Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Shallen Get Playoff Talent by 2014???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I have my doubts. Next offseason is going to be subpar, unless they can find some DEFENSIVE diamonds in the rough, like they found Morris.

QB- I don't have to say anything. I am so sorry RGIII that you are surrounded by subpar talent. Give this man skill players like Brady or Rodgers have, and it is SB every year till he retires!

RB- Thank God for diamonds in the rough, am I right? Morris is what Redskins football is supposed to be about (except today, of course)

The OL looks, well, decent. Much more effective than I predicted this year. They've impressed me (well, except today).

LB- we need replacement for Fletch. Let him retire, put him in the Ring of Fame, give him a good job on the staff, but I think he's lost a step (this statement pains me to no end). Maybe Riley is the man who can do it, and I think he has a good shot. Orakpo isn't panning out, Kerrigan is, and the depth is pretty darned good (without the injuries, of course)

These are the problem areas, as I see it: WR-why, oh Lord, can we not find any good receivers? How does this happen to us year after year after year??? What voodoo curse did the franchise incur after the Posse left? The Iggles for ****'s sake are able to fall out of bed and find excellent recievers.

DB's- Well, D'uh. This is our Achilles' Heel. We need 2-3 starter-quality backs, and with the salary cap issue it will be well nigh impossible to get that. I'm over DHall, and Madeiuduuw or whatever the hell his name is can go to Dallas. Gomes is never going to be more than a backup, Reed is a UFL all-pro playing in the NFL, Wilson painfully average, and the youngsters aren't ready.

DL- I like our group, but they've done bupkis this year. No pressure on the QB. I had high hopes about Jarvis, but he's not there yet. They simply aren't that good, and coupled with a terrible secondary and a class A moron calling defensive plays...

K- I'm still behind Cobra Kai (Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy, Sir!!), but I'm still unsold. I mean, who the hell gets an XP blocked (except Gano)??

Coaching- The Shanny's now have their toy QB/Ferrari, but they need some better playmakers. Maybe Garcon will heal his metatarsal plate and come and be great for us, but I am thinking he won't be back this year. He'll need surgery, just wait. But they almost have the pieces they need for the offense we've been craving (we seen many, many flashes since RGIII came aboard). 11 drops, though?

Haslett is a bum. He needs to go, if not at the bye week, then as soon as the final gun sounds in week 17. His defense take me back to the atrocities Mike Nolan used to come up with in the 90s, Vanilla ice cream anyone? And more importantly, I think he's lost the defense. No discipline (exhibit A: DHall), no fire (Exhibit B: the DL), no confidence in his playcalls (Exhibit C: everybody on defense). Maybe if they cut him loose now, the defense will rally around Morris, and remember that they have to earn their jobs.

At 3-5, we have to work hard to get to .500, which is the ceiling. Otherwise, I see us winning no more than 2 games this year. As far as playoffs in '13 or '14? I don't see it unless there is a wholesale change in philosophy with the defensive decision makers, and that starts at the top.

There are just a handful of talented players on this team ...

1/ RG III

2/ Albert Morris

3/ S. Rocca

4/ Ryan Kerrigan

5/ Josh Wilson

6/ Rob Johnson

7/ London Fletcher

And, then you have Fred Davis, Pierre Garcon, Brian Orakpo all of who are done for the year.

We really need to fix the Pass Rush, Secondary, and Get Offensive Playmakers.

that's an interesting point but I think the 9ers had more talent on both sides of the ball after years of losing and stock piling picks. The skins haven't had good draft picks over the years to help them with depth or talent.

Not to mention they were in a weaker (at least it was last year) division. And look at the 49ers now. They don't look so dominant and unbeatable now.

A lot of folks are overreacting to this loss. Its not like when the 0-16 Lions beat the team. Its the Steelers! They have a two time winning Superbowl qb starting for them and coach on the sideline. And Dick LeBeau is one of the greatest DCs in the leauge history. The Skins will be ok. Now if they lose to Car this badly then we should be freakin out.

There are just a handful of talented players on this team ...

1/ RG III

2/ Albert Morris

3/ S. Rocca

4/ Ryan Kerrigan

5/ Josh Wilson

6/ Rob Johnson

7/ London Fletcher

And, then you have Fred Davis, Pierre Garcon, Brian Orakpo all of who are done for the year.

We really need to fix the Pass Rush, Secondary, and Get Offensive Playmakers.

LOL is this post a joke? Sav Rocca?? At #3??? And wtf is Rob Johnson??

I thought we were going in the right direction until I see this team keep giving up the big play and making mistakes that discipline teams don't make. Josh Morgan is an accident waiting to happen. He has made more boneheaded plays than good ones. DeAngelo Hall is another one. The real question is when is this team going to stop shooting themselves in the foot? When are they going to hold these boneheads accountable? When is this team going to learn discipline and learn how to tackle? Shanahan is doing his part but he needs a better staff which means Haslett has to go next year or sooner if we want this team to succeed.

