Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Official 2012/2013 Winter Weather Thread***

Skins24

Kevin's opinion means about as much to me as Rex Grossman's injury status. The potential Nor'Easter has been brought up here about a week ago so he's a bit late.

Just a tad bit... BTW the models came back closer to the coast again. I'll hold judgement until the EURO comes out this afternoon.

You guys really should try speaking English rather than posting jargon that only weather geeks can understand.

The National Weather Service's short-range model (N. American Mesoscale) showed a further west precipitation area in its latest run, indicating a greater chance of effects in the metropolitan area.

You guys really should try speaking English rather than posting jargon that only weather geeks can understand.

The National Weather Service's short-range model (N. American Mesoscale) showed a further west precipitation area in its latest run, indicating a greater chance of effects in the metropolitan area.

Granted, it's just one model, one run.

Try and keep up ;)

Several different models we use:

NAM (American model)

GFS (American model)

EURO (European model)

UKMET (Euro's little brother)

GGEM

CMC

NOGAPS (this model is terrible and no one ever uses it useless to make fun of it)

High resolution models:

These are typically used 48 hours out.

HRRR

SREF

Every different model has what Mets call biases or where the model tends to overdo parts of a storm. For instance the NAM traditionally has a warm biases, although I thought it was corrected. The GFS has a cold biases but I believe it was also corrected in the spring. The EURO has an over phase biases, where it typically depicts the storm stronger then what it will be. Example would be Sandy when it was spitting out what we thought were insane numbers, but unfortunately that was not the case.

Sticksboi and anyone else feel free to help me out.

weather.com is saying an inch is expected in Upper Montgomery. Is this some sort of sick joke? It's the first week of November. Come on...

eh maybe....there is a lot of dry air right now and the precip will have to make it through there. But yes this is early for snowflakes

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 12:48 PM ----------

Any updates on the track of this storm? This thread has been ignored, like something important has been happening the last 24 hours. WTF?

no storm...minor snow showers.

Absolutely disgusting up here in NYC right now. Wet snow since about 12 pm and its cold as a mother

and to make things worse, i am wearing shorts..i am crazy.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 04:22 PM ----------

The Weather Channel is such a joke it's unreal. Some moderate east coast snow event and they name it? Uh, no. That's for hurricanes only.

actually, weather.com reported that for the 2012-2013 winter season, they will start naming all winter snow storms.

Archived