Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Shallen Get Playoff Talent by 2014???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Winning in Pittsburg is hard enough, let's first admit that. But 10+ dropped passes and allowing 20 points in the first half sounds again like a rebuilding team, not a playoff contender. My biggest issue with this team right now isn't just the lack of talent, but the question of how do you fix that now? We don't have any first round draft picks until 2015, and we have another $18 million cap hit coming next season.

So here at the mid-point of Shanny's 5 year contract, he has a 14-26 regular season record, no playoff appearances. Again, we brought him here to blow up what was already here. So starting with a horrible 4-12 roster, what we've traded away to get RGIII, and the cap penalty, will Shanny and Allen get the talent we need to be a playoff team before Shanny's contract runs out after 2014???

I feel we have to answer this question first before we start talking about whether or not we should renew his contract if we don't. I feel we need to keep him for the good of RGIII's development. The last thing we need is another JC situation where we have one offensive coordinator after the other coming in possibly stunting or ruining his potential as a franchise QB.

There's plenty of talent in free agency and in the draft to fix the secondary. Our 2nd and third round picks should get us a starter or two. We need Orakpo, Garcon, Davis, and Carriker to come back healthy as well. Who knows in the NFL? We may be a good team next year if we fix what needs to be fixed. Hell, we could be better than the Eagles and Cowboys this year. They don't look much better than us

I'm encouraged. I think that the skins will need to hit free agency hard which will be difficult with that fine (Thanks NY). And it'll be hard without a 1st round pick but I honestly believe that this team is headed in the right direction. I have faith still but I do realize that there are a lot of needs and not enough money and draft picks. The front office will find the right players in the draft to help the team. Just to amend what I said, I hope the skins still with Shanny and extend his contract. The first few years are going to be tough and we just got a rookie QB. I want continuity more than anything at this point. I would be ok with some coaching changes though such as defense and special teams (unless those things can really be resolved with player talent).

See I think a lot of people are forgetting something key here. Previous teams we have had starters yet no depth. Gibbs two showed this especially. What Shanny is doing is building depth but we are lacking starting material in a few key spots. Add the cap penalty and the injury situation I think that by 2014 this team is going to be rock solid from top to bottom. You do not need a 1st round pick to get talent of course it would help but not devastating not having it. Depth has been built in the offense with exception of the TE's and the defense needs depth in the backfield. By 2014 I fully expect a playoff team and if for some reason OTHER than injuries then Shanny needs to be shown the door.

I voted "yes" because of the way we calmly draft in the later rounds and the fact we will be making cuts to go along with the regular cap we'll have following the 2013 season. Griffin and Morris alone is enough to build around on offense, and I don't hate the front seven of our defense. Defense money obviously needs to be prioritised on the secondary.

Also, Hall needs to go. I'm officially on that bandwagon. I don't care where he is in terms of our secondary talent, I can't take his attitude anymore...

If you need a phenom talent like RG III to make your team look semi relevant, that seems more like an indictment on the coaching staff then anything. Good coaches should get some production out of bad players...While RG III is coming along nicely...I can't help but think we can do better. The defense has been a bust. The D-line has been a joke this year, the FAs and draft picks haven't lived up to expectations. That much does fall on Shanny.

Guess I'll throw this out there too then: Should shanny give up some of his player personel decisions so he can focus more on coaching his football team??? There aren't a lot of coaches that have proven they can do both, and it's not like Allen doesn't know what he's doing from a GM perspective...

Renew his contract? That shouldn't even be a topic of conversation. Shanahan needs more wins than losses or he can watch someone else win with RG3. If anything the success of RG3 has increased the pressure on the front office and coaching staff. The biggest excuse of them all is off the table.

Guess I'll throw this out there too then: Should shanny give up some of his player personel decisions so he can focus more on coaching his football team??? There aren't a lot of coaches that have proven they can do both, and it's not like Allen doesn't know what he's doing from a GM perspective...