Let's start with the offense.

-We have a rock solid backfield with RG3, Darrel Young an Alfred Morris.

-Our line is good, not great but not bad. Trent is a stud and LT is most important position. Improve at RT and we're fine.

-WR and TE could use a boost. No one could catch today. Garcon will eventually be healthy and he can produce. Hopefully Morgan, Robinson and Hankerson all develop, but we have no reason to think they will. Paulsen is young and could get a good TE for us. Paul can't run, catch or block. Who knows Davis' future with the team.

Move to defense.

-In the 3-4 linebackers are most important. Kerrigan is a stud. Orakpo? I love him, but I could do without him. He's going to want a big contract, and Rob Jackson is better overall than he is at a much lower rate (He can't pass rush like Orakpo, but he at least tries to play the run and he's better vs the pass). London is on the way out, so we need a partner for Riley

-DL doesnt get any pressure but is okay against the run. Jenkins could potentially develop for us.

-Secondary we need an entire new cast.

So we have young studs at three key positions: QB, LT, OLB. Our offense is good enough to win. We need to build a secondary. Considering we are going to have to start from scratch, I don't know if we'll be ready to win in 2014.

Look im disappointed in the team we have. Mostly because we keep players to dang long. If this was Billacheat Hall would be gone, Moss would be gone, Reed would be gone, and Fletcher would be too. We might as well started every young player this year.

But I believe if we can add a Stud WR, two studs in the secondary, and a Stud on the Dline we will be there.

This is a borderline playoff team with a real DC and ST coach and decent health. When Spanos was the defacto DC last year, with the same guys at DB, we were 12th against the pass. Remember how good Josh Wilson was last year? Remember how good our pass rush was last year? Our talent is good, but you could put Haslett on the 49ers or Texans and he'd have them at middle of the pack or worse because he's just not a good coach. Do you think the Texans run vanilla 2 gap with a soft zone shell? Or the Niners? Even with talent, if you can't call good defensive plays, you'll get exposed because NFL offenses are too good to get away with that crap.

I have to believe this Defense is significantly better with a healthy Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather and unsuspended Jackson. I have to believe this offense is even better with a healthy Garcon and Davis. We get all those players back next year (possibly jackson unless suspended forever) and we add some significant free agents and draft picks to the secondary, we should be ready to compete in Griffin's sophomore campaign.

And I think all the Orakpo doubters/haters should think long and hard about what he means to our defense. Have you seen any pass rush these last few games? It isn't as easy for Kerrigan to cause havoc when he doesn't have Orakpo on the other side. I hope that pec is fully healed going into next season. Otherwise, we're still in trouble and are going to have to spend money on a 3-4 outside linebacker that can actually rush the passer. Jackson is a nice little solid player, but he's clearly no Orakpo

I have to believe this Defense is significantly better with a healthy Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather and unsuspended Jackson. I have to believe this offense is even better with a healthy Garcon and Davis. We get all those players back next year (possibly jackson unless suspended forever) and we add some significant free agents and draft picks to the secondary, we should be ready to compete in Griffin's sophomore campaign.

Then we'll lose 6-7 different players to season-ending injuries next year. And their backups won't be ready to play at a high level. It's been happening every year. I see no reason why that will change.

I voted "no". This defense is much worse than last year and I don't see how it can get better in 2 years without 1st round picks and the cap penalty next year.

We need upgrades at RT, one more big WR, and the rest on defense. Bring in a DC who knows what he is doing. We're not a team that needs to go 13-3 every year. We have a player that is going to give us a chance to win against ANYONE so as long as we get into the show we have a chance. Just look at the garbage Giants last year.

I think we'll be okay in 2014. This season isn't over yet but so far I like the direction this team is going. The Pitt loss is the exception as this was bound to happen due to so many injuries. Anyway we need to improve the secondary, add a real Nose Tackle, a maybe a situational pass rusher. I know we dont have a 1st rounder for the next 2years but we can always parlay our picks into more picks and I also think we need another WR opposite Garçon like Wallace from the Steelers. A wideout that can stretch the defense would allow more running lanes for Morris and defenses would be reluctant to load the box. We definately need to stick with the 3-4 but change coordinators. Jim just doesnt know how to utilize his personnel and can't make adjustments on the fly. Our cap situation doesn't look good but I think Bruce and Mike will figure out how to absorb the 18 mil and get some FA help. My thinking is they ask some players to take a smaller salary in 2013 thereby pushing the larger portions into 2014 (backload) which would then give us well over 20 mil in cap space to spend.. Right now we have 5 to 6million available to spend so guys like Brown, Hall, Carriker, and Moss can save us over 15-24 mil if we release them. I think they'll restructure Coefield, Garçon, Fletcher, and Morgan which could free up and additional 10-12 million. I think we stay the course with the Shanahan's and Bruce for RGIII's development.

