Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Official 2012/2013 Winter Weather Thread***

Skins24

Blizzard blasts upper Midwest

(CNN) -- Does the end of the world start with a snowstorm?

Probably not, but a blizzard in the upper Midwest is proving potent enough to cut power to tens of thousands of homes and force schools to call it quits from Nebraska to southern Wisconsin Thursday -- one day ahead of the official arrival of winter and, as it happens, the predicted Mayan apocalypse.

Blinding snow also is blamed for a 30-car pileup on Interstate 35 near Fort Dodge, Iowa, in which two people died, including a 43-year-old Arkansas woman, Sgt. Scott Bright of the Iowa State Patrol said Wednesday.

As much as another foot of wet, heavy snow is expected in places, accompanied by winds gusting to 50 mph and blowing snow that could reduce visibility to just about zero, forecasters warn.

In Omaha, Nebraska, utility crews struggled overnight -- sometimes in near whiteout conditions -- to restore power to 38,500 customers left in the dark by the storm, according to the Omaha Public Power District. The utility urged customers to brace for slow going.

http://cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2012/12/20/pkg-lance-blizzard-warnings.cnn

Click on the link for more

Going to Chicago.... which is pretty far west. So, I should be trying that tomorrow?

Oh, lol

Yeah, you're going to go through a LOT of snow.

Sunday definitely looks like a better option.

The main thing about tomorrow, will be the winds. The amount of snow that's actually falling is going to lighten up a bit tomorrow, but with winds up to 40, you won't be able to tell...

Well at least we're not experiencing the weather they're getting in Siberia:

A Siberian man has filmed himself thowing a pot of boiling water from a balcony - to see it turn instantly to snow.

The unidentified man showed a temperature reading of minus 41 degrees Celsius on his mobile phone before launching the water out the window.

The man, from Novosibirsk resident, tossed it from one of the top floors of his apartment building, and watched it instantly turn into a shower of snow.

The footage has emerged as parts of Russia experience the lowest temperatures for more than half a century.

In the far eastern regions of the country temperatures have fallen to minus 50 degrees Celsius, with minus 20 degrees Celsius recorded in central parts.

Link

Looks like that clipper system Monday will not come far enough south to effect those living in Maryland, according to the NWS it just may graze us here in Northeastern PA maybe a quick inch or two the farther north and west toward New York State the better chance of accumulating snow. But according to the NWS the best chance of snow will be Wendsday night into Thursday.

Looks like that clipper system Monday will not come far enough south to effect those living in Maryland, according to the NWS it just may graze us here in Northeastern PA maybe a quick inch or two the farther north and west toward New York State the better chance of accumulating snow. But according to the NWS the best chance of snow will be Wendsday night into Thursday.

That's weird. I wonder what they're looking at. Most models don't show this to being an Alberta clipper, but a small system COMING from the south...

I think our best chance of seeing substantial snow will be with the Jan. 2 storm. That looks to be all snow (and latest GFS gives us close to a foot of snow with that storm.) We may have to deal with a little mix with the system Wed.-Thur.

And if I haven't mentioned it before I'm mentioning it now, extremely cold air is coming in behind that January storm. Extremely cold. Possibly record breaking cold.

Of course it's still a couple weeks away and could change but that has also been consistent in the models.

I logged into ES to see if anybody had mentioned the coming storms yet.

The Christmas Eve storm seems to be a pain for the meteorologists to predict. The rain snow line is really up for grabs. Better chances north and east as usual but I don't think any model has really nailed down a track for the storm. From what I understand, our chances (in the immediate DC area) for an all snow event are slim. It will most likely be all rain but could have mixing at the onset. I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Christmas Eve storm. It has all the markings of a typical DC letdown storm.

The January 2 storm seems to be drawing a lot of attention though. Most of the models seem to indicate a major event in some fashion or another. That's the one to look forward to.

After that, it will be very, very cold in these parts. Getting some moisture during that period would be great.

That's weird. I wonder what they're looking at. Most models don't show this to being an Alberta clipper, but a small system COMING from the south...

I think our best chance of seeing substantial snow will be with the Jan. 2 storm. That looks to be all snow (and latest GFS gives us close to a foot of snow with that storm.) We may have to deal with a little mix with the system Wed.-Thur.

And if I haven't mentioned it before I'm mentioning it now, extremely cold air is coming in behind that January storm. Extremely cold. Possibly record breaking cold.

Of course it's still a couple weeks away and could change but that has also been consistent in the models.

wow, a foot of snow over new years holiday?? man that would be the icing on the cake for my winter break (im off until the 21st)

FYI, the latest models are not looking good for any of the events.

Yep. The good news is the general trends and patterns still look excellent.

The small Christmas Eve system is still there.

The after Christmas storm went back to an Apps runner (meaning it rides up the Appalachians, putting us on the warm side - GFS gives us a little ice turning into a lot of rain)

The New Years system is suppressed.

Fortunately this was all just one run :) And the ensemble means are still excellent with both the EURO and GFS.

Just don't tell me a storm is coming during the Dallas game, please.

Haven't mentioned it before because it won't be that big of a deal, but even with the latest models there IS a little clipper coming through on the 29th. Even the weather channel and the NWS have this in their forecasts now. It doesn't look like the snow will continue until game time, but if that clipper holds off a bit, maybe....

Don't know what I was looking at looking at to many different weather models and websites can give you a headache LOL here is the official report your right:

A FAST MOVING STORM WILL PASS JUST SOUTH OF THE AREA EARLY THIS WEEK. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING A QUICK SHOT OF ACCUMULATING SNOW FROM MONDAY EVENING INTO EARLY CHRISTMAS MORNING. AT THIS TIME IS LOOKS LIKE MUCH OF THE AREA WILL SEE 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOWFALL. A STRONGER...MORE MOISTURE-LADEN STORM...IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE REGION FROM THE SOUTH AND WEST ON WEDNESDAY. THIS SYSTEM COULD BRING SNOW...OR A WINTRY MIX...WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY.

Archived