can see, 1978-1980 we hit 70 3 years in a row.

It hit at least 70 in the Dec in the following years: 1889 1924 1931 1950 1965 1966 1970 1971 1978 1979 1980 1984 1990 1998 2001 2006. Soooooo, yeah. The last 2 years haven't even tickled record highs for Dec, and as you can see, 1978-1980 we hit 70 3 years in a row.

And this area had one of it's biggest snowstorms ever in 1979, so having warmer temperatures now doesn't mean much in terms of whether we may get snow later this winter.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2008/02/huge_snowfall_shuts_down_dc_ar.html

We hit 65 at least once EVERY December...

Not a big deal at all and certainly not a harbinger of what the winter holds.

We hit 65 in 2009 two days before that first blizzard in December.

Anyway, this Monday it may hit the mid 50s. Enjoy it. Temps are going to fall then tank for the foreseeable future.

Though the after Christmas storm looks more promising right now, still watching for the 23rd-24th timeframe. That storm may slip out to sea, but still bears watching (it would definitely be snow as the after Christmas storm will be.)

That's fine. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. What was the avg temps for Dec in those years?

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

Ok. Global warming is a myth, 60 deg Decembers are normal, I'm an idiot. Yeah.

That's fine. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. What was the avg temps for Dec in those years?

Well, if you took that fom my post I think you need to take a deep breath. I was simply pointing out 60 in Dec isn't uncommon around here.

I am trying to figure out how you got to this from his post. Lol

It's all but certain now that there's going to be a HUGE Christmas storm. Fortunately for this area, it looks like it won't affect us until after Christmas, but it looks like the majority of the country will have to deal with this storm.

Models are still trying to figure out what happens when it hits the east. Early runs had it becoming a nor'easter giving us tons of snow. Runs the past couple of days have had it going up to our west putting us on the warm side, giving us tons of rain. Latest runs have started to shift east again.

This Friday cold air is going to start to spill in. From all the runs seen so far it looks like that cold air will still be there in the beginning of the storm for us. So even if puts us on the warm side, the precipitation starts off frozen. And if we are on the warm side, it'll be a one day thing. We go back in the freezer after this storm.

That's important to note because the models have been remarkable consistent with a little New Years Day snow. That storm doesn't look to be as strong as the Christmas storm, but the cold air will be well entrenched by then.

It's all but certain now that there's going to be a HUGE Christmas storm. Fortunately for this area, it looks like it won't affect us until after Christmas, but it looks like the majority of the country will have to deal with this storm.

Models are still trying to figure out what happens when it hits the east. Early runs had it becoming a nor'easter giving us tons of snow. Runs the past couple of days have had it going up to our west putting us on the warm side, giving us tons of rain. Latest runs have started to shift east again.

This Friday cold air is going to start to spill in. From all the runs seen so far it looks like that cold air will still be there in the beginning of the storm for us. So even if puts us on the warm side, the precipitation starts off frozen. And if we are on the warm side, it'll be a one day thing. We go back in the freezer after this storm.

That's important to note because the models have been remarkable consistent with a little New Years Day snow. That storm doesn't look to be as strong as the Christmas storm, but the cold air will be well entrenched by then.

wow...would hate to see it be as bad as the one 3 years ago, seeing as how it could affect skins vs dallas game if theres lik 24 inches of snow on the ground...

Still model watching now, but in a couple of days this will turn into forecasting as our chances of not seeing any snow next week appear to be diminishing.

Our 3 chances of seeing wintery precip. haven't changed - Christmas day clipper type system, the big possible coastal storm after Christmas (26-27th time frame), and around New Years (Jan. 2, maybe beginning Jan. 1)

Short term, winter comes in strong tomorrow. Winter Storm Warnings out west may be upped to Blizzard Warnings. High Wind Watch for everyone else, and don't be surprised tomorrow of a passing snow shower even in the immediate metro. The cold front passing through now is definitely a game changer.

wow...would hate to see it be as bad as the one 3 years ago, seeing as how it could affect skins vs dallas game if theres lik 24 inches of snow on the ground...

I've been quietly wishing since the moment I saw the schedule that I would get to attend a final game of the season, playoffs on the line Dallas game that's played during a huge snowstorm. For me, that would be football perfection (barring a loss, obviously). Keeping my fingers crossed for this.

Still model watching now, but in a couple of days this will turn into forecasting as our chances of not seeing any snow next week appear to be diminishing.

Our 3 chances of seeing wintery precip. haven't changed - Christmas day clipper type system, the big possible coastal storm after Christmas (26-27th time frame), and around New Years (Jan. 2, maybe beginning Jan. 1)

I would love to have some winter weather...I'm not going back to work until 1/2, so let it snow during my winter break!

Archived