Doubts about Shanahan are starting to creep in this season. I'm not saying he has to go, but I've certainly changed my stance about him being on the hot seat. He has to be on the hot seat. Enough is enough with the losing. I'm just getting tired of the losing. Tired of the losing. Tired of losing. Tired.

They desperately need DB talent and a #1 WR. Garcon may be that guy. They also need some luck in the injury department. They can fix these problems through FA and the draft. Now that it appears the QB problem is solved for the next 10+ years, the Skins can focus on these other areas w/o giving up the farm.

As a whole, I've liked Mike Shanahan's personnel decisions, but I will wait until the end of his contract before making a judgement on him as the head coach. Considering the pathetically hopeless situation he inherited, I think he's done pretty good in spite of his win-loss record.

no...I am tired of everyone making excuses.

Where is the accountability?

maybe I am just frustrated...

I'm there with you man. Getting tired of the excuses (cap penalty, age, scheme, lack of picks, injuries, blah, blah, blah). We need to start winning games. Plain and simple. Just getting tired of this ****. Really tired.

The Defense will get fixed, but it may take until next year.

The offense will continue to strengthen and the ST's can only get better.

At least the 'skins are no longer the laughing stock of the league and they are competitive just about every week.

For now, that's the realistic expectation and they are meeting or exceeding that.

Give them some time.

Last year the offense sucked. This year the defense. It seems like the team is a dam in Holland. Plug one leak and 2 more open up. It seems like a neverending battle to constantly retool.

True we are no longer the laughingstock of the league, but we're still the laughingstock of the NFC East, which is what I care more about. We're still in last place as usual and look to be in the basement again this season....you know, our rightful place. Irrelevant in the NFC East again.

True we are no longer the laughingstock of the league, but we're still the laughingstock of the NFC East, which is what I care more about. We're still in last place as usual and look to be in the basement again this season....you know, our rightful place. Irrelevant in the NFC East again.

At least we have company this year. Philly and Dallas both suck as well.

This board is called "Extreme" for a reason. Next week we'll beat Carolina on a late Kai Forbath field goal and people will be discussing how we can get into the paloffs :)

Last year the offense sucked. This year the defense. It seems like the team is a dam in Holland. Plug one leak and 2 more open up. It seems like a neverending battle to constantly retool.

Man it's so true. The redskins are like the famous singers who go broke, but try to make a comeback to be relevant again.

I can't wait until this feeling go away.

Agreed.

Plus I would want Shanny to bring in his guys, so if things aren't going right it's no question who to blame.

That's a good point that I didn't consider. Yeah we haven't really (and I mean REALLY) known who was bringing in players in the past. Was in Vinny? Did Synder have a say? Was it the coach, Gibbs? Or members of his staff.

---------- Post added October-29th-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

Not to mention they were in a weaker (at least it was last year) division. And look at the 49ers now. They don't look so dominant and unbeatable now.

A lot of folks are overreacting to this loss. Its not like when the 0-16 Lions beat the team. Its the Steelers! They have a two time winning Superbowl qb starting for them and coach on the sideline. And Dick LeBeau is one of the greatest DCs in the leauge history. The Skins will be ok. Now if they lose to Car this badly then we should be freakin out.

I agree with your first point completely however there I wouldn't sleep on Carolina. They aren't playing their best football right now but they could easily be 6-1. All of their games have come down to the last play. The only difference is they have been on the losing end more often than the Skins. I wouldn't even freak out if the Skins lost this game. It'll probably be really close and come down to the last drive like all the rest of the games these two teams have played.

---------- Post added October-29th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

I agree with your first point completely however there I wouldn't sleep on Carolina. They aren't playing their best football right now but they could easily be 6-1. All of their games have come down to the last play. The only difference is they have been on the losing end more often than the Skins. I wouldn't even freak out if the Skins lost this game. It'll probably be really close and come down to the last drive like all the rest of the games these two teams have played.

they have shown no ability to get good talent up to this point, so I don't see why anyone would expect them to change. Outside of RG3, this team has little to no talent, and most of that talent was here before Shallen got here. So in 3 years, what talent has Shallen been able to find? we gave them a 1 year pass on the defense, swithichng schmes and all, but what is the excuse for the D this year? This is suppose to be the year that "new" 3-4 system finally starts to gel, and it has gelled into the worst pass defense in NFL history.

In a perfect world, Shallen would come in after this current rebuilding coach was fired, because that is what Shallen is good at, taking a team that has a solid core and filling in big peices as required, neither man has had any success in building a team from the ground up and I don't see them having success building a team here based on the short sighted moves they have made so far.

Archived