Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall at FS, Start Cedric Griffin at Corner???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Its funny that we do not have a safety on the practice squad at this moment. We lost two members of the active roster in Bernstine and Jackson; Merriweather to injury and we do not have a safety in waiting. I would like the front office to get creative and perhaps sign Safety Damon Cromartie-Smith from the Steelers practice squad. This guy is 6-2, 210lbs and looks the part. The steelers safety position is locked up but he is waiting in the wings. The Steelers obviously like what this guy brings to the table. M. Williams have been in this league for 9 years and became a special teams player in SF; now he is a liability at the safety position for the team that we love. I like him as a humanitarian but he is not part of our future and isn't going to get any better. We need to make that call ASAP to get Cromartie-Smith in here. http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/damon-cromartie-smith/a9ac65fe-1e9c-445b-9758-34d08b579bfb/

---------- Post added October-23rd-2012 at 09:59 AM ----------

The kid's nickname is DC, what a coincidence!

Interesting thought. Might as well see what we have in Cedric Griffin. And I think D-Hall may be a great center fielder, as opposed to a cover corner. Hakeem Nicks terrorized him Sunday. However, as long as Haslett continues to have the corners not bump at the LOS, it's not really going to matter who is playing corner. I mean come on - zone defense on 2nd and Goal on the two yard line? Absolutely ridiculous.

The answer is a loud and clear no, it couldn't possibly be any worse. But now that it was brought up I actually like moving Griffin to FS and leaving Hall, our best CB where he is. I don't know enough about Griffin to know how he would fit at S though. Any thoughts?

Cedric Griffin was a FS in College at Texas before he was drafted so he has experience of the position - but its been a while since he played there. I would rather experiment with playing him there rather than move Hall.

I think Hall could be a good FS but he is a gambler who reads the QB. He is as likely to jump a short route looking for a pick and allow a receiver to blow past him deep as anyone.

Cedric Griffin is horrid in coverage, I don't want him and a slumping Josh Wilson back there and God knows who else. Hall would be a good free safety, but we can't leave the cornerback corp out to dry like that, we just don't have the depth or talent. I voted no.

Why did we cut Atogwe? I liked him. I think we should bring him back, why not?

I thought Merriweather was another run stuffer. Is that not the case?

It is. Merriweather is another guy better closer to the LOS than in deep coverage.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2012 at 11:32 AM ----------

I thought Merriweather was another run stuffer. Is that not the case?

It is. Merriweather is another guy better closer to the LOS than in deep coverage.

I voted no not because it's a bad idea but that Hall isn't a solid tackler. I mean sure having everything in front of Hall sounds nice and would play into his advantage but Hall one on one in space to make a tackle I just don't like his odds.

What is this rumor that Hall can't tackle. It's been proven time and again that he ranks among the top 5 in CB tackles. He got juked one time by Jake Delhomme and now everyone has this notion that he can't tackle. Every player gets juked. EVERY player.

Cedric Griffin was a FS in College at Texas before he was drafted so he has experience of the position - but its been a while since he played there. I would rather experiment with playing him there rather than move Hall.

I think Hall could be a good FS but he is a gambler who reads the QB. He is as likely to jump a short route looking for a pick and allow a receiver to blow past him deep as anyone.

Agree with this. I'd move Cedric to FS. He's too slow to play CB anymore, but would be faster and better than Williams. Give Crawford and Jones more playing time at CB. Move Hall to the slot on passing downs with Crawford and Wilson on the edges. And why was Wilson playing the slot on the play to Cruz? Should have been Hall, who is faster than Wilson.

Cedric Griffin is horrid in coverage, I don't want him and a slumping Josh Wilson back there and God knows who else. Hall would be a good free safety, but we can't leave the cornerback corp out to dry like that, we just don't have the depth or talent. I voted no.

Why did we cut Atogwe? I liked him. I think we should bring him back, why not?

Atogwe was injured and is still injured. I'm not sure why everyone wants to keep bringing this guy back. He did absolutely nothing while he was here. What did he do here that makes you want to bring him back?

DB free agents next year

Pos Player FA Status Previous Team Current Team

CB Michael Adams UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

SS Will Allen UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

CB Will D. Allen UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

FS Ronde Barber UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

SS Yeremiah Bell UFA New York Jets Free Agent

CB Tramaine Brock RFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

CB Sheldon Brown UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent

FS James Butler UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

CB Chris Carr UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

SS Sean Considine UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

SS Dashon Goldson FFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

CB Cedric Griffin UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

CB Brent Grimes UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

CB Joselio Hanson UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

CB Kelvin Hayden UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

CB Chris Houston UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

FS Tanard Jackson UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

CB Quentin Jammer UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

CB A.J. Jefferson RFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

CB Mike Jenkins UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

FS Rashad Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

CB Jacob Lacey UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

CB Patrick Lee UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

CB Keenan Lewis UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

CB Roy Lewis UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

CB Rashean Mathis UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent

CB Brice McCain UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

FS Ryan Mundy UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

SS Kenny Phillips UFA New York Giants Free Agent

FS Brodney Pool UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

CB Tracy Porter UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

CB Glover Quin UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

FS Ed Reed UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

CB Darrelle Revis UFA New York Jets Free Agent

FS Kerry Rhodes UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

FS James Sanders UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

CB Greg Toler UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

CB Marcus Trufant UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

CB DeMarcus Van Dyke UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

SS Ray Ventrone UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent

CB Cary Williams UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

CB Brian Witherspoon UFA New York Giants Free Agent

CB Charles Woodson UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2013#ixzz2A8uxGC7X