I think that would be a deal breaker for him. He'd probably quit if something like that were to come up, don't you think?

I don't have the answer, but it will be interesting to see when he's actually expected to produce some results. He can't be here 5 years and not produce a winning season. Barring some unforeseen development, this year won't be a winner, so he's got two years left. If people even have the patience for that.

I think that would be a deal breaker for him. He'd probably quit if something like that were to come up, don't you think?

I don't think so. It depends on how the converstation goes:

If it's "hey, Mike, do you think it's a good idea if maybe you give this part of your job up" and he agrees, it's the best we can hope for.

But even if we take it from him, I doubt he'll say "F U" and leave. He got fired in Denver, where is he going to go and get that responsibility after such a lack of results in Washington???

Renew his contract? That shouldn't even be a topic of conversation. Shanahan needs more wins than losses or he can watch someone else win with RG3. If anything the success of RG3 has increased the pressure on the front office and coaching staff. The biggest excuse of them all is off the table.

So how do you fix the D to compliment Robert with the B/S penalty and a lack of top picks due to the trade?

And shouldn't he get some slack for that the next year or so? Working with one hand tied behind his back?

Hail.

I would bet my Redskins fan hood that we make the playoffs in 2014. 2013 we will compete for a spot and we will be in the playoffs 2014. 2015 we will be a SB contender.

I thought this is about where we would be when we drafted RGIII. Anyone who thought we would make the playoffs this year is less then smart.

Seriously though, we need a new training staff.

Yeah, I don't see that going well. And if Shanny goes, Kye probably goes too, and the whole operation is in upheaval. It's liable to be a clean house situation, Offense, defense, and special teams.

I don't think so. It depends on how the converstation goes:

If it's "hey, Mike, do you think it's a good idea if maybe you give this part of your job up" and he agrees, it's the best we can hope for.

But even if we take it from him, I doubt he'll say "F U" and leave. He got fired in Denver, where is he going to go and get that responsibility after such a lack of results in Washington???

You may be correct but I don't think it's necessary. When he agreed to coach the team it was a disaster. I think we are slowly seeing progress even though it's hard to tell after a loss such as this was. I think any coach with a rookie QB gets a free pass and the offense is performing rather well (again with today being an exception). The defense is a mess and the skins were caught with their pants down at the safety position. What I'm trying to say is I think Shanny gets a pass this year and gets extended for another couple of years (I think 3). I don't know if him being involved in personnel decisions is bad yet. So far, I just don't see it that way ya know

If you need a phenom talent like RG III to make your team look semi relevant, that seems more like an indictment on the coaching staff then anything. Good coaches should get some production out of bad players...While RG III is coming along nicely...I can't help but think we can do better. The defense has been a bust. The D-line has been a joke this year, the FAs and draft picks haven't lived up to expectations. That much does fall on Shanny.

Agreed. Harbaugh would have this team 7-1

The defense made our current situation worst. We knew our secondary was going to be bad but never thought it would be historically bad. We thought our defense was going to be similar or even improve from last season. I think it's evident that the defense will be rebuilt in the draft.

You may be correct but I don't think it's necessary. When he agreed to coach the team it was a disaster. I think we are slowly seeing progress even though it's hard to tell after a loss such as this was. I think any coach with a rookie QB gets a free pass and the offense is performing rather well (again with today being an exception). The defense is a mess and the skins were caught with their pants down at the safety position. What I'm trying to say is I think Shanny gets a pass this year and gets extended for another couple of years (I think 3). I don't know if him being involved in personnel decisions is bad yet. So far, I just don't see it that way ya know

Ya, I see where you're coming from. Our player personell decisions have been way better since him and Allen came in, it's not even funny. But stuff like the Morgan blow up and what just happened with DHall, I have to ask if maybe being part-time GM is being a bit of distraction. Coaches have given up that responsibility before...

Archived