Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Shallen Get Playoff Talent by 2014???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I would bet my Redskins fan hood that we make the playoffs in 2014. 2013 we will compete for a spot and we will be in the playoffs 2014. 2015 we will be a SB contender.

I thought this is about where we would be when we drafted RGIII. Anyone who thought we would make the playoffs this year is less then smart.

Seriously though, we need a new training staff.

4 years just to make the playoffs?

no, I don't accept that

So how do you fix the D to compliment Robert with the B/S penalty and a lack of top picks due to the trade?

And shouldn't he get some slack for that the next year or so? Working with one hand tied behind his back?

Hail.

That's the wrong question. Shanahan and Alken are paid a lot of money to answer that. They are judged on results. Were their decisions right and did they win?

Let's look at their decisions in the secondary. Would you say letting Rogers and Landry walk has proven to be a good idea? How about bringing in a safety one failed test away from an indefinite suspension? I don't care what the reasoning was at the time and neither will Dan Snyder. The man that makes the decisions owns the results.

Was the switch the the 3-4 and the hiring of Jim Haslett the right decision? This will be the second of three season in which the defense has been bad. This defense may be record setting bad. Should the coaches remain secure when the results are this terrible? You know the old saying "you can't fire all the players..." Plus those players didnt hire and choose themselves.

The bottom line however is winning and losing. There is no getting around that and 4 years is an incredibly long time for an nfl coach to get to reach or surpass 8-8. Shanahan gets one more year IMO to win enough games to justify his job unless he reall turns things around this season. I'm not say Super Bowl or anything insane. Just win more than you lose and show real progress.

So how do you fix the D to compliment Robert with the B/S penalty and a lack of top picks due to the trade?

And shouldn't he get some slack for that the next year or so? Working with one hand tied behind his back?

Hail.

those don't excuse McNabb, 3-4, Beck/Grossman, and others

the team should not be regressing this bad in year 3 of a rebuild.

How many games do we win if the Browns traded up for RGIII instead of us?

I am so sick of hearing about the cap bs as an excuse...that happened 3 years in!

We should have had a good amount of talent by then.

but no we are literally a two man team and they are both rookies. Nobody that has been here the last 3 years has been making strides with the exception of Kerrigan maybe

Agreed. Harbaugh would have this team 7-1

This is a reach. How many "bad" players does Harbaugh coach?

Our problem is a TALENT PROBLEM. It does not mean that Shanahan, or any of our coaches are above criticism...they are not. But come on, our secondary and pass rush have been decimated, and it is ruining our season.

I felt like with a few breaks, we could contend for a wild card this year. We haven't had any good breaks. I fully expect us to be in contention for playoffs next year. I hope we can get a few wins along the way so that we can build some confidence for our guys and for our fanbase.

This is a reach. How many "bad" players does Harbaugh coach?

Our problem is a TALENT PROBLEM. It does not mean that Shanahan, or any of our coaches are above criticism...they are not. But come on, our secondary and pass rush have been decimated, and it is ruining our season.

I felt like with a few breaks, we could contend for a wild card this year. We haven't had any good breaks. I fully expect us to be in contention for playoffs next year. I hope we can get a few wins along the way so that we can build some confidence for our guys and for our fanbase.

Agreed. We are still working through the years of gross mismanagement by Cerratto and Snyder

how?

this is a completely different team

when does that excuse go out the window?

Devil's advocate here, but the cap penalty we're going through right now is mostly in part to trying to deal with the Haynesworth and Hall contracts during the uncapped year. Both players were brought here before Allen and Shanny...

Devil's advocate here, but the cap penalty we're going through right now is mostly in part to trying to deal with the Haynesworth and Hall contracts during the uncapped year. Both players were brought here before Allen and Shanny...

no...I am tired of everyone making excuses.

Where is the accountability?

maybe I am just frustrated...

Here are the four things personnel wise we need to be a playoff team in my opinion.

1.) Starting caliber talent in the secondary, which we don't have right now at any position, safety or corner.

2.) Orakpo and Carriker to come back healthy, so we can generate a consistent pass rush to help the secondary.

3.) A big wide-receiver to go along with a healthy Garcon, Moss, Davis, Morris, and RG3

4.) Continue to build solid depth, so the team does not break down as soon as a starter or two are out.

that's it, and I see no reason they cannot fill most of those needs in one off-season. The defense just needs to be middle of the pack for this team to win games.

Then that hangs on the heads of Shanallen, and they should be on the hot seat if the Skins crash and burn this year.

Depends on what you mean by crash and burn. This team didn't have a lot of talent going in, and now are seeing injuries all over the place that are making it impossible for us to win games. We lose two of our best players on offense and defense, then go to drop more passes then anyone all season on top of getting run the F over in Pittsburg (which is not uncommon). I was expecting better at the beginning of the season, but right now we're up ***'s creek without a paddle...

---------- Post added October-28th-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

no...I am tired of everyone making excuses.

Where is the accountability?

maybe I am just frustrated...

This is crazy, but I feel its more fans defending these guys then Shanny and Allen acting like its not their fault. I definetly don't agree with everything they've done, but they are better at getting players then Cerratto ever was and getting a franchise QB in DC is something that hasn't been done in decades. For that alone I don't want to kill them yet...

It will eventually if things don't turn around, but not yet. For me, I think if by the end of next season this team is still not making a serious run at the playoffs, then you start to consider a new direction. No need to extend Shanahan. I don't think the Redskins have to make the playoffs next year, but they have to at least be in the thick of it for most of the season. For me, anything less than 8-8 in 2013 and you have to start considering a change at the top.

Playoffs?! Playoffs.. Who's talking playoffs!! Let's see 8-8 by 2014

Below is my version of the weak talent we have here.. BOLD will probably be here in 2014

75% of our roster has changed over in 2 years.. Do we have to make it 99% over 4?!

