Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall at FS, Start Cedric Griffin at Corner???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ehhhhhhhh......maaaaaybe.

The question is, do I like Williams at FS more than I like Griffin as #2 CB? I'm not sure I do. I mean, it's kind of like, would you like 10 lashes five times or 5 lashes ten times.

What would be ideal is if Crawford stepped up. Doubtful, I mean he's a late round rookie, he's not supposed to step up, but if he could achieve starter status, then I'd feel better about it. Hall and Meriweather back there probably wouldn't be a bad safety unit.

A thought, what would it take to trade for Talib *right now* while he's suspended? Trade deadline is the 30th right? Is that a thing we could do? I figure, the Bucs probably know he's on his way out, he's not playing for another couple games, could we pry him off their hands for cheap, like a 4th rounder maybe? Because getting half a season out of Talib after suspension would make me support the plan to move Hall to FS completely. Talib and Wilson at CB and Hall and Meriweather at S for the last seven or eight games of the season would be a huge upgrade, and might make our secondary not horrible.

I mean, it's a super long shot, and almost certainly wouldn't happen, if it's even possible at all, but that's why it's just a thought.

Once again, the things that make too much sense are the things that we know won't happened. :ols:

It's not about upgrading over Hall, it's about getting Williams off the field. Wilson was playing coverage thinking Williams was playing behind him. Williams ended up being right next to him, letting Cruz behind both of them.

it's difficult to tell as an observer, but it appeared to me that Williams was playing the outside route while Wilson was playing the inside route. so Cruz responded by simply running by them on a deep route.

Yep, because if they get beat at the line, that's it.

The good CBs jamb with no problems, mostly because they have the speed to recover, but ya gotta admit, its not that difficult to jamb one every once in awhile; isn't that one of the reasons for a safety?

Especially in a crucial down or with little time remaining, everyone knows the intentions of the offense

[ well, except maybe Haslett ], disrupting the timing of QB/WR is critical, being the D-line pressure isn't getting there quick enough due to LBs dropping into coverage.

It just makes no sense to give such a big cushion with little or no pressure up front; MayDay was brain dead and blew it anyway, I just hope the dumbass gets this drilled in his head all week...

At the present time, I'm all for trying anything different back there. Whatever we did, it couldn't be any worse.

Two things on this idea though. There's a good chance that as many plays Hall would break up/ intercept, he'd get burned on many more as he can't help but gamble and go for the ball. And at free, that could be ubber costly. And if folk think Hall's bad at corner, wait until Griffin is starting.

I'm all for Gomes and Crawford playing to get experience. But that comes down to whether you think we have a chance of something this year or not.

Hail.

Just an idea, looking for ya'll opinion on it.

I've been felt our safety play was one of our weakest links and it just cost us bad this Sunday. I can't take it anymore with Williams starting at FS, and feel like going full radical with benching him. Griffin started 14 games last year for the Vikings, so its not like that position is foreign to him. I still feel Wilson is our best cover corner, so even if he takes over as #1, the question is what do you do with nickle and dime? Crawford? Can it really be any worse then what we're dealing with right now???

Edit: Again, this isn't about punishing Hall as it is about getting Williams off the field. Enough is enough...

Yes...was discussing this on Twitter last night. Williams is turrible

Just for the record, Wilson was the one that got beat on that bomb yesterday. I actually think Hall has done a pretty good job and Griffin would not be an upgrade over him at all.

Wilson got beat but Williams dropped the ball on this one. He had to know he couldn't keep up w/ Cruz in a foot race. Williams was the safety and got caught flat footed watching Cruz blow by him. Which was fine if he was playing a trail technique. But at the same time Wilson didn't get a bump or anything on Cruz. It just doesn't make sense for the safety to be that close to the LOS when trying to protect a lead.

At the present time, I'm all for trying anything different back there. Whatever we did, it couldn't be any worse.

Two things on this idea though. There's a good chance that as many plays Hall would break up/ intercept, he'd get burned on many more as he can't help but gamble and go for the ball. And at free, that could be ubber costly. And if folk think Hall's bad at corner, wait until Griffin is starting.

I'm all for Gomes and Crawford playing to get experience. But that comes down to whether you think we have a chance of something this year or not.

Hail.

In all fairness ghh corner an safety r 2 different positions an you can't approach or play it the same way...when a corner gambles for a pick he is likely thinking I have safety help if I miss this...a safety just can't jump a route with no help behind him...but I do agree griffin is nt a upgrade at cb over dhall. I figure tmrw when we read about the different cbs an safeties when bring in we will get a clue as to who's in the doghouse (williams) an who's playing a new or different position against Pittsburgh

Crawdog has seen a steep decline in his playing time to David Jones over the past 2 weeks.

OP-

I had a similiar what if thought about moving D.Hall to FS. I think Hall could be a good FS but I worry about making that big a position change mid-season.