DB free agents next year

Pos Player FA Status Previous Team Current Team

CB Quentin Jammer UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

FS Ed Reed UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

CB Darrelle Revis UFA New York Jets Free Agent

CB Marcus Trufant UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2013#ixzz2A8uxGC7X

any one of the CB's plus Ed Reed (yes...i'd be ok with a decent-sized contract for an old Ed Reed......not too much, but yeah) & then a couple of youth-movement guys (though they're still grooming Gomes).............if only we weren't still getting hosed by the Mara penalty next offseason this would be semi-realistic.

**** you Mara

Shanny said himself during the post-game press conference that it was double coverage and they blew it.

correct, shanny stated it was double coverage and it was... so what are we arguing about? Williams had out side route and wilson had inside route- double coverage. no one had coverage over the top however, which led to the touchdown.

Its funny that we do not have a safety on the practice squad at this moment. We lost two members of the active roster in Bernstine and Jackson; Merriweather to injury and we do not have a safety in waiting. I would like the front office to get creative and perhaps sign Safety Damon Cromartie-Smith from the Steelers practice squad. This guy is 6-2, 210lbs and looks the part. The steelers safety position is locked up but he is waiting in the wings. The Steelers obviously like what this guy brings to the table. M. Williams have been in this league for 9 years and became a special teams player in SF; now he is a liability at the safety position for the team that we love. I like him as a humanitarian but he is not part of our future and isn't going to get any better. We need to make that call ASAP to get Cromartie-Smith in here. http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/damon-cromartie-smith/a9ac65fe-1e9c-445b-9758-34d08b579bfb/

---------- Post added October-23rd-2012 at 09:59 AM ----------

The kid's nickname is DC, what a coincidence!

DC has scheme knowledge and possess the speed that our current S group lacks. The guy Chris Russell mentioned Devin Holland has good speed too. Here's my thought from early:
Wishful personnel moves that won't happen:...................S:

o Our safeties are banged up to the point where are depth guys are starters and those guys are getting banged up. And considering the overall level of play has been sub-par why not bring in some depth guys. (Heck why not bring in some young journeyman and give them a good look?)

-I like Blake Gideon (Broncos) late of Texas, tons of playing experience in college so you would expect him to be a confident and smart player. Solid tackler that bring his arms and wraps not just 'hits'. Good size, decent speed.

- And DeShawn Shead' Don't know a bunch about this guy other then he plays for the Seattle(didn't watch him in college) but I trust Carrols eye for talent in the secondary. Former CB w/ good size/speed measurables too.

Link has a list of the NFL rosters/ practice squads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NFL_team_rosters

Any prospects you guys like that slipped through the cracks at RB or FS/SS or any positions?

I'll never understand people who say Hall won't be a good safety because he can't tackle. The dude can tackle well enough and he plays the ball well. And he'd be able to cover better then most safety's.

What about this makes no sense?

Watching a lot of tape on Hall, one can clearly see that his run defense and tackling probably has been the best part of his game this year

correct, shanny stated it was double coverage and it was... so what are we arguing about? Williams had out side route and wilson had inside route- double coverage. no one had coverage over the top however, which led to the touchdown.

Both of them were supposed to be covering Cruz at the same time. Wilson thought Williams was going to keep Cruz from getting behind him so he could foucs on staying between Cruz and Manning for a possible pick. That's typically how double coverage is supposed to work, squeeze the WR to make it less enticing for the QB to throw in that direction. By Williams letting Cruz get behind him, it became a foot race they both lost. He should've never been that close to the line of scrimage. Whether he was gambling or underestimated Cruz's speed doesn't matter. His job was to help Wilson and he did everything but that...

Not quite. Williams in that coverage has responsibility for the deep route - he read Eli taking a 3 step drop and anticipated the outside route and stayed flat. Cant do that if you are the FS in that game situation. The Giants had seen that on film and game planned for it - it also says a lot about our pass rush that the Giants were comfortable knowing they could protect on a 3 step drop with a deep shot called.

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 04:42 AM ----------

Next year we should be able to win more games without scoring more then we give up?

I think you have nailed it there. Scoring more than we give up is certainly the key :)

I wonder if we are going to go the Vet way at safety with Reed or Woodson. At least until we have a first round pick to draft a game changing safety. Although, there are many around the league who will say that Snyder is going the Old best days are behind them route again.

Archived