Quarterback Robert Griffin III Kirk Cousins Rex Grossman

Wide Receiver 1 Santana Moss Joshua Morgan Dezmon Briscoe Pierre Garcon

Wide Receiver 2 Leonard Hankerson Aldrick Robinson Brandon Banks

Running Back Alfred Morris Evan Royster Keiland Williams

Fullback Darrel Young

Tight End Logan Paulsen Niles Paul Chris Cooley

Left Offensive Tackle Trent Williams Maurice Hurt

Left Offensive Guard Kory Lichtensteiger Josh LeRibeus

Center Will Montgomery

Right Offensive Guard Chris Chester Adam Gettis

Right Offensive Tackle Tyler Polumbus Jordan Black

Left Defensive End Jarvis Jenkins Doug Worthington

Nose Tackle Barry Cofield Chris Baker

Right Defensive End Stephen Bowen Kedric Golston

Left Outside Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan Mario Addison

Left Inside Linebacker London Fletcher Lorenzo Alexander

Right Inside Linebacker Perry Riley Keenan Robinson

Right Outside Linebacker Rob Jackson Chris Wilson Brian Orakpo

Left Cornerback DeAngelo Hall Cedric Griffin

Right Cornerback Josh Wilson Richard Crawford David Jones

Strong Safety Reed Doughty DeJon Gomes

Free Safety Madieu Williams Jordan Pugh Brandon Meriweather

how?

this is a completely different team

I understand this sentiment. I truly do. I would say that my "excuse" for this year's team is not a total bash on the previous FO. We signed two stop-gap guys to START at safety for us and NEITHER ONE has played a single snap. This was an area that we addressed as best as we could in the offseason, but a place where we couldn't afford to have injuries.

The football gods are crazy sometimes, it's like they know what your weakest areas are, and they get attacked the most by injuries and such. The same thing happened with our OL last year. We were thin to begin with, and then it got ripped to pieces. Garcon/Sleepy being out hurts us a ton as well.

I didn't expect us to compete for anything this year, so losses like this are easier for me to stomach. I'm a big picture kinda guy, and I will still maintain that I believe we are headed in the right direction. I thought that the 5 year process was about right when Shanny got here, and I still think that's about what it's gonna take. Make no mistake, games like today are unbelievably frustrating to look at, and it pains me to have to watch them for what seems like 8 out of 16 games a year.

Depends on what you mean by crash and burn. This team didn't have a lot of talent going in, and now are seeing injuries all over the place that are making it impossible for us to win games. We lose two of our best players on offense and defense, then go to drop more passes then anyone all season on top of getting run the F over in Pittsburg (which is not uncommon). I was expecting better at the beginning of the season, but right now we're up ***'s creek without a paddle...

---------- Post added October-28th-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

This is crazy, but I feel its more fans defending these guys then Shanny and Allen acting like its not their fault. I definetly don't agree with everything they've done, but they are better at getting players then Cerratto was and getting a franchise QB in DC is something that hasn't been done in decades. For that alone I don't want to kill them yet...

you are correct in that sense man

i appreciate you being always level headed

Exactly. Shanallen inherited a team of old players and no depth. It takes a few years to turn that over. Add to that the cap penalty we are going through and you have the inability to add quality backup players which becomes exposed when you have a rash of injuries. The origins of this mess can be found in the Cerrotto Snyder era. Remember when Shanahan took this job he said it would take 5 season? I think he knew what he was getting himself into.

Look, we got beat by a better team. Lets not overreact, though. I think we will bounce back vs the panthers and be 4-5 going into our bye.

Our secondary continues to be a seive......and it is not helped by the lack of any type of pass rush. We have small cb's in an era where wr and te's are becoming bigger, not smaller. We never seem to play tight coverage.....and good qbs like manning, ryan, rothlisberger light us up. The d allowed the Steelers to grab a huge lead, and to eat clock as well. This led to us running the ball less, and trying to play catchup vs the Steelers. Now I dont think the Steelers are as stacked as in other seasons, especially on defense, but they were spotted a lead by the offense and could just basically come after rgiii. Their d was not afraid of any of our wrs, allowing them to concentrate on rgiii.

That we need some more pieces.....playmakers.....is certain. But I also think we need a different d coord than haz. One that will keep us in the 3-4 but one that may be able to better deploy what talent we have. And.....while I wouldn't get rid of shanny......will admit to being a little frustrated at the speed of our recovery. It seems we have taken a step forward with our qb, but a step back in our secondary as well as other places.

pretty much the same team as always, in most games score wise,their own worst enemy,outcoached & outschemed week in week out.who really thiught this team was going into pitts & winning,really?without RGIII easily 1-7 easily :(

without rg3 i honestly think we are 0-8. i dunno who we could have beat with rex at QB and this defense. at least rg3 ALONE, gives us a chance every game..

I voted a resounding YES.

I still believe in Allen and Shanahan. The professionalism they have brought to the franchise speaks volumes and they are respected throughout the league (except by Mara) :ols:.

They are building a team and while nobody likes growing pains, they are inevitable.

The Defense will get fixed, but it may take until next year.

The offense will continue to strengthen and the ST's can only get better.

At least the 'skins are no longer the laughing stock of the league and they are competitive just about every week.

For now, that's the realistic expectation and they are meeting or exceeding that.

Give them some time.

Not sure how or why anyone thinks they'll build a playoff caliber team by 2014.. They've had 3 years to bring in players and they've brought in a whopping total of like 4, who'd be considered to have talent of any kind, much less "playoff" talent.. IMO they've got 8 games to make this mess look like an actual work "making progress", or Shanny and co. may not make it to year 4..

Archived