But if he were to move to FS I think David Jones would play the other CB as opposed to Griffin or at least I hope he would because Griffin imo isn't very good in coverage and is a worse tackler.(and that stats bear this out). My question is who do you put a SS? Doughty or Maddie? I would put Reed at SS.

But, I think we're more likely to see Pugh replace Maddie then Hall. Chris Russell said that Devin/Devon Holland might be an addition to the practice squad or active roster and I hope they make that move.

Can't have enough young safeties that can run.

it's difficult to tell as an observer, but it appeared to me that Williams was playing the outside route while Wilson was playing the inside route. so Cruz responded by simply running by them on a deep route.

Shanny said himself during the post-game press conference that it was double coverage and they blew it.

I guess the question you have to ask is, could it be any worse? We are on pace to be the worst D (passing yards allowed) in the history of the NFL. Hall has a great nose for the ball, his coverage skill is what I question with him. If Griffin can be just serviceable at CB then I think it would be an overall upgrade. I am not a Hall fan but we dont have many options at this point.

I guess the question you have to ask is, could it be any worse? We are on pace to be the worst D (passing yards allowed) in the history of the NFL. Hall has a great nose for the ball, his coverage skill is what I question with him. If Griffin can be just serviceable at CB then I think it would be an overall upgrade. I am not a Hall fan but we dont have many options at this point.

The answer is a loud and clear no, it couldn't possibly be any worse. But now that it was brought up I actually like moving Griffin to FS and leaving Hall, our best CB where he is. I don't know enough about Griffin to know how he would fit at S though. Any thoughts?

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

what is Adam Archuleta up to these days?

As much as we paid him, he doesn't have to be up to much for a long time..

Crawdog has seen a steep decline in his playing time to David Jones over the past 2 weeks.

OP-

I had a similiar what if thought about moving D.Hall to FS. I think Hall could be a good FS but I worry about making that big a position change mid-season.

But if he were to move to FS I think David Jones would play the other CB as opposed to Griffin or at least I hope he would because Griffin imo isn't very good in coverage and is a worse tackler.(and that stats bear this out). My question is who do you put a SS? Doughty or Maddie? I would put Reed at SS.

But, I think we're more likely to see Pugh replace Maddie then Hall. Chris Russell said that Devin/Devon Holland might be an addition to the practice squad or active roster and I hope they make that move.

Can't have enough young safeties that can run.

I can dig it, and ya, Griffin would be a downgrade at corner in place of Hall. My feeling is that given he was a starter with the vikings last year, and we're on pace to break the record for passing yardage allowed, a major change up is needed and can't make it worse. I'm serious about keeping Williams off the field unless we have to, and am comfotable with Doughty holding down SS until Meriweather gets back. Again, Hall is one of those players that was projected to move to FS anyway with us even if he stays. I feel FS is more important then corner because once you get behind the safety, its over. If Hall is our best secondary play we have standing right now, do it, and don't look back.

We already have 4 loses, and its way easier to get 7 or 8 loses then it is to get 9 or 10 wins. We're running out of real estate, man...

Other way around & YES. Griffin actually was brought here to double at that position & it may happen sooner rather than later. Though Merriweather may be back soon. Seriously "el Matador" Williams has let slip a go route on at least 7 occassions by my count with 4 of them being overthrown or dropped...1 of them was from a WILDCAT FORMATION!!!

The guy can tackle & helps in the run game, but hell...he bites on the mid-range routes & double-moves like he hasn't eaten in months.

That spot HAS to be priority #1 in the offseason. We need Safety help (yes...both Safety spots) so badly it's gonna hurt like an ulcer for the next 10 weeks (yes...INCLUDING THE BYE).

Here's a question...i like Perry a lot...but Fletch he is not, & Alexander ain't no spring chicken. If Safeties, WR/s, & OL are priorities (& you could even put CB a step above MLB), then what recourse do we have to fill the soon-to-be gaping hole at MLB???

Those don't usually grow on FA trees......& before you say it, we got lucky with Fletch.

Other way around & YES. Griffin actually was brought here to double at that position & it may happen sooner rather than later. Though Merriweather may be back soon. Seriously "el Matador" Williams has let slip a go route on at least 7 occassions by my count with 4 of them being overthrown or dropped...1 of them was from a WILDCAT FORMATION!!!

The guy can tackle & helps in the run game, but hell...he bites on the mid-range routes & double-moves like he hasn't eaten in months.

That spot HAS to be priority #1 in the offseason. We need Safety help (yes...both Safety spots) so badly it's gonna hurt like an ulcer for the next 10 weeks (yes...INCLUDING THE BYE).

Here's a question...i like Perry a lot...but Fletch he is not, & Alexander ain't no spring chicken. If Safeties, WR/s, & OL are priorities (& you could even put CB a step above MLB), then what recourse do we have to fill the soon-to-be gaping hole at MLB???

Those don't usually grow on FA trees......& before you say it, we got lucky with Fletch.

Hey, that sounds like another guy we've had playing safety in years past. The same one people want back.

Archived